Buckingham Palace 2: Sep. 2022 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marengo

Administrator
Site Team
City
São Paulo
Country
Brazil
320px-Buckingham_Palace_aerial_view_2016_%28cropped%29.jpg

Buckingham Palace
Image free to use

Welcome to the Buckingham Palace Thread, Part 2

Commencing September 1st, 2022

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

Last edited:
The start of the clip shows barriers on the quadrangle side of the East Front.

To see the interior of Buckingham Palace

Thank you for posting!

There are a few errors. The rooms identified as the Belgium Suite are not from Buckingham Palace. In fact I’m 99% certain they’re not from any house in Britain. At least not any royal residence. I don’t know where the red room at the very end is from either.

And none of the bedrooms/bathrooms are images from BP. In fact one of the bathrooms is from Holkham Hall I think.

That said there are some great images of the state rooms! So thank you again.:flowers:

Last edited:
:previous: Durham, You are correct there are errors. Although there are errors, just to see these interiors is spectacular.

The Royal Trust takes a tour through the Green Drawing Room into the adjoining Throne Room at Buckingham Palace.

Very pretty! Won't be sorry to see the back of this cold blast though! Nice at Christmas then go away for another year hopefully.;)

Christmas Card perfect!

These private rooms are very good examples of early C19th English taste. Although since they all face north I imagine that they can be rather dark & gloomy.

If BP is opened up more for visitors then these private apartments, & the rooms on the first floor of the principal front, could be accessible. The second floor of the principal front could provide more than enough room for alternative private accommodation for the monarch.

Last edited:
These private rooms are very good examples of early C19th English taste. Although since they all face north I imagine that they can be rather dark & gloomy.

If BP is opened up more for visitors then these private apartments, & the rooms on the first floor of the principal front, could be accessible. The second floor of the principal front could provide more than enough room for alternative private accommodation for the monarch.

There was a very interesting exhibition back in the summer of 2019 Queen Victoria’s Palace!

https://www.rct.uk/collection/themes/exhibitions/queen-victorias-palace/buckingham-palace

Last edited:
I recommend you watch this video review of the tour of Buckingham Palace:

It's absolutely devastating and also hilarious.

Made by a historian with quite a following on YouTube it's very unusual for him to give such a negative review.

For those of you who have been on the tour, is it really that bad?!?
And if so, are the guides and staff on duty composed of former TSA employees who were considered too rude for work in the US air ports?
Or did our esteemed reviewer merely have a bad day?

Made by a historian with quite a following on YouTube it's very unusual for him to give such a negative review.

And if so, are the guides and staff on duty composed of former TSA employees who were considered too rude for work in the US air ports?
Well, I just did the tour two weeks ago and he is partly right in what he says.
First, I did not see any staff being rude or snapping at people. I even found them a bit inattentive, as there were many younger people who took pictures with their mobiles.
I could understand if taking pictures with a flashlight was forbidden, but not why it's generally not allowed. Many museums do allow by now and I always found it sad that it is not allowed in palaces or the likes. IMO there could be found a compromise between taking endless selfies with selfiesticks and a short snap of something you particularly are interested in.
I also saw that folks had to carry their backpacks in their hands, rather inconvenient, especially as it is not that narrow that you are in danger of knocking something off its pilar. Also, true, there are no lockers, although the lady from the souvenirshop told me they had. I was there beforehand and was a bit afraid I would have to leave my small bag behind as the guidelines are rather strict. Luckily no such thing occured and even the airport like security check went all well. You have to undergo a similar check at Windsor btw.
When I arrived, the staff member indeed told us about the toilet situation twice and I think the man who did the video was right: for elder people and people with families (although I dont know what brings people with small children in such a place, but thats another topic) this might end in a risky situation.
The garden café indeed was jammed and it was hard to find a place to sit down. You're literally forced to buy anything you can eat out of your hand, especially when you are alone and don't have someone securing places while you queue.

I hope my little observation did help.

I loved it, but that was a long time ago Muhler.

We held back and soaked it all in at our own pace, with following groups overtaking us. Maybe that is not possible these days.

Yes, no photos, but the same as the Castle of Mey and many places in the UK at least. Most places in Europe and Asia are relaxed about photos as long as you’re not using a selfie stick.

Had a tea there, it was down the back of the lawn then, nothing special about that, but a bit of a queue for it which is to be expected. We weren’t in a rush to go anywhere else and didn’t have to dodge any wind or rain, so no problem, you are after all standing in the garden of Buckingham Palace, just experience it.

The poor staff could have well been frazzled. I think there are people going everywhere in great numbers after the Covid years, trying to “catch-up”.

When we did the Castle of Mey, the guide was someone who had worked there for the Queen Mother. So many wonderful anecdotes, so obviously enjoying sharing his memories with us visitors.

Getting to seeing any historic and/or beautiful place is a privilege really, how many generations of ordinary people have had that chance … not many.

I’d say, don’t expect a perfect experience anywhere you’re a tourist, pay attention to the details, think that you may never be here again, be gracious, and make yourself some wonderful memories.

:flowers::flowers: Both of you.

So perhaps not that bad after all?
I'm surprised at how many they let in at a time. It means that half of them can't hear what's being said and the other half can't see.

I positively hate being herded along when on sightseeing, so I avoid it when possible. So for that reason I think I would give Buckingham Palace a miss should I go to London.
But I understood the parks were open to the public.

In many US museums I have visit, you can photograph pieces in their permanent collection, but pieces on loan cannot be photographed. Everything there is from their permanent collection.

A funny sort of protest - getting a picture of them wearing tshirts inside a palace they all had to pay entry to get into - funding the Royal Collection. Such rebels!

It makes you wonder how long the're going to keep up this level of publicity seeking activity. Like anyone takes much notice.;)

I see them as good old fashioned harmless British eccentrics. So long as they don't spoil community enjoyment in a social visit by The King. That's just bad manners.

Is there any Information about how far the renovation the Palace is. When it started we got some Informations for example whe the East Wing was emptied but nothing for some time now

This is a lovely historic view of the Waterloo Chamber at Windsor Castle. Look & Learn have some fascinating images. I wonder why someone at Look & Learn mistook it for BP?

I think that the group on the right might contain Queen Victoria? There is what looks like a man kneeling before The Queen (?). I wonder who he was?

The present decoration on the upper walls (shown here as bare) came later at the suggestion of Prince Albert. Wyatville had left the walls rather plain.

Thank you for posting.:flowers:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom