Royals at Wimbledon 2008 - 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Princess Grace and Lady Diana Spencer Applauding at the Men's Singles final between John McEnroe and Bjorn Borg July 4, 1981
Corbis
Princess Marina gives the men´s single´s trophy to Rod Laver of Australia July 5, 1968
Corbis
Prince Philippe and Princess Mathilde talk to Kim Clisters, July 8, 2001
Corbis
Princess Diana and prince William, July 6, 1991
IBL Bildbyrå

Last edited:
The Duke and Duchess of Kent are always present because the Duke is the president of the All England Lawn Tennis and Croquet Club.

Queen Elizabeth II presenting the Venus Rosewater Plate to Althea Gibson, winner of Wimbledon 1957: "It must have been terribly hot out there."
Photo Gallery

I'm not aware there's a thread to cover this annual event which has had mixed support from Royals over the years. I came across this interesting report
ESPN - Wimbledon a hotbed for tradition - Tennis

We actually have The Tennis Topic at the Members' Corner subforum here. That's where we keep track of all tennis events, including Wimbledon. ;)

Last edited:
Danish Royal Watchers has a summary of Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary's time at Wimbledon. There are no pictures of them at the actual event, but rather them later that evening.

Danish Royal Watchers

Wimbledon 2009 starts tomorrow:D. I wonder which Royals will be present this year. It will be interesting to see if Andy Murray makes the men's final whether the Queen or Prince of Wales attend. I remember Her Majesty attended when Virginia Wade got to the final (& won it ) in the Siver Jubilee year. I'd really like to see support from some of the younger Royals. Does anyone know if William or Harry have any interest in tennis?l

Elly C said:
Wimbledon 2009 starts tomorrow. I wonder which Royals will be present this year. It will be interesting to see if Andy Murray makes the men's final whether the Queen or Prince of Wales attend. I remember Her Majesty attended when Virginia Wade got to the final (& won it ) in the Siver Jubilee year. I'd really like to see support from some of the younger Royals. Does anyone know if William or Harry have any interest in tennis?l

According to the Royal Diary of Engagements, the Duke of Kent and the Duchess of Gloucester will both make appearances.
Other Royals, particularly the younger generation, may choose to visit the competition 'privately' (such visit will not be counted among official Royal engagements).

If Andy Murray or any other British player makes it to the final, I think it is likely that some of the more senior Royals will attend. Most likely, it will be Prince William and/or Prince Harry.

Wimbledon 2009 starts tomorrow:D. I wonder which Royals will be present this year. It will be interesting to see if Andy Murray makes the men's final whether the Queen or Prince of Wales attend. I remember Her Majesty attended when Virginia Wade got to the final (& won it ) in the Siver Jubilee year. I'd really like to see support from some of the younger Royals. Does anyone know if William or Harry have any interest in tennis?l

The Duke of Kent is the major royal for Wimbledon as that is his area of interest and the other royals rarely overshadow him by attending - certainly atttending the final.

The Duchess used to present the ladies trophy but hasn't done so for a few years now. I am not even sure if she attends all that often any more.

I don't remember either William or Harry attending since Diana took them as young boys. I think Diana was the tennis fan but the princes don't seem to have a great interest at all.

As this isn't a jubilee year I don't think that the Queen would attend, even if Murray made the final (although she would be cheering him on I feel sure).

She asked them not to come? Isn't that a little harsh?

I don't think so.

I remember that Pete Sampras didn't have his parents there when he won his first Grand Slam so didn't let then attend the next couple - until he lost one he though having them there would bring him bad luck. I remember the commentators mentioning it during his final with Edberg at the US Open.

The Duke of Kent opens the new Number 2 Court at Wimbledon on the first day of the 2009 Championships.

The Duke of Kent

Historical photos:
Wimbledon 1926 - the Duke of York, later King George VI, furthest from the camera, and Commander Greig playing
ANP Beeldbank
ANP Beeldbank
Thank you for this:). I had read some time ago that George VI competed at Wimbledon & had forgotten all about it. Does anyone know how far he progressed?

I came across this footage of George V & Queen Mary presenting medals at Wimbledon in 1926.

ITN

Isn't is wonderful?

Princess Michael of Kent watching Maria Sharapova/Gisela Dulko second round Ladies match

Day 3 2009 (Yahoo)

As this isn't a jubilee year I don't think that the Queen would attend, even if Murray made the final (although she would be cheering him on I feel sure).

I just came across this. It would be worth having Murray in the final just to see the Queen at Wimbledon again.

The Daily Record

So we wont be seeing the Queen at Wimbledon this year:nonono: Just have to make do with the nephew instead.

Viscount Linley (Daily Mail)

:previous:
We still have the finals yet, and we have yet to see if Murray wins against Roddick

We've had the Duke of Kent this year aswell as Viscount Linley. :flowers:

So we wont be seeing the Queen at Wimbledon this year:nonono: Just have to make do with the nephew instead.

Viscount Linley (Daily Mail)

Now that we know Murray is not going to be in the Final, there was little hope the Queen would attend the match.
Let's hope we will finally see a Brit (and Her Majesty) in the final of the Wimbledon in 2010.

lumutqueen said:
We still have the finals yet, and we have yet to see if Murray wins against Roddick

We've had the Duke of Kent this year aswell as Viscount Linley.

Unfortunately, we already know the results: Murray lost the semi-final 4-6, 6-4. 6-7, 6-7. He was this close to victory but Roddick was the lucky one. It was an amazing match though.

Now that we know Murray is not going to be in the Final, there was little hope the Queen would attend the match.
Let's hope we will finally see a Brit (and Her Majesty) in the final of the Wimbledon in 2010.
Unfortunately, we already know the results: Murray lost the semi-final 4-6, 6-4. 6-7, 6-7. He was this close to victory but Roddick was the lucky one. It was an amazing match though.

Ahh was it, I checked the score just after typing the message and I thought they were still playing. Her Majesty may yet grace wimbledon. :flowers:
We can hope Murray makes it next year. :)

Ahh was it, I checked the score just after typing the message and I thought they were still playing. Her Majesty may yet grace wimbledon. :flowers:
We can hope Murray makes it next year. :)

I certainly do hope so: I happen to be a Murray fan. :D

I was hoping to see Queen Elizabeth attending Wimbledon this year! I was disappointed when Roddick won (nothing against Roddick, I am just more of a QEII fan).

An interesting article on the Royal Box at Wimbledon

Royal Box

Roger Federer receives the championship trophy from the Duke of Kent following his victory over Andy Roddick of the US in their men's singles final match for the Wimbledon
Belga-EPA

Prince and Princess Michael were there today aswell. :flowers:

Unfortunately, NBC didn't focus on any royals in attendance. We got multiple shots of Pete Sampras, Russel Crowe and Woody Allen, plus Ben Stiller on Saturday.

The woman is amazing!!! Loved her outfit.

Back
Top Bottom