News from the Spanish Nobility

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Disclaimer: I have no idea about spanish nobility!

This Count Osorno looks very much like the Duke of Huéscar. Even their hair cuts are similiar! Are they related?

They are brothers (with just 1 year age difference).

The niece they are talking about is the baby (and future duchess of Alba) that was just born to the duke and duchess of Huéscar.

Last edited:
Congratulations to the couple! Nice that the baby was named after the late Duchess.

How kind of them to pose for the press and answer some questions... Including the inevitable one about 'more children'... They seem to be a very kind and loving couple/little family.

I wonder will Doña Rosario receive any titles?

I wondered the same thing but her father and uncle only received their titles a few years ago (after their grandmother passed away and their father had secured the dukedom of Alba and his mother's other remaining titles (that she didn't cede to one of her other children (especially her second son Alfonso got lots of titles: 8 in total)), so I guess she might have to wait for her father's title to become available (by him becoming the duke of Alba - so, he can cede his title to her as his heir) - at that point any siblings she might have will most likely also receive a (less prominent) title.

Not unless her grandfather cedes her a title.

It wouldn't be the first time. The current Duke of Alba gained the title Duke of Huescar from his grandfather who ceded it to Carlos instead of his daughter inheriting it. And her grandfather certainly has enough titles to spare (though less then his mother as she ceded a number of them to his siblings).

But I doubt it. I don't see her gaining a title until her father is Duke of Alba. At which time he traditionally would cede Huescar to her as his heir. I am sure younger siblings will be ceded a title, like her Uncle.

Yes that's true and it wouldn't be unusual if her grandfather ceded her a Countdom.

I wondered the same thing but her father and uncle only received their titles a few years ago (after their grandmother passed away and their father had secured the dukedom of Alba and his mother's other remaining titles (that she didn't cede to one of her other children (especially her second son Alfonso got lots of titles: 8 in total)), so I guess she might have to wait for her father's title to become available (by him becoming the duke of Alba - so, he can cede his title to her as his heir) - at that point any siblings she might have will most likely also receive a (less prominent) title.

As far as i know the Titles now holed by the second son of the late Duke of Alba where inherited by her from her mther's Family who i believe was an only chil. Not sure but i think i had read somewhere thast this was an request from the late Duchess's maternal grandfather that there should be again an own House of Hijar.

Little Rosario is such a sweet baby! I wonder what her other names are, if any.

As far as i know the Titles now holed by the second son of the late Duke of Alba where inherited by her from her mther's Family who i believe was an only chil. Not sure but i think i had read somewhere thast this was an request from the late Duchess's maternal grandfather that there should be again an own House of Hijar.

Thanks, that makes sense. I looked up the various titles of the late duchess grandfather (the title 'duque de Lécera' was split of one generation earlier and is now carried by the descendants of his uncle).

Alfonso de Silva y Fernández de Córdoba (1877-1955):
xvi duque de Híjar,
xv duque de Aliaga,
x marqués de San Vicente del Barco,
xvii conde de Palma del Río,
xvi conde de Aranda,
xi conde de Salvatierra,
xvii marqués de Almenara,
xxii conde de Ribadeo

Alfonso Martínez de Irujo y Fitz-James Stuart (1950):
xviii duque de Híjar
xviii Duque de Aliaga (1954 - 2015; ceded to his eldest son)
xix Marqués de Almenara (2013 - 2015; ceded to his younger son)
Marqués de Orani
Conde de Aranda
Conde de Ribadeo
Conde de Guimerá
Conde de Palma del Río

Congratulations to the Duchess of Suárez another ducal baby in Spain :previous:

Last edited by a moderator:
The Duke of Arjona participated in the SN4* Ruta de Otono at Hipica de Pineda in Seville this weekend and talked with Spanish magazine Hola about his memoirs and his brothers:

** Pic ** hola article with video **

Tamara Falcó, this week on the cover of Hola magazine with an exclusive interview. In this interview she talks about her father's legacy and what it means to her to have the title marquesa de Griñón.

https://www.hola.com/actualidad/20201007176704/tamara-falco-habla-legado-padre/

Technically she doesn't have the title yet.

https://www.diputaciondelagrandezaytitulosdelreino.es/guiadetitulo/?b

"Titular actual: Vacante por fallecimiento del Marqués de Castel-Moncayo, G. de E."

In the United Kingdom it is customary for a new peer or baronet to begin using the title following his predecessor's funeral, even if his succession has not yet been legally recognized. Is there a similar custom in Spain?

In Spain the scuession to a Title has to be confirmed by a Minister.

In the United Kingdom it is customary for a new peer or baronet to begin using the title following his predecessor's funeral, even if his succession has not yet been legally recognized. Is there a similar custom in Spain?

I don't know, but my understanding is that, in the UK, succession to a peerage is in fact automatic, meaning that the title doesn't go vacant when the last holder is deceased and there is a living successor. Having the successor's name entered in the Roll of the Peerage is a condition not for succession properly, but rather to legally enjoy the rights, privileges and precedence of the peerage. A peer whose name is not entered in the roll is still a peer, but cannot, for example, use his title or be cited by his title in official documents.

In Spain, on the other hand, the title remains legally vacant (unlike in the UK) until a Real Carta de Sucesión is issued in the King's name by ministerial order published in the State Gazette. To have such letter issued, the person who believes to be the successor has to file a petition with the Ministry of Justice and pay the appropriate succession tax .

Usually, when a person is the immediate successor under the regular order (since 2006, according to equal primogeniture), that should be a straightforward process, but that is not the case of Tamara Falcó.

Since her father expressed a desire in his will to distribute his titles among his descendants, reserving the main title to the firstborn, it is unlikely that Tamara's siblings will contest her succession, but, if I understand it correct, Spanish nobiliary law allows for a period of time during which the siblings (or any person who believes him/herself to be of better right) could do so. Is that perhaps the reason why the process takes so long? Tamara's father passed away early this year and the title is still vacant today.

Last edited:
Her older brother should also be the next Marquess de Castel Moncayo.

Back
Top Bottom