The Royal Forums Coat of Arms


Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
  #361  
Old 06-30-2019, 04:47 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,540
Quote:
Originally Posted by JR76 View Post
Would a nanny be expected to perform anything of educational value like a child would have gotten in a kindergarten or a pre-school or is their role "only" to keep the child clothed, fed and busy during the day?
I wouldn't think the nanny would be required in any way, shape or form responsible for educating the child but most definitely is there to correct the child when he misbehaves, teach him that "no" means "no" and to say "please" and "thank you". There may be educational toys and books and interactive playtimes and nap times and schedules and routines that both nanny and child adhere to at the wishes of the parents.

Having a nanny also adapts the child early on to easily adjusting to the fact that mom and dad may not be around because they need to "work" and as full time royals working for the "Firm", we know its not a 9-5 workday and can demand the parents to be gone mornings, afternoons and nights and even sometimes overnight. Nanny becomes something like a security blanket for both child and parents.
__________________

__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #362  
Old 06-30-2019, 05:32 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
I wouldn't think the nanny would be required in any way, shape or form responsible for educating the child but most definitely is there to correct the child when he misbehaves, teach him that "no" means "no" and to say "please" and "thank you". There may be educational toys and books and interactive playtimes and nap times and schedules and routines that both nanny and child adhere to at the wishes of the parents.

Having a nanny also adapts the child early on to easily adjusting to the fact that mom and dad may not be around because they need to "work" and as full time royals working for the "Firm", we know its not a 9-5 workday and can demand the parents to be gone mornings, afternoons and nights and even sometimes overnight. Nanny becomes something like a security blanket for both child and parents.
Nannies with a degree in early childhood education is becoming more and more of a thing. If you want a job with the kind of family who pays well, you better have one. Nannies are not seen simply as teaching them manners and daily tasks. They spend huge amounts of time with kids. The kids who do best in school are ones who are also worked with at home.
__________________

  #363  
Old 06-30-2019, 07:55 PM
soapstar's Avatar
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Hermosa Beach, United States
Posts: 5,871
A number of off-topic comments have been deleted. Let's stick to discussing the Sussex staff.
__________________
  #364  
Old 06-30-2019, 11:57 PM
JR76's Avatar
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Malmö, Sweden
Posts: 3,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
Nannies with a degree in early childhood education is becoming more and more of a thing. If you want a job with the kind of family who pays well, you better have one. Nannies are not seen simply as teaching them manners and daily tasks. They spend huge amounts of time with kids. The kids who do best in school are ones who are also worked with at home.
That was what I was thinking.
Thanks to those who replied to my question.
Either way, we can be sure that Archies parents chose the best person or persons they can to take care of him. Harry himself had a very close relationship to Clara Knight and to Tiggy Legge Burke so he knows how important it is to choose a good nanny. Many of them stay on in the royal households for decades and in some cases help take care of more than one generation of royal children - Clara Knight was the nanny of both the Queen Mum and her two daughters, Jessie Webb helped care for William, Harry, George and the Linley kids while Nenne Björnberg in Sweden ended up as the best friend of Princess Sibylla, the mother of the current king, and with the important position of Head Housekeeper at the Royal Palace while I believe that Tiggy ended up as a personal assistant of Prince Charles.
  #365  
Old 07-01-2019, 12:55 AM
theroyalfly's Avatar
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: May 2019
Location: N/A, Australia
Posts: 1,423
I saw a clip about this organization where Maria was from. They are not just really purely nannies. They are also skilled in other areas. They are also taught how self-defense and such. So I bet, royal kids learn from them too.
  #366  
Old 07-01-2019, 06:42 AM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,794
As to the Nanny situation, I can see there is no rush. Having said that, I hope they employ a Norlands Nanny. Their qualifications are unparalleled in the UK and their skills, from early childhood education to martial arts and defensive driving and even defensive pram pushing are truly amazing.

If you have to leave your darling for a daytime or evening engagement, you can't ask for better. What's more, you don't need a NDA as Norlands have their own.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #367  
Old 07-01-2019, 07:50 AM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,351
There was extensive discussion about the special skills and training received by Norlands nannies at the time the Cambridges employed Maria Borrallo, and their qualifications are very impressive, so if they could find the right person, a Norlands nanny would be a good choice. It will be interesting to see where the Sussexes end up finding their nanny, and how long it takes. With the tour now on the calendar, it seems to me finding someone who is the right fit would have become a priority, if they haven't already.
  #368  
Old 07-01-2019, 08:10 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
As to the Nanny situation, I can see there is no rush. Having said that, I hope they employ a Norlands Nanny. Their qualifications are unparalleled in the UK and their skills, from early childhood education to martial arts and defensive driving and even defensive pram pushing are truly amazing.

If you have to leave your darling for a daytime or evening engagement, you can't ask for better. What's more, you don't need a NDA as Norlands have their own.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
There was extensive discussion about the special skills and training received by Norlands nannies at the time the Cambridges employed Maria Borrallo, and their qualifications are very impressive, so if they could find the right person, a Norlands nanny would be a good choice. It will be interesting to see where the Sussexes end up finding their nanny, and how long it takes. With the tour now on the calendar, it seems to me finding someone who is the right fit would have become a priority, if they haven't already.
Great as the Norland nannies may be, I would be surprised if H&M got one. I suspect they probably view Norland nannies as being too traditional, and may want a more contemporary approach to childcare, perhaps somebody American?

Also, the Cambridges have gone Norland, so I doubt Meghan will follow that path.
  #369  
Old 07-01-2019, 02:01 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post
Great as the Norland nannies may be, I would be surprised if H&M got one. I suspect they probably view Norland nannies as being too traditional, and may want a more contemporary approach to childcare, perhaps somebody American?

Also, the Cambridges have gone Norland, so I doubt Meghan will follow that path.
If Harry and Meghan choose not to go Norland it is a choice they will make. Harry and William didn't have Norland nannies and they were very close to theirs. That may be an influence for them.

There are plenty of great nannies out there. Contrary to the DM and other newspapers, there isn't just the 'foreign Au pairs who barely speak English' vs the traditional British nanny. The UK isn't the only country whose nannies can be highly trained. Having early childhood education, first aid and a number of years experience are bare minimum fir a descent nanny job in the North America.

Seeing how Nanny Maria seems to be teaching the kids a bit of Spanish, a bilingual French speaking nanny may be a nice option.
  #370  
Old 07-01-2019, 03:01 PM
Osipi's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Posts: 16,540
With the presentation of the information of past nannies and their involvement with their royal families, its shown me one thing that is pretty clear to me. They're not just hiring a "babysitter" or a "child care specialist" or a "Mary Poppins" but in actuality, what they are doing is bringing another trusted family member into the home. One that will be there for the child for quite a bit of his/her lifetime day in and day out. Its not a decision to be made in haste and the fit has to be right not only between the nanny and the child but also between the nanny and the parents. They're going to trust their most beloved child to this person and finding the right fit may take some time.

As we've seen, the Cambridges used Nanny Webb at first. Why? Because of the trusting bond that William established with her over the years. The same with Tiggy Legge-Bourke whom Harry deemed close enough to him to want to introduce his then fiancee, Meghan, to her. In this respect, I think providing the information about previous nannies paints the clear picture of just what is involved with selecting the right nanny.

Clarification is a good thing and often adds depth and understanding to a discussion. They may hire a Norland nanny or they may opt for a "manny" but what really matters the most is how well whomever they do hire fits into the puzzle that is the growing Sussex family.
__________________
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else is the greatest accomplishment. ~~ Ralph Waldo Emerson ~~
  #371  
Old 07-01-2019, 03:10 PM
Ista's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Location: the West, United States
Posts: 3,351
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
With the presentation of the information of past nannies and their involvement with their royal families, its shown me one thing that is pretty clear to me. They're not just hiring a "babysitter" or a "child care specialist" or a "Mary Poppins" but in actuality, what they are doing is bringing another trusted family member into the home. One that will be there for the child for quite a bit of his/her lifetime day in and day out. Its not a decision to be made in haste and the fit has to be right not only between the nanny and the child but also between the nanny and the parents. They're going to trust their most beloved child to this person and finding the right fit may take some time.

As we've seen, the Cambridges used Nanny Webb at first. Why? Because of the trusting bond that William established with her over the years. The same with Tiggy Legge-Bourke whom Harry deemed close enough to him to want to introduce his then fiancee, Meghan, to her. In this respect, I think providing the information about previous nannies paints the clear picture of just what is involved with selecting the right nanny.

Clarification is a good thing and often adds depth and understanding to a discussion. They may hire a Norland nanny or they may opt for a "manny" but what really matters the most is how well whomever they do hire fits into the puzzle that is the growing Sussex family.
I agree. It's so much more complex than hiring another staff member, the connection is many times more intimate than any other position. The nanny is being entrusted with the physical, emotional, and mental wellbeing of the child, and the bonds are going to be very long-lasting. That's why I was wondering about the Sussexes process, and where they are looking. This is something they have to get right the first time.
  #372  
Old 07-01-2019, 05:21 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,794
^^^^^ I was looking at the security aspect with Norlands Nanny's or Manny's as a plus on top of all the usual Nanny requirements.

Whether the Cambridges have a Norland Nanny is irrelevant when it comes to what's best for Archie.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #373  
Old 07-01-2019, 05:31 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
They will do what is best for their household. Diana made waves too when she went to a new style of nanny not in keeping with previous ways.

Harry and William benefited from it.


LaRae
  #374  
Old 07-01-2019, 09:10 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
Quote:
Originally Posted by MARG View Post
^^^^^ I was looking at the security aspect with Norlands Nanny's or Manny's as a plus on top of all the usual Nanny requirements.

Whether the Cambridges have a Norland Nanny is irrelevant when it comes to what's best for Archie.
Security is not as much an issue. The royal children will have protection officers on them. Being able to 'defensive drive a pram' is likely on low end of priorities.
  #375  
Old 07-02-2019, 09:04 PM
MARG's Avatar
Majesty
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Posts: 9,794
Wasn't it Catherine who liked to dress down and walk in Kensington Park (which is utterly beautiful and has more than a few strollers). Since Harry's crazies have declared him a race traitor and we've all read what they call Meghan, the lord only knows what the nutters think about the fruit of that union.

Princess Anne is living proof that there are nutters out there ready to put thoughts into action so, I would think every little edge counts and it is unnecessary to be so dismissive.

During Anne's attempted kidnapping, her Chauffeur and Protection Officer where shot and the PO's PPK jammed, a passing pedestrian (ex-boxer) punched the assailant in the back of the head and helped Anne away, meanwhile, another (unarmed) police officer happened upon the scene and was shot but not before he managed to call for help.

In those days even HM only had one protection officer when off duty so to speak.

Even crazies are better armed these days.
__________________
MARG
"Words ought to be a little wild, for they are assaults of thoughts on the unthinking." - JM Keynes
  #376  
Old 07-02-2019, 10:51 PM
Countessmeout's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: alberta, Canada
Posts: 12,817
I am sorry but if someone crazy enough to gun down a RPO came after Archie o highly doubt defensive pram driving will help.

Nanny defensive driving is more for those nannies without the luxury of security teams.

Not downplaying a danger a royal may face. Simply how effective Norland training is in protecting the child. If really that concerning a nanny can be given self defender classes easy enough
  #377  
Old 07-03-2019, 05:00 AM
Serene Highness
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Scotland, United Kingdom
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I am sorry but if someone crazy enough to gun down a RPO came after Archie o highly doubt defensive pram driving will help.

Nanny defensive driving is more for those nannies without the luxury of security teams.

Not downplaying a danger a royal may face. Simply how effective Norland training is in protecting the child. If really that concerning a nanny can be given self defender classes easy enough
Regardless of Norland or any other nanny, I find the comment ' defensive pram driving' rather flippant. WE have experienced terror attacks in Britain as have many other countries. All the family including a nanny would be prepared by the security services in how to react in the event of various scenarios.
  #378  
Old 07-03-2019, 05:04 AM
muriel's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: London / Guildford, United Kingdom
Posts: 10,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ista View Post
I agree. It's so much more complex than hiring another staff member, the connection is many times more intimate than any other position. The nanny is being entrusted with the physical, emotional, and mental wellbeing of the child, and the bonds are going to be very long-lasting. That's why I was wondering about the Sussexes process, and where they are looking. This is something they have to get right the first time.
You are right, getting the right nanny for your children can be a complex, involved process. This is especially so when you are dealing with care for babies, as they can be so vulnerable. Often, the situation is further complicated with the associated guilt of leaving the baby in the care of another person.

I don't believe we will know much about the childcare support that H&M put in place. I am perfectly fine with is, as it is indeed a private matter for them.
  #379  
Old 07-03-2019, 06:20 PM
Pranter's Avatar
Imperial Majesty
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Midwest, United States
Posts: 12,310
Just finding a good babysitter can be a nightmare...it must be even worse trying to find a nanny!


LaRae
  #380  
Old 07-03-2019, 06:40 PM
Heir Apparent
 
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: Wherever, United States
Posts: 5,875
Heather Wong was spotted at Harry’s engagement for Diana Awards. So much for the reports that she left. I guess the moral of this is not to listen to every unverified report about their staff.
__________________

Closed Thread


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Staff of the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge Zonk The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family 527 02-21-2021 04:47 AM
The Royal Foundation of Duke & Duchess of Cambridge and Duke & Duchess of Sussex ghost_night554 British Royals 574 09-07-2019 12:14 AM




Popular Tags
american archie mountbatten-windsor baby names baptism birth britain britannia british british royal family british royals brownbitcoinqueen buckingham palace camilla's family camilla parker-bowles camilla parker bowles carolin china chinese clarence house cpr dresses dubai duchess of sussex duke of sussex earl of snowdon general news thread george vi gradenigo hello! hereditary grand duchess stéphanie hereditary grand duke guillaume history hochberg house of windsor hypothetical monarchs jewellery kensington palace king edward vii list of rulers luxembourg meghan markle monarchy mountbatten names nepalese royal family pless prince charles of luxembourg prince harry princess alexia (2005 -) princess chulabhorn princess dita princess eugenie princess laurentien princess of orange princess ribha queen consort queen elizabeth ii queen louise resusci anne royal jewels royalty of taiwan solomon j solomon sussex swedish queen thailand thai royal family tradition uae customs united states wales


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:08 PM.

Social Knowledge Networks

eXTReMe Tracker
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2021
Jelsoft Enterprises
×