Duke and Duchess of Sussex: Future Duties, Roles and Responsibilities

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Telegraph story is still pushing the Cambridge - Sussex feud claiming Harry didn't talk to William at the service. But a tour to Commonwealth countries in Africa would make sense since they have Commonwealth positions. Looking forward to a US tour.

No shock that the DM has now chimed in to stir the pot :bang:

Parts of this are so ridiculous. Canada was ruled out because Meghan has lived there?? :whistling: Trying to make it look like they want her as uncomfortable as possible. Sending them to Canada or Australia would not make them 'basically king and queen of their own country'. Yes, if Harry was made GG by the queen he would represent her, but not be ruler there. And I highly doubt that they would make Harry GG. If, and I mean IF they went abroad, it would be some charitable role.

Australia or Canada would make more sense if really want to sell this story. They are the queen's realms. Where they could do more work

Also we have to consider the baby. Moving to a poor African country with a baby doesn't sound plausible at all. Even less then the rest of this.

When the truth that this story is a hoax comes out, there is an easy way to save face. It will just be 'it was decided best they remain in the UK and simply travel more abroad'.

Last edited by a moderator:
THIS is suppose to be the clean up of this mess?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...al-Royals-celebrate-Queens-93rd-birthday.html

They're trying to say Harry always wanted to do a sabbatical but it is still going at the getting away from Will and Kate angle.

Logic tells me that if Harry (and Meghan) really, really were thinking of doing a "sabbatical", they never would have accepted the various positions from the Queen in relation to the Commonwealth. One doesn't accept these kind of positions and then go "Sayonara amigos! I'm off to join the circus for a while. Hasta la vista!"

It seems to me that there's been a lot of hoaxing and spinning and plain tinfoil hat conspirators abounding in the journalistic world these days. :eek:

Logic tells me that if Harry (and Meghan) really, really were thinking of doing a "sabbatical", they never would have accepted the various positions from the Queen in relation to the Commonwealth. One doesn't accept these kind of positions and then go "Sayonara amigos! I'm off to join the circus for a while. Hasta la vista!"

It seems to me that there's been a lot of hoaxing and spinning and plain tinfoil hat conspirators abounding in the journalistic world these days. :eek:

Not just in the journalistic world, either. There's plenty of that going on in places likes forums and message boards, too. I've never seen so many people so eager to connect nonexistent dots and jump with both feet into the muck. All without a single shred of evidence. It's mind boggling.

I think the media world is being inventive and spinning a yarn while awaiting the birth.
Nothing more than imaginative story telling.
It's akin to the notion of bored children displaying more creativity at play.

If it is a given that the truth shall set you free, then we're all being held hostage and prisoners of half truths, exaggerations, figments of imagination and just plain soap opera script writing.

The fact that this nonsense is so wide spread and so believed by so many people as "gospel truth", it shows me that humanity cannot and will not logically think for themselves and look to the pundits to tell them what to think.

Beam me up Scotty! There ain't no intelligent life left here. :beamup:

Also we have to consider the baby. Moving to a poor African country with a baby doesn't sound plausible at all. Even less then the rest of this.

When the truth that this story is a hoax comes out, there is an easy way to save face. It will just be 'it was decided best they remain in the UK and simply travel more abroad'. I am sure there will be a Meghan 'through a tantrum and threatened to take the baby and move back to the US and sell a tell all' spin.

You make it sound as though there's no running water, indoor plumbing, electricity or central HVAC in Africa. I'm sure that should Harry and Meghan relocate to "a poor African country with a baby" they would have all of those basic amenities not to mention a gated, fully landscaped and luxurious modern compound with access to the best doctors and health care possible. In other words, exactly what they have in the UK, or could have in Australia, Canada or the US.

However, I don't know that I think this story is entirely a hoax. There have been persistent rumors, dating back to before either William or Harry was married, that Harry would love nothing more than to "run off to Africa" to live his life. It's hard to separate fact from conjecture, especially when it comes to the BRF... I will say, watching the video of this morning's arrivals at St George's Chapel, it's painfully obvious that there is something amiss between William and Harry.

You make it sound as though there's no running water, indoor plumbing, electricity or central HVAC in Africa. I'm sure that should Harry and Meghan relocate to "a poor African country with a baby" they would have all of those basic amenities not to mention a gated, fully landscaped and luxurious modern compound with access to the best doctors and health care possible. In other words, exactly what they have in the UK, or could have in Australia, Canada or the US.

However, I don't know that I think this story is entirely a hoax. There have been persistent rumors, dating back to before either William or Harry was married, that Harry would love nothing more than to "run off to Africa" to live his life. It's hard to separate fact from conjecture, especially when it comes to the BRF... I will say, watching the video of this morning's arrivals at St George's Chapel, it's painfully obvious that there is something amiss between William and Harry.

The difference being in Canada it would already be there. They would just have to take over a home, with the infrastructure and everything in place. And concerns like security covered.

If they were to move to Lesotho who is going to cover the cost of this compound you suggest be created? The security costs would be much higher. Having the doctors and such on hand. This isn't infrastructure already in place in some of the countries being suggested. Not to mention things like schooling for their child if they were there for a few years. The costs for such a move, after the cost put into Frogmore, would be at the very worst a bad PR move. Not to mention the image of them living in some fancy gated compound surrounded by the 'common people'.

If Harry had really wanted the 'African sabatical' as it is now being called, he would have taken one years ago before he married and had kids.

As for today why?? Harry needs to be attached at the hip to his brother? He had plenty of family and he looked to be having a nice chat with Zara from what I have seen.

The difference being in Canada it would already be there. They would just have to take over a home, with the infrastructure and everything in place. And concerns like security covered.

If they were to move to Lesotho who is going to cover the cost of this compound you suggest be created? The security costs would be much higher. Having the doctors and such on hand. This isn't infrastructure already in place in some of the countries being suggested. Not to mention things like schooling for their child if they were there for a few years. The costs for such a move, after the cost put into Frogmore, would be at the very worst a bad PR move. Not to mention the image of them living in some fancy gated compound surrounded by the 'common people'.

I

You have an extremely odd notion of life in African countries. I have no doubt that luxury compounds exist, with all the mod cons (electricity! running water! air conditioning! etc.) because those areas have existed in those countries for many, many years. I lived in several of them and that was decades ago. No matter how advanced Baby Sussex is, I doubt s/he would need schooling in the first 2 to 3 years of life, but if s/he does, there are also schools, including cooperative schools, which are usually attended by ex-pats and the diplomatic community. As barriers to this speculative plan go, lack of suitable housing is low down on the list.

The Telegraph story is still pushing the Cambridge - Sussex feud claiming Harry didn't talk to William at the service. But a tour to Commonwealth countries in Africa would make sense since they have Commonwealth positions. Looking forward to a US tour.

This looks very much like talking to me...

Clean up on aisle 4! Now it's being sold as tradition

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...ed-younger-members-far-flung-parts-world.html

The hard sell of this is so evident. And since the queen went to Africa as part of her preparation to rule and make that defining speech on her 21st birthday why can't the Cambridges make the same trip so they can be prepared to be sovereign and consort?

Well... I'm flabbergasted. This is one Daily Fail article that is very much well worth taking the time to read. If there is anyone that knows well the workings of the monarchy and foreign tours and the meaning behind them, it would be Robert Hardman. Most the information relayed can be found in his "Our Queen" and his "Queen of the World" books which I heartily recommend.

This is serious reporting which is kind of rare for the Fail. I have read Hardmans' books and thoroughly have enjoyed them and gleaned a lot of information from them.

There is hope after all. Scotty.... delay that beam me up wish will ya? ?

Last edited:
I don't know who hatched this plan to send Harry and Megan to Africa but the fact BP gave a response within 24 hours they realized this is going down wrong. William and Kate should have been working on their royal roles long before Harry met Megan.

I agree with you generally. However, it's not as if the Cambridges weren't 'working on their royal roles.' They were just fairly low key and were trying to live more of a normal life in the early years of their marriage, focusing on parenting. I think this was always with the blessing of the Queen and Prince Charles. The Queen in particular was likely reminded of how having to take on royal duties very early after her father's death, ended up causing cracks in her marriage.

Also, everyone surely wished to avoid any repeat of an unhappy royal wife (as Diana became) and so the Cambridges were allowed every opportunity to enjoy their married life and to take a leisurely approach toward assuming royal duties. Prince William especially wished to continue working as an air ambulance pilot for as long as he could. And in any case, when the Cambridges first married, the Queen and Prince Philip both were still involved with full schedules. Now Pip is retired and the Queen has been pulling back more and more from public appearances, as she hands off a number of her patronages to Prince Charles and to the younger royals.

So, everyone's courtship and life trajectory are different.

Harry & Meghan were both older when they met, and thus more mature in terms of knowing themselves, their personal goals, and the projects they wish to pursue. It would be helpful for all if personal insecurities would dissipate, and that the younger royals would all simply support each other and be inspired by each other.

Last edited:

Looks like talking to me, too. With smiles and everything, imagine that.

The Daily Mail article is an interesting read. While we have no idea how serious the Commonwealth-abroad-posting idea is, if it were something that Meghan and Harry had either requested, or were enthusiastically in favor of, I think it might be a good thing. It would give them some breathing space, and that was something that the Queen really mourned the loss of when she had to come back from Malta. It was the closest to a normal life that she ever had.

It's becoming obvious that the current situation for the Sussexes is untenable in the long run, and while Frogmore Cottage provides a much needed zone of privacy, I'm wondering if there are not other options, in addition to the one in the news today, that are being considered.

Last edited:
About an hour ago Victoria Arbiter was on CNN in the US talking about Baby Sussex, the British press griping about no presentation, potential names and the Africa move. Arbiter mentioned the queen and Philip lived in Malta for a couple of years and William and Kate living in Anseley.

The most recent article in the DM:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...al-Royals-celebrate-Queens-93rd-birthday.html

Speaks of a six- month secondment in the next few years, brainstorming only, no formal discussions...
Meghan will have to get her citizenship in order and birth a baby or two before any of this is remotely likely to happen. And they may be needed sooner than we think if Charles becomes King sooner than expected...this story is a bunch of hooey!
So the Cambridges and the Sussexes are just gonna have to keep fighting for a few years.

About an hour ago Victoria Arbiter was on CNN in the US talking about Baby Sussex, the British press griping about no presentation, potential names and the Africa move. Arbiter mentioned the queen and Philip lived in Malta for a couple of years and William and Kate living in Anseley. There is apparently worry of perceptions in the US media.

:previous: Yes, indeed. The Queen and Prince Philip were even younger than William and Kate were when they married. I'm sure living in Wales and having that memorable time to adjust to young married life was very special for William and Kate.

... I'm wondering if there are not other options, in addition to the one in the news today, that are being considered.

I see nothing wrong with the idea of this. Heck, I've already imagined and previously voiced the possibility of this one day happening at some point after the Sussexes have a couple of young kids. But the way the discussion was rolled out in the press has been so hamhanded.

It's not the idea itself that's a problem, it's the timing and tone in which it was voiced, and the excuses given!

You have an extremely odd notion of life in African countries. I have no doubt that luxury compounds exist, with all the mod cons (electricity! running water! air conditioning! etc.) because those areas have existed in those countries for many, many years. I lived in several of them and that was decades ago. No matter how advanced Baby Sussex is, I doubt s/he would need schooling in the first 2 to 3 years of life, but if s/he does, there are also schools, including cooperative schools, which are usually attended by ex-pats and the diplomatic community. As barriers to this speculative plan go, lack of suitable housing is low down on the list.

Water, electricity and air conditioning may be luxuries for many populace, but when talking royals, those are a given. Don't paint me as some ignorant who thinks all Africans live in mud huts without electricity. Nothing I have written warrants such comments thanks.

The reality is the talk is having them living in some of the poorer regions like Lesotho. Yes, they may be able to find a compound that they can buy and convert but there would be high expenses on top of things like security. And they are meant to be there 'promoting the UK'. The visuals of the British couple moving to a poor region of Africa and living behind gated walls in an expensive compound surrounded by the poor, would not be a good picture. It would remind people of the 'colonial era'.

The talk is for the move (if one believes this ridiculous story) for another year or two. Baby Sussex would be 1-2 when they went. So yes, if they stayed for three years, something like kindergarten would need considering. And if no more then things like security, a regular school in these areas are going to have serious limits for their child.

Clean up on aisle 4! Now it's being sold as tradition

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...rts-world.html

The hard sell of this is so evident. And since the queen went to Africa as part of her preparation to rule and make that defining speech on her 21st birthday why can't the Cambridges make the same trip so they can be prepared to be sovereign and consort?

Comparing Harry to those who were sent off to be Governor Generals :ermm:

Not only a different time but different situation. There they were being sent to one of the queen's realms, to represent her in an official role. And back in those days, it was common for a royal to hold those posts. That is clearly not the case any more.

The other examples are tours. Yes they were longer back when Elizabeth was young but that was due the limitations of travel back then.

I am sure Harry and Meghan will make plenty of trips to Africa and other lands. But as tours just like they have done before and will do again. But nothing more then that.

It's interesting that Buckingham Palace very quickly intervened but didn't issue a denial and went for this instead:
“Any future plans for The Duke and Duchess are speculative at this stage. No decisions have been taken about future roles."

If The Times report was a fabrication, they'd have said "There are no plans for the D&D to live outside of the UK". That would have killed the story stone dead but they chose not to do that.

I've watched the video a few times & Harry is speaking to Catherine, who responds. William smiles but isn't saying anything to Harry. Given the report that was published prior to their appearance plus all the talk of tension between Harry & William, they could have walked & talked together on arrival and departure, which would have made a mockery of the stories but they didn't.

@Lilyflo - I think the Palace is counting on designated journalists and royal reporters to explain this away so they ride out the storm.

It's interesting that Buckingham Palace very quickly intervened but didn't issue a denial and went for this instead:
“Any future plans for The Duke and Duchess are speculative at this stage. No decisions have been taken about future roles."

If The Times report was a fabrication, they'd have said "There are no plans for the D&D to live outside of the UK". That would have killed the story stone dead but they chose not to do that.
It appears the palace has lost the narrative with this story. Multiple papers are running with different versions of the original story, adding their own "exclusive" info. If the move to Africa, whether for extended time or just a tour was really in the works, then the information was leaked prematurely, and people are adding their own sensationalist details.

The PR of the BRF has been desastrous for many years now, either the BRF wants it this way or it is simply unmanagable for professional outsiders for various reasons.

The PR of the BRF has been desastrous for many years now, either the BRF wants it this way or it is simply unmanagable for professional outsiders for various reasons.
While it's untenable to deny every single story, KP or BP should've issued a firm and straightforward denial (one that left no room for misinterpretation) when they saw the feud rumors receiving so much mainstream coverage. At this point, tabloids are taking the most mundane actions and using that as proof for the alleged feud.

I've watched the video a few times & Harry is speaking to Catherine, who responds. William smiles but isn't saying anything to Harry. Given the report that was published prior to their appearance plus all the talk of tension between Harry & William, they could have walked & talked together on arrival and departure, which would have made a mockery of the stories but they didn't.

William and Harry don’t play games for the press. I cannot see either of them doing something for the sake of photos, even if it would look good.

I think there is tension, but that it is what the Palace said before, normal growing pains when roles and lives change. William had influence over his younger brother all his life. Then Meghan came along and her influence over Harry is stronger now. They may have had a disagreement over something, but William is stubborn and when it comes to Meghan I think Harry can be also. Yes, I’m speculating but it is based on observing family dynamics in other families over the years.

Last edited:

It was about Harry not talking to them; he clearly addressed them while some want us to believe that they completely ignored each other.

Nonetheless, I agree that it would have helped if Harry had joined his brother and sister-in-law while walking to the chapel - as he has done many times before - instead of walking with Peter and Autumn. In general, Harry looked rather nervous, probably because of the impending birth of his first child.

Last edited:
Harry seemed just fine with the Philips and Tindals. I can believe there is tension....Clearly these people need a bit of distance. I also agree they don't need to go out their way for the press. They will think what they want regardless.

They were respectful and that is all that matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom