Princess Laurentien's Fashion and Style Part 1: April 2004 - February 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sister Morphine said:
What in the world......? Wow...maybe she didn't check that outfit in the mirror first because she was afraid the loud pattern would crack it. Are you supposed to match the outfit to the sash? Ick.
to be honest... I like that outfit! :rolleyes:
The hat is great and the dress looks nice on her!!
The skirt looks very interesting!

Her_Majesty said:
to be honest... I like that outfit! :rolleyes:
The hat is great and the dress looks nice on her!!
The skirt looks very interesting!

I cannot stand that pattern/color. It makes her look dumpy, TBH. The hat's okay, but it would have been better if she had gone with a solid color or skipped the long duster coat in favor of something shorter. The long coat, the pants....just too much going on.

I think brown boots would've been better but I can see why she chose the green boots -- to tie in with the rest of her outfit in colour and material. The suede of the boots ties in nicely with the suede of her top. I do however enjoy her matching green necklace very much. It gets a bit lost in the top being the same colour, but I bet that necklace would look particuarly lovely with a black top.)

The oufit may not be something I would personally choose (though I don't think it's her worst outfit that I've ever seen either), but I do think Laurentien gets kudos for being fashionably daring. She is definitely not a Gap-cookie-cutter dresser, that's for sure. And isn't that the fun of following Laurentien? For me it is -- I always wait to see what she'll wear. Sometimes I love or like what she's wearing and sometimes I dislike what she's wearing, but that's the same of even my favourite royals like Mette-Marit and Sofia. Sometimes I love what they are wearing and sometimes I hate what they are wearing. Laurentien's outfits are just louder and bolder and as such inspire more colourful comments.

Henri M. said:
You make conclusions on base of a photograph.

The same photograph tells that the surrounding public was dressed in orange parafernalia. It was the Queen's birthday celebration and everyone was in a jolly and cheerful mood. The orange glasses were handed to Princess Laurentien by a youngster out of the audience.

copyright: seeger press

You see that the Princess also takes sweeties from a little girl. It speaks volumes for Princess Laurentien's wonderful interaction with the public, with or without a nice jacket or not.

Henri M. I think you are missing the point of this thread, it is about Laurentein's outfits, the one's we like and dislike and I happen to not like the orange sunglasses or the coat whether it be for the Queen's birthday or not. She could have picked something else more suitable to wear that day. AND am I in no way attacking Laurentein's character, I have no doubt that she is liked by the public. I merely said I did not like her choice in clothing.

And yes I do make conclusions based on photographs since that's all I have to go by, should I say her outfis are great just because she is a nice person?No. I have a feeling you like Laurentein an awful lot and it's hard for you to watch people say they don't like her outfits but after all this is a thread for that and maybe if she wore something that was pleasing to my eye I would say good things about her outfits. But as of now I don't see any. We are all here to voice our opinions but please don't single me out for voicing mine.

Last edited:
We all have favourite princes or princesses, and for some of us it's very difficult to see defaults on our favourite one. We may not like one's enthusiasm about his/her favourite prince(ss), but let us keep this thread peaceful, with no personal attacks or hard words, and respectful towards others' opinion, as it is currently.

Thank you.

Danielane, for the moderating team.

HRHAmy said:

"For starters, the dress she wore to CP Frederik's wedding. Good God almighty. You. Have. To. Wear. A. Bra. I don't know who told her she looked good like that, but whoever they are........they should be fired. Distasteful to say the least. I don't care if you're a princess, a queen or a schoolteacher....you wear a bra."

I totally agree! By far the worst! It's a royal wedding! The sin could only be made worse if it was a coronation or the opening of parliment or other grand occassion. She embarresed the whole royal family that day! If your "friends" sag that bad, you need a bra, especially if you outfit will cover up one!

Looking at the picture again of Laurentien at the Danish Royal wedding, it almost looks like the dress was suppose to be that way in the bust which is even worse. Why would you buy a gala dress that makes your breasts look like that? Or more importantly what designer would make a dress that makes your breasts look like that? The fabric is weird to me too. It looks like a puff pastry or a cacoon. I don't care for the cape on the back either.

What I find absolutely hilarious, is the fact, that her husband is the most conservative looking guy you could find.
Heck I would pair her with Laurence Llewelyn Bowen, but than again, they would probably fight over who gets to wear the purple velvet curtains.:lol:
DOes anybody remember the "wrap" she wore at Queensday? I believe she was still pregnant, but the wrap around her shoulders looked like the proud product of "sewing 101";)

Princess Laurentien's orange glasses

HRHAmy said:
... and I happen to not like the orange sunglasses or the coat whether it be for the Queen's birthday or not. She could have picked something else more suitable to wear that day.

But Princess Laurentien was not wearing orange glasses at all ! She was handed a pair of such by an enthusiast kid in the crowd and it spoke volumes for her goodnatured personality that she placed these plastic glasses on her head and kept it on for the rest of the program. The kid who gave the glasses must have glowed with pride.
:flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
As long as it is not inappropriate

RubyPrincess168 said:
"She embarresed the whole royal family that day!"

I doubt it. Princess Laurentien is, tja... Princess Laurentien, you know.

The Queen knows her as long as she is alive (Princess Laurentien's mother is a private friend of the Queen and was one of the her house-mates during her study at Leyden University. Princess Laurentien's father was until recently vice-premier minister). Princess Laurentien is the Queen's first daughter-in-law and they seem extremely close. From all what you hear and read it seems that Princess Laurentien is the spider in the web of the Queen's family. She seems more influential than Princess Máxima and Princess Mabel. The Queen is too fond of her to fall over some choices in her garderobe.

Princess Laurentien's style might be godawful so now and then, but as long as it is appropriate, the Queen is the last person to block someone's own choices, character, taste or personality.

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
I doubt it. Princess Laurentien is, tja... Princess Laurentien, you know.

The Queen knows her as long as she is alive (Princess Laurentien's mother is a private friend of the Queen and was one of the her house-mates during her study at Leyden University. Princess Laurentien's father was until recently vice-premier minister). Princess Laurentien is the Queen's first daughter-in-law and they seem extremely close. From all what you hear and read it seems that Princess Laurentien is the spider in the web of the Queen's family. She seems more influential than Princess Máxima and Princess Mabel. The Queen is too fond of her to fall over some choices in her garderobe.

Princess Laurentien's style might be godawful so now and then, but as long as it is appropriate, the Queen is the last person to block someone's own choices, character, taste or personality.

I agree Henri M. that the Queen is a much bigger person than to fault or be utterly embarassed by someone for their choice in attire. For some Laurentien's wardrobe may not be perfect or princess-worthy, but it would be far worst if Laurentien's behaviour in public were embarassing -- which it certainly is not. By all accounts, the few public engagements Laurentien does make on behalf of the royal house connected to literacy, Queensday, etc., Laurentien is very engaged and interacts well with adults and children alike. She doesn't do anything at these engagements or in her private life to embarass the Queen or the royal court and that is far more important. (Wouldn't it be worst to have someone who dressed according to our tastes but was a terribly embarassing princess? Who misspoke often or did embarassing things?)

Laurentien's wardrobe may not be one that any of us would choose to raid, but I think it speaks to her personality and as someone married to one of the Queen's younger sons and who lives in Belgium, she has the freedom to dress a little bit more "wildly" than Maxima might.

I think on the whole people are too hard on Laurentien. Her style isn't for everyone but she is a good person at heart and does right by her family, the Queen and the royal house.

Henri M. said:
But Princess Laurentien was not wearing orange glasses at all ! She was handed a pair of such by an enthusiast kid in the crowd and it spoke volumes for her goodnatured personality that she placed these plastic glasses on her head and kept it on for the rest of the program. The kid who gave the glasses must have glowed with pride.
:flowers:

She is not wearing the glasses on top of her head? I would call that wearing them, maybe you don't and that's okay. And if the kid glowed with pride then good for her! I just happen to not like the whole outfit.:)

This dress Laurentien is wearing is from Zara Basics, when I was shopping this morning I though it looked familair for me. Then I recognised it, as Laurentien was wearing it. It was 109,- euro. source ppe

Are you sure? If that's true, that definitely would be hilarious.
*Runs to the closest Zara shop to get herself a Laurentien dress* :lol:

Yess i'm really sure:flowers: :) . It was exactly the same... it was in the Zara in Arnhem..

You know, I can appreciate that she's adventerous with her closes and accessories. She does not seem overly cautious with any of that. She just wears what she likes and actually it's kind of refreshing. Everybody is not meant to be the same.

Laurentien keeps it fun and interesting and lively! Life is too short not to enjoy what one wears, right?

I don't think her dress is as bad as it may seem. It is her husband's dark suit arm that makes it look as if her bosom is of some questionable shape. As for her "Zara" dress. Some stores are experts in knock-offs. Unless you actually see the dress up close it may be a situation where Laurentien is wearing an "original" and Zara's had a copy.

I had never had a chance to really look at Laurentien's dresses. Some are pretty bad but I guess she likes to experiment, so you have to give her credit for taking a risk sometimes.

Lillia said:
You know, I can appreciate that she's adventerous with her closes and accessories. She does not seem overly cautious with any of that. She just wears what she likes and actually it's kind of refreshing. Everybody is not meant to be the same.

Laurentien keeps it fun and interesting and lively! Life is too short not to enjoy what one wears, right?
I agree. I don't love everything she wears but I admire her spirit in trying different things.Her style is offbeat and unique I enjoy seeing what she wears-she is never boring and you can't say that about many royals!:flowers:

I think it's wonderful that she is so daring, but I feel for her poor hubbie...he must be an extraordinarily understanding fellow!

It is unbelieveble to see how much HATE some people feel towards this princess. Some of her outfits are not my taste either but i've seen her in many beautiful outfits. It looks like some make it a sport to find the least outfits and even the nice outfits are critiziced even more than terrible outfits of other princesses who wear AT LEAST the same amount of questionable outfits. I've seen many princesses in terrible outfits and many in not very good outfits but they are not made fun of in this hatefull way.
I've read the Letzia versus Mary remarks of people but even that is without all this hate. Maybe some just don't like the woman for wathever reason and therefore it must be difficult to say a positif thing about her dresses, keep searching for something negatif.. maybe it is the wind that makes the dress looks less perfect, put that picture on the site and say it is horrific. I am seriously amazed. But ok, keep on telling us (and yourself) you are realy objective when you pour out the hateful comments so eventualy you will believe it yourself :-D

Last edited:
I don´t find other words, Laurentein´s Fashion and Style are horrible.

03-10-2007 Scheveningen Princess Laurentien attended the government congress for illiteracy (ppe)

I dont know if this is a nice look. All the layerin is in and the long sleeve under a shorter sleeve jacket but i think too much is going on. the pants, the coat is too long and sleeves are too short for the longer sleeves underneth
Picture

18-09-2007 Prinsjesdag

I loved the outfit. For once she at prinsjesdag she doesnt look like a mess. The color is lovely maybe a bit dark for daytime but im loving it. Nice hat too..
Full length shot (ppe)
Close up (ppe)

12-09-2007
I like this dress as well as the print. Like how she has matched it with a cropped sweater. Looks like a Marni dress.
PPE pictures
Full length shot
close up

at Princess Ariane baptism Saturday Oct 20, 2007

I like the dress & the coat, put together i dont like. I also think that hat is too much for the outfit, what was she trying to go for :ermm:

Picture 1
picture 2
(ppe)

Much as I love Laurentien and her family, I must say this outfit is not very elegant

I, too, think she is a wonderful woman. With that being said, I don't think she has a mirror.

The outfit today was colorful that is for sure! I am like you someone should tell her to check the mirror. This one was a little over the top. She can look so lovely at times, then she wears some things that just seem to be totally over the top.

At the christening she just had too much happening. I really want to like this Princess but her fashion choices are so questionable they are toecurlling..... it is embarassing this outfit as an example. It appears to me that she still sees herself at a younger age and thinks she can carry this off someone TELL HER SHE LOOKS STUPID is that an awful thing to say? I don't mean it to be as I think she is probably nice as one can get in that circle of women.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom