Wedding of Princess Beatrice and Edoardo Mapelli Mozzi: July 17, 2020

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Didnt Princess Anne wear her mother's wedding tiara when she married Mark Phillips?
Yes she did. Beatrice is the FIFTH generation to wear this tiara:

Queen Mary had the tiara made from diamonds that were a wedding present (necklace) from Queen Victoria. She gifted the tiara to Queen Elizabeth (later the Queen Mother) who wore it in some of her first formal photos as Queen.

Queen Elizabeth loaned it to her daughter Princess Elizabeth for her wedding, and later loaned it to her royal granddaughter, Princess Anne, for hers. On the Queen Mother's death, it was inherited by her daughter The Queen, who wore it for a few formal photographs. And now The Queen has loaned it to the eldest princess of her generation: Princess Beatrice.

So, this tiara has "wedding" credentials galore, and has been worn by the most senior princess of the last three generations as a bridal tiara. I may not be around for it, but I hope Princess Charlotte continues the tradition!

Last edited:
In my opinion, Beatrice and Eduardo got it exactly right. The vintage dress and tiara are lovely on the princess. (It doesn't matter if people don't like the dress. What does matter is that it was Beatrice's choice.). Small, private, no lavish expense and spectacle in the light of Covid 19. No distasteful scandal or unwelcome comments from any-one. It was a simple, lovely occasion for a very happy bride and groom. I hope they see their grandchildren married in a similar manner.

Thanks, everyone, for all the information about Princess Beatrice's wedding attire. Apparently she's the same height (5'4") the Queen was in her younger years; I thought Beatrice was taller. I looked it up because I was wondering if the length of the dress was an issue. I'm not crazy about the sleeves, but they do have a 1940s look, so perhaps that's what she was going for. I like that she looked so natural. The flowers are beautiful! I think the small, private wedding is absolutely charming.

Thanks, everyone, for all the information about Princess Beatrice's wedding attire. Apparently she's the same height (5'4") the Queen was in her younger years; I thought Beatrice was taller. I looked it up because I was wondering if the length of the dress was an issue. I'm not crazy about the sleeves, but they do have a 1940s look, so perhaps that's what she was going for. I like that she looked so natural. The flowers are beautiful! I think the small, private wedding is absolutely charming.

The Queen seems to have worn the dress with crinolines, at least for the film premiere. However, the way the skirt falls on Beatrice is similar to the way The Queen's wedding gown's skirt part fell. So all good.

I think Bea looked beautiful. Not my favourite dress of recent Royal brides but, IMHO it takes nothing away from how happy she, Edo, the Queen and Philip look. They say that beauty comes from within and the happiness radiates and makes Beatrice beautiful.

As for Andrew not being in the pics released to the public, the press would have made a big deal if he had been in them and a big deal if he had not been. I hope Beatrice and Edo just ignore the media and listen to their family and friends. What other people think about their wedding is irrelevant. They are clearly happy and that’s all that matters.

What do we know about Beatrice's matching champagne colored veil? Did it also come from Hartnell? I wonder was her face covered with a blusher in the church? I bet that was gorgeous if so!

Since this gown was "on loan" from HMQ it was presumably returned after the wedding ceremony . But I wonder if the queen will pass gown to Beatrice upon her death?

I think the Fringe Tiara will go to the Princess Royal.....

Last edited:
I think the Fringe Tiara will remain in the royal family and so not go to anyone other than Charles with a request it be reserved for Charlotte's wedding.

If it is left to Anne then she will have to pay all sorts of taxes on it and eventually it will probably have to be sold ... or will be sold as it will not be of any use to any of Anne's descendants.

What a lovely idea to borrow Granmas dress. I don't understand how it fits as I though the Queen is much more petite than Beatrice, but It worked.
All details were lovely and romantic, well done.
Can't wait to see other pictures, I hope they will release.
And now a comment to a point noone mentioned:
Prince Philip, 99 years old and still standing!!!!!

Royals do really have an affect on the market. I was looking at replica of Bea's/HM's tiara the day she got married and someone’s else brought the tiara a few hours later. It was about $200

I would agree, except for the fact that neither daughter wore it (York tiara).
I could see if one didn't, but both?

So I have to believe the tiara is no longer available to wear.

if such a well known tiara was sold it would have been known. The buyer or auction house something.

Eugenie is said to have wanted coloured stones. Beatrice was wearing her grandmothers gown so wearing one of her tiaras made sense.

Honestly it's an ugly tiara. Just because her daughter's chose not to wear it dies from mean it's sold.

Silk doesn't remain a shiny white - like all natural fibres so it is natural that the dress is less pristine white and more creamy in colour as that is the nature of silk.

They had to add sleeves as it is well known that the Queen doesn't approve wedding dresses without shoulders being covered. She doesn't really like anyone going to church without their shoulders covered.

It's not about the queen but the church. The Anglican as well as some other churches require the shoulders to be covered.

Some Anglican ministers aren't a stickler but the royal brides make a pint if following the rule.

Last edited:
Queen Mary's Fringe tiara and Norman Hartnell gown?! :w00t: Perfect, socially conscious, and cost effective. Lovely bouquet and floral decoration around the church. The atmosphere looks wonderful.

I hope more photos will be released later. Please!

What a lovely idea to borrow Granmas dress. I don't understand how it fits as I though the Queen is much more petite than Beatrice, but It worked.
All details were lovely and romantic, well done.
Can't wait to see other pictures, I hope they will release.
And now a comment to a point noone mentioned:
Prince Philip, 99 years old and still standing!!!!!
The gown was lengthened for Princess Beatrice. After a closer look, there's noticeable seam and different fabric.
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...2595bfd6d14d0b862c5414ba215aa7d86b469b612.jpg

The dress (far left) at an exhibition in 2006. No seam.
https://uploads.disquscdn.com/image...f435d9789329b27e29ffd68d3adf2e184e6291708.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We may get another photo of the happy couple in a couple of weeks - 8th August - for Bea's birthday.

I am not expecting any other people in any images than those already seen - The Queen and Philip and Bea and Edo.

They've only released two photos. Sarah isn't in them either. Nor are Eugenie and Jack. Nor are any of Edo's family. I'm sure they've got zillions more photos: they just chose to release these two particular ones.

Instead of carrying on about Prince Andrew, it would be nice if the media concentrated on, as well as the bridal couple, how well the Queen and Prince Philip look. There've been reports that Philip is pretty much bedridden these days, but I'm pleased to see that that obviously isn't true. As for being a hole in the corner wedding, they're all dressed up to the nines.

Let the press say what they will. Most people are delighted for Beatrice. There's a lot of sympathy for her.

Andrew has been accused of A LOT more than that and we all know it. It's better he stay in the background and not ruin Bea's big day.

Not turning this thread into another Andrew bashing, but we all know nothing as Andrew hasn’t been accused of anything. Alison H is quite right in that right now all Andrew has done wrong is have questionable friends.

That shouldn’t impact his daughters wedding day, and frankly i’m sorry they feel they can’t release pictures of Beatrice and Edo with Andrew and Sarah.

I can't believe Beatrice wore Queen Mary's fringe tiara. That seems to confirm she is indeed one of her grandmother's favorites.

I disagree, it’s been worn by the last 4 senior princesses of blood on their wedding day it seems to be something of a tradition now.

I can't believe Beatrice wore Queen Mary's fringe tiara. That seems to confirm she is indeed one of her grandmother's favorites.

I agree 100%. Since the last Royal bride to wear it was Princess Anne in 1973...almost 50 years ago!- it does indeed feel like quite an honor for Beatrice.

Throw in HMQ's own vintage Hartnell and call it a coup!;)

Both the bride and the groom appear to have wedding rings on. I wonder if that indicates they decided to be married in the normal Common Worship wedding service (as seen in the Sussex wedding) rather than the older Series One alternative service (as seen in the Cambridge and Brooksbank weddings), seeing as in the Series One service only the groom gives a ring to his spouse.

They probably did use Common Worship, that's the preferred version in the Church of England and the current advice is to keep it as short and simple as possible. However I have seen people use the BCP version or at least a more traditional language version with two rings. They simply add in the same for a man just as the Common Worship version doesn't have to have two rings exchanged, although that is more usual they refer to it in some texts as the exchanging of the ring(s).

Not turning this thread into another Andrew bashing, but we all know nothing as Andrew hasn’t been accused of anything. Alison H is quite right in that right now all Andrew has done wrong is have questionable friends.

That shouldn’t impact his daughters wedding day, and frankly i’m sorry they feel they can’t release pictures of Beatrice and Edo with Andrew and Sarah.

I disagree, it’s been worn by the last 4 senior princesses of blood on their wedding day it seems to be something of a tradition now.

The last 3 senior princesses not four - Elizabeth, Anne and Beatrice.

Mary didn't wear in when she married in 1922 and she was the senior princess in her generation as the only daughter of the King.

If it was a tradition Margaret and Eugenie would have worn it as well. Since the day it was gifted to Elizabeth for her wedding, it has only been worn once by anyone else and that was Anne.

And we're not talking a tiara like Eugenie or Meghan whose wedding tiaras were dug out of the vaults and had not been worn by anyone for decades. This is a tiara that has been worn by the queen for events and portraits.

Mary- queen consort
Elizabeth, queen mum-queen consort
Elizabeth- future queen when she first wore it now queen regnant
Anne- Princess Royal

Its only been worn as a bridal tiara three times: Elizabeth, Anne and now Beatrice.

Last edited:
If it was a tradition Margaret and Eugenie would have worn it as well. Since the day it was gifted to Elizabeth for her wedding, it has only been worn once by anyone else and that was Anne.

It weas acutally worn by the Queen Mother a few times after 1947 but then she stopped to wear it at some in the 1950's. And it remained in her posession until her death and only then was inherited by HM.

It weas acutally worn by the Queen Mother a few times after 1947 but then she stopped to wear it at some in the 1950's. And it remained in her posession until her death and only then was inherited by HM.

I knew it remained the QM's until her death, but I didn't realize she wore it again. My point though was that it had not been loaned out like other tiaras like the lovers knot and such, to any other royal women. Not even Margaret. Besides for her wedding, Anne has never worn it. Before Anne, it had only been worn by queen consorts (or future ones) and Anne at least is the Princess royal. Beatrice may be the oldest male line granddaughter, but she is hardly a senior royal on the level of her aunt or the other women who wore it.

And it has only been worn by 3 royal brides. The only other royal princess of the blood to marry since the tiara was made were Mary, Princess Royal and Princess Margaret (Mary didn't wear a tiara and Margaret wore the Poltimore). And Eugenie of course.

And we're not talking a tiara like Eugenie or Meghan whose wedding tiaras were dug out of the vaults and had not been worn by anyone for decades. This is a tiara that has been worn by the queen for events and portraits.

Mary- queen consort
Elizabeth, queen mum-queen consort
Elizabeth- future queen when she first wore it now queen regnant
Anne- Princess Royal

Its only been worn as a bridal tiara three times: Elizabeth, Anne and now Beatrice.

I feel like you’re comment just proves my point, Eugenie and Margaret wouldn’t haven’t worn it if it was tradition for the senior princesses (neither were).

I feel like you’re comment just proves my point, Eugenie and Margaret wouldn’t haven’t worn it if it was tradition for the senior princesses (neither were).

Neither is Beatrice. I would, d argue Margaret was, as the Queen's only sibling. There was no rule. Beatrice decided to wear it becuase she wanted to and the Queen obliged. Those that marry in may be given a choice of tiaras but her own family, I have no doubt, can have the ones she wants. Beatrice adores her grandparents. As evidenced that she actually began crying in a documentary when talking about her grandfather. She choose this and it looks absolutely brilliant. I ,over she didn't have one of those hideous long trains. I have been waiting for a royal bride without it. Meghan didn't have one but there was that excessive veil. I hates kate's train and Eugenie's. Loved Kate's dress though but didn't like Eugenie's much. Meghan’s was a beautiful cut. I really like Beatrice's.

Beatrice is the senior princess in her generation.

That is what people are saying - that it is becoming a tradition for the senior princess in each generation - Elizabeth was senior to both Margaret and Alexandra, Anne was the only princess and now Beatrice as the senior princess in her generation.

It sounds like the wedding was short and simple.. and no real party if the queen left to do the knighting.. Perhaps they had a socially distance few drinks and eats in the evening..

Heaven help! What do you think people of HM or DoE age do all day long?
they surely do not attend parties, receptions or anything similar like a wedding for hours on end, because they need to rest. Have you ever seen a plus 90 person work 8 hours shift?
the knighting does not say anything about the level, length or style of the wedding, but only that an old lady managed to do two things in one day, which is amazing enough.
the reception was surely the way the couple wanted it and anyone who needed to rest like old people or children took a rest, sometimes things are as simple as this.
HM and the DoE are not magicians but human beings luke you and me?*♀️

Looking more closely now at the dress, the bodice might have been reworked at the sides to achieve such a good fit as HMQ and Beatrice are different shapes. That strongly suggests to me that this dress was the original choice because the amount of work done on it (bodice plus sleeves plus satin trim at the hem) is highly unlikely to have been completed in 2 weeks.

The 2006 photo of the original dress shows some age spots near the hem, so that explains the addition of the Duchess satin at the hem and may also have allowed the dress to be lengthened. This would also enable some of the original fabric from the hem to be used to make the trim for the sleeves.

Seeing some film of HMQ wearing the dress shows how it sparkles so the impact of Beatrice walking into the church wearing it with HMQ's wedding tiara must have been quite breathtaking.

Heaven help! What do you think people of HM or DoE age do all day long?
they surely do not attend parties, receptions or anything similar like a wedding for hours on end, because they need to rest. Have you ever seen a plus 90 person work 8 hours shift?
the knighting does not say anything about the level, length or style of the wedding, but only that an old lady managed to do two things in one day, which is amazing enough.
the reception was surely the way the couple wanted it and anyone who needed to rest like old people or children took a rest, sometimes things are as simple as this.
HM and the DoE are not magicians but human beings luke you and me?*♀️

The Queen was originally supposed to have hosted a BP garden party for her granddaughter, which would have been a few hours long, although she may not have stayed for all of it.

They theoretically could have been up to a socially distanced lunch but she had other things to do. It seems unlikely that she went to the type of party it's being described as in the evening for various reasons but also no reason to think that she wouldn't have been up to going to a lunch or afternoon party under different circumstances.

I do not believe it was the length of the dress that was an issue, unless it was to compensate for Beatrice favoring very high pumps. If you look at the original dress, it does not appear to have a train. The addition to the dress provides a modest (comparatively) train.

Beatrice is the senior princess in her generation.

That is what people are saying - that it is becoming a tradition for the senior princess in each generation - Elizabeth was senior to both Margaret and Alexandra, Anne was the only princess and now Beatrice as the senior princess in her generation.

I don't think that has anything to do with it. It is what she wanted no doubt.

'wonderful condition'? Sorry, it looks like an old rag.

4 times, we get the point, thank you ...

Honestly it's an ugly tiara. Just because her daughter's chose not to wear it dies from mean it's sold

Considering how cash trapped Sarah was at one point, it's safe to assume that the tiara was privately and discretely sold. The sole occasions to see it again was precisely the weddings of her daughters. It did not show, so ...

I dont think there's is some kind of order of precedence regarding the Fringe tiara. For me it matched the delicate embellishments of the dress and it was a nice tribute to Grandma : i guess it was already a winner for Beatrice, regardless her status of senior princess or not.

Back
Top Bottom