Royals at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Olympics

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Prince Haakon attended the biathlon sprint in Whistler today.

NBC did show him in the crowd for a brief moment, but I don't think they had any idea who he was. The Norwegian athlete just started the race and they were showing the crowd cheering him on. Still, it was great to see!

NBC did show him in the crowd for a brief moment, but I don't think they had any idea who he was. The Norwegian athlete just started the race and they were showing the crowd cheering him on. Still, it was great to see!
The German commentator recognized him. I think they showed the Prince 2 or 3 times ... (yah, the Germans and their interest for everything that deals with royalty ;))

Is that the Danish Team jacket that Mary is wearing?

Most likely. :)

Who was the woman sitting next to former IOC chair Juan Antonio Samaranch at opening ceremonies? She looked incredible

Which picture are you referring to?

Wonderful pictures. They do look happy in each others company. :)

Fred and Mary seem to be enjoying all this wonderful sport.:)

Yup, I saw that too but while they were focused on Haakon or right after, they said something like a "prince among men," referring to Emil Svendsen I believe. But, I thought that was funny, as they had just cut back from a real prince.

On the Seven networks 'Sunrise' morning show today, the sports commentator (Mark Baretta) who is in Vancouver covering the Olympics was dining for Breakfast in the Round House Lodge at the top of Whistler Village Gondola (1,850m above sea level), when a couple brushed passed him to be seated. He turned to them and said 'good run' and happened to notice that the two people he was addressing were infact Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary who themselves went up to dine after a morning ski.

He went on to say that he then had to control his need to stare, and at some point asked if they would consider appearing on the live telecast at the next sports break, to which both said 'thank you', but they were happy to maintain their relative anonymity during their olympic visit (which is entirely understandable and it was a rather intrusive of him to ask in the first place, though harmless I'm sure it was). He said they were perfectly nice and all smiles, enjoyed their breakfast and then continued on with their skiing.

One of the things I like about Frederik and Mary, is their innate ability to at all times remain stately (though genial) in public and not adhere to celebrity culture. Which is in itself no surprise; they aren't celebrities.

The German commentator recognized him. I think they showed the Prince 2 or 3 times ... (yah, the Germans and their interest for everything that deals with royalty ;))

I don´t think it´s unusual for a european reporter to be able to reckognize a famous person, like a prince from a reigning monarchy...
The US is far, far away and I believe the americans deal mainly their own business.
The only royal family they seem to perceive is the british one:ermm:By the way, germans in general are not interest in Royalty at all. It´s a rather
non-issue in everyday life and most germans, unluckily, feel that a monarchy is a rather strange, long long outdated concept. Most germans know, of course, "The Queen" from Britain, Charles, William and perhaps Harry - and that´s that. Many make a fool of the Britains that they seriously want to keep the monarchy.[

Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary walking around the Olympic City, February 15, 2010 During the Winter Olympic Games 2010.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/e604a468343692
http://www.imagebam.com/image/204e3d68343694
http://www.imagebam.com/image/89055168343695
http://www.imagebam.com/image/dceb5868343696
http://www.imagebam.com/image/30751c68343697
bew

wartenberg7 said:
By the way, germans in general are not interest in Royalty at all.
I don't agree here.
Of course Royalty doesn't influence our life at all. Most young people don't show inteerst in Royalty either.
That is not what I meant.
I was talking about the general interest for Royalty here.
Our country definitely has many different tv documentaries or life broadcasts on everything that deals with Royalty. There's at least one royal mentioned in every klatsch-tv program. ... never forget about the various (horrible) gossip rags.
That was everything I meant.;)

I can't open the pictures. :ermm:

I don´t think it´s unusual for a european reporter to be able to reckognize a famous person, like a prince from a reigning monarchy...
The US is far, far away and I believe the americans deal mainly their own business.
The only royal family they seem to perceive is the british one:ermm:By the way, germans in general are not interest in Royalty at all. It´s a rather
non-issue in everyday life and most germans, unluckily, feel that a monarchy is a rather strange, long long outdated concept. Most germans know, of course, "The Queen" from Britain, Charles, William and perhaps Harry - and that´s that. Many make a fool of the Britains that they seriously want to keep the monarchy.[

I also disagree, I think with your magazines, TV documentaries and so on. You have a great deal of interest in royal families not only the British one.
You once had many reigning houses yourself. I also didn't realise that you made fun of our monarchy.
Elizabeth is Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom not of Britain. And fifteen other independent states.

On the Seven networks 'Sunrise' morning show today, the sports commentator (Mark Baretta) who is in Vancouver covering the Olympics was dining for Breakfast in the Round House Lodge at the top of Whistler Village Gondola (1,850m above sea level), when a couple brushed passed him to be seated. He turned to them and said 'good run' and happened to notice that the two people he was addressing were infact Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary who themselves went up to dine after a morning ski.

He went on to say that he then had to control his need to stare, and at some point asked if they would consider appearing on the live telecast at the next sports break, to which both said 'thank you', but they were happy to maintain their relative anonymity during their olympic visit (which is entirely understandable and it was a rather intrusive of him to ask in the first place, though harmless I'm sure it was). He said they were perfectly nice and all smiles, enjoyed their breakfast and then continued on with their skiing.

One of the things I like about Frederik and Mary, is their innate ability to at all times remain stately (though genial) in public and not adhere to celebrity culture. Which is in itself no surprise; they aren't celebrities.

This information very interesting.

Thank you.

I can't open the pictures. :ermm:

I also disagree, I think with your magazines, TV documentaries and so on. You have a great deal of interest in royal families not only the British one.
You once had many reigning houses yourself. I also didn't realise that you made fun of our monarchy.
Elizabeth is Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom not of Britain. And fifteen other independent states.

Lumutqueen, it's never been my experience that Americans make fun of the British for having a monarchy - I have the impression that most people think it's charming. Elizabeth II is generally appreciated (although a lot of people, not necessarily me, regard her children as somewhat useless).

However, I do have to agree that Americans - outside of the ones on this forum - have little interest in anything besides the British royal family. I've only ever met one other American in my entire life who could name a non-British royal, and he was someone very proud of his Dutch heritage.

:previous:I think lumutqueen was talking about the Germans and their interest for Royalty. ;)

Lumutqueen, it's never been my experience that Americans make fun of the British for having a monarchy - I have the impression that most people think it's charming. Elizabeth II is generally appreciated (although a lot of people, not necessarily me, regard her children as somewhat useless).

However, I do have to agree that Americans - outside of the ones on this forum - have little interest in anything besides the British royal family. I've only ever met one other American in my entire life who could name a non-British royal, and he was someone very proud of his Dutch heritage.

As Her_Majesty pointed out I was referring to the Germans not the Americans. :)

I don't agree here.
Of course Royalty doesn't influence our life at all. Most young people don't show inteerst in Royalty either.
That is not what I meant.
I was talking about the general interest for Royalty here.
Our country definitely has many different tv documentaries or life broadcasts on everything that deals with Royalty. There's at least one royal mentioned in every klatsch-tv program. ... never forget about the various (horrible) gossip rags.
That was everything I meant.;)[/QUOTE]

Yes, that´s true. But I believe this "interest" targets more upon the celebrity status, not the royal one.
And, if you would ask people on the street (not just the very young ones) what is the name of CP Haakon´s sister, for instance or how many sisters has the dutch Queen etc. there won´t be many germans able to aswer.

Elizabeth is Elizabeth II of the United Kingdom not of Britain. And fifteen other independent states.[/QUOTE]

I didn´t say "of Britain", I rather said "from"!

Didn't we have this discussion last Olympics? Can we move on please?

It's great to see the Royals supporting their teams at the olympicgames. :)
the dutch little princesses are so cute! (but don't they have to go to school?)
are they still in canada?

thanks for the anecdote mme royale. however, i don't understand. i thought they were there to support the danish team. did the anecdote then happen just before they went to see the games?

It's great to see the Royals supporting their teams at the olympicgames. :)
the dutch little princesses are so cute! (but don't they have to go to school?)
are they still in canada?
Princess Amalia and Princess Alexia have holiday next week. Princess Alexia isn't jet school age. :) And Princess Amalia is with permission free of school this week. :)

I'm sorry for my bad english, I hope you understand it.

such a beautiful family!

thanks for the anecdote mme royale. however, i don't understand. i thought they were there to support the danish team. did the anecdote then happen just before they went to see the games?

I'm not sure I understand what you mean, Carlota. Clearly they have been in Vancouver to support the Danish team, and have, but why would that then mean that they are unable to enjoy their own private time?

Naturally Danish media knew they were there, but as far as I've seen, have largely been mindfull of their right to privacy aswell. The same would be said for the Dutch, Norwegian and British royals. Not every moment of their attendance is to represent their respective Kingdoms. The paps are doing their jobs, which explains the photo's now in circulation.

Being approached by a cheeky Australian reporter when dining for breakfast, asking if they'd like to be a part of the 'Sunrise experience' (my words, not his) deserved the response that was given, imo :)

Last edited:
Alexander and Máxima watching the poor show of the women speedskaters:

PPE Agency

courtesy ppe:)

Wasn't the 3000m on Sunday that's weird that it lists it as today.

Back
Top Bottom