Prince William's Suitability to be King

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
As the Queen becomes increasingly frail in future years I can see Charles presiding over these PC meetings, though.

Personally I think these will be one of the last things the Queen gives up, they take place at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle so basically at her 'house', they don't last forever and the Queen merely says approved to each item read out at a meeting organised by the President of the Council. To me even if the Queen is too old or infirm to go out and about she would need to be on deaths door and a regency declared before she gave these up.

I can see Charles doing more of the engagements, overseas travel, audiences etc but this is one of those events that make up the Queen's constitutional role which she no doubt sees as important so she will do it until she is utterly incapable of doing so.

William will have to take more responsabiliades when it becomes Prince of Wales, has no discussion.
But if he does not like to be in this position can give way for Harry.
I do not believe much in this news.

Personally I think these will be one of the last things the Queen gives up, they take place at Buckingham Palace or Windsor Castle so basically at her 'house', they don't last forever and the Queen merely says approved to each item read out at a meeting organised by the President of the Council. To me even if the Queen is too old or infirm to go out and about she would need to be on deaths door and a regency declared before she gave these up.

I can see Charles doing more of the engagements, overseas travel, audiences etc but this is one of those events that make up the Queen's constitutional role which she no doubt sees as important so she will do it until she is utterly incapable of doing so.
Reading the items on the agenda it is very clear that for some of the issues lots of work has been done and been properly vetted through proper channels. The meetings are mere formality as I doubt any of the items are just sprung on Her Majesty. Although the Queen is the one having the final say in these meetings the work in the back ground in getting these issues to a formal approval stage may very well involve the Prince of Wales.

William will have to take more responsabiliades when it becomes Prince of Wales, has no discussion.

But if he does not like to be in this position can give way for Harry.

I do not believe much in this news.

Harry isn't the next in line. He is behind George and Charlotte. William can't give away his kids rights to the throne.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It is clear that the palace is preparing for the unavoidable. It would be strange when they would not do so. Even when the Prince of Wales dislikes to look forward into a future without Queen Elizabeth, we can be sure that all has been prepared by "the grey men". This includes the proper hand-over to the new Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay, William.

Last edited:
Harry isn't the next in line. He is behind George and Charlotte. William can't give away his kids rights to the throne.

Exactly. If he wanted to abdicate he would have done it before having a big state wedding, having produced kids for the line, done investures, become a knight of the Garter etc. I mean... it doesn't make sense to have the debate about "if he wants to be king". Ofc he doesn't WANT to... but he will do his duty like those before him!

Prince William is establishing his own path just like his father did at the same age. I hope the Prince is given the space to pursue his own interests as there may be another 30+ years before he becomes the King. The long wait has not been easy for Prince Charles so I am certain he is more than willing to give his son more time and space to pursue interests that will make his time worth while. Prince Charles has been waiting for so long that he may be reluctant to have his son breathing down his neck as soon as he becomes the King. Prince William will be able to assume his duties when that day comes just as Princess Elizabeth was when she suddenly became the Queen.

Usually the Mail writes crap or made-up stuff... But does anybody get the feeling that this seems to be a "leaked" account from the palace? I got that vibe from the first lines... Anyway, true or not, I think it is not too early to start thinking about that... They all behave like the queen were immortal... and I don't understand that. Yes, it can takes a long time but it could happen tomorrow as well... and it wouldn't be bad to have one's mind already made up about small things etc.

as did I ... I think there are 'inside sources' that want their agenda escalated.. Not necessarily Charles' views - but perhaps those at the trust that would like William taking over for his father rather than risk the trust blending in upon Charles succession of the throne.

I will also give credit to the article for pointing out that part of this dilemma is also a result of the 'forecasted downsizing' of the RF. I know Andrew and Charles are not close - but Andrew could have migrated over nicely to The Prince's Trust to chair/patron on behalf of his brother The King... and who knows that may have been a consideration on the table before Andrew got into his amount of controversy. Now Andrew has his own pitchatpalace program. And I had thought Edward was being groomed to take over managing the private estates of Sandringham and Balmoral taking over from his father.

I do think that we are not discussing anything new here, that has not been going on behind the scenes for some time now.

If William wants to can renounce his rights to the throne and his descendants.

I think William will never do that.

It is clear that the palace is preparing for the unavoidable. It would be strange when they would not do so. Even when the Prince of Wales dislikes to look forward into a future without Queen Elizabeth, we can be sure that all has been prepared by "the grey men". This includes the proper hand-over to the new Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay, William.
I am sure you are correct. At that level of government everything is already planned, including the funeral for either the Queen or D of E. Nothing is left to chance. But until the inevitable happens, Prince William is being allowed to pursue his own interests in addition to his role as the second in line.

No he can't. He can't touch George or Charlotte's rights to the throne. He can only give up his own.

If William wants to can renounce his rights to the throne and his descendants.

I think William will never do that.

Impossible. A successor can not renounce other successors' rights, only his/her own birthright.

B
as did I ... I think there are 'inside sources' that want their agenda escalated.. Not necessarily Charles' views - but perhaps those at the trust that would like William taking over for his father rather than risk the trust blending in upon Charles succession of the throne.

I will also give credit to the article for pointing out that part of this dilemma is also a result of the 'forecasted downsizing' of the RF. I know Andrew and Charles are not close - but Andrew could have migrated over nicely to The Prince's Trust to chair/patron on behalf of his brother The King... and who knows that may have been a consideration on the table before Andrew got into his amount of controversy. Now Andrew has his own pitchatpalace program. And I had thought Edward was being groomed to take over managing the private estates of Sandringham and Balmoral taking over from his father.

I do think that we are not discussing anything new here, that has not been going on behind the scenes for some time now.

The Prince's Trust is a mighty vehicle and an excellent instrument of propaganda, to position the future King in the heart of society, as the Trust aims to encourage society. I think it is and has always been the intention that the Prince's Trust -named after and bearing the proud emblem of the Prince of Wales - remains connected to the Heir.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to agree that when the time comes, the Prince's Trust most likely will follow Charles as he takes up the mantle of being the monarch. It was just announced recently that for HM's 90th birthday there is to be a huge street party and will reflect on the 600+ organizations that have HM as their patron. Charles doesn't do anything by half measures and most likely has the best of the best in positions of managing the Trust.

They made mention of what would happen to the Prince's Trust when Charles became King and what might possibly happen but I noticed there was no mention of what Charles would do with HM's charities and patronages when the time comes.

It is very unwise for Charles not to seek help from his siblings, especially given his somewhat unreliable sons. Edward/Sophie and Anne would be valuable assets to Charles' reign, although Andrew and his daughters could be either neutral or a liability.

The patronages of Philip and the Queen will be redistributed. There is going to be lots of rearranging of things when Charles become King. He can take some of the Queen's patronage. William and Kate take over for Charles and Camilla for patronages in Cornwall and in Wales. Other royals take over patronages.

Look at the Royal colonels of the Guards Division. Philip is colonel of the Grenadiers, Charles is Welsh, William is Irish. Queen is colonel in chief of all. Charles will move up to colonel in chief as King. William will become Prince of Wales almost certainly. Does he move over to the Welsh? Philip passes and opens up Grenadiers. Maybe Andrew, Harry or Edward gets a guard division.

Andrew said when the Queen Mum and Margaret died, the royals gathered around a table and divided up the open patronages among themselves.

Last edited:
:previous:

Exactly. And this is one of the reasons I think William, Kate and Harry still have rather low number of patronages so they can take alot of the ones that will come from the older generation "going out of buissnes". Not only the Queen and Phillip but some of the cousins etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder if Harry will get a new title as he moves into full-time duties after William moves into being the PoW.

Will William retrain the DoC as part of his titles when he becomes the PoW?

LaRae

William keeps his current title as Duke of Cambridge. He becomes Duke of Cornwall and Duke of Rothesay in Scotland automatically when Charles becomes King. He has to be created Prince of Wales, Earl of Chester by his father. When William becomes King, Prince George is the Duke of Cornwall and Rothesay in Scotland and created PoW. The Cambridge dukedom is merged with the crown and could be given out again say to another son of William and Kate.

Harry can be created a peer at anytime but it's usually done on a wedding day.

I wonder if Harry will get a new title as he moves into full-time duties after William moves into being the PoW.

Will William retrain the DoC as part of his titles when he becomes the PoW?

LaRae
William will retain it. He will not automatically become prince of Wales so at first he will become Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge + his others. I don't know about Harry. If he is married by then I think he will already have his own title and my uneducated guess is that Harry would be given his own title when Charles become kind because he can't be Prince Harry of Wales anymore since the of Wales people will be Williams kids. So my guess is that Harry would be given his own title then even if he's not married. :)

Whatever happened to the, was it, six hundred odd Patronages Diana, Princess of Wales gave up post divorce?

Whatever happened to the, was it, six hundred odd Patronages Diana, Princess of Wales gave up post divorce?
Huh, I don't know since I wasn't around by then (well I was, but I was more concerned about toys and snacktime :p ) I've heard that William and/or Harry took up some of them later on when they were older? I guess some of the more "important" ones (I know...poor choice of words) might have been taken up by the other royals. But I would also like to know what was done with those since the only ones I've heard about being "spread around" are the Queen Mothers and Margarets.

I have asked for a long time what happens over the charities, concerns etc with a smaller working Royal Family. It has been said that The DOC is in favour of only having those he can be 'hands on about', not just a name on headed paper and that is admirable but what happens to them. I mean Princess Anne carries out some approximately six hundred engagements a year. I know The Wessex's do alot as well but the cousins do quite a bit. Indeed doesn't H.M make a point of The large Christmas Dinner at Buckingham Palace as an acknowledgment and gradititude for their work?

:previous: /Good post. William has had nearly the exact same education, military training and preparation as most of these men and his father's adult peers. William's personality is similar to his paternal grandmother's shy but warm IMHO.

William's personality has always reminded me of a less sheltered version of The Queen's. I see more of her, (and the DoE), in him than either of his parents, really, at least in the way he approaches public life and interacts with people.

One of the nice things about a monarchy, IMO, is that it can reinvent itself with every new monarch. The British people, especially, seem to come to care for their kings or queens in spite of, or even because of, their various quirks and differences. Charles has a completely different style compared to his mother, and William is not a carbon copy of Charles, and that's a good thing.

An interesting question was raised earlier today in this thread. If Prince William denounce the position as the rightful heir after his father, what will that do to the succession rights of his children? Will he not then take not only himself but also his line out of the succession right? I am assuming that if he were to become King after his father's death and then immediately abdicate, his children would not loose their place but rather Prince George would then be next in line. But what if he decides he does not want to be King and renounces his right before becoming King himself? Any British constitutional experts on this board?

That was already answered earlier. He can only give up his own rights to the throne. Not the rights of George or Charlotte.

That was already answered earlier. He can only give up his own rights to the throne. Not the rights of George or Charlotte.

If he denounces his rightful place then the children are no longer children of an heir. The answer may not be so simple. If you have a source please post the link.

If he denounces his rightful place then the children are no longer children of an heir. The answer may not be so simple. If you have a source please post the link.
He cannot denounce his line. He can only abdicate once he's the king, and then George automatically becomes king. The only way William could be taken out of the line before becoming king is if they issue a new letter patent or if he converts to a Catholic. (Or at least this is how I have understood it)

It's the same with Charles. If charles abdicate would lose the right to succession his children; Of course not. No matter if the children of William is minor.

It is that simple though.
George would be Charles' successor.

It's like if Charles renounced his place it would go straight to William.

Back
Top Bottom