The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 04-22-2020, 07:57 AM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

We first saw the necklace in 2013, after the inauguration. Perhaps it was a gift from a royal from the Middle East who attended the event. I find the design a bit unbalanced TBH, though the stones are mixing well together. A nice light & 'girly' necklace that will look well on her daughters in a few years.

A pity that the Queen has never worn the Mellerio sapphire necklace as a necklace yet BTW.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:02 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
Its really pretty and its the type of jewels I wish Queen Máxima would wear more often as opposed to all the chunky plastic modern pieces.
To be fair: she very seldomly wears plastic for low key outings but bijoux artisanale like leather, coral, silver, white beryl, gold-plated materials, green jade, blue turquoise, colourless crystals, natural cork, different colours of quartz, bird feathers, orange citrine, polished steel, shells, black onyx, sweet-water pearls, polished wood, etc. One would be shocked to see the price tag of this "modern bijoux" for normal daywear.

Old 04-22-2020, 08:05 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marengo View Post
We first saw the necklace in 2013, after the inauguration. Perhaps it was a gift from a royal from the Middle East who attended the event.
It is entirely possible it was a gift, but then again, Max has been known to add to the jewellery collection selectively. For example, the emerald and diamond pendant earrings, the Tutti-frutti necklace and bracelet, the pearl and diamond earrings).

Quote:
A pity that the Queen has never worn the Mellerio sapphire necklace as a necklace yet BTW.
I had noticed that, I cannot claim to be a fan of that necklace. Also, in recent years, fashion trends have made necklines on evening gowns quite high, making necklaces redundant. That could well change quite soon, and we may well see Max bring out the big and klunky sapphire and diamond necklace.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:19 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:
We first saw the necklace in 2013, after the inauguration. Perhaps it was a gift from a royal from the Middle East who attended the event. I find the design a bit unbalanced TBH, though the stones are mixing well together. A nice light & 'girly' necklace that will look well on her daughters in a few years.
I was wondering if it was new or if it had been stored away for decades in an Orange Vault.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:30 AM
Serene Highness

It is a lovely set.
Old 04-23-2020, 06:00 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I was wondering if it was new or if it had been stored away for decades in an Orange Vault.
That is indeed possible, but looking at the subtle gradations in the colours, I get the sense that this is a modern demi-parure
Old 04-23-2020, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
It is entirely possible it was a gift, but then again, Max has been known to add to the jewellery collection selectively. For example, the emerald and diamond pendant earrings, the Tutti-frutti necklace and bracelet, the pearl and diamond earrings).
True. But perhaps adding more sapphires to the collection would not be a priority. Esp. as the set does not mix with the other sapphire pieces that the family has. But it is likely that we will never know for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel
I had noticed that, I cannot claim to be a fan of that necklace. Also, in recent years, fashion trends have made necklines on evening gowns quite high, making necklaces redundant. That could well change quite soon, and we may well see Max bring out the big and klunky sapphire and diamond necklace.
I am all for big and klunky necklaces, with or without sapphires . But you are right, with today's fashion they do not seem to be very much en vogue, esp. not with the younger royals.
Old 04-23-2020, 09:32 AM
Majesty

Quote:
I am all for big and klunky necklaces, with or without sapphires . But you are right, with today's fashion they do not seem to be very much en vogue, esp. not with the younger royals.
Indeed.

The only saving grace can be the "younger royals" are not that young any more, with Max, Leti, Mary and MAthilde pushing 50, and Catherine not that far from 40 herself.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:15 AM
Majesty

https://twitter.com/Royaleurope/stat...607744/photo/1

Did anyone recognise the diamond cluster earrings that Maxima was wearing yesterday?
Old 05-05-2020, 05:43 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by muriel View Post

Did anyone recognise the diamond cluster earrings that Maxima was wearing yesterday?

Possibly two centre rosettes from Queen Emma's floral motif diadem?

See: http://hbznl.h-cdn.co/assets/16/45/9...-621562718.jpg
Old 05-05-2020, 05:57 AM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Quote:

They really are a beautiful pair of diamond earrings.
Old 05-05-2020, 06:25 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post

Quote:
They really are a beautiful pair of diamond earrings.
@Duc_et_Pair: I think you are right, they do look like they come from Queen Emma's tiara.

@An Ard Ri: They are a great pair of earrings, and one that Max can use quiet regularly as "everyday" earrings.

What I am intrigued by is they indeed were from Queen Emma's tiara, will that tiara soom re-emerge with some other coloured stones? I always thought the ruby centre setting in Queen Emma's tiara, as used by Laurentien, had potential, if the two side elements also had co-ordinated colour stones. Might we see Amethysts, sapphires, turquoises or even citrines appear in Queen Emma's tiara?
Old 05-05-2020, 08:04 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
@Duc_et_Pair: I think you are right, they do look like they come from Queen Emma's tiara.

@An Ard Ri: They are a great pair of earrings, and one that Max can use quiet regularly as "everyday" earrings.

What I am intrigued by is they indeed were from Queen Emma's tiara, will that tiara soom re-emerge with some other coloured stones? I always thought the ruby centre setting in Queen Emma's tiara, as used by Laurentien, had potential, if the two side elements also had co-ordinated colour stones. Might we see Amethysts, sapphires, turquoises or even citrines appear in Queen Emma's tiara?
Here you see Queen Beatrix with the three centre stones replaced for rubies:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wwzuuDFNR...Beatrix+10.JPG
Old 05-05-2020, 09:20 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Here you see Queen Beatrix with the three centre stones replaced for rubies:
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-wwzuuDFNR...Beatrix+10.JPG
Looks great. Hope Max has a go with some other coloured stones.
Old 05-05-2020, 12:13 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:

Another possibility: the two smallest rosettes topping the "Stuart" :

https://www.wmagazine.com/wp-content...224px&w=1536px
Old 05-05-2020, 12:28 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Another possibility: the two smallest rosettes topping the "Stuart" :

https://www.wmagazine.com/wp-content...224px&w=1536px
I do not think that is correct, as the solitaire diamonds at the centre of the two smallest rosettes topping the "Stuart" are substantially larger than those that Maxima wore yesterday.
Old 05-27-2020, 03:00 AM
Administrator

modekoninginmaxima counted that the Queen has worn 17 tiaras since she has become a member of the Dutch RF:

https://www.modekoninginmaxima.nl/ju...ddels-gedragen

I believe the only tiaras of the collection that Queen Máxima has never worn are the laurel and the ears of wheat tiaras.
Old 05-27-2020, 06:26 AM
Majesty

Quote:
modekoninginmaxima counted that the Queen has worn 17 tiaras since she has become a member of the Dutch RF:

I believe the only tiaras of the collection that Queen Máxima has never worn are the laurel and the ears of wheat tiaras.
I think that is correct. Max has done a good job of working through the collection and settling on the 6-7 tiara's and their variations that work for her.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:08 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:

Yes, the laurel and ears-of-wheat tiaras are still on her to-do list. Though I'm not sure that she likes them very much, or she would already have worn them. But I wonder if she'll come up with some more nice ideas for creating new tiara versions in the future. She was the first to be seen with the small setting of the Stuart tiara, or the enthronement version of the large sapphire tiara. The small sapphire tiara, the pearl version of the emerald parure, the festoon necklace tiara all appeared since she joined the family. I hope that she will come up with some more surprises for us.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Tiara wise I am not sure we are in for many more surprises. She has resuscitated the Dutch tiaras collection in a way that surpassed the expectations. The only mystery that is there is if upper part of the old Van Kempen tiara is still around, as one poster at the RJWMB claimed in the past.

The Laurel and Ears of Wheat tiaras I do not expect on the Queen any more but you never know. They will be great starting tiaras for the Princess of Orange of course. As the Laurel tiara was the first tiara worn by Pss Beatrix it would be nice to see it on the princess in a few years.

Tags
jewels, queen maxima