Queen Margrethe II and Prince Henrik, Current Events 3: August 2010 - January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's not handled particularly elegantly in my opinion. I mean, a CP wedding happens once in every generation. You either do it with full royal bling bling or keep it very low key, like Charles and Camilla. You can't do both.

Absolutely. Everybody keeps saying, "Well, he's not the heir yet, he's the son of the heir, and thus his wedding is smaller with fewer foreign royals, blah blah blah." I think that's so silly. The (first) wedding of a future King or Queen only happens once every 30 years or so. It should be an equally big deal every time. I don't know why on earth the fact that his grandmother is still alive is determining the guest list and the scale of the wedding.

I don't think there's anything strange about the way the British royals handled the invitations - my understanding is that the invitations were extended to the monarchs/heads of the royal families and then each family decides who's going to go. The invitation being addressed to the monarch doesn't mean that it HAS to be the monarch who goes, (as evidenced by the fact that in many cases it's not the monarch who's going), or even that ONLY the monarch and partner can go.. if a family wanted to send a larger contingent they could, (as we've seen with the Spanish attendees).

The fact that it's Queen Margrethe and not one of the "lower" members of the family going to the wedding IMO probably has more to do with her friendly relationship with QEII than anything else.

I get the feeling the British can't win with this wedding! They've done the invitations the proper way according to etiquette and people take that as evidence they're snobs who purposely snubbed a bunch of royals. If they'd extended personal invitations to individual royals I'm sure we'd be hearing about how those snobs have some nerve inviting people William doesn't even know.

It is quite unusual to have a wedding of the second in line to the throne. It must have been a minefield for the royal household to decide who is invited to the wedding outside of close family and friends. These types of occasions are "work" for the royals. It is not just a weekend get together of old friends. Just as a business decides who is going to the big client event the royal have to decide who in the royal family goes. It is posturing, returning ceremonial favours and being at the right place at the right time. It makes no sense to apply common wedding rules and customs for an event like this wedding. It is a state affair that is being arranges as if it is not. Therein lays the minefield.

I hope the royal attendees that are not invited to the evening dinner and dance have planned a great party together.

I think the BRF has handled this in a very peculiar way.

The BRF has always send secondary representation to the recent CP wedding in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and I believe Spain as well. I can't remember Belgium and the Netherlands.
And that was fair enough as they were also invited to the private celabrations afterwards. So younger royals would often be better suited and it would give them an opportunity to bond.

At this next wedding it's the son of the heir who is getting married and suddenly it considered appropriate by the British court to invite the various monarchs. Then only to let them take part in the reception, after that goodbye...

I don't know what happened. Did they get to end of the list and said: "Oh we also need to invite the continental royals, but we've only got fourteen seat, so who to invite"?
Or is it plain snobbery? "We can send lower representatives to continental wedding, but oh no, nothing short of monarchs are appropriate when the son of our heir is getting married".
It's not handled particularly elegantly in my opinion. I mean, a CP wedding happens once in every generation. You either do it with full royal bling bling or keep it very low key, like Charles and Camilla. You can't do both.

If a family acted that way towards my own extended family, they wouldn't get an invitation for the next event in my family. And we would just send a greeting card to them the next time they celebrated something.

I'll be interesting to see how many regent couples who turn up. i.e. both of them. And how "busy" there are about returning home.

I think many facts play a role in this:
First it's not the Wedding of the Crown Prince but only the second in line. Which is stupid as Prince Andrew had also a big Wedding back in 1986. and hew was not Crown Prince and also not second in line he was at place 4 at that time.
Second the Ivitations where send by the Queen. Probably she send it to her fellow colleges. But could have Margrethe not done it like Sofia and aksed "Henrik can't come(for what ever reason). Can i then bring Frederik and mary with me insteed.
Third Aklso at the Wedding of Charles and Diana only the monarchs and their wives attended. Not more Family members from foreign Royals. I think the only exception was King Olav of Norway who was accompanied by Harald and Sonja then.

They've done the invitations the proper way according to etiquette and people take that as evidence they're snobs who purposely snubbed a bunch of royals. If they'd extended personal invitations to individual royals I'm sure we'd be hearing about how those snobs have some nerve inviting people William doesn't even know.
Then why did CP Frederik said that it "isn´t a shame to stay away when you´re not invited"?
If this was done by etiquette, then he would surely know that he was invited if the DRF decided to let the CPC go.

The BRF has always send secondary representation to the recent CP wedding in Denmark, Sweden, Norway and I believe Spain as well. I can't remember Belgium and the Netherlands. .

IIRC: The Prince of Wales definetely attended the CPly wedding in Spain and I think that he attended Norway, Belgium and the Netherlands as well! Anglo-Norwegian relations are excellent (see the BRF turn out at King Harald's 70th!) whereas Denmark and Sweden are bottom of the league. ;)

So younger royals would often be better suited and it would give them an opportunity to bond.
I don't think that they're particularly interested in bonding! How much interaction have William and Harry had with continental royalty so far?

At this next wedding it's the son of the heir who is getting married and suddenly it considered appropriate by the British court to invite the various monarchs.
I don't see the logic either! They should have invited the CPly couples only, but again: it signals that 'bonding' isn't an issue! And on second thought: With whom should William bond? There's no reason to believe that he will accede in the foreseeable future! There's still the POW! William is at least 10 years younger that the corps of continental crown princes whereas Charles is about 20 years older!

I don't know what happened. Did they get to end of the list and said: "Oh we also need to invite the continental royals, but we've only got fourteen seat, so who to invite"?
IIRC 40 seats are reserved for foreign royalty, including the politically important Middle-Eastern monarchs, who can afford to give serious bling-bling for presents! ;)

Or is it plain snobbery? "We can send lower representatives to continental wedding, but oh no, nothing short of monarchs are appropriate when the son of our heir is getting married". .
IMO the word is arrogance!

Yep! And that said, no offence intended to any UK or Commonwealth poster on this thread :flowers:. I just wish they would understand that this particular issue looks very strange from a continental vantage point!

I'll be interesting to see how many regent couples who turn up. i.e. both of them. And how "busy" there are about returning home.
Well, some are staying way, maybe because of other engagements? Interesting that Queen Beatrix has excused herself because of the Queen's day on the 30th of April.

Viv

Last edited:
IIRC: The Prince of Wales definetely attended the CPly wedding in Spain and I think that he attended Norway, Belgium and the Netherlands as well! Anglo-Norwegian relations are excellent (see the BRF turn out at King Harald's 70th!) whereas Denmark and Sweden are bottom of the league. ;)
Viv

The Prince of Wales not only attended the Crown Princely Wedding in Spain but also the Wedding of Infanta Elena. Only not the Wedding of Infanta Cristina but it was only a month after the death of Diana.
And yes he attended the Crown Princely Weddings in Belgium and Norway and the Netherlands. In Norway and the Netherlands also also the Earl and Countess of Wessex attended.
As for last years 70th birthday in Denmark i have read that the Duke of Edinburgh was to attend (at last the dinner at Fredensborg) but could not because of the volcano ash.

As for last years 70th birthday in Denmark i have read that the Duke of Edinburgh was to attend (at last the dinner at Fredensborg) but could not because of the volcano ash.
Correct. Prince Philip has attended another of the major DRF events (sorry, I've forgotten which!), but then again, he does have a link to Denmark: his former title, childhood memories and a Danish diplomatic passport. I remember vividly that he cried his eyes out at the funeral of King Frederik IX in 1972. So there must have been a bond there too!

Viv

Last edited:
FasterB said:
Then why did CP Frederik said that it "isn´t a shame to stay away when you´re not invited"?
If this was done by etiquette, then he would surely know that he was invited if the DRF decided to let the CPC go.

You make your own point, if the DRF had decided to send the CPC then they would have been going as representative- The Queen obviously decided she wants to go with her husband and not send the CPC..... like ALL the other houses monoarchs were invited and then could send anyone, like Sweden chose to send Victoria and Daniel and Netherlands Max and WA- they were equally as 'non-invited' as Frederick and Mary and yet they are attending so Frederick was simply not choosen by his mom to represent the DRF as she had decided to do so herself....

You make your own point, if the DRF had decided to send the CPC then they would have been going as representative- The Queen obviously decided she wants to go with her husband and not send the CPC..... like ALL the other houses monoarchs were invited and then could send anyone, like Sweden chose to send Victoria and Daniel and Netherlands Max and WA- they were equally as 'non-invited' as Frederick and Mary and yet they are attending so Frederick was simply not choosen by his mom to represent the DRF as she had decided to do so herself....

Exactly. Additionally I think that if Frederik and Mary, (for example), wanted to accompany Queen Margrethe to the wedding they'd be welcome.

I disagree.

You either get a general invitation or a personal invitation. Frederik stated clearly that he and Mary had not been invited.
You don't invite yourself.
M&F would go if QMII and PH are somehow prevented. - Only in that situation, can you "interprete" an invitation.

Exactly. Additionally I think that if Frederik and Mary, (for example), wanted to accompany Queen Margrethe to the wedding they'd be welcome.
In that case they would be "crashing" the party.

I mean, if you are not invited to a party, you don't call the hosts and say: "I wanna come too".

Last edited:
I disagree.

You either get a general invitation or a personal invitation. Frederik stated clearly that he and Mary had not been invited.
You don't invite yourself.
M&F would go if QMII and PH are somehow prevented. - Only in that situation, can you "interprete" an invitation.

In that case they would be "crashing" the party.

I mean, if you are not invited to a party, you don't call the hosts and say: "I wanna come too".

Depends on how bad you want to go. ;)

I think there's probably no use in speculating whether the invitations were general household invitations or 'to the monarch +1 only' invitations as unless we ever see a copy of an actual invite both interpretations can be made. I'm basing my idea of a general invitation on the Spanish case where both the consort and the CP couple are going... I don't think think Felipe and Letizia would have been tacked on afterwards as the previously posted Telegraph article suggests, (although if they were, Muhler, that means apparently you CAN crash the party :p).

We cannot verify the factual information in the article of the Daily Telegraph; had it been the Daily Mail I'd have dismissed it right away! But 'pride' is supposedly one of the arch characteristics of the Spanish, so maybe it's true! If so I'll take my hat off to the Spanish Courtiers!:flowers:

Viv

Queen Margrethe opened the Treasure Chamber at The Old City Museum
in Arhus on April 19, 2011.

** Pic ** gettyimages/wireimage gallery **

Thanks, Iceflower :flowers:

I cannot help wondering whether some of QMII's latest headgear contain some kind of communication or tracking devices.

An article about the event from Jyllands Posten: Den Gamle By åbner nyt skatkammer

QMII was bascally inauguration a new vault for the most precious items displayed at Den Gamle By = The Old Town, a museum in Aarhus.
The museum has a large collection os valuable articles that are connected to, and could be found, in a wealthy merchant town up to 300 years ago. These items are now much more secure.

Den Gamle By consists of a number of buildings gathered from all over the country. These buildings have been moved here or rebuilt here, so that it resembles a merchant town as it would have looked like 150-300 years ago.
Recently new buildings have been added so that a part of the area resemble a street anno 1960 or so. Yes, 1960 is becoming the "good old days". You know, back when the sun always shined from a bright clear sky during summer and it always snowed at Christmas. When crooks were fairly decent crooks and the police always got their man. - At least in the movies...

In short: This would be an event where QMII would certainly not have to be dragged kicking and screaming. :lol:

Margrethe appears to have had a fieldday!

Billed-Bladet - Dronningen tog en kunstpause fra sin påskeferie

First the inauguration in the Old Town, but also a closer look at various items there, which have not yet been displayed in public.

No need to rush to the Old Town is there? She popped by Aros on the way. Aros is the largest art muesum in Aarhus, and had a look at an exhibition of painting by Asger Jorn, then up to the roof of the museum to see an exhibition, and probably enjoying the view as well, of another exhibition which has not yet been opened to the public.

In fact no one knew QMII would drop by and an elderly gentleman almost bumped into Margrethe at the entrance, because he hadn't noticed her.

Dronning Margrethe på uventet besøg for at se Jorn-kunst - Kultur

Here is a neat gallery of QMII in The Old Town: Fotogalleri: Dronningen i den gamle by | stiften.dk

The man with the red and white tie behind her is the mayor, Nikolai Wammen, he would so much like to become a minister, if the oppostion wins the next election.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to HM's attendance of the UK wedding:

Part of the guest list is now published and I'm beginning to wonder why she didn't pass on the invitation to Frederik and Mary!:ermm: We know that HM is a party animal who likes a good olde royal-get-together- and-knees-up, however the composition of the foreign royalty guest list reveals that she may be in for a dissappointment! Several European monarchs have excused themselves and send the their crown princely couples instead. Norway, Denmark, Spain, Luxembourg and Monaco are represented by the monarchs, Spain including the Asturiasses!
The rest of the Europeans are has-beens!

I know it's not the right place to refer to the UK wedding, so.. before a moderator reacts, the guest list can be found on the www.officialroyalwedding2011.org site.

Happy easter!

Viv

:previous: Spain isn't represented by it's monarch. Only it's consort and the Asturias couple ;)

I'd have liked to have seen the Crown Prince and Princess attend, but the Queen must have felt her presence more appropriate.

Last edited:
Back to HM's attendance of the UK wedding:

I know it's not the right place to refer to the UK wedding, so.. before a moderator reacts, the guest list can be found on the www.officialroyalwedding2011.org site.

I don't have a problem with her attending. She and the Queen are distant cousins. Maybe she enjoys England and visiting with the Queen. Maybe QEII would like there to be some guests of her own age range for her to hang with at the reception.

P.S. Thanks for the website. The schedule will come in very useful in setting my VCR. So many channels are starting so early. Now I know how much fluffy filler there will be.

for her to hang with at the reception.

That's precisely what monarchs do. The "hang" :D .lol.

The Queen interacts with people of all ages and enthnicities on a very regular basis so I don't think age is a motivation behind the invitation. As wth all invites to foreign royal families, the invites were addressed to the sovereign/deposed head and their respective spouse.

Though I'm sure the British and Danish monarchs will have a very pleasant exchange throughout Margrethe's time in London.

:previous: Spain isn't represented by it's monarch. Only it's consort and the Asturias couple ;)

Oops - that's correct! I forgot that King Carlos doesn't attend the foreign wedding, but anyway - the original idea on my part was to menion that the spouse of the Spanish monarch is attending ;)!
Anyway it doesn't change my opinion that Queen Margrethe should have considered sending the Crown Princely couple in stead! I don't doubt that she has an amicable relationship with QE II, but it's hardly a close one! No way! Though they share a similar fates, circumstances and experiences I don't see how they can get a conservation going for long; they're far too different in their interests!

Viv

On the contrary, I can picture them sitting at a table, after QEII's hosting duties have been completed, and just being Grandmothers. And maybe they talk politics and current events (all the stuff they aren't supposed to have an "official" opinion about). I, for one, would love to eavesdrop on their conversation!

Anyway it doesn't change my opinion that Queen Margrethe should have considered sending the Crown Princely couple in stead! I don't doubt that she has an amicable relationship with QE II, but it's hardly a close one! No way! Though they share a similar fates, circumstances and experiences I don't see how they can get a conservation going for long; they're far too different in their interests!

Viv

:previous:Ah but there lies the beauty of their 'relationship'. We do not know what level of correspondance they have. Personally, I'd imagine they'd get along very well and no doubt have more in common than we may think :)

I think perhaps Elizabeth could be more candid with a fellow monarch than she may be with many others, outside her own family.

I'm not suggesting the are best friends, but good friends, certainly.

All that said, I agree with you re the Queen attending Prince William's wedding, and not the Crown Prince and Princess.

Queen Margareth said once in an interview that she has a huge admiration for QEII and that she had enormous humour and was very fun and people cant imagine that. I saw a video on the car accident Princess Diana had in 1997 when she died and in the report Queen Margareth is interviewed. She is also one of the few order of the garter with the king of norway and her husband Prince Henrik is good friend with Prince filip and they planned a few years ago to joint their forces and create the group of men who walk behind their spouses. Very funny men. Margareth and Henrik goes a few times a year to Sandringham for hunting with QEII and Prince Filip and the king and queen of Greece. So traditionally we dont see photos of these friendly meeting because the BRF consideres this as private. Now if they visited the swedish RF of course you will have photos because everything is an opportunity to photoshoot.

In advancd to the Moderators: you may want to move this to a William and Kate page ... but posting here initially because of the conversations re: CP Couple's invited.

I'm thinking that Felipe and Letizia are invited because Felipe through his mother is a bit of a "closer" relative to the Prince of Wales than is CP Frederik. After all, Felipe is a similar type of relative to the Prince of Wales as is CP Pavlos. That may be the "logic" that you are all looking for in this conversation regarding "who's invited, who's not invited ...."

JMHO!

Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte mentioned in a documentary going on their first trip to England shortly after QEII's coronation and having queen with Queen Mary. It was the first time PB had ever seen a television set and they were very impressed by it. So there is some kind of relationship between the two and it goes back aways.

Maybe they're BFFs? : )

Margareth and Henrik goes a few times a year to Sandringham for hunting with QEII and Prince Filip and the king and queen of Greece. So traditionally we don't see photos of these friendly meeting because the BRF consideres this as private.

Excusez-moi, but how do you do that if there's no photos or other records of it?? ;) Rusapru -I'm not saying that HM and Henri have never been invited to Sandringham for a shoot; what I'm saying is that I - a member of the general Danish public - have never, ever heard about it!
The last time I noticed that Queen Margrethe at Sandringham was some 7 -8 years ago. She was there with her sister and King Constantine and the shoot/week-end get-to-gether or whatever hosted by the Prince of Wales. There was a photo of her from that visit, I think she was going to the Sunday service with the rest of the company.

If the other Danes know otherwise: shoot :) !
Viv

Queen Margrethe and Princess Benedikte mentioned in a documentary going on their first trip to England shortly after QEII's coronation and having queen with Queen Mary. It was the first time PB had ever seen a television set and they were very impressed by it. So there is some kind of relationship between the two and it goes back aways.

It had something to do with Queen Ingrid being half-English and a great grand child of Queen Victoria! She stayed frequently in the UK in her youth and nursed her British family connections (the Connaughts!) as long as they were around! However she knew many others from the main line of the familiy and the Queen Mother was a god parent to Princess Benedikte!

Viv

Last edited by a moderator:
Excusez-moi, but how do you do that if there's no photos or other records of it?? ;) Rusapru -I'm not saying that HM and Henri have never been invited to Sandringham for a shoot; what I'm saying is that I - a member of the general Danish public - have never, ever heard about it!
The last time I noticed that Queen Margrethe at Sandringham was some 7 -8 years ago. She was there with her sister and King Constantine and the shoot/week-end get-to-gether or whatever was hosted by the Prince of Wales. There was a photo of her from that visit, I think she was going to the Sunday service with the rest of the company.

If the other Danes know otherwise: shoot :) !
Viv

I've never heard about that either.
QMII go to England incognito every year a few weeks before Christmas to do some shopping, but I've never read about QMII and PH going hunting at Sandringham, let alone on a regular basis.

:previous: I've heard it. Whether Sandringham or Blamoral though, I can't recall.

The Russian Prime Minister Putin will arrive in Copenhagen Tuesday for a day long visit.

Putin indtager København - Politik - BT.dk

BT writes a little background details of the visit, which must be considered a political and very pragmatic visit.
Putin will meet with the Danish PM, Lars Løkke. He will also meet QMII at an audience, which in itself is not that usual a thing to do as Putin, is "only" the head of the Russian government, and not a head of state.
Most often a visiting government leader only meet with the PM and representatives of the Parliament, including the opposition.
The article says that Putin is in charge, even though Medvedev is President.
That is certainly very much debated on the political forums on the Net!
Personally I think the approach from Danish side is very pragmatic.

Not least in the light of the very warm relations between DK and Russia some years ago, which among other things included the reburiel of Empress Dagmar in Russia.
These relations were very much put on hold, by Putin, due to the then Danish stance on the situation in the Caucasus.

These relations has warmed since the Danish government allowed a gaspipeline to go through Danish territory from Russia, a couple of years ago.
Aaand because President Obama has declared that the US (and therefore also Danish) relations with Russia are to be more pragmatic.

So, to put it bluntly, we will be sucking up to Putin tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom