Royals at the FIFA Women's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, July-August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doro

Serene Highness
City
Quahog
Country
United States
A thread to dicuss the attendance of various royals at these events.

The following monarchies are participating:

Denmark
England (Australia, Canada, Jamaica & New Zealand)
Japan
Morocco
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
Sweden

And we have the first royal attending!

Princess Hisako will make an unofficial visit to New Zealand and Australia July 21-28 for the FIFA Women's World Cup. She is honorary president of Japan Football Association and was requested. This is her 2nd visit to a Women’s World Cup since the US 1999 event.

Agenda:
July 22: arrive in NZ and watch Japan-Zambia
July 23: travel to AUS and watch France-Jamaica
July 25: return to NZ
July 26: watch Japan-Costa Rica

And we have the first royal attending!

Princess Hisako cancelled her Australia/New Zealand trip due her mother's death. She will be mourning for 90 days.

I didn't find any message from the Royal Families of UK, Norway, Netherlands, Spain or Sweden yet.

Last week, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary sent their good luck wishes to the Danish WNT ahead of their match against China. Denmark won 1-0 at the last minute.

Tomorrow it starts when the @kvindelandsholdet plays their first match against China for the World Cup in football in Australia and New Zealand :daneflag:⚽

Good luck girls - we're rooting for you! :cheers: :flowers:

✍️ The Crown Prince Couple.

Source

Last edited by a moderator:
Count Nikolai and his Benedikte are in Sydney, where will study at Technology University and are enjoying the Women's World Cup climate! Denmark will play against Australia on Monday at 12:00 (Copenhagen hour)

Kæmpe fest i Sydney: Nikolai og Benedikte får kickstartet deres eventyr i Australien | BILLED-BLADET

And it looks like he did attend today's Denmark vs Australia game.
https://www.billedbladet.dk/kongeli...ai-og-benedikte-er-paa-stadion-i-sydney-heppe

The crown prince couple of Denmark sent some fun greetings
https://www.instagram.com/p/CvoskTHAitX/

I didn't find any message from the Royal Families of UK, Norway, Netherlands, Spain or Sweden yet.

Last week, Crown Prince Frederik and Crown Princess Mary sent their good luck wishes to the Danish WNT ahead of their match against China. Denmark won 1-0 at the last minute.

Source

Really sad if true and a bad sign in times of equality among genders.
In Germany the hype is really great, but only recently, as the male team didn't suceed for quite q while people got more interestes in the female team. They were kicked out now, but nevertheless maybe fans remai for the future.

Really sad if true and a bad sign in times of equality among genders.
In Germany the hype is really great, but only recently, as the male team didn't suceed for quite q while people got more interestes in the female team. They were kicked out now, but nevertheless maybe fans remai for the future.

The reality is that most people find male category sports more entertaining. I love football but I find the women's game a bore and I am a woman myself.

The reality is that most people find male category sports more entertaining. I love football but I find the women's game a bore and I am a woman myself.

Really, I think they play much better than the men. But it's of course up to everyone to decide.
But the fact that many RFs seemed to ignore the competition is not ok IMO.

But maybe they think like you , who knows
:D

I hope that public royal support is not entirely guided by what the royals find personally entertaining. In that case we would see quite a few royals having an official program which is packed with support for the most extravagant gatherings of the wealthy in their realm but ignores the poorer and more vulnerable citizens of their country. ;) :flowers:

The Prince and Princess of Wales yesterday via Twitter, congratulated the Lionesses after beating Nigeria 4-2 on penalties, after a 0-0.

Well done @Lionesses!:englandflag:It was hard-fought but now we're on to the quarter-finals. Good luck ⚽

Kensington Royal on Twitter

Queen Letizia and Infanta Sofía will attend the women's soccer World Cup final next Sunday in Sydney

https://www.europapress.es/nacional...-sidney-frente-inglaterra-20230816175956.html

It was a bit unsual that all 4 semifinalists this year (Spain, Sweden, England, and Australia) were monarchies. I am also glad that the final will be between two of the greatest monarchies in European history (England and Spain). Hopefully, there will be some royal representation from Britain too.

Last edited:
A thread to dicuss the attendance of various royals at these events.

The following monarchies are participating:

Denmark
England (Australia, Canada, Jamaica & New Zealand)
Japan
Morocco
Netherlands
Norway
Spain
Sweden

Do royals from these monarchies normally attend men's World Cups?

Very lovely to hear that our Nikolai won't be the only royal who's bothered to physically pay attention to this historical tournament. Knew we could count on Sofía! :D

Outrageous that William can't be arsed to fly out – to a country within Commonwealth even :cool:

Do royals from these monarchies normally attend men's World Cups?

The two last men's World Cups don't really compare as controversies over their respective locations (Russia in 2018 and Qatar in 2020) meant that a lot of royals were advised to stay at home.

But we can compare attendance at the most recent Euros:

The men's Euros in 2021:

– Belgium (only at their group stage game in Copenhagen, if I'm not mistaken)
– Denmark (attendance at four games – massive turnout from the DRF also due to the fact that all of Denmark's group stage matches were played in Copenhagen)
– Netherlands (attendance at two games)
– Spain (attendance at one game, I believe)
– UK (William (and sometimes Kate and George) attended four games, I believe – all England games)

Qualified teams from countries with monarchies who didn't enjoy royal attendance: Scotland, Sweden, Wales.

The women's Euros in 2022:

– Spain (Leonor and Sofía attended the group stage game against Denmark)
– UK (William only attended England's final despite England hosting the tournament – also worth noting that England played Northern Ireland in the group stage which would've been a pretty neat opportunity for anyone from the BRF to support two countries in the kingdom, yet there was no attendance)

Qualified teams from countries with monarchies who didn't enjoy royal attendance: Belgium, Netherlands, Northern Ireland, Norway, Sweden.

So yes, I'd definitely say there's a difference in the level of support afforded to the men's and women's teams respectively. Shameful, really. If anything, royals should promote equal support for their country's national teams – not partake in the continued inequality.

Last edited:
I agree that there is a difference between the treatment of men's and women's sports but I don't think a tournament in Europe is comparable to a tournament on the other side of the world (for European tournaments); had the tournament been in Europe, it most likely would have seen more royals attending.

I don't know about other royal houses but during the FIFA Women's World Cup in France in 2019, king Willem-Alexander, princess Amalia and princess Ariane attended the finals (between the Netherlands and the USA).

Last edited:
:previous: You mean like the tournament in Europe last year (as mentioned above) where a whopping... 3 royals (from 2 royal families) attended?

The Takamado couple attended the 1999 Women's World Cup in the US. Princess Hisako was scheduled to attend 2023 Women's World Cup but her mother died and she canceled due to mourning. It would have been her 2nd Women's World Cup although she has attended more Men's World Cups. I don't why Princess Hisako didn't attend other Women's World Cup especially when Japan reached the final (and won) in 2011.

Last edited:
William is President of the FA so should attend IMO.

:previous: yes, would be a huge disappointment if he doesn't go. Really surprised how less royals attend the tournament this year. Yes I know women football is far less popular but popularity shouldn't determine the level of support from the royal family.

Love how the SRF always so supportive to their national team.

I don't why Princess Hisako didn't attend other Women's World Cup especially when Japan reached the final (and won) in 2011.

Not sure about the rest but for 2011 maybe because of the 311 great earthquake? The tournament took place just few months after the earthquake.

William is President of the FA so should attend IMO.

It wouldn't be the right time for William to come to Australia.

We are in the middle of a referendum campaign that is dividing the nation and no doubt he would be pictured with supporters of one side of the issue (beside the PM).

He wouldn't want to be but he would be brought into the politics here.

The best Aussie woman has spoken in favour of the Yes vote so even being seen with her would be taken as supporting the Yes side and he can't be allowed to be used in that way.

The fight for this referendum is dirty in many ways with allegations and accusations going both ways so it simply would be disastrous for the BRF if, even inadvertently, William was brought into the debate.

He is, at the moment anyway, the future King of Australia.

If we were already a republic it wouldn't matter but his father is our King and so neither Charles nor William can be seen to be publicly supporting one side or the other.

It is royal protocol for them not to visit a realm if that realm is in an election mode.

Last edited:
It wouldn't be the right time for William to come to Australia.

We are in the middle of a referendum campaign that is dividing the nation and no doubt he would be pictured with supporters of one side of the issue (beside the PM).

He wouldn't want to be but he would be brought into the politics here.

The best Aussie woman has spoken in favour of the Yes vote so even being seen with her would be taken as supporting the Yes side and he can't be allowed to be used in that way.

The fight for this referendum is dirty in many ways with allegations and accusations going both ways so it simply would be disastrous for the BRF if, even inadvertently, William was brought into the debate.

He is, at the moment anyway, the future King of Australia.

If we were already a republic it wouldn't matter but his father is our King and so neither Charles nor William can be seen to be publicly supporting one side or the other.

It is royal protocol for them not to visit a realm if that realm is in an election mode.

You are right in pointing out that The Voice Referendum has become "mud-slinging" on both side even more so then the 1999 Republic Referendum. I have read some nasty or deranged comments from some Australian Republic activist after the Ashes' controversies and now Australia's loss to England in the semi finals. Yes, I'm aware that "Twitter is not real life" and these people are just bitter that England were the better team in that match.

As much as William showing support for the Lionesses and women's football, it is probably better for him not to come to Australia for the final.

My family did watch both matches against France and England. Whilst we all rooting for the Matildas to win, there were times where we agreed that "The Lionesses are simply too good".

Last edited:
:previous: Thank you ILuvBertie and AC21091968 for your information about the current political climate.

Last edited:
https://people.com/prince-william-n...-spain-queen-letizia-travel-australia-7644774

I feel William should be making the trip to support the Lionesses in the final. There’s no doubt in my mind that were it the men’s competition, the diary would be cleared . It doesn’t reflect well when the Spanish Royals have announced their attendance. Hope there is a hasty rethink.

William can't come to Australia in the current political climate. It is that simple.

He would be drawn into a very nasty referendum campaign just by being here and being seen with the PM who heads the Yes campaign. There is no way the PM would allow him to be seen anywhere near anyone from the No campaign.

This referendum is turning very nasty at times from both sides.

If we had already had the referendum and things were settling down again, as they will, he would be able to come but it is simply protocol - during an ELECTION campaign situation in a realm senior royals don't visit that realm.

The Spanish royals aren't the current monarch or spouse or heir to the throne of Australia - William is. Many Australians won't even know who the Spanish royals are but the vast majority of Aussies will know who William is and know he is the heir to the throne of Australia.

This has nothing to do with supporting the men's or women's teams but about the political situation here in Australia.

William can't come to Australia in the current political climate. It is that simple.

He would be drawn into a very nasty referendum campaign just by being here and being seen with the PM who heads the Yes campaign. There is no way the PM would allow him to be seen anywhere near anyone from the No campaign.

This referendum is turning very nasty at times from both sides.

If we had already had the referendum and things were settling down again, as they will, he would be able to come but it is simply protocol - during an ELECTION campaign situation in a realm senior royals don't visit that realm.

The Spanish royals aren't the current monarch or spouse or heir to the throne of Australia - William is. Many Australians won't even know who the Spanish royals are but the vast majority of Aussies will know who William is and know he is the heir to the throne of Australia.

This has nothing to do with supporting the men's or women's teams but about the political situation here in Australia.

Of course he can! In the capacity of being the President of Football in the UK. That's it.

The referendum is not turning nasty at all! - it hasn't even been officially called! We have no date or even a hint when it'll be. And there is serious talk of moving it to next year due to the optics of spending millions of dollars instead of reducing the burden of cost of living. William attending the finals of the Women's World Cup has NOTHING implicit to do with the referendum and if you think the general Australian population see it as where he is being political in a referendum that is, at this stage, non-existent and all talk, then you need to read the room a lot more.

He will do more damage to the BRF if he doesn't come and support the Lioness'

Of course he can! In the capacity of being the President of Football in the UK. That's it.

The referendum is not turning nasty at all! - it hasn't even been officially called! We have no date or even a hint when it'll be. And there is serious talk of moving it to next year due to the optics of spending millions of dollars instead of reducing the burden of cost of living. William attending the finals of the Women's World Cup has NOTHING implicit to do with the referendum and if you think the general Australian population see it as where he is being political in a referendum that is, at this stage, non-existent and all talk, then you need to read the room a lot more.

He will do more damage to the BRF if he doesn't come and support the Lioness'

He is the heir to the throne of Australia. He can never simply come here as the President of the FA. He will always be the Prince of Wales and that has a different rank to the Queen of Spain in Australia.

If you don't think the referendum is turning nasty you aren't seeing and hearing what I am hearing (two staff at my school have been warned to change their views or lose their jobs and three casuals have been told they won't be employed again as they have simply asked for more information).

He won't damage the BRF by not coming but he could easily be drawn into a political debate in Australia if he came and that would damage the relationship between Australia and the UK and damage the status of the monarchy in this country.

It is simply protocol that senior royals do now visit a realm while there is a vote in the offing. The referendum is way too divisive an issue for him to be here while it is going on.

Back
Top Bottom