The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 07:56 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
This marvellous error on the strapline is confirmed as genuine [it actually relates to the German Governmental kerfuffle..

Old 11-28-2017, 08:15 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Nimue View Post
Someone just pm'd me mentioning that Victoria with Daniel at their wedding was very tactile, to the extent of brushing aside a tear on his cheek. I am reminded how tactile Diana was in public, so that a critique of Meghan's tactile habits starts to sound contradictory. If Diana is to be valued for her ability to reach out and touch people, should not the woman Harry, her son, chooses as wife, be lauded for that very same quality? Just wondering.

It's too early to be talking about what will eventuate, of course, they may not even know themselves (even with Harry's hinting in that direction), but I have a hunch joint appearances will not be as often as might be now envisioned. The two couples may be too different in manner to withstand the critique. Just a thought.
Yes, they will do joint engagements together from time to time. Especially through the Royal Foundation.

A.W. TOZER
Old 11-28-2017, 08:19 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacqui24 View Post
Two more things from their interview:

1. What books did they talk about on the first date?!?!
2. I love that the commonwealth got a shout out from Meghan today. Itís her first interview as a future member of the royal family.
She's lived in Canada for the last 7 years, so I am not surprised - but it is indeed good to see a future family member being very much aware that the Queen is not just the head of state of the UK.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:20 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess Squirrel View Post
To those who are still detracting, I say this: Meghan will take to her new role like a duck to water, but even if she didn't, I actually believe that Harry loves his fiancťe enough to forfeit his place in the line of succession, and live privately, supported financially by his father and brother rather modestly. IF. But they're going to be a brilliant team.
Even if she needs more time to adjust and adapt, I donít see him having to give up his place in line of succession because itís actually very unlikely heíll be king. And Meghan will have all the support she needs. Harry saying that she is capable of doing anything in the interview was so heartwarming and you can tell heís no lt just saying it, but rather believes in it wholeheartedly. Itís amazing to have someone that has that much faith in you.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frelinghighness View Post
Think of maxima of the Netherlands, mary of Denmark, they both gave up their citizenship and they were crown princesses, future monarchs, not like Megan. They had to learn a new language too. In the bra, both the duchesse of Gloucester and princess Michael of Kent are danish abs Austrian respectively and gave up their citizenship and spoke new languages
MŠxima still has the Argentinian nationality. The Argentinian law does not allow her to give up her citizenship; so she has both Dutch and Argentinian nationality. Had she been able to give it up, she would have.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

HRH The Duchess of Cambridge said she was "thrilled" at the news of Harry and Meghan's engagement!

Old 11-28-2017, 08:24 AM
Super Moderator
Picture of the Week Coordinator

I’ve moved and deleted a number of off-topic posts. This thread isn’t about politics, wedding guests, or Kate. As has been mentioned in an earlier mod note, if you wish to discuss specifics about the wedding (such as the venue and who will get an invite), please take it to the Wedding Suggestions thread. Also, let’s please not get into a Kate vs Meghan thing. It’s not a competition and trying to make it into one is quite unfair to both women.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:30 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRoyalCouturier View Post
I didn't know the archbishop issued a statement. I'm so glad they'll get to have a "normal" wedding.

I'm really sad that this will be the last grand royal wedding in Europe for at least 20 years though!
Europe has many more royal families... For example, the Duchess of Brabant turned 16 last month. I wouldn't be surprised at all if she gets married in her 20s (just like her mother did); and some of the other teenager prince(sse)s (including heirs or their brothers or sisters) might get married before 2038 as well. I for example expect weddings in both the Luxembourgish and Liechtenstein families within the next 20 years - you might not consider them 'grand' - but still. So, I don't think you have to wait another 20 years for a 'grand royal wedding' (Harry's probably will be quite small by comparison as I don't expect that many foreign royals as he doesn't really know them).
Old 11-28-2017, 08:33 AM
Heir Presumptive

Camilla gushes over Meghan Markle during visit to Stoke | Daily Mail Online
Old 11-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico View Post
How nice !
Do I detect a hint of irony in the Duchess of Cornwall's remarks ? Add to that the very protocol comments by the Duchess of Cambridge and it makes me think that the other ladies in the family may be not so enthusiastic about Harry's choice after all.

BTW, see below the Cambridge English dictionary definitiion of "gush". i.e. the verb used in the DM's headline:

Quote:
to express a positive feeling, especially praise, in such a strong way that it does not sound sincere:

Old 11-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Imperial Majesty

I'm not sure why you are leaning that direction Mbruno.

LaRae
Old 11-28-2017, 08:39 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
Do I detect a hint of irony in the Duchess of Cornwall's remarks ? Add to that the very protocol comments by the Duchess of Cambridge and it makes me think that the other ladies in the family may be not so enthusiastic about Harry's choice after all.
Oh here we go again. Can we please stop putting the ladies against each other? I noticed in general itís always the women that are suspected not to get along. The Duchess of Cornwall actually said a lot more including that Americaís loss is our gain and that itís nice to have a bit of good news in a world where there are a lot dreary news. I do think sheís thrilled.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:41 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pranter View Post
I'm not sure why you are leaning that direction Mbruno.

LaRae
I am just reacting to their comments and to the DM's take on the story, which I think is a fair point.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:43 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
a hint of irony in the Duchess of Cornwall's remarks ?
No, NONE.. They know Harry and love him, how could they POSSIBLY be 'less than enthusiastic' at his obvious joy ?
Old 11-28-2017, 08:46 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Countessmeout View Post
I was surprised to learn they were in Botswana in the past. I actually like they went so soon after dating. Having a long distance relationship and having little ways to have privacy it makes a lot of sense. It makes the use of a Botswana diamond even more special.
I think almost everyone was surprised about the first Botswana trip. All the time Norway was considered their 'first trip together' and where he should propose etc; while it was Botswana that has a special place in their relationship - now symbolized by the ring - it was quite a step to do so after only two dates!

Harry was in Africa that summer for his wildlife volunteer work, so as he said 'it happened to be the perfect gap' (in their diaries - at a place that has become significant to them because of these first 5 days in which they really got to know each other).
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
I am just reacting to their comments and to the DM's take on the story, which I think is a fair point.
Just take a look at the video included in the article, she says a bit more and seems genuinely happy.
Heir Apparent

Quote:
If you watch the video of Camilla or read all of her comments in the DM article, thatís not a fair point.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:47 AM
Imperial Majesty

As close as Harry is to his family there is very little likely hood he would marry someone who wasn't welcomed by his family or marry a woman who didn't care for his family.

LaRae
Old 11-28-2017, 08:48 AM
Heir Presumptive

Here we are :

Old 11-28-2017, 08:50 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:

BTW, see below the Cambridge English dictionary definitiion of "gush". i.e. the verb used in the DM's headline:

[/B]
It seems like no comment would be taken as they are. Kate's 'protocol' comments aren't good, and Camilla's gushing comments are not sincere. What would've bern the appropriate comment from them?

I'm making my bets on both ladies being happy and thrilled for Harry, and his choice of woman, Meghan.

Closed Thread