Royals at the FIFA Women's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, July-August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Spain is champion at the FIFA Women's World Cup in Australia! :spainflag:

Last edited:
And the second nation that had won both men and women World Cup!

Heartbroken, I wanted my adoptive country to win. So proud of the Lionesses.
Enhorabuena to the Spaniards, what a run!

Spain were first class! Wooow!

Congratulations Spain! :spainflag:

I was very surprised with seeing Queen Letizia and Infanta Sofia up on stage during the awards ceremony! They were right in it celebrating...good on them!

Last edited:
Well done Spain! And well done to the Lionesses for getting to the final. An incredible achievement.

Last edited:
That must be a truly magnificent experience for Sofia. And Letizia has witnessed both their national teams wining world cup for the first time in person! (probably also one of few people who has the chances to lift both trophy;))

Last edited:
As England lost (without William) and Spain won (with Letizia and Sofia in attendance), the unfortunate outcome is that William will be even more criticized even though, of course, there is no rational link between him not attending and the outcome of the match.

Congratulations to the World Champions and well done to the Lionesses for making to the final too!

Last edited:
Great pictures and videos! I bet it was so exciting for Sofía! Letizia also seemed to have a blast.

Congratulations to both teams!

As England lost (without William) and Spain won (with Letizia and Sofia in attendance), the sad part is that William will be even more criticized even though, of course, there is no rational link between him not attending and the outcome of the match.

I don’t get why this might be the case. The story has moved on, but as I noted earlier, his carbon footprint will be carefully monitored in the coming months.
I’m sure William will be part of the welcome home celebrations.

Last edited:
The Express has an interesting theory today that the real reason why William couldn’t go to Australia is that the Palace didn’t want the PoW to go down under before Charles visits Australia for the first time as King.

What do you think? Lame excuse, implausible theory , or a credible claim?

The Express has an interesting theory today that the real reason why William couldn’t go to Australia is that the Palace didn’t want the PoW to go down under before Charles visits Australia for the first time as King.

Personally, I think this is entirely possible, although it could also be a lame excuse. If a visit by the King to Australia is announced in the next month or so it becomes even more plausible.

I don't tend to use the words "Daily Express" and "credible" in the same sentence but it is possible, just as there are many other possible reasons why William was unable to attend. ?

Last edited by a moderator:

I think Charles is planning a tour there to Australia but not sure if it is this year or next. The Princess Royal was in NZ earlier this year I thought with a stopover in Sydney. In my mind it doesnt seem credible since William would not be on a tour but there as the president of FA.

I think Charles is planning a tour there to Australia but not sure if it is this year or next. The Princess Royal was in NZ earlier this year I thought with a stopover in Sydney. In my mind it doesnt seem credible since William would not be on a tour but there as the president of FA.

No it's not credible at all, this was a one off sporting event not a State visit so it's completely different. It's one of those ones where I think the royal household will hold up its hands and say they got it totally wrong (in private). No one really believes that if it had been the England mens team in that final that William wouldn't have been there. It was a huge mistake and I don't think anything similar will happen again.

Last edited:
What a World Cup, my friends!

As England lost (without William) and Spain won (with Letizia and Sofia in attendance), the unfortunate outcome is that William will be even more criticized even though, of course, there is no rational link between him not attending and the outcome of the match.

Congratulations to the World Champions and well done to the Lionesses for making to the final too!

I watched the final and was hoping England would win (so that it makes the Matildas' loss to the Lionesses less painful), it's ridiculous to suggest that William's non-attendance affected the outcome of the match. Spain was the better team and England was not as impressive compare to the semi-final against Australia.

It's almost as ludicrous as the claim that Anthony Albanese, Prime Minister of Australia, jinxed the Matildas after announcing that the country will have a public holiday if they won the FIFA World Cup.

If the reason William couldn't go was really because protocol means Charles should go first then I would imagine that would be have been announced by KP or leaked to the press as the 'not flying so far for so short due to climate impact' line seemed to be (all the media mentioned it in such a way that suggests IMO it was being briefed by KP) At least then it 'wouldn't have been William's fault' as it were and they could have shifted the blame elsewhere. I don't know but I'd also suspect as a commonwealth realm where Charles is Head of State the protocol about other family visiting is probably easier than if it were a 'foreign state'.
Edit to add - Anne visited Australia and New Zealand in Feb this year - yes it was before the King's coronation, but sill after his accession.That didn't seem to be a a problem.

Loved seeing Letizia and Sophia celebrating with the team, they seemed so made up for their team. I think the Spanish RF have always closely supported and followed the Spanish national football teams, I remember seeing Queen Sophia celebrating with the mens national team in the locker room after a win.

Last edited:
Wonderful to see the queen and Indanra there,I can't recall ever seeing Letizia enjoying herself so much!

Congratulations to Spain!!!!

What incredible moments seeing the Queen and Infanta Sofia celebrating with the team! That's what it's all about!! I am so glad the Spanish Court saw to it that the Queen and Infant Sofia attended.

We'll see the WWC in 2027!

So far (unless something dramatic happens a la the commonwealth games) the bids to host the 2027 Womens World Cup are:

Joint bid by Belgium, Netherlands and Germany
South Africa
Brazil
Mexico and USA

Ideally I'd like the three European countries to win the bid so we know we get to see some royals in attendance for sure.

Back
Top Bottom