Birth of Archie Harrison Mountbatten-Windsor: May 6, 2019

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That Disney cartoon is adorable.

I wonder if they will release any close up pictures of Archie or will the christening be the next next we see him.

I never said I liked Alvin and you are right. But I think it is better than Archie, which at best is a nick name, and all I could think of was Archie Bunker or Archie Comics. Put together with Harrison, which makes no sense, as his father's name is Henry, not Harry, he sound like any kid. And if they want him to be any kid, then give up their tiles and move out of that large residence and live somewhere and raise him as any kid.

Because they are working royals. That doesn’t mean their child, who is not a working or Royal at all at this point, should not be any kid.

And btw, Harrison, while meaning son of Harry, is quite commonly used. Even by people who father is not or is not known as Harry.

The Baby is cute! But we couldn't see much with the hat covering his hair and eyebrows.
Hope they post more photos as he grows!
I like the way the photocall was in a private place with the press there inside so the baby doesn't get the cold of the weather .
Also I like theQueen with the baby . It is nice and more relax photos!
Now regarding his name, Oh Dear I do not like it at all! and what is this comment in magazines that George said Archie is his nickname ?????
The couple looks really in love and happy! wishing them the best

We might get a peak when they have the Christening unless they do it totally private. Past that..it might be Christmas (cards) before we seen pics of him again.

Of course if they do a tour...he might be with them!

LaRae

It seems to me that Archie has fine faint strands of ginger hair showing around his cap. Harry even said that Archie already has facial hair. :lol: Babies do change over time though, as they acknowledged. But I think his nose, lips and olive-toned skin resemble Meghan.

Last edited by a moderator:
The queen was the most informally dressed for the photo and I know if she didn't want to do it she wouldn't, maybe it was her idea; not the Sussexs. I think it was very media- savy of the queen and EOB to show support.

OK it has finally dawned on me why something about using "Harrison" bugged me. With all Meghan has spoken of feminist rhetoric, challenging the patriarchy and the personal sacrifices she has made to marry Harry seems like a strange step to highlight the fact that Harrison was used because he's Harry's son.

Wouldn't a name highlighting her contribution as mother, birther, female, newcomer, outsider be more suitable? Of course he's Harry's son, he will live a easy life, free from mortal cares and concerns and will carry the Mountbatten-Windsor surname or Sussex if he wishes.

Yes, Megson or Markson sound odd but surely Meghan could have put a more personal touch with a name that meant something to her instead of another deferrment to the larger entity.

Maybe I am just reading too much into this? ��

one could make the argument that the name 'Archie' very much references Rachel Meghan Markle, with emphasis on the R. There is not much you can do with 'Meghan' for a boy, but 'Rachel' certainly leads to 'Archie'!:flowers:

Last edited:
It appears that fans of the couple have "detected" something that may explain their choice of Archie as the first name-----apparently Archie is a "close acronym" of Rachel. Hmmmmmm.

Therefore, "Rachel and Harry's Son."

Don't know why she used her first name, but ok.

And IF true, this shows M & H's ingenuity and the confirmation that they know EXACTLY what they are doing.

Good show.

It seems to me that Archie has fine faint strands of ginger hair showing around his cap. Harry even said that Archie already has facial hair. :lol: Babies do change over time though, as they acknowledged. But I think his nose, lips and olive-toned skin resemble Meghan.

He also has the Markle nose, as others here have pointed out.

... I think the whole "we want privacy" was a bit blown out of proportion by the fandom and the press. Not only we got a photocall with a baby, which also included answering a few question that William didn't do after George, but also a picture with the Queen and DoE, so that's another extra bit we don't get with Cambridge children.

I'm begining to suspect it's more "we will do things our way" than "we'll keep the child completely private". I bet we'll get pictures from Christening, that in a year or two (maybe two) we'll see little Archie on the balcony during Trooping the colour and I wouldn't exclude the posibility we'll get birthday pictures too.

I think you are misreading and over-reading the simple fact that Harry (especially) and Meghan want to avoid intrusiveness into their private lives. That does not mean they aren't willing to share some of their happiness, particularly surrounding special events, such as the birth of their first child.

Of course, they wished to handle how they introduced their baby to the public. The Sussexes did not want to provide a slew of details, and they did not want people gathering for days outside of a hospital. In addition, their actual plans were in flux due to their delayed move to Frogmore Cottage, and not knowing exactly when the baby would arrive. More than likely, Meghan wished to try and give birth at home, once they were settled into their new residence, but they had surely developed a back-up hospital plan with her doctors.

Plus, neither Meghan nor Harry wanted to feel the pressure of being rushed to present their baby in front of packed crowds blocking streets and entrances to a hospital. Add to the fact, the actual birth plans were not set in stone that she would be giving birth at a hospital. If the hope was to give birth at home, that kind of information was their business and not for public consumption.

The main point is that Harry & Meghan clearly wished to share the birth experience with each other, Doria, friends and family first. They did not want the public hanging on to every aspect of every detail, and that makes perfect sense. They have never confirmed the involvement of a particular hospital, although that information should eventually appear on Archie's birth certificate.

Another indication that Harry & Meghan are willing to share some things about their personal lives, but just on their own terms, is the fact that Harry decided on the spur of the moment to make the birth announcement himself. That was not initially planned. I think it was a lovely touch.

I can see future royals employing this type of personal yet informal baby birth announcement and controlled photo-op roll-out a few days after birth, versus the less manageable scenario of crowds forming outside of a hospital (which involves more headaches and security expenses). Not to mention, a woman shouldn't have to feel the pressure of getting made up to appear in front of crowds hours after giving birth.

At the very least, M&H's doing things their way and in a perfectly reasonable and more controlled fashion should set a precedent for royal couples being able to make their own decisions without interference, complaining and condemnation by the media.

The whole issue of privacy surrounding how often the public gets to see Archie, is a separate issue altogether. The public will not be getting a home tour. In other words, nothing like the in-home look at toddler Harry and older brother William banging on the piano when they were kids, or the photo-ops at Highgrove when Harry and William were young boys still wearing shorts. In fact, William and Harry both joked in the recent film dedicated to Diana that they abhorred the often matching outfits Diana dressed them up in. Harry vowed he would never dress his kids that way. :lol: The 1980s was an entirely different era though.

Of course, we should expect to see glimpses of Archie on some tours with his parents, at his christening, and in photos issued to celebrate his birthdays. We may also see him as he gets older playing with his cousins on the sidelines during polo outings, and eventually on the BP balcony during Trooping the Colour. That's the least I would expect. If we get more than that, it will be surprising. However, I won't be surprised to see M&H doing something unexpected like posting unanticipated family photos on Instagram. I'm really hoping to eventually see a family photo with their dogs. I miss seeing beagle Guy.

Last edited:
It is a beautiful photo of Archie meeting his great grandparents.
It's very generous of them to share it. A significant moment and such a happy one.
Does anyone know which tartan is worn by The Duke of Edinburgh? He looks remarkable.

The Sussex may have been the first to post it, but as you say, that image would only have been used with the consent of the Queen or her team. And that consent was, IMO, only provided as the Queen and her team could see the powerful message that was being sent.

None of us can truly claim we know the actual logistics involved regarding the release of this photo. We do know that photos were planned to be taken. However, the initial interview with the media was scheduled to take place on the steps behind Frogmore House (where engagement and wedding photos had been taken). Due to the weather, the media meet-up was moved to St. George's Hall at Windsor Castle. Most likely, a visit to see QE-II and the Duke of Edinburgh for private discussion and personal photos had always been planned after the media photo-op. So it worked out perhaps more smoothly with everything taking place at Windsor Castle.

Still, I don't see any reason to believe that it was mainly the Queen who wanted to release this photo because of the 'powerful message' it sends. If that's the case, we already got powerful messages galore during the royal wedding last May. There was a slew of powerful messages being sent during M&H's wedding ceremony. I think the most 'powerful message' was already sent when the Queen consented to her grandson marrying Meghan Markle. Harry and Meghan also already gave us 'powerful messages' during their engagement interview that many people appear to have forgotten.

I see the photo mainly as a very moving family photo with several generations basking in joy, whether or not it was necessarily planned all along to be publicly released. The photo reminds me of Diana PoW and her abiding love for her sons, and how proud she also would be. It's such a beautiful moment too because Prince Harry went through a lot to reach this normal, yet magical and redemptive moment in his life.

Harry once said in an interview that the loss of his mother had created a void in his life he felt would never be filled. Through meeting and marrying Meghan that void seems to have been filled beyond Harry's wildest dreams. His happiness and fulfillment have surely exponentially expanded with the birth of Archie. In the photo, Harry looks content and amazed at the same time, while Meghan looks radiantly happy.

It was also very lovely to see the Duke of Edinburgh and HM the Queen looking so overjoyed. The quiet, calm, proud presence of Doria, who has always been Meghan's 'rock,' makes the entire tableau resonate.

Last edited:
:previous: Plus we have to see that in maybe two years one or both of the great-grandparents might no longer be here! So when would be the right time to show them with Archie if not now? I bet once Eugenie is a new mother, the first thing she does (if it is still possible) is present her baby to her grandmother and grandfather. It's what has to be done, simple as that. That we get to see a pic of it is lucky for us, not more.

I think you are misreading and over-reading the simple fact that Harry (especially) and Meghan want to avoid intrusiveness into their private lives. That does not mean they aren't willing to share some of their happiness, particularly surrounding special events, such as the birth of their first child.

Of course, they wished to handle how they introduced their baby to the public. The Sussexes did not want to provide a slew of details, and they did not want people gathering for days outside of a hospital. In addition, their actual plans were in flux due to their delayed move to Frogmore Cottage, and not knowing exactly when the baby would arrive. More than likely, Meghan wished to try and give birth at home, once they were settled into their new residence, but they had surely developed a back-up hospital plan with her doctors.

Plus, neither Meghan nor Harry wanted to feel the pressure of being rushed to present their baby in front of packed crowds blocking streets and entrances to a hospital. Add to the fact, the actual birth plans were not set in stone that she would be giving birth at a hospital. If the hope was to give birth at home, that kind of information was their business and not for public consumption.

The main point is that Harry & Meghan clearly wished to share the birth experience with each other, Doria, friends and family first. They did not want the public hanging on to every aspect of every detail, and that makes perfect sense. They have never confirmed the involvement of a particular hospital, although that information should eventually appear on Archie's birth certificate.

Another indication that Harry & Meghan are willing to share some things about their personal lives, but just on their own terms, is the fact that Harry decided on the spur of the moment to make the birth announcement himself. That was not initially planned. I think it was a lovely touch.

I can see future royals employing this type of personal yet informal baby birth announcement and controlled photo-op roll-out a few days after birth, versus the less manageable scenario of crowds forming outside of a hospital (which involves more headaches and security expenses). Not to mention, a woman shouldn't have to feel the pressure of getting made up to appear in front of crowds hours after giving birth.

At the very least, M&H's doing things their way and in a perfectly reasonable and more controlled fashion should set a precedent for royal couples being able to make their own decisions without interference, complaining and condemnation by the media.

The whole issue of privacy surrounding how often the public gets to see Archie, is a separate issue altogether. The public will not be getting a home tour. In other words, nothing like the in-home look at toddler Harry and older brother William banging on the piano when they were kids, or the photo-ops at Highgrove when Harry and William were young boys still wearing shorts. In fact, William and Harry both joked in the recent film dedicated to Diana that they abhorred the often matching outfits Diana dressed them up in. Harry vowed he would never dress his kids that way. :lol: The 1980s was an entirely different era though.

Of course, we should expect to see glimpses of Archie on some tours with his parents, at his christening, and in photos issued to celebrate his birthdays. We may also see him as he gets older playing with his cousins on the sidelines during polo outings, and eventually on the BP balcony during Trooping the Colour. That's the least I would expect. If we get more than that, it will be surprising. However, I won't be surprised to see M&H doing something unexpected like posting unanticipated family photos on Instagram. I'm really hoping to eventually see a family photo with their dogs. I miss seeing beagle Guy.
I think the only person doing any kind of misreading and over-reading is you when it comes to my post. I have no idea how all of what you now wrote in any way relates to what I wrote, so... ?

However, the initial interview with the media was scheduled to take place on the steps behind Frogmore House (where engagement and wedding photos had been taken). Due to the weather, the media meet-up was moved to St. George's Hall at Windsor Castle.

Do we know that this is a statement of fact (ie, a Press release or "Operational Notes" from BP) or just speculation on the internet?

It appears that fans of the couple have "detected" something that may explain their choice of Archie as the first name-----apparently Archie is a "close acronym" of Rachel. Hmmmmmm.

And IF true, this shows M & H's ingenuity and the confirmation that they know EXACTLY what they are doing.

Good show.

Archie is not acronym of Rachel. And Meghan doesn’t use the name Rachel, not even in her wedding vows.

Meghan’s fans will just have to accept that a self-proclaimed feminist agreed to name her child “ the. Son of Harry” as in some old patriarchal Viking society. They also chose a Germanic first name ( Archibald , or Archie). Very Northern European and with little connection to Meghan’s background, which is somewhat disappointing.

Meghan’s fans will just have to accept that a self-proclaimed feminist agreed to name her child “ the. Son of Harry” as in some old patriarchal Viking society. They also chose a Germanic first name ( Archibald , or Archie). Very Northern European and with little connection to Meghan’s background, which is somewhat disappointing.

Perhaps if they were to have another son, they might call him Meghson ?

Now regarding his name, Oh Dear I do not like it at all! and what is this comment in magazines that George said Archie is his nickname ?????

Apparently George told a woman he met casually that his name was Archie!
So the press is having fun with the idea that H & M copied the name from their tiny nephew!

Although today the DM claims Meghan named her baby after her cat. So who knows?

As for Harrison, I can only think of the kid on the TV series Dexter. His name was Harrison.

I'm with you- I don't like the name at all.
But then, they didn't consult me! :flowers:

That Disney cartoon is adorable.

I wonder if they will release any close up pictures of Archie or will the christening be the next next we see him.

Given the couple's seeming desire to bring up their child privately, do you think they will release pictures at the time of the christening?

Archie is not acronym of Rachel. And Meghan doesn’t use the name Rachel, not even in her wedding vows.

As a (self-proclaimed) feminist I really don't see why this is a problem. Seems like people are trying to find problems where there are none.

The name isn't feminist enough (not sure what the criteria are), she gave up her career to move abroad which isn't feminist, she took her husbands last name (again not feminist). Did I miss anything? And there I was thinking feminism is about giving women a choice and chances… How silly of me.

As for Harrison, I can only think of the kid on the TV series Dexter. His name was Harrison.

I'm with you- I don't like the name at all.
But then, they didn't consult me! :flowers:

I love the names.
for Archie - I think of Archie Manning, a great Football Quarterback and the father of two also great Football Quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Eli Manning.
For Harrison - I think of Harrison Ford - a great actor.

:flowers:

As a (self-proclaimed) feminist I really don't see why this is a problem. Seems like people are trying to find problems where there are none.

The name isn't feminist enough (not sure what the criteria are), she gave up her career to move abroad which isn't feminist, she took her husbands last name (again not feminist). Did I miss anything? And there I was thinking feminism is about giving women a choice and chances… How silly of me.

I was going to respond but you've stated the point well already. Thanks.

She can be a feminist and give him a middle name that honors his father. These aren’t mutually exclusive issues.

Not sure why it matters that his first name has no connection to Meghan’s background. They picked the name they liked. Like most parents.

I just love the pic of the great grand parents meeting Archie. They look so happy. I think it does have powerful symbolic value, but more importantly to me, it’s just a lovely candid family photo of everyone admiring the baby. Informal and personal.

Thank you. You hit the nail on the head by emphasizing it is about choice and chances.

Given the couple's seeming desire to bring up their child privately, do you think they will release pictures at the time of the christening?

Given that they haven't said they want to raise him privately, I wouldn't assume anything. They seemed just fine with posting pics of him so far.

Oh, so Harrison is anti-feminist name.
Now this is what we call "reach".

I think it does have powerful symbolic value, but more importantly to me, it’s just a lovely candid family photo of everyone admiring the baby. Informal and personal.

I completely agree with you. Symbolism aside, it is an intimate, family photograph, with happiness all around.

There could be a photo with the grandparents, who are still in Germany��

Oh, so Harrison is anti-feminist name.
Now this is what we call "reach".

I agree. :):)

And I specifically said Archie was considered by fans to be a CLOSE acronym of Rachel, not that it was an EXACT acronym of Rachel. It could be that they are "reaching" as well. Who knows. Just relaying information.

I do believe there might be something to the George/Archie story.

IF true (again), either George learnt the name from Harry and Meghan and appropriated it for himself or George came up with it himself and H & R decided to use it for their little one.

Or maybe it IS just reaching. Or maybe-------the name has meaning that proves they know what they are doing?

Last edited:

Good show.

It’s still trying to get used to the name Archie. It’ll happen. Just like Louis.

It’s still trying to get used to the name Archie. It’ll happen. Just like Louis.

The only "thing" I had with Louis was that they spelled it the French way. I understand why (Louis Mountbatten).....still, "unpatriotic." LOL.

Aside from that, I had no problem with it.

I also have no problem with Archie or Harrison.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom