The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2021, 12:04 AM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
At first I thought the royal family had to say something but now I think it's best if they don't. I think it far better if they just somehow come out and show themselves as caring and loving towards one another and content in their position.
TRF always play the long game. With everything going on in the world, I doubt this will be news in a week’s time.

IMO, H&M want them to respond because they get to stay atop the news cycle that way. Because, let’s face it- how many times are they going to be able to give this kind of interview and still keep public interest?

Fame is fleeting, you’re a high profile working member of the BRF for a lot longer...

Old 03-08-2021, 12:04 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
I can't help but thinking that they thought if they couldn't have the title they wanted ie Prince they'd just give him no title. As if somehow that would show everyone.

It just feels like everything else they've done.

I was trying to say that, but you articulated it so much better.

Old 03-08-2021, 12:05 AM
Nobility

This interview was a load of hooey. These two seem like delusional narcissists to me. In my own opinion she comes off as a liar and a phoney. And he as a spoiled man child who didn't get his way.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:06 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
So go forward as if nothing at all has happened? Put a face on it and pretend? There clearly are and have always been unpleasant things that go on behind the scenes in the royal family.

Certainly, M&H did not attack any staff or family as someone in the firm appeared to expect. They were generous in their comments about family members and they did not speak badly of staff in any personal way. M&H were reticent in some respects, but they spoke about the truths of their experience, and that's all any of us can do. Are M&H perfect? No. Is anyone else in the royal firm perfect? No.
I think the difference between us is you tend to believe 95% of what H&M say and I tend to think 85% of what they say is highly shaded by how they want the public to see them. So yes, I think the royal family shouldn't comment on it in public.

I don't want or need another war of the Wales. I personally think Harry has irrevocably cut himself off from his family who I do not see as trapped or heartless monsters. If you do then that's your prerogative.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:07 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
This interview was a load of hooey. These two seem like delusional narcissists to me. In my own opinion she comes off as a liar and a phoney. And he as a spoiled man child who didn't get his way.
Agree and I’ll add, jealous and spiteful
Old 03-08-2021, 12:07 AM
Courtier

Here's the thing about the "title" - first off, it's not a TITLE, it's a STYLE. He wasn't going to get the HRH style because he wasn't a male-line grandchild of the monarch.

The only reason that HM issued the 2012 LP to give the HRH style to all of William's kids was because of the Act of Succession legislation that was wending its way through the Commonwealth realms to implement absolute primogeniture. The Queen wanted to ensure that the heir to the crown, whether it was a boy or a girl, was styled as HRH from birth and the 1917 LP didn't do that - it was the eldest son of the eldest son of the POW that got HRH and the rest of the eldest son of the POW's kids were styled like other male-line great-grandchildren of the monarch.

If Harry & Meghan were so concerned with Archie having a style, as others have pointed out, they could have styled him Archie, Earl of Dumbarton or Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.

What they have made clear, in this interview, is that they only care about the HRH style.

And I really don't get their problems with the security for Archie. Just when was he going to need his own security detail? He would have whatever security his parents had whenever he was with them. And if there was a time when they weren't with him, presumably he would be at Frogmore Cottage and have the standard security detail that the house has. Until he started preschool, what need would he have for any separate security from his parents? Preschool was a few years off for him, at that time, the Metropolitan Police might have reassessed the threat risk and determined he needed an RPO while he was at school, or not. But, really... When would their kid need his own security detail for the first few years of his life?
Old 03-08-2021, 12:08 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
So much of what they've done feels like the actions of petulant toddlers rather than two adults approaching 40. It reminds me of a time where I wanted a whole cake but my mother said I could only have a slice... it wasn't what I wanted so I refused to eat any cake at all.
This is it EXACTLY! But I think this is how they've approached the whole situation.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:09 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missjersey View Post
Agree and I’ll add, jealous and spiteful
Yes, that too. For both of them actually.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:10 AM
Aristocracy

Meghan is goading the RF into retaliating. I hope they don't fall for the bait so that she can continue playing the victim. How this so-called beautiful and happening actress was jailed in a tower, a la Rapunzel. N now the evil "them" are jealous of all the love she receives, hence the nasty attacks continue.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:11 AM
Nobility

Please someone PM a transcript of their interview when an outlet publishes it, thank you.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:12 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tihkon2 View Post
Yes, that too. For both of them actually.
Long before Meghan came around, I thought he was jealous..,
Old 03-08-2021, 12:12 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
So much of what they've done feels like the actions of petulant toddlers rather than two adults approaching 40. It reminds me of a time where I wanted a whole cake but my mother said I could only have a slice... it wasn't what I wanted so I refused to eat any cake at all.

It really does. It’s pathetic.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:13 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
Here's the thing about the "title" - first off, it's not a TITLE, it's a STYLE. He wasn't going to get the HRH style because he wasn't a male-line grandchild of the monarch.

The only reason that HM issued the 2012 LP to give the HRH style to all of William's kids was because of the Act of Succession legislation that was wending its way through the Commonwealth realms to implement absolute primogeniture. The Queen wanted to ensure that the heir to the crown, whether it was a boy or a girl, was styled as HRH from birth and the 1917 LP didn't do that - it was the eldest son of the eldest son of the POW that got HRH and the rest of the eldest son of the POW's kids were styled like other male-line great-grandchildren of the monarch.

If Harry & Meghan were so concerned with Archie having a style, as others have pointed out, they could have styled him Archie, Earl of Dumbarton or Lord Archie Mountbatten-Windsor.

What they have made clear, in this interview, is that they only care about the HRH style.

And I really don't get their problems with the security for Archie. Just when was he going to need his own security detail? He would have whatever security his parents had whenever he was with them. And if there was a time when they weren't with him, presumably he would be at Frogmore Cottage and have the standard security detail that the house has. Until he started preschool, what need would he have for any separate security from his parents? Preschool was a few years off for him, at that time, the Metropolitan Police might have reassessed the threat risk and determined he needed an RPO while he was at school, or not. But, really... When would their kid need his own security detail for the first few years of his life?
Put like that it all seems even more entitled.
Administrator

The Queen and the Royal Family won't have to do anything because the British press is going to dissect this interview like a frog in a science class experience. Examine every question, every answer, every line.

The only people think this interview went well are some of my fellow Americans who don't know how the BRF works. I don't think this will have the same reaction tomorrow night in the Commonwealth.

Serene Highness

On Meghan referring to Sarah Ferguson as "Fergie", maybe that was another thing she did not research about Harry's relations and thought they were talking about the singer, the former member of the Black Eyed Peas...

Unlike some members here, I don't think they'll divorce. She needs to be seen as supported by him, the source of her fame and fortune (because no matter what is said she was nowhere near Oprah-level of fame before her marriage), and he has no idea what to do without somebody ordering him about, whether it's The Firm, the military, or his wife. Their marriage will stand the test of time, the way the Duke and Duchess of Windsor did, and Woody and Soon-Yi Allen has.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:14 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by duchesschicana View Post
Please someone PM a transcript of their interview when an outlet publishes it, thank you.
The BBC did a live reporting on the Oprah's interview which summarise what was said in the interview with some analysis by Jonny Dymond, the BBC royal correspondent
https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-56271580

It's not exactly a word-to-word transcript, but it's a great summary if you are very keen on the content of the interview without watching the whole 2 hour program.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:16 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Meghan is goading the RF into retaliating. I hope they don't fall for the bait so that she can continue playing the victim. How this so-called beautiful and happening actress was jailed in a tower, a la Rapunzel. N now the evil "them" are jealous of all the love she receives, hence the nasty attacks continue.
So true. I hope the RF just ignores them. What else do they offer now but The Victim Tour.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:16 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sionevar View Post
Totally! Edward and Sophie's son is known as James, Viscount Severn. I've never even seen him referred to as James Mountbatten-Windsor. H&M could easily have done the same thing with Archie.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunnystar View Post
An eldest son who uses a courtesy peerage title is styled by his title alone, without using his name, so James is known as "Viscount Severn".

https://www.royal.uk/succession

Likewise, Archie would have been known simply as "the Earl of Dumbarton" if he had used the customary courtesy title.

The 1917 and 2012 Letters Patent may be read here:

https://www.heraldica.org/topics/bri...hness_docs.htm
Old 03-08-2021, 12:17 AM
Majesty

I don’t believe that either Harry or Meghan insisted on Archie being made a Prince at the time of his birth. There may have been suggestions however that Charles wouldn’t use LPs at the beginning of his reign for Archie.

As far as Archie being called the Earl of Dumbarton as an alternative however, I can remember back to Twitter comments being made about that subsidiary title when Harry was giving the Dukedom in May 2018.

The joking and laughter on Twitter and other forums at the time about the name Dumbarton (which is a perfectly respectable town in Scotland) was overwhelming. Making remarks emphasising the ‘DUMB-‘ in the name, jokes about ‘You couldn’t make this up!’ Hilarity all round.

Harry has mixed with commoners more than most royals due to his army career. When his baby son was born he may well have thought ‘I’m not going to subject Archie to this sort of thing. No way!’ and so made the decision to put the earldom aside for now.
Old 03-08-2021, 12:18 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by moby View Post
Unlike some members here, I don't think they'll divorce. She needs to be seen as supported by him, the source of her fame and fortune (because no matter what is said she was nowhere near Oprah-level of fame before her marriage), and he has no idea what to do without somebody ordering him about, whether it's The Firm, the military, or his wife. Their marriage will stand the test of time, the way the Duke and Duchess of Windsor did, and Woody and Soon-Yi Allen has.
I agree, I think they're in for the long haul no matter what. After all this they'll have to stick it out.

Closed Thread