Royal Emerald Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't know to me it still looks like they just stuck that square emerald at the top because they couldn't think of anything else to do with it. I think without that it would be a very lovely tiara since it is so tall already. But that is just my opinion.:p

Last edited:
I really don't like the square on top of that tiara. It just looks out of place with the rest of the piece. I think it would be an absolutely stunning piece otherwise, but no amount of hair can be used to soften it when you have that huge thing sticking out of the top!

I think that emralds fit more to Letizia than th blues saphir that she was wearing at the evening's diner of her wedding. Generally speaking emerald is a good stone for the Princess of asturias; the ruby too, remember the Frederic's wedding !

Maxima fan said:
http://royalfashion.web-log.nl/log/4827320

The Emerald Jewels of the Dutch Royals!

I can't find the emeralds on this website (but I do like the feature of comparing runway fashions with the way royals wear them. Could we make that a thread in the fashion section?).

I love emeralds - they are my birthstone, but I'm not fond of the Iranian emeralds as I think they are just too big, bordering on gaudy. I also don't like cabochon emeralds such as the British Cambridge emeralds/Delhi Durbar, or Queen Anne-Marie of Greece's parure. In fact, I'm not fond of cabochon stones at all.

I guess I'd prefer Queen Margarethe's emerald parure in style (but not the yellow gold) and Queen Sonja's (set in white gold/platinum).

Last edited:
I found my favorite!

I was looking through Geoffrey C Munn's 'Tiaras: A history of Spledor' and found my favorite! It's on pg. 224. I don't have the capabilities or skills to upload a picture - would someone please be so kind to do this? Thank you!

The caption reads "A gold tiara set with emeralds and diamonds, from the French crown jewels. It was made by Evrard and Frederic Bapst between Sept. 1819 and July 1820 for the Duchesse d'Angouleme, daughter of Louis XVI. Made up in part from stones from the crown collection, it was a favorite of Empress Eugenie. The tiara was sold at auction by the French in 1887. Private Collection"

It's also in Geoffrey Munn's book 'Tiaras: Pasat and Present' on pg. 41. The caption there adds the following information - "There are 1031 diamonds and 40 emeralds set into this remarkable ornament. When the crown jewels were eventually dispersed in the sale of 1887, an observer remarked that anyone who had not seen it 'does not know what an emerald is...the green stones alternate with brilliants in such a manner that there is an interplay of coloured light, the effect of which is magical.'"

I think this tiara/diadem is much prettier than those currently in use by royals. I wonder where it ended up.

I wish I knew how to post photos, but I would be hard pushed to decide which were the most beautiful emeralds, The British Cambridge Parure or the Danish Emerald parure. :wub: :wub:

If I had my druthers I would take both and throw in the Empress Josephine emerald tiara to boot. And then everybody could turn green with envy.

I really like the Grand Duchess Vladimir's tiara. It looks nice with the pearls but it is to die for with emeralds.

Thomas Parkman said:
If I had my druthers I would take both and throw in the Empress Josephine emerald tiara to boot. And then everybody could turn green with envy.

Ah Thomas, Thomas. a man after my own heart!:wub:

RubyPrincess168 said:
I was looking through Geoffrey C Munn's 'Tiaras: A history of Spledor' and found my favorite! It's on pg. 224. I don't have the capabilities or skills to upload a picture - would someone please be so kind to do this? Thank you!

The caption reads "A gold tiara set with emeralds and diamonds, from the French crown jewels. It was made by Evrard and Frederic Bapst between Sept. 1819 and July 1820 for the Duchesse d'Angouleme, daughter of Louis XVI. Made up in part from stones from the crown collection, it was a favorite of Empress Eugenie. The tiara was sold at auction by the French in 1887. Private Collection"

It's also in Geoffrey Munn's book 'Tiaras: Pasat and Present' on pg. 41. The caption there adds the following information - "There are 1031 diamonds and 40 emeralds set into this remarkable ornament. When the crown jewels were eventually dispersed in the sale of 1887, an observer remarked that anyone who had not seen it 'does not know what an emerald is...the green stones alternate with brilliants in such a manner that there is an interplay of coloured light, the effect of which is magical.'"

I think this tiara/diadem is much prettier than those currently in use by royals. I wonder where it ended up.

I found a pcture of it: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=218651&d=1133883793

During recent cleaning, I came across an article I saved from Victorian Decorating & Lifestyle magazine about Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee. It quoted an un-named newspaper account of the gifts she received including "the magnificent set of emeralds sent by the Czar & Czarina, valued at a cost of $100,000 [Canadian]". I can't find any mention of them in 'The Queen's Jewels' by Leslie Field, or in 'Queens' Jewels' by Vincent Meylan (among the jewels she left to the Crown). Does anybody know if these emeralds really existed and what became of them?

MARG said:
Are they Pink Diamonds in the tiara?
They look more canary ish to me, but maybe that's the dress color being picked up

One of my favorite emerald pieces is the tiara which Prince Albert designed for his Queen, Victoria. It is really is a stunning thing; the design is classic! The emeralds remind me of the Cambridge emeralds in Grand Duchess Vladimir's Tiara. This tiara is still owned by a descendent of Queen Victoria's, but I believe I read somewhere that they wish to remain unknown. Pity--I'd love to see it out there somewhere. Here is a link:
Emerald & Diamond Tiara pictures from history photos on webshots

I also love the Queen Mother's Emerald necklace which was left to her by the Hon. Mrs. Ronnie Greville--here's a link, just scroll down to the QM, dressed in yellow with this necklace; beside that is a picture of her wearing the necklace and the Boucheron honeycomb tiara.

I also like all of HRH Camilla, The Duchess of Cornwall's emerald pieces. There are two PoW feather brooches shown--one worn by Diana and the other by Camilla. They are both stunning. More stunning are the emerald drop earrings, and then the Greville brooch located below them. Very beautiful emeralds!

Goodness, I forever seem to be doing this. The necklace that I inaccurately linked you to that Mrs. Greville left the Queen Mother can be found here, sorry! I linked you to the tiara again (but, it's so pretty I'm sure you didn't mind seeing again!) Just go down past Diana and Cambridge choker, past QEII and her lovely emerald necklace, and you will see the beloved Queen Mother in Mrs. Greville's emerald necklace which is said to have belonged to Marie Antionette. If you click around further on the site, you will see some of QEII's emerald brooches (they are gorgeous!)

emerald

The Queen's Dehli Durbar neckalace is breathtaking.
Also the Cambridge emerald choker that the Princess of Wales wore is stunning.

Yes, that Durbar necklace is truly something! I love the design. I would have loved to have seen the necklace worn with the Delhi Durbar tiara when it had the Cambridge emeralds on it--a la Queen Mary with some brooches and earrings, too! My oh my! And, Sirhon, that Cambridge Emerald choker that Diana, Princess of Wales wore was AMAZING. I remember when I was a little girl, and The Prince and Princess of Wales were coming to the United States; it was 1985, I was about nine or ten years old, and there was an article in Life Magazine about her jewelery and the trip. I found my mother in the grocery store and begged her to buy me the magazine. She did, and I still have it. I was lucky to have a mother who indulged my love of Diana! That choker is in there, along with a lot of other pieces, and even a little blurb about her favorite (at the time) earrings--the faux heart shaped pearl drops with the little gold bows. I remember I had to have a pair and found a pair at, believe it or not, Roses Discount Store! I still have them.

jcbcode99 said:
Yes, that Durbar necklace is truly something! I love the design. I would have loved to have seen the necklace worn with the Delhi Durbar tiara when it had the Cambridge emeralds on it--a la Queen Mary with some brooches and earrings, too! My oh my! And, Sirhon, that Cambridge Emerald choker that Diana, Princess of Wales wore was AMAZING. I remember when I was a little girl, and The Prince and Princess of Wales were coming to the United States; it was 1985, I was about nine or ten years old, and there was an article in Life Magazine about her jewelery and the trip. I found my mother in the grocery store and begged her to buy me the magazine. She did, and I still have it. I was lucky to have a mother who indulged my love of Diana! That choker is in there, along with a lot of other pieces, and even a little blurb about her favorite (at the time) earrings--the faux heart shaped pearl drops with the little gold bows. I remember I had to have a pair and found a pair at, believe it or not, Roses Discount Store! I still have them.
Your story is cute.:)

my favorite

nemerald%20stomacher.jpg
Cambridge emerald stomacher.
This stomacher was designed in 1911 and comes apart, so that it can be worn as separate brooches. The queen has never worn the stomacher complete, only as seperate brooches.

scan%20emerald%20small.jpg

Cambridge emerald brooch 2
This brooch concist of a cabochon emerald surrounded by two circles of diamonds. The emerald drop comes from Queen Mary's stomacher. Both parts came from an old emerald stomacher of the Duchess of Teck's. The stomacher was later set with saphires and left to the sister in law Princess Alice, Countess of Althone. She wore the stomacher at the coronation of the present queen in 1953.

scan%20mary%20emerald%20small.jpg

The Ladies of India carved emerald brooch
This brooch was a gift from the Ladies of India. It is an ancient engraved emerald brooch. Queen Mary is wearing the brooch on her left shoulder. The queen has never worn the brooch.

Last edited by a moderator:
At the museum in Turkey where they display the royal jewels there is a curved dagger with three enormous emeralds. Perhaps todays royalty should have something similar made. It could be very useful when dealing with the paparazzi!

Earrings and necklace of Laala Salma

Has she others in her collection of Emeralds?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom