Queen Elizabeth II's Fashion and Style Part 1: November 2003 - March 2010

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, that shot from the Eisteddfod is lovely. Charming to see HM taking part in such old rituals.

Am I imagining it or, is the Queen styling another "White Wardrobe" with her evening/gala wear? I loved the all white evening wear with the Kolkoshnik, but the white with the Burmese Ruby was stuning,

It seems to me that since the death of her Mother QEII is trying whole new looks and styles, eg Family wedding wear, Queen Mother/Camilla hats and fascinators etc. Anyone else out there notice a change in style?

Yes, I agree that the Queen has changed her look since the Queen Mother's death. (I wonder if, in some way, she felt constrained by her mother's taste in her clothes.) But I also think that the death of Bobo McDonald and the arrival of Angela Kelly also freed the Queen to make different choices. I read somewhere that the Queen and Bobo wore almost identical hairstyles after the 1960s. Given that Bobo was some 20 years older than the Queen, I think that made the Queen look more matronly that she might have otherwise.

Same for her clothes. Look at the very matronly pink outfit with the pink bells on the pink hat that she wore for her Silver Jubilee. She still had a good figure in the 1970s but they started dressing her in tents. Too bad.

Last edited:
I, too, have noticed that the Queen is dressing much more stylishly than she was, say, 20 or 30 years ago. I'm loving most of her daytime outfits nowadays. :flowers:

Wow! Good work Kwanfan! Thank you very much... and I heard, that Elizabeth II never recycles her clothes :D

This is an often repeated falsity - HM almost always wears her outfits multiple times but she is careful to space out the events so that most people don't notice. Sometimes the wearings span up to 7 years. For instance, I have tracked an outfit from May 2003 to March 2008 with, so far, 10 wearings! An example of this one can be seen here

http://legacyeditorial.gettyimages....0|0|0|||9221120214479918071|0|0|0|0&p=7&tag=5

Another example is one worn 10 times since November 2002, until as recently as 1st March 2008:

http://legacyeditorial.gettyimages....0|0|0|||9221120214479918071|0|0|0|0&p=7&tag=5

So you see, don't believe everything you hear - if you really take notice you'll soon see that the Queen is very shrewd about her clothes
:flowers:

The hat worn by The Queen to attend the opening ceremony of "The Three Emperors: 1662-1795," at the Royal Academy of the Arts, November 9, 2005

HM's hat at the opening

The hat worn by HM to open the Field of Remembrance, Westminster Abbey, November 10, 2005

Her Majesty's hat

The hat worn by The Queen at the opening of the Field Of Remembrance was worn back in 1993 at the Funeral of His Majesty King Baudouin of the Belgians.

Source: Getty Images
November 6, 2004-Wedding of Edward Van Custam and Lady Tamara Grosvenor

July 6, 2004-Unveiling of the Diana Memorial Fountain

June 15, 2005-Royal Ascot

November 4, 2005-Visit to Kingston Grammar School

April 25, 2005-ANZAC Day Service

April 7, 2004-State visit to France

The Queen again wore this purple outfit during her day out in July 2007 in Ypres in Belgium to commemorate the 90th anniversary of the First World War battles.

Queen Elisabeth arrives in Slovenia, Oct 21 2008.
Pic
Pic
Pic
(Pics from Zimbio)
I find the coat and the hat really awful.:eek:
Ugly colour, ugly material and ugly fur details.

Pic
Pic
Pic
(Pics from Zimbio)
Ugly colour, ugly material and ugly the fur detais.

Try as I may, I can't seem to warm to this dress and hat. The colour suits HM, but I don't think the rest works.

Pic
Pic
Pic
(Pics from Zimbio)
Ugly colour, ugly material and ugly fur details.

Totally agreee - this is one of the worst outfits ever :eek: :eek:

I disagree, I love the toque hat and the fur details. It looks very Edwardian, perfect for a lady of the Queen's age and stature.

My first reaction to both the day and evening outfits was of horror. But after looking at the pictures again, both have grown on me. It must be quite chilly (or even cold) in Slovenia, hence the fur trim. (Of course, where I am I'm sitting in shorts as I write this...we don't think of coats and gloves until January!!)

I do like that she is going for an Edwardian/Queen Mary look. I think it's a nice tribute to her beloved Grandmother. Whether that was her intention or not, who knows, but I think she looks lovely. The blue of her day clothes was beautiful and just set off her lovely white hair. I liked the toque hat (very QM) and it was nice to see her in a different style. I'm betting that the jewel on her hat was real, maybe a relic that was dusted off from the vaults (wishful thinking??)

The only flaw in her evening dress is that the neckline should have been a tiny bit lower to show off the necklace more. Or the necklace should have been shortened. I'm not a fan of the ruby tiara, to me, it's very spiky. If I ever get the chance to see it in person one day, perhaps I'll change my opinion.

I will be interesting to see if she keeps up the Edwardian & fur theme tomorrow.

The bright turquoise is great; but I'm not going to comment on the rest of the outfit...

Credit crunch alright! They're even using old carpet to make her clothes now...:cool:

The turquoise outfit was a little of a mistake but the toque alone looks great and if she had chosen a turquoise vest matching the hat with a black skirt, that would have been less shocking, IMO.

As for today, I think it's pretty alright. Except beige is a tad too dull but it fits sobriety after the extravagant turquoise.

Goodness day 2 is just as bad as the arrival outfit - the hat is so dumpy - i dont mind the coat and the tweed fabric but on both days she has choosen two awful hats

in this weeks hello magazine it says that during these two visits she will repeat the pink outfit from easter 2008 (during the transfer between Slovenia to Slovakia) and the red outfit from maudy day 2008 (weather permitting on a walkabout in Ljubjana). It also says that the evening gown was made from a piece of silver-grey fabric woven with gold brocade given to her as a gift in the middle eat over 20 years ago. However they did predict that she woudl wear Queen's Mary's diamond tiara - they got that wrong

But i seriosly hope that the pink andred outfits make an appearance as they were striking and elegant and will be a massive improvemnt on the two she has so far chossen to wear

Could anyone identify the dress Her Majesty The Queen wore during the Festival of Remembrance on Saturday 8 November. She wears Queen Mary's Kensington Bow Brooch with poppies. But I have seen the dress, but don't know when or where.
On Remembrance Sunday, The Queen wore a new black coat and new black hat.

She is looking younger and more elegant, lately. I bet she´s got a new cream, not in the market yet. :)

13/11 60th Birthday Prince Charles

Galerías de imágenes

Look at HM at the age of 82, classy and chic combination, she is by far the best dressed lady of the evening from what I have seen so far, and that includes all the younger princesses as well. She is such a fabulous role model even in fashion, making others look like trying hard but not quite getting there because you can't buy class and style.

Galerías de imágenes

Look at HM at the age of 82, classy and chic combination, she is by far the best dressed lady of the evening from what I have seen so far, and that includes all the younger princesses as well. She is such a fabulous role model even in fashion, making others look like trying hard but not quite getting there because you can't buy class and style.
You stole my words, Duke!:flowers:
I totally agree, the Queen was the best dressed lady! Very elegant and classy!

Galerías de imágenes

from what i can tell the dress isnt new - it is one of her timeless banquet dinners. This lady knows how to dress for the evening occassions :)

She looks beautiful. The color really suits her, and this outfit looks so soft and feminine.

I just think HM looks amazing and am in awe of her style especially in the last 10 years. I read an acticle in Majesty and wrote to her and praised the gorgeous look and colours. The gown on this occasion does not disappoint I remain crazy about her.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom