Queen Ingrid Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Queen Igrid had 10 grandchildren,5 by Anne-Marie (Greek), 3 by Benedikte (German), and 2 by Margrethe,
Frederik got the beautiful ruby set
what did the other 9 grandchildren receive ??
Joachim - Pavlos,Alexia,Nikolaos,Theodora,Philippos - Gustav,Alexasndra,Nathalie?????????????????

For example Alexia got a big diamond and ruby brooch which Queen Ingrid often used togetehr twith the ruby Parure but it was no part of it.

I love the Floral Aigrette. :flowers:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 110% sure :)
This is how it looked when worn on a frame in a traditional tiara setting. Queen Ingrid only ever wore it like this.

:previous: Thank you. Now I know the difference I have to admit that my preference for style goes to Margethe, as exemplified by the way she wore it to Frederik and Mary's wedding. Utterly fabulous and envy inspiring. :flowers:

Not a problem :)

Personally, I much prefer the the way it was worn by Queen Ingrid. Queen Margrethe wore it like this during the first half of her reign, but later adapted it to it's current form.

I hope the Crown Princess chooses to wear it (pressuming it's left to the crown which imo, it should be) in it's original setting.

Madame Royale, I'd also like to see the future Queen Mary wearing the tiara in it's big version, but why shall Margrethe II leave it to the Crown? This was personal gift/bequeath (can't remember) to the late Queen Ingrid and Denmark has little to do with it. If you don't want the floral tiara to be the personal property of either Frederik or Mary, then the family foundation seems to be an option.

Bobby

I think it should be left to the crown (meaning the family foundation for the use of the Queen, whether they be regnant or consort) because it's an extraordinarily versatile piece.

I can't imagine the tiara would be bequethed, personally, to Mary from Margrethe. That would be quite the substantial gift. Whereas if it is made part of the family foundation, it's ownership is henceforth secured for the use of any reigning consort or monarch.

Well Madame, lets distinguish Crown property from property of the family foundation.
In terms of Danish royal jewel Crown property are the Rosenborg diamonds and the emerald parure. As you might know these can't leave the Kingdom and hence are worn only inside Denmark.
Examples for Foundation jewels are the pearl parure and the Baden palmette tiara.

Assuming that someday the worst happens and the monarchy in Denmark is abolished, the diamond set and the ememralds will continue being property of the Danish state, but no royal will use them. Whereas the jewels in the FF will still be used by the family.

From your post, however, I understand that we have the same opinion - the floral tiara should be left to the FF for the use of future Queens regnant or consort.

Bobby

The Baden palmette tiara is not part of the foundation. it was private property of Queen Ingrid and now from Queen Margrethe.

Thanks for the correction, Stefan! The rest is correct, isn't it?

Is there a list of jewel that are in the family's foundation?

Bobby

Are there any pictures of the palmette tiara being worn by anybody else than Margrethe II? Also it was in possession of Queen Ingrid she never seems to have worn it.

Are there any pictures of the palmette tiara being worn by anybody else than Margrethe II? Also it was in possession of Queen Ingrid she never seems to have worn it.
There is a photo of Grand Duchess Luise of Baden wearing it. Queen Ingrid never wore it in public.

Thank you Stefan. I tried to google for it, but it didn't come up. Do you have a link?
The RJB now has a nice banner of Queen Ingrid with the 5 different tiaras: the floral aigrette, emerald parure, pearl parure, ruby parure and the Khedive of Egypt tiara - a truely majestic royal lady!
Royal Jewels of the World Message Board

Thank you Stefan. I tried to google for it, but it didn't come up. Do you have a link?
No sorry don't have it. I have seen it but not saved on my PC. I remember now Princess Alexandra zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg wore the tiara for the Gala at the Royal Theater at the occasion of Queen margrethe's 60th birthday in 2000. Have also no photo from this occasion but some time ago it was posted on the Royal Jewels MB.

Not to stray off topic too much, but I for one was very surprised that the diamond and sapphire brooch which first came to Denmark with Alexandrine of Mecklenberg-Schwerin is now in the possession of Princess Marie.

That brooch is the perfect example of something that should have been made part of the Family Foundation, imo.

Dividing up the personal jewellery at the Queen's disposal is not a particularly wise thing to do, I don't think. I'd suggest that they acquire some pearls or something (for Marie) but resist the temptation to pass out historical pieces that deserve to remain within the immediate inheriting line.

From your post, however, I understand that we have the same opinion - the floral tiara should be left to the FF for the use of future Queens regnant or consort.

Precisely.

I definately agree that each royal house needs to take steps to ensure that the "core" of each family's collection of jewels is not handed out outside the main line. Each family can decide whether they need a foundation to achieve that, or will each monarch be disciplined enough to manage without a foundation.

Not to stray off topic too much, but I for one was very surprised that the diamond and sapphire brooch which first came to Denmark with Alexandrine of Mecklenberg-Schwerin is now in the possession of Princess Marie.
I agree with you but as i understand it the Items in the Family Founation (or Fideikomiss) is for the use of the monarch not the entire Family. There is also Furniture and Artworks belonging to it. I also think othjer Items who belonged to Queen Ingrid (like the Khedive tiara) should have been made part of a Family Foundation where the Family members cann borrow Jewels if needed (like in the Netherlands).

I never knew that Queen Margrethe shares her jewels! She should do that more often.
Imo it would be ideal to keep the important jewels in a foundation to keep them in the main line, while members of the extended family may borrow them. So the younger children and their offspring would have access to their family heirlooms while still keeping them safe for the throne.

At that time it suill belonged to Queen Ingrid. She also still owned the diamond pearl and star tiara now in the posession of Princess Benedikte, but it was on permanent loan to Benedikte who shared it with her daughters.

At that time it suill belonged to Queen Ingrid. She also still owned the diamond pearl and star tiara now in the posession of Princess Benedikte, but it was on permanent loan to Benedikte who shared it with her daughters.
This is intriguing! So at Queen Ingrid’s death Princess Benedikte handed back the Baden palmette tiara, and received the star tiara as an heirloom? I just checked my (albeit small) photo archive and noticed that I don’t have any pictures of a younger Queen Margrethe wearing the palmette tiara.

This is intriguing! So at Queen Ingrid’s death Princess Benedikte handed back the Baden palmette tiara, and received the star tiara as an heirloom? I just checked my (albeit small) photo archive and noticed that I don’t have any pictures of a younger Queen Margrethe wearing the palmette tiara.

I think the Baden palmette tiara was sort of a permanent loan to Queen Margrethe but still owned by Queen Ingrid. She has worn it in the 60's a lot for example for her pre-Wedding Festivities. As far as i know Princess Benedikte has worn it only on time. And in 200 it was loaned to Alexandra SWB.

I think the Baden palmette tiara was sort of a permanent loan to Queen Margrethe but still owned by Queen Ingrid. She has worn it in the 60's a lot for example for her pre-Wedding Festivities. As far as i know Princess Benedikte has worn it only on time. And in 200 it was loaned to Alexandra SWB.
I think I completely misunderstood your earlier post.
On the Foro Dinastias I found two (not very clear) photos of Queen Ingrid wearing the star tiara.
http://inlinethumb44.webshots.com/47147/2104825590105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
http://inlinethumb43.webshots.com/30314/2316878330105578647S600x600Q85.jpg
If I'm not mistaken she wears the necklace she wears is the corsage which later was turned into a tiara for Anne-Marie.
And here is an interesting picture of Queen Anne-Marie wearing the star tiara and Princess Alexia is wearing her mother's two diamond stars in her hair. Unfortunately Princess Benedikte is out of focus in the background, but it looks like she's wearing her floral tiara.
http://inlinethumb62.webshots.com/44029/2539799600105578647S600x600Q85.jpg

How I love that star tiara! There are only a handful that I can think of off-hand--Maxima's wedding tiara, the Wurtenburg (spelled it wrong, I know) ruby stars tiara, and I believe a Mountbattent tiara. Star tiaras are wonderfully whimsical!

Regarding Marie receiving the sapphire brooch of Queen Alexandrine's--it would appear that Margrethe did not learn her lesson after Princess Alexandra unfortunante situation with the Alexandrine diamond drop tiara. However, perhaps Margrethe felt she needed to pass a family piece onto Marie in much the same way she passed the tiara onto Alexandra. Just a thought.

I also think othjer Items who belonged to Queen Ingrid (like the Khedive tiara) should have been made part of a Family Foundation where the Family members cann borrow Jewels if needed (like in the Netherlands).
It seems that the DRF didn't think they had the need to put her jewels in a Foundation. It might be because they didn't feel it was important to preserve her Swedish tiaras because they were her very personal property and she was the one to decide what to do with them. I was very suprised when Anne Marie got the Khedive but then I realised that by giving away that tiara Queen Ingrid was being just fair , giving a more or less equal share of her jewels to each daughter - Margethe now has the Baden Palmette and the turquoise bandeau, Benedikte the star and pearls tiara and Anne Marie the Khedive

Not to get off topic, but WOW, I didn't know Queen Ingrid had such a kickin body! She was a very stunning young woman. And I adore the tiara. It looks fantastic on Queen Ingrid and Anne-Marie.

Back
Top Bottom