Birth of Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor: May 6, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I didn’t say it wasn’t a big event, as in important, in US. It’s just mostly a private event. The christening is an event for the child, although more so a decision made by parents, whereas the baby shower is about celebrating the first time a woman is about to become a mother. And since my direct relationship is with the parent, that’s where I’d more likely go. Different for godparents.

I would be delighted to be invited to a child's christening even if not one of the god parents. The shower on the other hand wouldnt bother me. Just different views.
As for god parents, I have no thoughts at all, agree with regards the Beckham's, they like others were at the wedding via their link to charity, so cannot take that as a clue.

It will be interesting to see which celebrities get invited to the christening. Oprah, Gayle, the Clooney's, Beckhams?

Yawn.

If anyone of the friends attended it would be Heather, Genevieve, Lucy, Lindsay, Benita...these snide comments are so predictable and boring.

Cute picture of Archie released for Father's Day. What a special day for Harry. I hope he is having the best one ever.

I would be delighted to be invited to a child's christening even if not one of the god parents. The shower on the other hand wouldnt bother me. Just different views.
As for god parents, I have no thoughts at all, agree with regards the Beckham's, they like others were at the wedding via their link to charity, so cannot take that as a clue.

The shower just appears to be a gift giving party...

The idea originated as helping new parents get things the baby would need. That’s why it’s typically only for the first baby. Although it’s certainly grown since then. As have the idea of it. Most of the showers I’ve been to are more about celebrating someone becoming a parent as the value of the gifts often doesn’t cover the expenses of the shower. And some even have gifts that are more sentimental than valuable.

Although it does depend on the situation of the parents. I have a friend who recently attended a baby shower for a distant relative who is about to become a teenage mother, and they did load up on the gifts that are necessities for a baby since they need all the help they can get.

Last edited:
Personally, not something I’d travel for unless I’m the godparent. Even if I’m close to the parents. It’s just not an occasion for huge celebrations. And yes, I would travel for a baby shower and to visit the baby at a mutually convenient time.

I would be surprised if anybody declined an invitation to this christening even if not a god parent, without a really important reason.

I would be surprised if anybody declined an invitation to this christening even if not a god parent, without a really important reason.
Presumably then Meg wont be inviting many people other than her mother...

It is a celebration of becoming parents. Do people bring gifts? Sure. My cousin did a supply collection (hers was around Christmas) where to celebrate her we also helped another child in need. People do all sorts of things but it is mostly about expressing love to the new parents.

But yes this is likely were culture clashes come into play.

I didn’t say decline an invitation for no reason. Long distance travel is a reason as it take a lot longer than an afternoon plus jet lag and everythin else. In the old days, even royal godparents don’t always attend christenings and have stand ins.

I didn’t say decline an invitation for no reason. Long distance travel is a reason as it take a lot longer than an afternoon plus jet lag and everythin else.
but Meg went all the way to N York for a baby shower and I imagine her friends travelled long distances to meet her there....

but Meg went all the way to N York for a baby shower and I imagine her friends travelled long distances to meet her there....

And that included more than an afternoon. Even then, not all of her friends were there. I can only imagine the difficulty in trying to get everyone’s schedule together. People do have lives outside of royalty and tend to put their own responsibilities ahead. I find royal watching world often forget that. New York is also a good hub for that group as a good number of them already live there at least part time and it’s an easy flight from rest of US and Toronto. With the exception of Meghan and Amal, others had a much shorter flight. I think most either lived in NYC or a short (think shorter than London) flight away.

My original point is still that the shower is to celebrate your friend becoming a parent. And christening is really for the baby whom the person might not have a direct relationship with.

Last edited:
Presumably then Meg wont be inviting many people other than her mother...

Who else needs to be there except her mother and the god parents? I can see people like Lucy and Lindsay attending as they live in London though it is a very good chance Lindsay will be there anyways as a god parent.

Who else needs to be there except her mother and the god parents? I can see people like Lucy and Lindsay attending as they live in London though it is a very good chance Lindsay will be there anyways as a god parent.

Lindsay is Jewish, so she can’t be a godparent unless she has converted since her marriage. Her husband is Anglican. They had an interfaith ceremony when they married.

Lizzie Cundy was on Talk Radio being interviewed by Dan Wootton promoting her book. She had spoken to Adam Bidwell (did not mention name but was stupid enough to describe him) and he said Meghan made Harry drop all of his old friends. Harry's non celeb friends are very connected people so they know people that work in the media. Hence all of the negative press surrounding Meghan. Only a handful of Meghan's friends have spoken to the media and it was in defence of Meghan which I can't blame them for.

Just sounds like gossip to me.

Do you think Meghan will offer an olive branch to her father, he has been noticeable by his silence since the birth of Archie. He is maybe trying to build bridges.

Why? He did his damage. Meghan needs to just focus on her own family. The Markles are the Markles and she is best away from their toxicity.

Last edited by a moderator:
generally speaking as he's beign welcomed into the Christian family, most people would think it was nice to have friends and family there..

I didn’t say decline an invitation for no reason. Long distance travel is a reason as it take a lot longer than an afternoon plus jet lag and everythin else. In the old days, even royal godparents don’t always attend christenings and have stand ins.

Exactly. And the travel expense. Not to mention the almost inevitable need for time off work if it is overseas. And in the US, that is a much bigger issue, since many people don’t get more than 10 days off in a year, if that. Unlike Europe.

generally speaking as he's beign welcomed into the Christian family, most people would think it was nice to have friends and family there..

This is the baby's first sacrament so IMO it is a big deal and I would definitely expect family and friends there especially if they've not yet met the baby.?

This is the baby's first sacrament so IMO it is a big deal and I would definitely expect family and friends there especially if they've not yet met the baby.?

It depends on how big the Christening is to begin with. It seems British ones lately have been fairly small gatherings in terms of both family and friends invited.

Exactly. And the travel expense. Not to mention the almost inevitable need for time off work if it is overseas. And in the US, that is a much bigger issue, since many people don’t get more than 10 days off in a year, if that. Unlike Europe.

Time of work, cost of travel....the circle of friends who might be invited will not have a problem with that.

Time of work, cost of travel....the circle of friends who might be invited will not have a problem with that.

Not all of Meghan’s friends are celebrities. Some of her friends do have regular jobs.

While the cost might not be such a burden to these people, we don’t know what their schedule is like. All of them have busy careers, and many with their own young children. It’s one thing to take an afternoon to go to a christening, it’s another when it takes about 3 days and involves long flights. Personally, I think it’s a lot to ask of people, especially since at least some have already taken the time to come and meet the baby.

I’m not sure why some are so insistent her friends should be there even if they aren’t godparents. Especially considering it’s not customary in BRF. And certainly, I didnt hear about them being at Meghan’s baptism. I’ll be happy if they are there, but certainly don’t expect it.

And btw, if her friends who are well known are there, some of the same people would criticize it for being “too Hollywood”.

Last edited:

Not all her close friends are celebrities. They have “normal” careers and have young children of their own. You have no idea what their time of work is. You making assumptions based off some of her higher profile friends who also have lives if their own.

Exactly. Anyone would think that they only have 2 weeks holiday, have to mow the lawn every Saturday and watch the cost of airfare. If meg wants to invite her friends from home and they want to go, it is not IMO a big deal.

We are not talking about an ordinary christening or ordinary guests, I struggle to think of a potential guest who could not afford travel costs, I accept work commitments if short notice.

We are not talking about an ordinary christening or ordinary guests, I struggle to think of a potential guest who could not afford travel costs, I accept work commitments if short notice.

I don’t see how a royal christening should be treated more special than another friend’s christening.

While the cost might not be such a burden to these people, we don’t know what their schedule is like. All of them have busy careers, and many with their own young children. It’s one thing to take an afternoon to go to a christening, it’s another when it takes about 3 days and involves long flights. Personally, I think it’s a lot to ask of people, especially since at least some have already taken the time to come and meet the baby.

I’m not sure why some are so insistent her friends should be there even if they aren’t godparents. Especially considering it’s not customary in BRF. And certainly, I didnt hear about them being at Meghan’s baptism. I’ll be happy if they are there, but certainly don’t expect it.

And btw, if her friends who are well known are there, some of the same people would criticize it for being “too Hollywood”.

As I said before if they follow the example of the Cambridges it will be family and god parents. I did not make a comment insisting friends had to be included. I just commented that the circle of friends likely to be included would not have a problem with travel costs, yes they might have work commitments that they could not cancel.

It depends on how big the Christening is to begin with. It seems British ones lately have been fairly small gatherings in terms of both family and friends invited.

Yes, these are intimate affairs in contrary to Sweden or the Netherlands, where the christenings were public events and even televized.

Please note that a number of posts re-hashing all that was said a long time ago about the father of the Duchess of Sussex have been deleted.

No official details of the Christening of Archie Mountbatten have been released yet and so let's not get too caught up in speculation, gossip and bickering about who might or might not attend. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom