Engagement of Prince Harry of Wales and Meghan Markle: November 27, 2017

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah you're both probably right. It just was so extreme and unlike anything they have done that I felt it was likely some last grand thing to show her how serious he was about her and prove he was worth the trouble. And that is likely still the case but the intentions of why were different. Correct in they do seem solid and per that interview that seemed to have talked a lot about all the baggage that comes with being with a royal. At the time she just was getting in from all sides so maybe she her first taste of it even shocked Harry. They also alluded to that as well. He was shocked and this is from a man who has lived it his entire life. So I guess it does make sense from that standpoint.

She was different than previous royal girlfriends in terms of race, profession, and of course the American divorcee angle. At least in the digital age. That’s honestly a lot for royal reporters to work with in terms of making things sound salacious. I think it was shocking that, in 2017, they were so blatant about some things.

What was telling for me was that, in addition to Harry’s statement, William also issued a statement on this. He obviously wasn’t so blatant about it and didn’t mention Meghan by name. But it’s not a coincidence that DM decided to run a story about how William wasn’t happy about the statement while Harry was on a boat in the Caribbean with limited communication capabilities. William actually stepped up for his brother publicly and explicitly said through and official statement that he understands the issue of privacy and supports Harry and the need for Harry to support those closest to him.

Last edited:
I don't think she was ready to leave him...they mentioned this in the interview. They were both pretty overwhelmed at the reaction when the news broke. It might of even made her question if she could handle the craziness..I'm sure they talked about it and based on what Harry has said he gave her an out early on when they had a frank discussion. You can love someone but that doesn't mean you are willing or even able to deal with media pressure of the type the BRF deal with at times.

They handled it well, they turned toward each other and shut the noise out.

LaRae

What was telling for me was that, in addition to Harry’s statement, William also issued a statement on this. He obviously wasn’t so blatant about it and didn’t mention Meghan by name. But it’s not a coincidence that DM decided to run a story about how William wasn’t happy about the statement while Harry was on a boat in the Caribbean with limited communication capabilities. William actually stepped up for his brother publicly and explicitly said through and official statement that he understands the issue of privacy and supports Harry and the need for Harry to support those closest to him.

Yes, I completely forgot that William also released his statement after the press tried to pit them against each other. Then the press starting running that she had been introduced to William and Kate (which was probably true) to save face and spin things into a semi positive once made to look silly. But yes it makes sense that all the media stuff was extremely overwhelming and that is likely when those "frank conversations" he spoke of happened. They were serious but she has to be willing to put up with this side of being with him too. They figured it out.

Yes, I completely forgot that William also released his statement after the press tried to pit them against each other. Then the press starting running that she had been introduced to William and Kate (which was probably true) to save face and spin things into a semi positive once made to look silly. But yes it makes sense that all the media stuff was extremely overwhelming and that is likely when those "frank conversations" he spoke of happened. They were serious but she has to be willing to put up with this side of being with him too. They figured it out.

Harry said that conversation happened couple of months into the relationship. That was well before November. There is no way he would’ve not talked about this with her before then. In fact, they talked about how he tried to prepare her even before the media got wind of them.

Harry said that conversation happened couple of months into the relationship. That was well before November. There is no way he would’ve not talked about this with her before then. In fact, they talked about how he tried to prepare her even before the media got wind of them.

I have no question they talked about what it would be like once the press finally got wind of them but even they were shocked by how big it was. I just think when it all was happening they really sat down and discussed the relationship. How could they not? It is one thing to say "I'm good." when you not living it and confirming it when you are in the thick of it. Wasn't he rumored to be with her in Toronto when it became public?

I have no question they talked about what it would be like once the press finally got wind of them but even they were shocked by how big it was. I just think when it all was happening they really sat down and discussed the relationship. How could they not? It is one thing to say "I'm good." when you not living it and confirming it when you are in the thick of it. Wasn't he rumored to be with her in Toronto when it became public?

That visit didn’t have anything to do with the news breaking. He was already there when the news broke. That’s the time where apparently Eugenie and Jack were in town as well and they all went to a costume party at Soho House in Toronto. Things didn’t get really bad until he was gone. He wasn’t there when they tried to break into the house. I’m sure they’ve had conversations about how to deal with the situation as it evolved. But I highly doubt it was to give her an out at that point. Of course, she could’ve gotten out at any point, but I just felt like their conversations were more about what they can do as a response for some of the irresponsible behavior in media. She was in London with him already by the time that statement came out and it was about a week after the initial story came out.

While I don't think Harry had any imminent fear of Meghan walking away, I do think the statement was meant to show Meghan how serious and important she and the relationship is to him. At that point, they hadn't been dating very long, so there was probably no guarantee that Meghan would want stick to around and take on everything that comes with being with him. And Harry probably didn't want to take the chance of losing her. From what he said in the interview, it's likely that he knew he was in love with her by then.

Yes per the interview he knew by 2 months in he loved her and hoped she loved him and they had that big talk about here's what this all means if we take this long term.

In her head she knew it would be big news but personally dealing with the craziness that went on when it went public did rather overwhelm her. Can't blame her either. Harry was caught off guard too but I think more about the attacks than the attention.

That statement sent all kinds of signals..we talked about that here when it happened.

LaRae

While I don't think Harry had any imminent fear of Meghan walking away, I do think the statement was meant to show Meghan how serious and important she and the relationship is to him. At that point, they hadn't been dating very long, so there was probably no guarantee that Meghan would want stick to around and take on everything that comes with being with him. And Harry probably didn't want to take the chance of losing her. From what he said in the interview, it's likely that he knew he was in love with her by then.

Yes, exactly. This is what I mean. I don't think she was looking or outs or he was giving her any. She a grown woman. She would have just left if she wasn't in it. But I do think it coming public was a lot and bigger than they expected. I am sure even Harry had to at least worry a bit that it might even be more than she wants to handle even if neither spoke it. It was a lot. He was clearly head over in record time so that thought had to terrify him. It all worked out and she clearly wanted to make it work as well but those initial days of it coming out has to be insane for them.

Let's get back to the engagement, please.

Catharina-Amalia of Netherlands is wearing the same dress as Meghan's.
In several MEDIA outlets, Meghan's dress was reported to be in the $75,000 range! I thought WOW! and now Princess CA is a similar dress - WOW
Dutch Royal Family Released Their A 2017 Christmas Photo | Newmyroyals & Hollywood Fashion

Wrong dress. It is her engagement photo dress, the ballgown, which was reported to be upwards of $75,000. The dress Amalia is wearing is the dress Meghan wore to the family Christmas lunch at Buckingham.

Her Christmas party dress was from self portrait, definitely not that price tag. It cost 300 pounds (though was on sale for 180 recently)

https://www.express.co.uk/life-styl...markle-prince-harry-queen-dress-self-portrait

Here is an 'body language' analysis of Harry & Meghan's engagement interview. The poster makes some interesting observations about their body language - I don't know if he's right - its just some interesting to think about. No bombshell 'revelations' or predictions of doom or anything, just observations about their body language. (I tried to post this earlier, but it didn't show up - sorry if it ends up in a double post)

I don't put much stock into so called body language experts. But this guy put me off when he started saying the interviewer was mentally unstable because of how much white of her eye she was showing in 5 seconds of an interview.

Mentality unstable because there is to much white of her eyes showing.......who the heck is this character? And we are to believe this stuff coming out of his mouth and why? IMHO this is another character wanting 15 minutes of fame and then maybe a half second more of fame..........?

The unstable's are creeping out of the worm holes in the woodwork for sure now....:eek:

Oh I didn’t see that bit about eyes

First couple seconds of the interview. Before he moved on to Harry and Meghan. Said her eyes were a sign of mental instability and likely depression. That her eyebrows said she was too serious and in control, probably unromantic. Even criticized her wearing purple, saying it symbolized the death of Christ, and therefor she was cold.

That was an interesting and ridiculous video. I am into signs and body language stuff but some of that was just so over the top especially about the interview. It immediately took me out with that and made it hard to take anything else serious though he did have some interesting comments that I too felt watching. Mostly his comments about her work. I also got the sense watching that Harry was uncomfortable hearing her work (aka independence) but I took it more that he knows what she gave up for him and he doesn't like her being reminded.

I don't put much stock into so called body language experts. But this guy put me off when he started saying the interviewer was mentally unstable because of how much white of her eye she was showing in 5 seconds of an interview.

I agree that the comments about the interviewers eyes and wearing purple were odd.

I found it interesting that he thought Harry liked that their 'story' was a bit of a whirlwind. He also thought that Harry might not be sure his dad fully approved. Again, I have no idea if this body-language guy has any insight - its just interesting to try to read what they're really thinking

I wrote that body language expert off completely due to the comments about the interviewer. Many of these experts imho insert a lot of their own ideals and expectation into their expert reading, and step into commenting about things they simply cannot comment about based on one interview, when not even being the one doing the interview. I think Charles was mentioned once very shortly in that interview, and this expert jumps to big conclusions over those 5 or so seconds.

I think he was right about Meghan being the "serious" one and Harry being interested in the unconventionality of the marriage.

I think Harry often times comes across quite serious in the relationship too. So much of that analysis was about the experts own opinions and interpretation based on that. Where the heck did that 'maybe he thinks his dad doesn't really approve' cone from. Charles wasn't even mentioned. He also assumed that the word 'cottage' was downplaying their home, but isn't it a quite cozy smallish cottage?

:previous: It is smaller and intimate but most people just know that he lives at Kensington Palace and imagine him in this *huge* domicile and don't realize that he actually lives in an outbuilding called Nottingham Cottage.

So "our cottage" was quite right on the money. :D

Both of them strike me as having a deep thinker side, but also understand the importance of finding humor in life.

As for unconventional. Well, we have to keep in mind that it’s not just Harry that led an unconventional life before this. I remember watching all the TV specials once the engagement was announced, and there was one thing that caught my attention at the end of one. The commentator was commenting on how important it was for Harry to find someone that shares his passion for his work, and while many can say they love giving back, how many people can actually say they’ve been to Rwanda or they’ve given speech at UN for gender equality. So while Meghan seemed like one of us normal folks, she truly was quite unconventional in her own right.

As for body language, while I do believe there are tall tale signs in how we act, I’ve always had issues with it being used in this way. Part of it is because they have no context. Does Meghan, after being an actress for years and observing herself on camera, refrain from certain natural behavior because it looks odd on TV? Does Harry clam up a bit in front of cameras? And so on. These are questions we can’t answer unless we’ve seen them in their natural state. And this renders this unreliable at best.

Last edited:
Not that I'm defending him personally but it's rather ironic to see posters dismissing that video. On this board, on a daily basis, posters make statements about which royals like each other or not, which royals are good parents or not, which families are warm and loving or not, with no more evidence than photographs and short video snippets!

No different to what the fellow in that video did. He likely knows no less about how royals truly feel than the rest of us. This is why I feel we should be reluctant to make any judgements on how these people really feel about one another on the basis of split second photos or staged videos.

That man claims to be some sort of body language expert, and is claiming depression and mental issues on the interviewer. None of us claim to have any expertise, we are simply discussing our opinions, and often state, that we could be wrong.

There was a quote about Princess Grace. A member of another royal family said ‘how can I ever trust her, she’s an actress’. Meaning how will I ever know the real Princess Grace.

I think we’re seeing some of that with Meghan Markle.

There was a quote about Princess Grace. A member of another royal family said ‘how can I ever trust her, she’s an actress’. Meaning how will I ever know the real Princess Grace.

That is with everyone if we are being completely honest. No one really shows their true self to strangers and the royal family are the biggest actors of them all. It is a show. Of course we are seeing that with Meghan. We seeing that with just about all public figures.

Queen Frediriki of Greece said that about Princess Grace.. When you take in to account how and who Frederiki was, I think it says more about her that Princess Grace.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom