The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2021, 05:31 PM
Heir Presumptive

Please don’t take E-online seriously ...it’s a gossipy, celebrity-oriented rag. Their notion that HM is trying to slap back at H and M’s interview is just asinine.

Old 02-24-2021, 05:35 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
The Queen does not try to overshadow other people's interviews. No-one overshadows her: she's the Queen. She does not get involved in tit-for-tat spats like a schoolkid squabbling in the playground.

Commonwealth Day takes place every year. It (originally Empire Day) dates back to 1902. It really hasn't been invented just because Harry and Meghan are going to be on a TV talk show.

I gather that Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Sophie, and maybe some of the other senior Royals as well, will also be involved.
Without going off topic, you are right that Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Sophie will take part of the pre-recorded Commonwealth Service programon BBC One.

Quote:
TRH The Prince of Wales and The Duchess of Cornwall, TRH The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and HRH The Countess of Wessex will also take part in the programme, sharing their perspectives on the importance of our Commonwealth links.
https://www.westminster-abbey.org/ab...mmonwealth-day

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Who is suggesting this?
As for stories that the Royal family try to overshadow the Sussexes' Oprah interview for moving a day forward (from 8th to 7th March), it's very ludicrous. It did not help that some staunch Sussex supporters ("Sugars") tried to spread rumours and conspiracy theories. It's almost as if they don't know about the service or even the Commonwealth. Lainey Lui from Lainey Gossip also perpetuated this "coincident/conspiracy" by throwing the Royal Family under bus in order to make Harry & Meghan look good. What's even worse is that Lainey kept bringing Meghan's race into it and how the "pale, male and stale" royal family did not support her, as well as the Royal Family not being representative of the Commonwealth.

https://www.laineygossip.com/british...nterview/68097

I am an ethnic minority in Australia and I find it very nauseating that Lainey Lui is dragging race and identity politics into every arguments just to appear virtuous. It's not Meghan's race that lead the Sussexes lose their royal patronages, it's because they are no longer full-time working royals, representing The Queen and doing public services in The United Kingdom.

Perhaps the news that the BBC not to broadcast Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah could be the factor of the "overshadowing" stories (i.e. The Beeb does not want both of these programs on the same day)

Old 02-24-2021, 06:20 PM
Courtier

I would agree with those who say American's don't know much about the commonwealth. Meghan's fan base who these articles are aimed at don't seem to know much about the UK or the royal family at all.
Old 02-24-2021, 07:20 PM
Majesty

It's not just Sussex fans who don't know much about the BRF or the Commonwealth. There are a great many Britons who don't know or care about their royals or the Commonwealth either. And as a Commonwealth citizen of Australia I would bet that if you asked the average Aussie on the street about the Commonwealth you might get something about us competing in the Commonwealth Games and that would be about it!

I refuse to link it, but one of the U.K. tabloids, The Sun, is reporting that ITV have gained the rights to the Oprah interview and intend to broadcast it in prime time. I believe the Commonwealth Day broadcast will air during the afternoon.
Old 02-24-2021, 08:17 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Without going off topic, you are right that Charles, Camilla, William, Kate and Sophie will take part of the pre-recorded Commonwealth Service programon BBC One.

https://www.westminster-abbey.org/ab...mmonwealth-day

As for stories that the Royal family try to overshadow the Sussexes' Oprah interview for moving a day forward (from 8th to 7th March), it's very ludicrous. It did not help that some staunch Sussex supporters ("Sugars") tried to spread rumours and conspiracy theories. It's almost as if they don't know about the service or even the Commonwealth. Lainey Lui from Lainey Gossip also perpetuated this "coincident/conspiracy" by throwing the Royal Family under bus in order to make Harry & Meghan look good. What's even worse is that Lainey kept bringing Meghan's race into it and how the "pale, male and stale" royal family did not support her, as well as the Royal Family not being representative of the Commonwealth.

https://www.laineygossip.com/british...nterview/68097

I am an ethnic minority in Australia and I find it very nauseating that Lainey Lui is dragging race and identity politics into every arguments just to appear virtuous. It's not Meghan's race that lead the Sussexes lose their royal patronages, it's because they are no longer full-time working royals, representing The Queen and doing public services in The United Kingdom.

Perhaps the news that the BBC not to broadcast Harry and Meghan's interview with Oprah could be the factor of the "overshadowing" stories (i.e. The Beeb does not want both of these programs on the same day)
That's not surprising considering she is/was a friend of Meghan, they were even pictured together once in the past.
Old 02-24-2021, 09:46 PM
Imperial Majesty

Location: On the west side of North up from Back, United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by AC21091968 View Post
Logic tells me that the BBC most likely doesn't want to air this interview due to the fact that it's airing on CBS at 8pm EST in the US which would make it 1am in the UK.

That brings up a question. Should a UK media pick it up, would they air it the next day or at 1am ?
Old 02-24-2021, 10:05 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osipi View Post
Logic tells me that the BBC most likely doesn't want to air this interview due to the fact that it's airing on CBS at 8pm EST in the US which would make it 1am in the UK.

That brings up a question. Should a UK media pick it up, would they air it the next day or at 1am ?
There is a rumour that ITV or Sky will pick it up, neither of them are state funded like the BBC.

I then read an article on Honey Nine Australia where Holly Willoughby (host of ITV This Morning) was contacted by Oprah Winfrey's team. Apparently, Oraph's team were asking for footages from This Morning (morning TV program on ITV) on the interview Samantha Markle. However, Holly Willoughby does not know if CBS will use the old interview footage nor will ITV broadcast Oprah Winfrey's show.

More details about Meghan and Harry's Oprah interview
https://honey.nine.com.au/royals/meg...1-f827071c971b
Old 02-25-2021, 01:32 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
That's not surprising considering she is/was a friend of Meghan, they were even pictured together once in the past.
They are not friends nor does Meghan even know her. She admitted that herself. They interacted once due to her working at the same company as her friend’s husband, and that picture was Meghan attending a dinner where they were both the plus ones.

She said that people assumed more and she just didn’t go out her way to deny it because I was a business opportunity.

And I’m sure that’s the case for many...
Old 02-25-2021, 06:03 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyDrx View Post
Lainey Liu is a gossip columnist. I personally would not place too much importance on anything Lainey has to say about the Oprah interview or about the British royal family.

In the interest of accuracy, please note that Lainey Liu was only ever a random person who briefly came into contact with Meghan once. Lainey was never a friend of Meghan's, and certainly never a Meghan-insider. Lainey and Meghan may have previously been pictured together at an event or a gathering in Toronto. This is possible because Lainey used to be a work colleague of Ben Mulroney (husband of one of Meghan's close friends).

ETA:
I posted the above prior to seeing ACO's similar post, with the same correction.
Old 02-25-2021, 08:03 PM
Courtier

Hopefully this is not true

https://www.thedailybeast.com/oprah-...e-been-through
Old 02-25-2021, 08:20 PM
Majesty

Daily Beast journalists know no more of what the Oprah interview is likely to contain than any other outside source, including 'E'. Of course people close to the Oprah/CBS team are going to hint about the interview being explosive. They want a big audience to watch it. What is written here just seems like a rehash of rumours we've read before.
Old 02-25-2021, 10:37 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiaMia_53 View Post
Lainey Liu is a gossip columnist. I personally would not place too much importance on anything Lainey has to say about the Oprah interview or about the British royal family.

In the interest of accuracy, please note that Lainey Liu was only ever a random person who briefly came into contact with Meghan once. Lainey was never a friend of Meghan's, and certainly never a Meghan-insider. Lainey and Meghan may have previously been pictured together at an event or a gathering in Toronto. This is possible because Lainey used to be a work colleague of Ben Mulroney (husband of one of Meghan's close friends).

ETA:
I posted the above prior to seeing ACO's similar post, with the same correction.
She is however pretty close to Omid, no matter how much they now try to hide that. She was also the one who published the shopping trip blind item
Old 02-28-2021, 11:17 AM
Heir Apparent

Well we are now a week out from the interview. I assume that we will be getting teasers very soon. Maybe as soon as Wednesday.
Old 02-28-2021, 08:13 PM
Heir Apparent

A few previews for next week

https://youtu.be/MhbRw04ZBx8

https://youtu.be/y7LJrh5UTr4
Old 02-28-2021, 08:27 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
Thank you ACO for the links to the sneak peak and preview!

Speaking of the devil, I was just watching Oprah's interview with Sarah, Duchess of York (filmed on 1996) yesterday on Youtube and just about to comment about Oprah's style of interview.

I quite like the outdoor setting in the garden, which kind of made things more relaxing and less contrived compared to indoor with a studio audience. Yes, I understand that it's probably due to COVID that it was filmed outside. In these two short clips, only Harry and Oprah are shown to be speaking. In the second clip, the camera cuts away once Oprah finished asking the questions, so the viewers don't get to hear/see Meghan's response. Judging from the second clip, like what Oprah had said, no questions will be off-limits and the interview could be hard-hitting or "trying to get towards the bottom of things". I don't think Oprah would be grilling like Jeremy Paxman or Andrew Neil, but she will definitely want a clear answer not "dancing around the tune".

It's interesting that the issue of Meghan feeling silent or being silence is brought up in the second video, which was previously being tipped in some rumours
Old 02-28-2021, 08:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Thank you for the links ACO. Lovely setting for the outdoor interview and that shade of purple mauve is very pretty on Oprah.

Honestly I am a little surprised by Meghan's choice of eye makeup and clothing color. IMHO it's a little too close to Diana's heavier black eyeliner and her clothing color. Typically I've noticed that Meghan doesn't go for very heavy eyeliner.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:16 PM
Heir Presumptive

Meghan looks great, pregnancy obviously agrees with her! I think that the dress is pretty and very flattering on her figure but the black combined with the heavy eye makeup does look odd when set against the beautiful outdoor backdrop.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:32 PM
Majesty

To be fair though, Meghan has often worn dark clothing. I can remember begging on the Meghan fashion threads for 'More Colour Please' during her Royal engagements and when on tour. There was a lot of monochrome. So I wouldn't put too much emphasis on the colour chosen this time.

Meghan also seems to have been experimenting with her makeup a bit lately as well. She's been wearing very pale lipstick, for example.
Old 02-28-2021, 09:32 PM

I haven't watched too much Oprah in my life but to me this is what she’s known for...creating a moment with teary eyes, asking questions that cause the subject to pause and reflect before responding, asking a soft follow-up question that won’t make the interviewee too uncomfortable but allows them to either reframe the answer or reiterate it.

In other words, there won’t be anything truly shocking as far as I can tell, despite what the ads suggest. I can’t ever remember a truly bombshell interview with Oprah. I think her most “shocking” interview was Tom Cruise jumping on a couch and that was due to his odd behavior, not her questions. Jon Stewart was far better at hard hitting interviews, such as with stock guru Jim Cramer. David Letterman was far better at shocking interviews, even though he could be pompous, for they are remembered in popular culture.

I assume the complaints will be that Harry and Meghan are too “Woe is me!” and the praise will be that they will be seen as very affectionate with one another and especially warm when talking about their son/baby on the way, and will seem eager in their charitable plans.

In any case, the ad didn’t make me more curious about it. I won’t watch it that night, and will only see it later if there are any truly new things to know and analyze.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:00 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by acdc1 View Post
Meghan looks great, pregnancy obviously agrees with her! I think that the dress is pretty and very flattering on her figure but the black combined with the heavy eye makeup does look odd when set against the beautiful outdoor backdrop.
I agree that it's a great dress and she looks very healthy. Not even sure that it's truly maternity.

Closed Thread