Princess Laurentien's Fashion and Style Part 1: April 2004 - February 2011

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Her Best

:) Okay these are my personal faves.

One of her better maternity outfits. Photo courtesy of DPA.

I think she looks FABULOUS. And unlike Maxima whose style I love...she can wear these type of shoes. You must have the ankles for it. Source: SeegerPress.

Only Laurentien could pull this off! Souce again Seegerpress.

I agree with all the worst outfits, these have been my favorite looks of her so far.

fotos from Getty images and Rex features

Alisa said:
I agree with all the worst outfits, these have been my favorite looks of her so far.

fotos from Getty images and Rex features

I like these gowns also. I like the last one especially, until you get to the shoes! I mean, what is she thinking? Wouldn't you wear WHITE shoes? Its like she ruins it and its so unnecessary!

When she gets it right, she usually gets it perfect. You have to give her that. Of course, it works the other way too!

RachelD said:
~Pictures form Corbis~
Her wedding dress...not bad!
0000379365-011.jpg
I don't think her dress was "not bad". Her dress was stunning!
in fact it must have been the best dress she wore so fast. :lol:
The veil and the whole dress looked really beautiful, imo.
Well, it seems she has more terrible dresses then nice ones, but sometimes she really wore beautiful gowns! (like the one she wore for MM's wedding!)

must say she is a right character with her clothes sense

Princess Laurentien and Princess Mabel do have more freedom than Princess Máxima, who -as Princess of Orange- is bound to a bit more conservatism.

I'm happy that the Princesses use their freedom to wear designs from young, avantgardistic and contemporary couture-designers, no matter how much they might clash with the Grace Kelly-image of a Princess topping a wedding cake.

Moreover Princess Laurentien and Princess Mabel are strong and independent women with outspoken characters, who are no 'fulltime royals' and earn their own income. It is their full freedom and right to wear what they feel attached to. For so far I have seen wonderful and also absolutely awful designs worn by them. But never it was scandalous or inappropriate, so the ladies do know a certain limit indeed.

wondering if what Maxima is saying when Laurentien is wearing such mistakes.. LOL. Cause she has got a totally different style.

Last edited by a moderator:
Carriage horse blanket???

Empress wrote: "This would have been nice if she hadn't worn the carriage horse blanket over the dress."

It is a most impressive bordeauxred silk stole with golden inside and decorated with embroidery! Undoubtedly the stole (embroidered by hand) was as expensive as the gown itself!

Click to see the picture in full:

The picture is stored on my own webspace. Copyright: NRK,

Last edited:
I agree with Empress, the dress itself was very nice but to put the stole over it was too much. I agree though that the stole by itself is very pretty but if she wore a simpler, red dress, one that was not too fancy she could have dressed it up with this stole. I feel it's two mis matched pieces put together, but individually they are very pretty. I just don't like it on the same outfit.:flowers:

Stole

HRHAmy said:
I agree with Empress, the dress itself was very nice but to put the stole over it was too much. I agree though that the stole by itself is very pretty but if she wore a simpler, red dress, one that was not too fancy she could have dressed it up with this stole. I feel it's two mis matched pieces put together, but individually they are very pretty. I just don't like it on the same outfit.:flowers:

We must not forget that Princess Laurentien wore a stole.

A stole is a shoulder scarf which is only to be worn to cover shoulders during some moments, for an example during the church service and during the walking to the awaiting limousine in the chilly Norwegian night.

She could have worn a fur coat, whatever. Instead she wore an empire style stole which matched extremely well with her empire style gown. The embroidery of the stole came back in her gown. Her elegant 19th C diamond diademe was the topping.

She was one of the most regal dressed royals of that night in Oslo.

The picture is stored on my own webspace. Copyright: NRK.

Last edited:
Maxima fan said:
I like the dress of Laurentien of the wedding of Claire&Laurent!! It's from Natan.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4232&d=1050315062

Seegerpress

I like this alot! Very well done!

Her_Majesty said:
I don't think her dress was "not bad". Her dress was stunning!
in fact it must have been the best dress she wore so fast. :lol:
The veil and the whole dress looked really beautiful, imo.
Well, it seems she has more terrible dresses then nice ones, but sometimes she really wore beautiful gowns! (like the one she wore for MM's wedding!)

When I said "...not bad!" I didn't mean that I didn't like it. I actually loved her wedding dress. I meant it as "Wow!"
And I do agree that she has her hits and misses, but hey, we all do now and then. I admire her for having the courage to choose such expressive outfits with those wonderful colors and wear them in public. MORE POWER TO HER!

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
Empress wrote: "This would have been nice if she hadn't worn the carriage horse blanket over the dress."

It is a most impressive bordeauxred silk stole with golden inside and decorated with embroidery! Undoubtedly the stole (embroidered by hand) was as expensive as the gown itself!

Click to see the picture in full:
http://members.chello.nl/~b.michon/Royal/aaa/images/laurentien.jpg

It's still ugly. And I don't like it with that dress.

Sister Morphine said:
It's still ugly. And I don't like it with that dress.

The best thing is that Princess Laurentien did apparently like it and was visibly glowing and happy in that empire robe. She has to buy it, pay it, wear it and I think she has made an awesome impression.

:flowers:

Prince Constantijn and Princess Laurentien of the Netherlands dancing in the marble ballroom of Noordeinde Palace in The Hague. Another gown with a stole:

The picture is stored on my own webspace. Copyright: Vorsten Royale

Last edited:
Henri M. said:
http://members.chello.nl/~b.michon/Royal/aaa/images/laurentien.jpg

We must not forget that Princess Laurentien wore a stole.

A stole is a shoulder scarf which is only to be worn to cover shoulders during some moments, for an example during the church service and during the walking to the awaiting limousine in the chilly Norwegian night.

She could have worn a fur coat, whatever. Instead she wore an empire style stole which matched extremely well with her empire style gown. The embroidery of the stole came back in her gown. Her elegant 19th C diamond diademe was the topping.

She was one of the most regal dressed royals of that night in Oslo.
Well I guess we agree to disagree because like I said, they are nice pieces but they don't go well together. And I'd actually perfer her in a fur coat better. The last pic you posted of the red halter dress was beautiful and there is a distinct difference between that red stole and the one she wore to the Norwegian wedding. The stole with the halter dress was smaller and thinner, the one in Norway was bigger and practically swallowed her so we couldn't see the beautiful dress underneath. Too big for my taste. If I were her and it was chilly that night I would have braved the weather for the short walk to the limo and she also has a little sheer jacket on top of her dress, underneath the stole that is covering. But that is just me and my opnion.

I like this last red halter dress much better. It looks good on her with her hair like that too.

You're talking about bad outfits here and you totally forget about this hideous pair of pants...

(seeger)

I actually think the pattern is nice, but not for a pair of pants. Next to that I really don't get the cut of the thing. It's so tight!

Laurentien also wore a jacket with this pattern which I like a whole lot better:

(seeger)

Henri M. said:
The best thing is that Princess Laurentien did apparently like it and was visibly glowing and happy in that empire robe. She has to buy it, pay it, wear it and I think she has made an awesome impression.

:flowers:

What does that have to do with anything? I could care less who bought it. It's ugly, it's too big and it detracts from the dress she's wearing.

I get the feeling you don't like people poking fun at her fashion sense....or lack thereof.

Last edited:
Maxie said:
You're talking about bad outfits here and you totally forget about this hideous pair of pants...

(seeger)

I actually think the pattern is nice, but not for a pair of pants. Next to that I really don't get the cut of the thing. It's so tight!

Laurentien also wore a jacket with this pattern which I like a whole lot better:

(seeger)

I like the jacket, but the pants just don't do it for me at all. That pattern is ugly. In a skirt, it might work, and a top would be best.....but not pants. They look like shiny leggings to me.

Maxie said:

(seeger)

(seeger)

I don't like either. And did anyone see those orange sunglasses?! Yuck. I find it hard to believe she has a stylist, but she should sure find one.

HRHAmy said:
I find it hard to believe she has a stylist, but she should sure find one.

The royal family has no stylists.

HRHAmy said:
And did anyone see those orange sunglasses?! Yuck. I find it hard to believe she has a stylist, but she should sure find one.

You make conclusions on base of a photograph.

The same photograph tells that the surrounding public was dressed in orange parafernalia. It was the Queen's birthday celebration and everyone was in a jolly and cheerful mood. The orange glasses were handed to Princess Laurentien by a youngster out of the audience.

copyright: seeger press

You see that the Princess also takes sweeties from a little girl. It speaks volumes for Princess Laurentien's wonderful interaction with the public, with or without a nice jacket or not.

This outfit would have looked much much better with different shoes...:ermm:
The boots :wacko: combined with the skirt are terribel.. sad.. because it could have been a great outfit...

copyright: hendrik ja van beek

She finally tries to look like elf from Lord of the rings. :lol: I don't like that color, but the biggest problem is material I think. :)

Her_Majesty said:
This outfit would have looked much much better with different shoes...:ermm:
The boots :wacko: combined with the skirt are terribel.. sad.. because it could have been a great outfit...

I agree with you. I like the colour very much and the skirt is beautiful too. I just don't get the boots. Apart from them she's looking very lovely. :flowers:

on how many Prinsjesdag has she taken part of and does anyone have photo of each dress she has worn?

Maxie said:
This year's prinsjesdag was the 6th one she attended.
Pics are coming from my blog and are originally from ppe (3,4, & 6) & smulders (1,2 & 5):

I liked the third outfit best. These are not all dresses, by the way. The 2nd and 4th one are with pants.

thank you so much.... so 6 times has she been out for any year?

is it possible that you have photos of the 2 other dresses in full if i dare to ask

Last edited:
Josefine said:
thank you so much.... so 6 times has she been out for any year?

is it possible that you have photos of the 2 other dressesin full if i dare to ask
Yes, she has attended prinsjesdag only 6 times. First time was in 2001, after she married prince Constantijn in May 2001. :flowers: I don't have pics of the whole dresses, unfortunately. I have been searching for them to put them on my blog and I didn't succeed. Maybe there are some photo agencies where you can find some pics with watermarks? I checked getty, but it's the same: only pics from the balcony...:ohmy:

Update: at the first two pages of this thread are some pictures of the dresses in full length from seegerpress...

Last edited:
Those boots are really, REALLY ridiculous. Like, "burn them in the backyard" ridiculous. She looks like a cross between Robin Hood and the Jolly Green Giant in those things.

Sister Morphine said:
What in the world......? Wow...maybe she didn't check that outfit in the mirror first because she was afraid the loud pattern would crack it. Are you supposed to match the outfit to the sash? Ick.

One of her most wonderful Prinsjesdag outfits. On TV you saw the superb quality and richness of the heavy (Italian? Radzimir?) woven silk with the ingenious shiny pattern. She made a very regal impression and the optical trick of a skirt (only noticeable when she steps in and out of the carriage or when the wind plays with it) was ingenious. I really liked it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom