William and Kate: engagement and relationship rumours and musings 2009

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's getting serious,in my opinion,although it wasn't the right night to propose.Perhaps,it's not the right phase in William's life to propose in general,as many members said before.

To be honest I get the impression that William doesn’t really care what people think about his and Kate’s relationship. I think he stayed there simply because that is what they had planned to do and not as a sort of a ‘yes we’re together, everything is fine’ signal for the media. IMO if he was going to go down that road with them he would of done it long before now. Of course I could be very wrong and this could be their way of saying ‘OK we’re not getting married any time soon but we are in a stable and serious relationship’. Who knows?

I see the line of events of this last year and it does show me that there is some sort of public commitment, even though there is no formal announcement yet. For any traditional thinking person the fact that he is allowed to stay overnight in such a public way at his girlfriend's home when her parents are at home is quite a declaration of ernestness. I wouldn't wonder if this was the night he declared his intentions to her parents after he had received his father's Royal permission (in lieu of HM).

Or am I the only one one who thinks that the fact that his car was parked overnight at her house for anyone to see gives the relationship more weight?

Perhaps it does give it more weight but it might also show a complete disregard for appearances.

What do you mean?That William,or perhaps both,doesn't care about when,where and how the paparazzis or the people will see him?

What do you mean?That William,or perhaps both,doesn't care about when,where and how the paparazzis or the people will see him?

No, I will spell it out. Usually a young man is more careful about showing he is spending a night with a young lady, but then modern times. Her parents were present I think/know but even then he could be more careful of her reputation - unless of course he is popping the question right now.....

So it's O.K. for Kate to be known to have spent days with William's father and stepmother without consequence to her reputation. But it's not O.K. for William to be known to have spent a night at her parents' house without a formal engagement?:wub:

How about all the times they've been photographed on the same ski or beach vacations. They would have stayed in the same places.

this won't have any effect on her reputation. it's as normal as holding hands these days. honestly, we don't live in the dark ages anymore. and anyone that thinks, after all this time that she's still a virgin...well lets just say that they haven't been paying much attention. i can't help but think that some sort of significant event is going to take place in the near future. for william to agree to spend the night, quietly at her parents home makes me think that they are trying to enjoy the last moments/days of privacy and normalcy that they may have left. yes, there was some hoopla during catherine's birthday last year but let's face it, it was the paps following her...par for the course nowadays for her. she has significanlty reduced her time in public as has been evidenced by the lack of photos of her so it sends a signal. we'll just have to be patient.

To be honest I get the impression that William doesn’t really care what people think about his and Kate’s relationship. I think he stayed there simply because that is what they had planned to do and not as a sort of a ‘yes we’re together, everything is fine’ signal for the media. IMO if he was going to go down that road with them he would of done it long before now. Of course I could be very wrong and this could be their way of saying ‘OK we’re not getting married any time soon but we are in a stable and serious relationship’. Who knows?

I tend to agree with you, Amelia. I think that we all probably scrutinize and make meaning from their actions a lot more than they do.

this won't have any effect on her reputation. it's as normal as holding hands these days. honestly, we don't live in the dark ages anymore. and anyone that thinks, after all this time that she's still a virgin...well lets just say that they haven't been paying much attention. i can't help but think that some sort of significant event is going to take place in the near future. for william to agree to spend the night, quietly at her parents home makes me think that they are trying to enjoy the last moments/days of privacy and normalcy that they may have left. yes, there was some hoopla during catherine's birthday last year but let's face it, it was the paps following her...par for the course nowadays for her. she has significanlty reduced her time in public as has been evidenced by the lack of photos of her so it sends a signal. we'll just have to be patient.

Well the days of chivalry seem to have been left back in the dark ages. There was a time when at least the man, if he cared for a girl enough, was more careful about being seen too openly going about doing what everyone knew they were doing anyway.....it was only a gesture but it was a polite gesture.
If what they are doing means no more than a handshake these days, then I suppose there is no reason to expect an announcement.

I tend to agree with you, Amelia. I think that we all probably scrutinize and make meaning from their actions a lot more than they do.
Definitely we do, along with the press. When there were no photographs of them together for a while towards the end of last year the press had them all but broken up, when photographers finally caught up with them again the press had them ready to announce to their engagement at Christmas/New Year/Kate’s birthday. I really think that they are just two people in a relationship following their own path.

Or am I the only one one who thinks that the fact that his car was parked overnight at her house for anyone to see gives the relationship more weight?
I think this is completely irrelevant.
William has stayed at the Middleton's before, he has gone numerous times on vacation with the whole family, he even saw mama Middleton in a bikini.
Obviously, they know Kate and William sleep together and nobody is having a problem with that.

Nowadays, unless there is a case of underage sex or if the family is very traditional and religious, I can't see how any parent would have any problem with their adult daughter having a sexual relationship with her long term boyfriend, even under their own roof (their house is big anyway).
I also would seriously question the judgement, or rather, the realism, of anyone who would think less of Kate (or William) based on this.

I'm sure nobody has a problem with that.I don't even understand why we continue this.They are a modern couple and that's it.My question is different:don't you feel that they are much closer to a serious commitment this time?Personally,I do :flowers:

They have got to have serious commitment to be together for six years.

Nowadays, unless there is a case of underage sex or if the family is very traditional and religious, I can't see how any parent would have any problem with their adult daughter having a sexual relationship with her long term boyfriend, even under their own roof (their house is big anyway).

I also would seriously question the judgement, or rather, the realism, of anyone who would think less of Kate (or William) based on this.

Well said, Idriel. I agree completely. They're two adults in a long-term committed relationship, and that should be that.

don't you feel that they are much closer to a serious commitment this time?Personally,I do :flowers:
I see no indication either way.
If you look at their relationship before 2007, William already stayed at the Middletons from time to times, Kate was already being invited to royal properties and social events, the whole family got invited to his passing out parade in presence of the Queen and that yet didn't prevent him to swiftly dump her a few months later.
I think the only sure fire conclusion we can make from his staying in for her birthday is that they are a couple at the moment, and like any couple they like to spend time together. Period.

Well the days of chivalry seem to have been left back in the dark ages. There was a time when at least the man, if he cared for a girl enough, was more careful about being seen too openly going about doing what everyone knew they were doing anyway.....it was only a gesture but it was a polite gesture.
If what they are doing means no more than a handshake these days, then I suppose there is no reason to expect an announcement.

to be honest, i would love to see chivalry and old fashioned manners come back into vogue but that's not very likely to happen. her reputation has never come in to question during all these vacations they take or while she spent the night at CH so why would it come into question now. the mere fact that he is going to her home rather than she going to his is quite significant IMO. i think the time has come for him to spend time in her surroundings...getting to know her family and them getting to know him and this is why i feel that something is going to happen in the near future.

I'd bet that this isn't the first time Prince William has stayed at the Middleton family home, but it is interesting that his car was parked in a place where it was obviously visible to the camera. Surely he knew that if there was a chance of photographers being around, they'd see the car and it would make news. Perhaps that's the most significant part of this, if there is one?

that could be true ella however i would think that having the prince stay at their home would entail a lot of security so i can't see it happening very often. it is interesting that his car would be in plain sight. you would think that it would either be hidden from sight or more likely that he would be driven there.

I think that William and Kate are very much people of their times. I know of people who have had old-fashioned courtships, including my hubby and I; but people who are like that now are very much counter-cultural. :flowers:

No, I will spell it out. Usually a young man is more careful about showing he is spending a night with a young lady, but then modern times. Her parents were present I think/know but even then he could be more careful of her reputation - unless of course he is popping the question right now.....

Originally Posted by Menarue

I don't know, it's quite common for even religious people to bring their significant other home to meet their parents, and for the significant other to spend the night at the parent's house. When I was away at school, I brought a couple of boyfriends home to meet my parents, and they stayed at my parent's house...... Heck, I even brought a guy home who I was just friends with once (with another pal)

And since well I'm conservative about these things, it was seperate rooms and beds.

People shouldn't be making assumptions when it comes to things like that.

I agree, bekalc. I'm conservative about these things as well. :flowers: But I think that the assumption is made in this case because William and Kate have gone on vacation together and are rumoured to have shared a room. Sexual behaviour is practically assumed to have been happening between people who are dating, particularly people who have been dating for a long time. :ermm:

And since well I'm conservative about these things, it was seperate rooms and beds.

People shouldn't be making assumptions when it comes to things like that.

I agree, bekalc. I'm conservative about these things as well. :flowers: But I think that the assumption is made in this case because William and Kate have gone on vacation together and are rumoured to have shared a room. Sexual behaviour is practically assumed to have been happening between people who are dating, particularly people who have been dating for a long time. :ermm:

Well yes, I agree I assume that William and Kate are likely sleeping together too because of the whole vacation thing etc... But I was just commenting on the poster's comment about the car being at the parent's house. Him staying at her parents house doesn't mean anything. That's all I was saying.

I see.:flowers:
Well yes, I agree I assume that William and Kate are likely sleeping together too because of the whole vacation thing etc... But I was just commenting on the poster's comment about the car being at the parent's house. Him staying at her parents house doesn't mean anything. That's all I was saying.

There has been a lot of comment about the potential significance of Will staying over at Kate's, and his car being visible. My own sense is that this is unlikely to have been the first time he has stayed there, merely the first time his car has been photographed there.

Do I think it was delibrate to leave the car there to be photographed: No. I do not think William particularly cares. As it was an Audi A6 estate (and not the S4 that Will drives himself) that was photographed, my guess is that the car belonged to the PoW's household, and it may well be that a security guard stayed over as well at the house, whilst the rest of the security team stayed elsewhere.

I wouldn't even comment on Kate's "reputation",that's out of the question,let's move on:I believe it's getting more serious,because of the fact that William is entering a new "difficult" phase (because of his military duties and responsibilities).He propably needs Kate more than ever.Plus,we can't be sure that he "dumbed" her 2 months ago.

I wouldn't even comment on Kate's "reputation",that's out of the question,let's move on:I believe it's getting more serious,because of the fact that William is entering a new "difficult" phase (because of his military duties and responsibilities).He propably needs Kate more than ever.Plus,we can't be sure that he "dumbed" her 2 months ago.

True. Who are we to say that this relationship will last. It might, it might not.

Well the Birthday is over, the present has been given, so far no announcement.

I have a feeling we won't be hearing an announcement for some time. My best guess is that they'll marry after William finishes his training (eighteen months from now, around summer 2010) and begin their married life on a military base as he begins his three-year tour as a pilot. I would imagine an announcement of an official engagement wouldn't come, then, until late this year or early next.

I have a feeling we won't be hearing an announcement for some time. My best guess is that they'll marry after William finishes his training (eighteen months from now, around summer 2010) and begin their married life on a military base as he begins his three-year tour as a pilot. I would imagine an announcement of an official engagement wouldn't come, then, until late this year or early next.

Or perhaps never.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom