The Popularity Of Royals In Their Own Country

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To be honest, in Diana's case, that is something we will never know. Going by what I've witnessed here in the different threads, Diana's seem to have long periods of inactivity until someone bumps up a thread and then its a flurry of activity and then goes silent once more.

Yes it does, though as Diana has been dead for 18 years now I suppose that's natural. No new clothes, hairstyles, speeches, lovers, to discuss, or her relationship with her children and their spouses.

Diana though did have tremendous popularity within Britain and Europe and it would have been interesting to see if it would have remained with age and fading looks or whether her experience would have been akin to Margaret, Paola and even Grace.

Yes it does, though as Diana has been dead for 18 years now I suppose that's natural. No new clothes, hairstyles, speeches, lovers, to discuss, or her relationship with her children and their spouses.

Diana though did have tremendous popularity within Britain and Europe and it would have been interesting to see if it would have remained with age and fading looks or whether her experience would have been akin to Margaret, Paola and even Grace.

I think it would have lasted IMO but of cause we will never know so it is all just our own thoughts

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Most and least popular royals?

Who are the most popular, likeable, well respected royals in their own country? What about the least?

For instance (I think?) I heard that King Harald and Queen Sonja are extremely popular, but their children are not.

Or King philippe and queen Mathilde, but not prince Laurent.

Màxima, obviously.

I think least popular is probably Prince Bernhard, the son of Princess Margriet, due to his shady business venture.

In UK I'd say most consistently popular is the Queen, least popular Prince Andrew or Princess Michael of Kent.

Empress Merel - is that Margriet's son who it was revealed owns a heck of a lot of property?

Last edited:
Last edited:
Sweden: Crown Princess Victoria is by far the most popular.

In UK I'd say most consistently popular is the Queen, least popular Prince Andrew or Princess Michael of Kent.

Empress Merel - is that Margriet's son who it was revealed owns a heck of a lot of property?

Yes, however, he also had a lot of goodwill because of his illness and his 'Hollandse 100' fundraising event has the support of several Dutch celebrities.

For the NL the last time there was a poll (king's day last year, so maybe we soon get a new one):
Q.Maxima was the most popular (indeed no surprise)
P.Mabel the least popular (got to admit i agree to that too)
https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/in-populariteit-gestegen-koning-viert-verjaardag-met-vrienden~af133b6d/
(in dutch, can't get google translate to translate the page)

To be honest, there are a couple of very unknown members of the dutch RF (children of P.Christina), i don't think they are actually known enough to make it to any list of this type

Last edited:
Same problem in the UK - polls tend to focus on the Queen, Philip, Charles,, Camilla, William, Catherine & Harry meaning the Queen's other children and cousins don't get polled about often.

For the NL the last time there was a poll (king's day last year, so maybe we soon get a new one):
Q.Maxima was the most popular (indeed no surprise)
P.Mabel the least popular (got to admit i agree to that too)
https://www.ad.nl/binnenland/in-populariteit-gestegen-koning-viert-verjaardag-met-vrienden~af133b6d/
(in dutch, can't get google translate to translate the page)

To be honest, there are a couple of very unknown members of the dutch RF (children of P.Christina), i don't think they are actually known enough to make it to any list of this type

I tried to find the data but it has been removed since. I guess that (500+) people had to choose from a list that only inlcluded the former queen, current king, queen, their three daughters and Beatrix' other son and daughters-in-law and probably princess Margriet and Pieter. So, of this group choosinf from this list 2 people picked princess Mabel, 7 princess Ariane and 8 princess Laurentien (I don't think anyone would have chosen princess Anita or princess Carolina had they been on the list), so not sure that Mabel is the least popular, at least she is well-kniwn enough to be included!

The polls are sometimes constructed so that you can only vote for one member whom you like most in a royal house. In Sweden, that means that Victoria gets lots of votes. Nothing wrong with that, but it means that the other members could have a higher approval rating that the poll shows. If you can grade how much you like the main players in the royal family (in any nation) on a scale from 1-10, that would give a more accurate result.

The problem with just asking - who do you like the most/ respect the most is that without giving all the options for them to choose from people will always be drawn to the most prominent members covered most by the media.

In Italy: the most beloved is Queen Elena.
Very very popular are also Queen Maria José, Princess Mafalda and Queen Margherita.
For the Royals mens: the most popular is King Umberto II, the others not so much (Queen Elena's husband, Vittorio Emanuele III, is hated for most italian people).

For the others royals popular in Italy: Princess Diana the most beloved after her also Queen Elizabeth II, William & Kate, Harry & Meghan are very popular.
Also the Royals of Spain, the Royals of Belgium, the Princes of Monaco and Queen Rania are quite popular, but not at the same popularity of British Royals.
For the past Royals, Empress Elizabeth of Austria is popular in Italy.

In Italy: the most beloved is Queen Elena.
Very very popular are also Queen Maria José, Princess Mafalda and Queen Margherita.
For the Royals mens: the most popular is King Umberto II, the others not so much (Queen Elena's husband, Vittorio Emanuele III, is hated for most italian people).

For the others royals popular in Italy: Princess Diana the most beloved after her also Queen Elizabeth II, William & Kate, Harry & Meghan are very popular.
Also the Royals of Spain, the Royals of Belgium, the Princes of Monaco and Queen Rania are quite popular, but not at the same popularity of British Royals.
For the past Royals, Empress Elizabeth of Austria is popular in Italy.

I am in Puglia now and indeed I have seen streets, piazzas, monuments and memorabilias dating back from the monarchy. Indeed Regina Elena and Re Umberto I are frequently visible. I have not seen any reference to Re Umberto II or to Regina Maria José. In general I think Italians are proud. I see lots of banderas. The only "monarchistic" bandera I could see was outside the Marine Barracks in Gallipoli. It looked a monarchistic flag, but it was just Italy's naval flag with a four-quartered arms in the centre.

I do not have the idea that there is any desire for a monarchy at all. On the contrary: the pugliese were laughing their hearts out and did react in disbelief when they heard that rich, well-developed and egalitarian Netherlands actually is a monarchy...

Last edited:
Only in Rome there are street referenced to Re Umberto and Maria José.
Both are very popular (and are quite beloved, expecially Queen Maria José) in Italy but there aren't street or school dedicated.
There are numerous street, piazzas, mounments and memorabilias dedicated to Princess Mafalda. She and Queen Elena are the most beloved of Savoy Family.
In Italy Savoy female members are more beloved than male members (Queen Elena, Princess Mafalda, Queen Maria Josè and Queen Margherita are very beloved by italians), for the males the only quite beloved Kings are King Umberto II and King Umberto I.
In Piedmont others Savoy family members are very popular: Maria Clotilde of Savoya nicknamed "The Saint of Moncalieri", the daughter of King Vittori Emanuele II, Rosa Teresa Vercellana Countess of Mirafiori, the morganatic wife of King Vittorio Emanuele II, very popular because is a sort of italian Cinderella, and Virginia Oldoini Verasis, Countess of Castiglione, misterss of King Vittorio Emanuele II, know for being the most beautiful woman of the century 1800.
In Italy King Vittorio Emanuele II is not too much beloved, King Vittorio Emanuele III is hated for most italian people. The others are not so popular.

I'm interested to know how popular is Guillaume and Stephanie in Luxembourg?

I wasn't quite sure where to put this observation, but came to the conclusion this thread named 'The Popularity of Royals in their own Country' might fit the bill. I was skipping through youtube channels and found one which i believe was called TalkTV which i presume is British. There were a couple of 'reporters' and they were going on about the King and Prince William and Catherine not at the memorial for King Constantine, then they started talking about the royals who were actually there. It seemed obvious that apart from Princess Anne, Zara and Mike, Andy and Fergie and perhaps Beatrice, that they didn't know who anybody else was. They said more or less they didn't know who these 'old' people were (meaning Princess Alexandra. the Duke of Kent and the Gloucesters, perhaps the Michaels too, I can't quite remember). They actually said they didn't know who the Ogilivies were, though one said they believed that there was an Ogilvy who married Princess Marina! Now these 'reporters' weren't super-young, maybe in their 30s, 40s. And for them to have this job reporting on royal happenings, unbelievable. So all these decades that the Kents and Gloucesters have put in supporting the monarchy – and they are not known by their own countrymen! Unbelievable.

The Duke of Kent is very well known to most people, if only because he used to present the trophies at Wimbledon, and the Michaels are always in the news. I wouldn't take Talk TV too seriously - it's always embroiled in one scandal or another!

I'm interested to know how popular is Guillaume and Stephanie in Luxembourg?
I would think that since the births of Prince Charles and Prince Francois, Hereditary Grand Duke Guillaume and Hereditary Grand Duchess Stephanie of Luxembourg are popular.

In Spain I believe the most popular are King Felipe VI, Queen Letizia and Princess Leonor.

Back
Top Bottom