Kensington Palace 1: Ending Sep 2022

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I dont believe that either the Duke of Duchess has had anything to say about the refurbishment of the public areas of Kensington Palace. The UK press have as usual muddled the line between private apartments and public areas.

But do agree about the mesh, shiny spider's web thing - horrible.

It would be great to see the difference in the new/proposed layouts because a large part of the previously private gardens has been given over to the public area.

Warren, thank you for posting that piece in its entirety.

KittyAtlanta, I think it's a stretch to blame Kate for a mesh satellite dish. I mean, seriously, satellite dishes are pretty standard in housing these days and, well, are there really any Brits who disdain the modern? No TV for them? Not even for ball games?

Attractiveness and utility are a trade-off, but both are in the eye of the beholder. Again, mind-boggling that one would think that such a decision were left to anyone but expert engineers, designers and architects.

The "satellite dish" that KittyAtlanta is referring to is not a satellite dish per se, but a modern art sculpture that has been installed in one of the interior rooms at KP. It greatly resembles a mesh satellite dish.

Since this refurbishment has been in progress for some time, and these projects are years in the making, I really doubt that Catherine had any influence in the direction or scope of the project, much less the selection of the artists or art objects utilized.

The 'modern' parts of the KP renovation are at attempt to appeal to a younger demographic who wouldn't otherwise be interested in visiting this kind of building. There are several 'traditional' royal palaces in the UK for people to visit, this is KP's attempt to differentiate itself. It's very different and perhaps not to traditionalists' tastes, but KP has to pay it's own way given that it receives no government subsidy. The only way it can do that is to get more paying customers through the door.

I'd say the chances of Kate having anything whatsoever to do with the renovation are precisely zero.

Good job on the restoration of the "traditional" areas. Not so keen on the "remodeling" with that very unattractive mesh satellite dish. Kate likes modern, so she probably approved that thing. Ugh. JMO.
William and Kate will be involved in the refurbishment of their new apartment which is only in the "rip out the asbestoes" stage and will not be ready to move into until mid 2013.

Their input into the layout, style and interior decoration of the public rooms of Kensinton Palace is nil! To be honest, I think there would be hell to pay if Kate tried to interfere in something under the control of the Historic Royal Palaces.

To be honest, I think there would be hell to pay if Kate tried to interfere in something under the control of the Historic Royal Palaces.

But wouldn't she then "use her education" for the sake of the RF and thus do something valuable instead (to quote some members) just go shopping and don't do anything else...:D

The renovation of KP was conceived and planned long before William and Catherine were engaged. They had no input.

Warren, thank you for posting that piece in its entirety.
Thanks PK, but that's my edited version of the original and longer MailOnline article.
I included what I found interesting and relevant and what I thought would be of interest to members. :)

But wouldn't she then "use her education" for the sake of the RF and thus do something valuable...
She studied Art History, not 'Old Royal Palace Rebuilding and Renovation'. :D

Last edited:
I didn't care for the new look for KP.

I found it quite disorienting! I continually had to backtrack to get form one section to another. Also, none of the many pictures were labeled correctly so it was difficult to know who the people were! (Some were recognizable, like Queen Victoria or Disraeli, but others were not).

The courtiers who were gossiping were dramatic, but really didn't work with large groups, because you had to be seated with your ear next to the microphone to distinguish the words! Not practical at all.

The broadsheets were fun, but will need to be replaced constantly.

On the whole I was quite disappointed, and liked it better before!

My son and daughter are heading to Europe mid May and by mid June they will be in London (he is now a geologist and is treating his sister to this trip). Kensington Palace is one of the attractions they will be seeing. After reading the above I'll be sure to ask them what they thought of the exhibitions there. However being that they are from Western Canada, where castles are somewhat ;) rare , I have a feeling they won't be too critical and I hope they will have a better understanding of the BRF afterwards (I'm positive their education wasn't as extensive as previous generations re the BRF).

Can one take photographs whilst in KP?

Photography is not permitted in Kensington Palace, unfortunately. I did not care at all for the "new look" - it has lost that gorgeous unique ambience it had previously. I did appreciate the quality of exhibits from the Royal Collection and the Museum of London, many of which I was familiar with. But I did find the visit disappointing, compared to what I experienced in previous years before the make-over.

ElisabethChristine said:
Photography is not permitted in Kensington Palace, unfortunately. I did not care at all for the "new look" - it has lost that gorgeous unique ambience it had previously. I did appreciate the quality of exhibits from the Royal Collection and the Museum of London, many of which I was familiar with. But I did find the visit disappointing, compared to what I experienced in previous years before the make-over.

Oh really .... I love the new look . Much more family friendly . The children and I had a wonderful few visits this summer and the outside area is so much more opened up . The lovely grassy banks to sit on and the walkways with flowers above . And the outside area for the new coffee shop is really good idea . I loved the exhibitions too . As its on my doorstep I will be in their all the time .

Diana, and the baby buried in her garden | Mail Online

Does anyone know if the body of Rosa Monckton's child has been removed from KP? I know they probably won't/didn't publicly announce it.

KP was not privately owned by Diana or her family. It is a crown property & a private person should not be buried there. Diana crossed the line.

IMO, the body should never have been allowed to be buried there. The body should be exhumed and returned to the parents.

It will be interesting to see what happens at KP once the apartments of the Michaels and Gloucesters become available, along with Wren House. Prince Harry may find himself as the resident in the palace in the future!

It will be interesting to see what happens at KP once the apartments of the Michaels and Gloucesters become available, along with Wren House. Prince Harry may find himself as the resident in the palace in the future!

Other royals can move in, as long as they pay rent - so Beatrice and Eugenie; the Wessexes - if they want a larger London base than previously mentioned; homes for senior officials as now. Peerhaps even Camilla if she outlives Charles and wants a smaller London base. Lots of choices.

Other royals can move in, as long as they pay rent - so Beatrice and Eugenie; the Wessexes - if they want a larger London base than previously mentioned; homes for senior officials as now. Peerhaps even Camilla if she outlives Charles and wants a smaller London base. Lots of choices.

Yes, Cepe, all in the fullness of time. And while Charles may have a vague vision about a long range goal for who is where, life events do not unfold on one's predetermined schedule. Ditto, public opinion and finances, which will also play a role in decision-making.

If they pay market rent, then I don't think there would be an issue. Charles may help out older members of the family as the Queen does, but I dont believe younger one's will get help. Most people appreciate that they need a secure environment so long as they (the public) don't have to pay for it.

Kensington Gardens was once the private gardens of Kensington Palace. Queen Caroline, the wife of King George II, was an enthusiast for gardens. She commissioned the Serpentine and Long Water, a large lake at the eastern end of the Gardens created from a string of ponds.:rose2::rose:

Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany gave a statue of King William III of England to his uncle, Edward VII.
The statue of William III was placed outside the south front of Kensington Palace.

On July 31st, 2004, Lady Davina Windsor, daughter of Prince Richard, Duke of Gloucester, married Gary Lewis at the chapel of Kensington Palace.
Kensington Palace was Lady Davina's childhood home.
What a wonderful setting for the bride! :princess3:

John Vanbrugh worked for King George I on Kensington Palace, where three state rooms and a series of courtyards were added.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is likely to happen to the apartments currently occupied by Queen's cousins when they become vacant?

Well i guess in time Anne, Edward and Andrew may need somewhere new to live and work from. I can't see them staying at Buckingham Palace once Charles is King as
1) if he and Camilla move in I doubt they'd want his brothers and sister hanging around all that much
2) Charles and Camilla may stay put at Clarence House and leave Buckingham Palace empty - if they do this I suspect they would rather the rest of the RF left so it could be opened up much more (the fact that other members of the RF have apartments there was used as a reason why it couldn't be opened more to the public at the recent Public Accounts committee.

My own guess would be that in time KP will become the "Aunt (and Uncle) heap" again.

Last edited:
Harry will get a large apartment when one becomes vacant.

What is likely to happen to the apartments currently occupied by Queen's cousins when they become vacant?

They will be renovated (that asbestos issue will not go away) and re-assigned to family based on needs, contributions and ability to pay for housing. If the family does not occupy, they could become apartments for top aids.or used as office space.

KP vacant apartments are now rented out to the public. (Thorough background checks.)

I am sure as more become vacant, they will rent them out.

W&K were originally offered a place at BP, then CH. I think the RF wanted to open KP to the public to generate revenue. (W&K didn't go along with plan.)

I don't see Princess Anne moving from St. James' Palace to KP.

Edward & Andrew will stay at BP.
BP is suppose to have 52 guest/royal bedrooms & 188 staff bedroom. There is plenty of room for Edward & Andrew without getting in anyone's way.

Another side of the question is: would they want to stay in the home of their brother? Living in the same home as their parents is one thing but a brother and even a nephew - hmmm.

KP vacant apartments are now rented out to the public. (Thorough background checks.)

I am sure as more become vacant, they will rent them out.

W&K were originally offered a place at BP, then CH. I think the RF wanted to open KP to the public to generate revenue. (W&K didn't go along with plan.)

I don't see Princess Anne moving from St. James' Palace to KP.

Edward & Andrew will stay at BP.
BP is suppose to have 52 guest/royal bedrooms & 188 staff bedroom. There is plenty of room for Edward & Andrew without getting in anyone's way.

The public areas of KP are open to the public already. They are run by the Historical Palaces people who also run the Tower of London and Hampton Court. They were occupying apt 1a as office space before being given other spaces to make room for William and Kate.

Please stop calling the duchess "Kate". Her name is Catherine. Prince william even calls her Catherine. Just saying.

Back
Top Bottom