Royal Ruby Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Last edited:
True that would be very difficult to miss. It reminds me of the Duchess of Windor´s turquoise, diamond and amethyst "bib" necklace by Cartier.
Thanks Warren I was certainly missing out on something. You could have a competition, how many diamonds?

Ghastly is the right word. Add 'tacky'. This thing might have looked just right in a ridiculously overproduced ‘Cleopatra’ silent movie ca. 1923, but not on any Royal, ever. . . . . . . . At least the Duchess had the good sense to wear a simple dress with it, but it still rests like a gaudy millstone on her, errhhh, décolleté.
Well spotted Boris. :whistling:
Boris said:
Leaving this jewelry mine in the vaults for a polite ten years in order to break it up afterwards and design something decent with the beautiful stones is the only sensible solution here.
I heartily agree. It is the best idea I have heard for it. Most others have suggested more immediate and terminal fates for it, having had their retina's seared by it's full "glory"! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

ps: Apologies LadyK, I got a little carried away.

"reinas seared" I love it,Marg. That was too accurate.
The rubies themselves are unquestionably beautiful, but "bib" is an appropriate description. I think that this thing could be broken up and necklaces, brooches, earrings, and a ring could be made--and maybe a tiara. I think something designed along the lines of the Swedish amethyst pieces would look nice.

Wurttemberg Ruby Star Tiara

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we going to bemoan this one again?! I happen to love it!

"reinas seared" I love it,Marg. That was too accurate.
The rubies themselves are unquestionably beautiful, but "bib" is an appropriate description. I think that this thing could be broken up and necklaces, brooches, earrings, and a ring could be made--and maybe a tiara. I think something designed along the lines of the Swedish amethyst pieces would look nice.

I think the best useof the Saudi ruby breastplate / bib / call it what you may would be to convert it into a grand ruby tiara - upturned, like a fringe tiara, similar in scale and stature to the Kokoshnik or the Delhi Durbar. Any left over stones could be used to make a necklace or a bracelet or earrings or a brooch.... Are any of our photoshopping experts willing to oblige, please???

I agree. I think you could take a few rows off for necklace, earring and bracelet and still have enough left over for a respectable tiara.

Yes, it was a Saxe-Coburg-Gotha parure, which was broken up when it was sold at auction. The earrings, I believe, were purchased by the Fuerst von Thurn und Taxis for his wife, Fuerstin Gloria, in the 1980s. I think he bought them because of some relation between the T&T and S-C-G families.

This ruby parure was a weeding gidt from King Louis Philippe of France to his daughter Clémentine when she married Prince August of SCG...the earings were bought by Furst Turn aned Taxi due to relations between the famillies (he's a descendant of Princess Clémentine through women). The earings were put on auction in 1992 by Princesse Gloria. No informations about the rest of the parure

Sachsen-Coburg Kohari| Diadem - Tiara - Rubin Schmuck

Actually, rubies are among the most valuable precious stones. They're certainly more expensive than diamonds of the same weight, and they rarely show up as large stones. You won't see the same huge chunks of rubies as you do of sapphires and emeralds. In that respect, they're actually somewhat more discreet rather than tacky. Any time you see a great big red stone, the chances are that it's a spinel or a garnet or something, not a ruby.

Rubies do show up in humongous sizes, but, as you say, not in gorgeous clear unincluded stones. I have a pendant of one gigantic round polished genuine ruby cabochon that weighs in at almost 800 carats (yes, that's right, eight hundred!), but it's totally opaque. A very pretty medium-dark raspberry color, it has a bit of a cat's-eye sheen (chatoyancy) to it, but it's not transparent in the slightest. It may not be clear, but it's a real ruby!

And therefore not expensive: I paid about a hundred dollars for it, from my Bangkok gem dealer, who was selling it as a rather posh paperweight! He was very amused that anyone would have it set to wear around her neck, and suggested it's probably making my neck muscles really, really strong.
Plus I could use it as a weapon, if necessary...;)

And you're right too, Elspeth, that the famous big royal red stones are spinels, also known as balas rubies: the Timur "ruby", the Black Prince's "ruby", both are natural spinels. But just as beautiful, I think.

Oddly, my gem dealer says that blue sapphires of this included, opaque type almost never show up in big monster sizes. (Because of course I wanted one...) He didn't know why, but the biggest opaque cabochon blue sapphires he'd ever sold were around 15 carats apiece. You see really big transparent blue sapphires, like Diana's wedding gift from the Queen Mum, but for some reason not that many opaque sapphires the size of my ruby. Weird...since sapphires, like rubies, are corundum.

Wow, Duchess Ravenna! Your story is very interesting. I cannot imagine an 800 karat ruby paperweight! I love the color of the French ruby parure that was sold. It looks like a raspberry color (which I think is beautiful).

I too happen to prefer the opaque versions of Sapphires, Rubies and Emeralds. It's not just that it's the only version I can afford, but I think of them as rare. I don't see many people wearing them, at least not larger versions of them. Most are tiny or "created" versions of the stones.

I have a 20 carat star sapphire and its colour is greyish blue, precious stones when cut in cabachon do look opaque. With sapphires and rubies they have to be cut that way to see the star.
I must add that I have a large SA slightly included emerald (garden/jardin it is called) and I also have a totally clear smaller(2ct) Colombian emerald and I have no doubt which one has the prettiest colour. Colombians are gorgeous.
The Ruby pendant must be spectacular. My grandmother had the first name Ruby which first gave me my interest in this gem.

I think it is wonderful how Queen Beatrix shares almost all the Dutch Royal Jewels with all her daughters-in-law, sisters, and even nieces-in-law, as in the case of Ears Of Wheat Tiara for their weddings.

I wish Queen Elizabeth would be a little more open.. God only knows what is in those vaults we have not seen..

I agree, and to me it doesn't seem to make sense. Why not let the lesser subjects borrow them. I just love to look at them, we already know they are there so whats the big deal. The talented jeweler who made them, his work should be appreciated and admired!:bang:

I wish Queen Elizabeth would be a little more open.. God only knows what is in those vaults we have not seen..
Every now and then I have this awful dream that the "Vaults" have been opened and . . . . .there was nothing in them! :eek: :verysad:

Or it's not as grand as we thought...........Shells of former crowns and tiaras, ugly jewelry (like that opal thing) and leftover bits.

I'll bet it's locked up in Iran as part of the so called "Treasury".

I've seen that on Beatrix a view times.

I've seen that on Beatrix a view times.
No.
Queen Beatrix has worn the tiara from the Peacock parure only once, at Queen Margrethe's 70th birthday this year.
You are probably confusing it with the far heavier set Mellorio ruby tiara, which is frequently worn by Beatrix.

I really didn't care for Rubies until Mary began wearing her Ruby Suite.

I have one question, should rubies be worn with a red gown or another color gown, such as white, or gold lame as Queen Sofia wore at the dinner the night before Felipe and Letizia's wedding?

I think that Mary wears them beautifully, almost as beautiful as Queen Ingrid. Mary's coloring is more befitting to the rubies though, imho.

I welcome all advice on what color gown should one wear.

No.
Queen Beatrix has worn the tiara from the Peacock parure only once, at Queen Margrethe's 70th birthday this year.
You are probably confusing it with the far heavier set Mellorio ruby tiara, which is frequently worn by Beatrix.

She has also worn it for an official photo released for her 30th anniversary as Queen.

I wouldn't have a problem wearing it~

Back
Top Bottom