News from the Spanish Nobility

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Two Duchesses of Plasencia?

Angela Tellez-Giron is the 19th Duchess of Plasencia.
Her daughter Maria de Gracia de Solis-Beaumont is the 20th Duchess of Plasencia.
The Wikipedia article Duke of Plasencia has both Angela and Maria as living.
Is this correct? If Yes, how can there be two Duchesses of Plasencia at one time?

Ángela María Téllez-Girón y Duque de Estrada was 16th Duchess of Osuna; she also held several subsidiary titles, among wich was that of 19th Duchess of Plasencia.
Spanish law allows the holder of noble titles to cede during his/her lifetime one or more of his subsidiary titles to anoter person, who is in line to succeed to the title.
By virtue of this law, in 1974 the 19th Duchess ceded that title to her second daughter María de la Gracia de Solís-Beaumont y Téllez-Girón, who became the 20th Duchess of Plasencia.
BTW, Ángela María Téllez-Girón y Duque de Estrada has passed away last year, on 29 May 2015. Her eldest child Ángela María de Solís-Beaumont y Téllez-Girón has succeeded her as the 17th Duchess of Osuna.

So it is correct that from 1974 to 2015 both the 19th Duchess and the 20th Duchess were alive, but they weren't Duchesses of Plasencia at the same time, because María de la Gracia de Solís-Beaumont y Téllez-Girón became the 20th Duchess after the cession of the title by her mother Ángela María Téllez-Girón y Duque de Estrada, who at that point ceased to be the 19th Duchess and holder of that title.

Yes, she succeeded her father to be countess of Luna in 2007.

And is now becoming a nun,wonder will she give up the title?

As I understand it, she only enters the monastery for 2 days, just for the weekend. It's nothing worth of a headline, imo. But as an ex of the King even a weekend in a monastery seems to sell papers.

Doña Victoria Elisabeth von Hohenlohe-Langenburg (aka H.S.H. Princess Victoria Elisabeth zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg) has been confirmed on 8 May 2017 as the 20th Duchess of Medinaceli and Grandee of Spain.
She succeeded her father, don Marco de Hohenlohe Medina (aka H.S.H. Prince Marco zu Hohenlohe-Langenburg), who died last year.

https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2017/05/22/pdfs/BOE-A-2017-5668.pdf

This isn't exactly news, but I didn't know where else to put it.

I visited the Viceroy's Palace in Jerez, a lovely city in Spain yesterday as part of my holiday. The palace is owned by the family of the Count of the Andes and we had the opportunity to be shown around by the current count himself (he does all the English guided tours, whilst his sister does the Spanish tours). He was quite a likeable character, and seemed very down to earth. He was willing to answer any questions we had about his family and showed us all of his old family photos out of his own will - as the actual tour he gave focused more on the house itself obviously, but he could probably tell we were interested in royalty and aristocracy! The Counts of the Andes have always been very close to the SRF, and the current count showed us a few photos of him meeting King Felipe and Queen Letizia; and his father meeting King Juan Carlos. The 7th count was made head of the royal household when the SRF went into exile under Franco.

It was quite a surreal experience to be shown around such a grand house by the count himself, I would definitely recommend a visit if you ever find yourself in Jerez!

Back
Top Bottom