Royals at the FIFA Women's World Cup in Australia and New Zealand, July-August 2023

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Another thing that grate on me is how people put too much importance on football as if it's the only sport that matter. I mean, William is also patron of Welsh rugby, would he ever go if Welsh happen to be in WC final? I don't think so (tbf, same as Catherine if England rugby team were in one) and I bet the backlash won't be like this because rugby is not as important as football, right?

Football is far and away the most popular sport in England. I'm not sure why that should grate on you.

I think a bit of what yukari says is true. I can't see a such a fuss if William or Catherine don't attend the rugby world cup final in France if their team makes it to that (and honestly not sure how that would work now with all of this fuss). But that said, there are a few differences.

The biggest is that this non attendance by William comes alongside a narrative widespread in the media that the womens team isn't being treated the same as the mens team. There has been a lot of talk over the past few months about that with various examples given, now many of those examples may have a good reason but still it is leading to a narrative in the media of "if this was the mens team". And that is where William and his staff have come unstuck, it's played into the ongoing narrative that this isn't being treated seriously and in the same way it would be if it were the mens team. I think that is why so much "importance" is being put on this.

The only critics are in the Daily mail and on here. From what I can see and read the public in general do not see it as a problem. I was going to say agree with him but I do not think it is even that, It is half way around the world, a 24 hour flight, for a 90 minute match. If it had been factored in to another trip that was in that general direction at the same time that would be fine.

To be fair the rugby world cup is in Europe so if one of the home nations reached the final it might be a better prospect for travel, then he will be criticised for picking men over women or rugby over football.

William is his own man, and good on him, he is not going to be pushed, we have seen it in the past , that is his character.

The only critics are in the Daily mail and on here. From what I can see and read the public in general do not see it as a problem.

The Independent: Prince William blasted by Lionesses fans

The Mirror: Prince William scoring own goal

The Star: Prince William accused of Lionesses own goal

The Telegraph: Unthinkable that Prince William would miss England *men* World Cup Final

Daily Record: Prince William slammed for women's World Cup snub

Express: An own goal for Prince William

The Times: Prince William urged to fly to World Cup final

William doesn't often get it wrong, and is rarely criticised in the press, but this time in an exception

The Telegraph: Unthinkable that Prince William would miss England *men* World Cup Final

William doesn't often get it wrong, and is rarely criticised in the press, but this time in an exception

Thank you for sharing these headlines. Having the press run news stories about the criticism is not the same as being criticized in the press, but the fact that the press is widely reporting on the criticism indicates that editors consider it important enough to be a news story, whether they personally agree with the criticism or not.

I have seen it debated on many shows as well. It is a hot topic because he is also the President of the FA. Also honestly, he knew when the finals were taking place and as he saw the team advancing, he should have started to make plans or at least prepped announcing his non attendance better. A lot of this could have been avoided. Saying he is on vacation really didn't help him.

It is a hot topic because he is also the President of the FA. Also honestly, he knew when the finals were taking place and as he saw the team advancing, he should have started to make plans or at least prepped announcing his non attendance better. A lot of this could have been avoided. Saying he is on vacation really didn't help him.

Yes, I agree with this analysis. I think the British Prime Minister also deciding not to attend has added to the public feeling that the women’s team is not being supported. William and his advisors didn’t anticipate the mood music. I’m actually surprised that some damage limitation hasn’t been put in place with another of the royals being sent along. Thing is, with a slimmed down family and so many of them quite senior in years it’s not so easy to provide a substitute.

These are headlines, IMO they do not reflect public opinion.
There will be new headlines today and tomorrow.

I would have preferred if all the children had been in the video to support the Lionesses. I feel like only including Charlotte screams “token gesture”. The whole nation is behind them, not just the girls and women.

I think part of your role as being President of the FA is showing your support by being there for the finals no matter where it is. It is not like this is conflicting with other royal duties. He is on vacation and he doesnt just get 2 weeks vacation a year. If he is going to pick and choose when to show up for things maybe he should pass off this role to someone else.

This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. The carbon footprint excuse just isn't cutting it at all. The PoW has a duty to be there. It's also hard to deny that if this was the men's team he would most likely be there. Making a video with his daughter just doesn't cut it. He's going to Singapore soon for just a few days so what's the difference. At least the Spaniards understand duty and supporting their country. This is a big mistake for the PoW.

Other than slight schadenfreude at seeing HRH The Prince of Wales get knocked down a peg or two, I honestly can't think of anything he could do about it at this point in time. Sure, planning in advance for this scenario would have been the best course of action, but the logistics of coordinating flights, securities, secured areas, and other things in less than 17 hours (the flight alone would be around 18 hours if he's in England) would be nearly impossible. Plus, if he already saw the Lionesses off before and told them about the situation, then at least he did his due diligence in that regard. But I don't have a dog in this fight; I'm sure that the British people have much more invested in the situation.

It's sweet that HRH Princess Charlotte of Wales was involved in the video. I believe that she's a big fan of football and the women's football team. I always felt bad that she didn't get to go to the match that she did a video supporting last time.

The only critics are in the Daily mail and on here. From what I can see and read the public in general do not see it as a problem. I was going to say agree with him but I do not think it is even that, It is half way around the world, a 24 hour flight, for a 90 minute match. If it had been factored in to another trip that was in that general direction at the same time that would be fine.

To be fair the rugby world cup is in Europe so if one of the home nations reached the final it might be a better prospect for travel, then he will be criticised for picking men over women or rugby over football.

William is his own man, and good on him, he is not going to be pushed, we have seen it in the past , that is his character.

My post in the Wales forums (post 22 here https://www.theroyalforums.com/foru...arities-2-sep-2022-a-50481-2.html#post2566426 and copied below) gave articles from almost every UK newspaper. It not just the DM and here

The Sun

https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/23540...rld-cup-final/
PRINCE William and Rishi Sunak have scored an own goal by deciding to skip the women’s World Cup final.

The Prince of Wales and the Prime Minister are to miss the match in Sydney, Australia, despite it being the Lionesses’ first appearance in the final.

It comes as Spain’s Queen Letizia revealed she would be heading Down Under.

Yesterday, Kensington Palace confirmed Prince William, who is president of the FA, would be roaring on the Lionesses from home.

William is believed to be against the 9,400-mile flight as he wants to keep down his carbon footprint.

Daily Mail
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ses-final.html

Foreign Secretary James Cleverly will make a late dash to Australia for the women's World Cup final as a sexism storm brews back home amid claims the Lionesses have been treated with 'disregard and disrespect'.

Anger has erupted over a shambolic scramble to allow pubs to serve booze before kick-off, snubs from Prince William and Rishi Sunak and no plans for a bank holiday should England triumph.

With barely 48 hours until the Lionesses line up against Spain, councils are facing a last-minute dash to relax restrictions so fans can enjoy a pint when the game starts at 11am. Most venues only have licences allowing them to sell alcohol from midday.

It comes as pressure also grew today on Prince William after Kensington Palace confirmed he would not be flying to Australia for the game.

(..) Daily Mail
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...n-Letizia.html

The row over Prince William's absence from this weekend's Women's World Cup final deepened today as a former sports minister said the royal should 'be there'.

Kensington Palace confirmed earlier this week that the Prince of Wales, who is president of the Football Association and therefore responsible for promoting the game nationally and internationally, would not be making the trip Down Under.

He will instead be roaring on the Lionesses - who are representing England in its first World Cup final since 1966 - from home, as will Prime Minister Rishi Sunak, who will also not be in attendance for Sunday's clash with Spain.

The Times
https://archive.ph/CNMU7

The Prince of Wales is facing calls to cut short his holiday and attend the Women’s World Cup final in Australia on Sunday, after it was announced that his Spanish royal counterparts would be there.

As president of the Football Association (FA), the governing body of English football, the heir to the throne is responsible for promoting the game nationally and internationally at all levels.

However, after England’s 3-1 victory over Australia on Wednesday, Kensington Palace said that the prince, 41, would not attend Stadium Australia in Sydney and instead planned to watch the match against Spain on television in the UK.

Daily Telegraph
https://archive.ph/whuRL

The Prince of Wales has come under pressure to attend the Women’s World Cup final after the Queen of Spain confirmed she would be there.

The Prince, 41, president of the Football Association (FA), has opted not to break away from his holidays to cheer on the Lionesses in Sydney and will instead watch Sunday’s historic match on television.

By contrast, his Spanish counterpart Queen Letizia, 50, has confirmed she will make the journey with Princess Sofia, her 16-year-old daughter, to cheer on the national team.

(..)

The Mirror
https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/royals...queen-30731154

Prince William and the Princess of Wales have been shown up by Spain's Queen Letizia, who has confirmed she will be attending the Lioness's World Cup final clash, according to one commentator.

The beloved Spanish monarch will head out on a day-long, 9,400-mile trip to Sydney, Australia later this week so she and her daughter, Infanta Sofia, can cheer on the Spanish women's team while the Wales family keeps their feet planted firmly on UK ground.

Supporters cheering on the womens' team from home, like the Wales's, won't be able to get in a cheery mood for the start of the match as many pubs aren't licensed to sell booze before 11am. The Liberal Democrats and pubs had been asking for a relaxation to the rules ahead of the bout, which ministers shot down.

(..)

Last edited by a moderator:
These are headlines, IMO they do not reflect public opinion.

Here is a scientific public opinion survey of Great Britain adults taken on August 18, 2023:

https://yougov.co.uk/topics/sport/survey-results/daily/2023/08/18/ea88d/1

England are playing in the Women’s World Cup final in Australia this Sunday. Do you think Prince William, who is the president of the Football Association (FA), should or should not be expected to attend the match?

52% Should be expected to attend
25% Should not be expected to attend
24% Don't know

The responses are consistent across region, gender, politics, and social grade. There is some variation by age, with older adults being more closely divided, but in all age groups, those who say he should be expected to attend outnumber those who say he should not be expected to attend. (Adults 65+ think he should be expected to attend by 44% to 33%, while adults 18-24 agree by 60% to 20%.)

For those interested, Prince William's non-attendance is also being discussed in the British forum: The Prince of Wales and Sporting Charities 2: Sep 2022-

Had just come to post that, Yougov is one of the better polling agencies IMO. Good to know its no just some posters here.

Opposition politicians are just points-scoring with a lot of this. Changing the licensing hours would mean recalling Parliament. That only happens in exceptional circumstances, e.g. when Iraq invaded Kuwait in August 1990, not to let pubs sell beer an hour earlier than usual! The whole thing is unfortunately being turned into a political football (pun intended), with the President of FIFA now being accused of sexism. But William should still be going.

This leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. The carbon footprint excuse just isn't cutting it at all. The PoW has a duty to be there. It's also hard to deny that if this was the men's team he would most likely be there. Making a video with his daughter just doesn't cut it. He's going to Singapore soon for just a few days so what's the difference. At least the Spaniards understand duty and supporting their country. This is a big mistake for the PoW.

I fully expected a video with Charlotte and she looked very adorable but it would have been nice to see the George and Louis supporting too. Imagine had the three of them been in jerseys wishing them luck.

Also if the Queen of Spain can get there and deal with the security issues and what not than the Prince of Wales can get there too. I don't buy that excuse as he is the President of the FA and knew the dates well in advance. There is really no reason why he didn't preplan this anyways no matter if England advanced or not. Why isn't he there period as the President?

I think that is the issue being raised more.

Well the Queen of Spain and her daughter have a nice winter day here in Sydney before tonight’s final, sunny and meant to get to 22 degrees.

If they don’t spend the day recovering from their flight, there may be some photos of them taking in a few sights, they’ve got the weather for it.

While is would have been great if the Prince of Wales has attended the finals, We none us know what goes on behind the scenes. He could have had a credible threat against him. He may have a medical issue that advises against a long haul flight. There could be any number of things going on that we are not privy too. Just my thoughts..

Sky News interviewed a royal historian about it last night. I thought that was slightly OTT, but it shows that it's a big issue.

Anyway, let's concentrate on the match. Come on the Lionesses!!

I would have preferred if all the children had been in the video to support the Lionesses. I feel like only including Charlotte screams “token gesture”. The whole nation is behind them, not just the girls and women.

Exactly my thoughts :rolleyes: We know George is a football fan – he's brought him to the men's games – why not include him in the video as well?

Sort of emphasises the whole issue for me: The inequality in treatment of the national teams.

We're supposed to believe he also wouldn't have flown out had it been the men's team that was playing the biggest possible final you can reach in international – despite being president of the team's own federation. Right. Would he also have recorded a video only with Charlotte for the men's team and left out George (and Louis) then? I doubt it. So even in his half-hearted attempt to say "no, no, I don't treat the women any different than the men"... he treats the women different than the men :cool:

A shame William doesn't seem to comprehend that – and even more so, that he has no one around who can help him comprehend it.

While is would have been great if the Prince of Wales has attended the finals, We none us know what goes on behind the scenes. He could have had a credible threat against him. He may have a medical issue that advises against a long haul flight. There could be any number of things going on that we are not privy too. Just my thoughts..

Thank you for posting this comment; I was going to say exactly the same. There could be many reasons why William isn't attending that we haven't even considered or thought of. I'm disappointed he won't be there, naturally (I couldn't care less about Sunak, a weak and ineffectual PM in IMO) but I accept he can't be, and don't have a major problem with it.

I hope England win, 1. because I was born and live in England (I prefer to identify as British European) and 2. because if they don't no doubt some people will jump at the chance to blame William for not being there to cheer them on. I've already seen that one coming.

As far as the press are concerned I stopped taking notice of their hysterical sales/clickbait based headlines many moons ago; but I was interested to see that the essentially anti-monarchy Guardian publishes under a calm headline a very balanced story...

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-good-luck-in-the-final-but-will-not-be-there

...in that it explains that he has apologised, and reports Gaby Logan's criticism. Of course, Gaby Logan like the rest of us has no idea why William isn't going, and goes leaping in Spring-heeled Jack style to the conclusion that it would be different if it were the men's team...but would it?

Other than slight schadenfreude at seeing HRH The Prince of Wales get knocked down a peg or two, I honestly can't think of anything he could do about it at this point in time. Sure, planning in advance for this scenario would have been the best course of action, but the logistics of coordinating flights, securities, secured areas, and other things in less than 17 hours (the flight alone would be around 18 hours if he's in England) would be nearly impossible. Plus, if he already saw the Lionesses off before and told them about the situation, then at least he did his due diligence in that regard. But I don't have a dog in this fight; I'm sure that the British people have much more invested in the situation.

It's sweet that HRH Princess Charlotte of Wales was involved in the video. I believe that she's a big fan of football and the women's football team. I always felt bad that she didn't get to go to the match that she did a video supporting last time.

Apart from the first line, an excellent post; but why the schadenfreude? I'm genuinely curious to know why you enjoy "seeing HRH The Prince of Wales get knocked down a peg or two"...and I suspect a few of the other people here criticising William, too? Is it really just because he isn't going to a football match? ;)

All MOO

Last edited:
Queen Letizia, accompanied by the Infanta Sofía, in Sydney/Wangal (Australia) to attend the final of the "FIFA Women's World Cup" between the teams of Spain and England.

https://www.casareal.es/ES/Actividades/Paginas/actividades_actividades_detalle.aspx?data=15829

https://www.hola.com/realeza/casa_e...infanta-sofia-presiden-final-futbol-femenino/

The Crown Princess of Sweden family sends their warmest congratulations to swewnt after yesterday's bronze.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CwKZDJ3K4dZ/

Another video of Queen Letizia and Infanta Sofia in the final of the "FIFA Women's World Cup".

Last edited by a moderator:

Yikes, people are slaughtering PW on social media
They really are. Most English I follow on X/Twitter, more non-royal watchers than royal watchers, have an issue with William not being in Sydney. And, as someone quite succinctly pointed out, if England men's team ever does make the World Cup final him attending that will become a big pr issue as well.

I expect they are. I wouldn't expect any different from a social media site like Twitter or X or whatever it calls itself TBH. They are toxic gossip dens, basically. Which is why I avoid them like the plague, and attach no value to them whatsoever. ?

Once they have finished with William, the twitter vultures will soon find someone new to tear apart.

Carol Vorderman used to be on a TV gameshow. She's now trying to create an image for herself as a left-wing activist, and is always ranting about something or other on Twitter to try to get attention. I wouldn't take too much notice of her comments.

Everyone's jumping on the sexism bandwagon. We've now got the Mayor of Greater Manchester complaining that today's men's matches weren't rescheduled, even though only one match actually clashes with the women's final.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom