Queen Elizabeth II: Tiaras, Necklaces etc 2: Nov 2007-Dec 2015

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Thomas Parker idk where u get ur info but its not called The Princess Vladmir Tiara it is called : THE GRAND DUCHESS VLADIMR TIARA .

Cheers , Brent Rebbe von Behrens II

Boris - Are you sure this is the first outing of this sapphire parure? I am reasonably sure I have seen it previously, though can't seem to recall where.

It was in the DVD Queens Castle QEII wore it to a reception.

Dear Warren I have a therory to run by you. Since the Qu Mums death in 2002 [god rest her soul] I've noticed QEII has been wearing some big chunky jewels from Qu Mary era not seen since 1950's such as Qu Mary's stomacher at jubilee sovereign get together in 2004. Also the very large diamond brooch worn on sash with Nik Sarkozy dinner at Windsor worn by Qu Alexandra. I'm suggesting that since her mums death she has got onto these very large and old pieces that may have been tucked away and forgotten about perhaps? What do you think? has anyone else noticed. regards to one and all.

What do you think? has anyone else noticed. regards to one and all.
Sure have, Tarlita. The Queen's overall style has definitely changed. The new "White" look, white crystal beaded dress, white hair, white gloves . . . . . and . . . ta da!!!!!! The very white and sparkly Kolkoshnik plus earrings, plus bracelets. :wub:

And then there is the all white with the Burmese Ruby Tiara and Swag necklace and earrings and the huge Sunburst brooch and diamond bracelets worn as a parure and then there's the all white with the Kolkoshnik and huge Dubai Sapphire necklace and earrings , and . . . . . . etc. :wub:

She seems to be styling her Gala wear to showcase all the fabulous jewelry she has and seems to be wearing more of it. Yummy!! :w00t:

Let the vaults open up. :w00t2::w00t2:

Did anybody recognise the earrings HM was wearing at the Garter ceremony yesterday?

The King George VI Victorian Suite Saphire Necklace

Hi everyone.​

I am a Jewellery making and design student in Australia and am currently doing a project where I have to compare two pieces of jewellery from two different era's .​

I decided to compare present bling jewellery with The Queen Elizabeth II's jewellery as they no doubt are very similar.​

But the only problem is I have been struggling to find the sort of information Im looking for which will make this presentation work.
So I thought I'd try my luck with you guys as it is due the day after next:bang:

I've decided to compare this piece from Jacob & Co's collection (the first pic) with what I understand is called "The King George VI Victorian Suite," the sapphire necklace King George gave to Queen Elizabeth II(pic 2)​

If anybody knows anything on The King George VI Victorian Suite I would much appreciate it.​

I'm after any information about the size of the sapphires used, number of surrounding diamonds, the jeweller King George used etc.
The Garter Riband which the sapphires apparently perfectly matched.
And also any information about the Queens personal jewellery preferences she had, from favourite metal, to favourite stone to favourite style etc.. haha anything will help​

Thanks in advance everyone​

Oh yeh, first post woooo!​

Last edited by a moderator:
HM always wears the George IV tiara for the journey to & from the State Opening of Parliament. I don't believe there has been any of these occasions (for the Houses of Parliament in London State Opening) that she has gone bareheaded - - - unless someone has evidence to the contrary. HM wears full state regalia with her ermine trimmed robe & full length gown with opera gloves, so would never go without accompanying headgear....

She doesn't put on the robes or other regalia until after she arrives at the House of Lords. There is, in fact, a specific room set aside for the sole purpose of putting on the Robe and Imperial State Crown.

repeat

I'm aware that she puts on her cloak & changes her diadem for the Crown once she arrives at the Houses of Parliament, but she does travel in her evening dress & gloves and therefore never does the (UK) ride without the appropriate headgear - namely the George IV diadem.
:flowers:

*shrug* Okay. I thought I had seen footage of her en route but bareheaded.

One or two tiaras

What is the difference between the "Girls of Great Britain and Ireland" tiara and the "Ladies of England" tiara. Both belonged to Queen Mary, but look very similar, or is it?

Does anybody know when the next State banquet / toiara toting event is? Can't wait to see what HM / Camilla might pull out for the vaults!

Sorry my mistake of course its the Vladimir tiara but i was thinking about the emeralds that are used in the Tiara which are form the Cambridge emerald set :flowers:

Some other nice pictures of her jewels
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion Ruby and diamond necklace
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion The Delhi Durbar Necklace
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion Nizam of Hyderabad necklace
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion Her "Best" diamonds from South Africa
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/m...on/object.asp?exhibs=BPSO2006jewellery&item=8 Aquamarine and diamond necklace
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/e...tion=RT2&exhibs=RT2gems&object=9200001&row=19 Tiara used by the Queen Mum for many years currently on show in the Queens Gallery
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/royalwedding1947/object.asp?row=9&exhibs=NONE&grouping= Sapphire and diamond suite of necklace and earrings
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/royalwedding1947/object.asp?row=10&exhibs=NONE&grouping= Ruby and diamond necklace from Mrs Greville - much larger than it appears when seen in real life
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/royalwedding1947/object.asp?row=54&exhibs=NONE&grouping= Queen Anne’ and ‘Queen Caroline’ pearl necklaces
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/microsites/royalwedding1947/object.asp?row=38&exhibs=NONE&grouping= Gold and Jade necklace - never remember the Queen wearing this but maybe someone can help

Some earrings, braclets worn by the Queen
Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding= Duchess of Teck’s earrings- worn in 1947 on her wedding day
Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding= Pair of pearl drop earrings, c.1947 - i have not yet seen a picture of the Queen wearing these (maybe someone could help or maybe they form part of her massive vault)
Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding= Ladies of Devonshire’ earrings (much bigger in real life)
Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding= Pair of gold and diamond bangles, late 19th century
Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding= 'County of Cornwall' bracelet, 1893
Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding= diamond chandelier earrings- beautiful but very big
Royal Collection - A Royal Wedding= Gift of a diamond braclett from Pfillip to his bride made from his mother's tiara - a very big piece
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion Sapphire and diamond bracelet- a beautiful and dainty piece which would really suit the younger royals
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion Emerald, diamond, platinum and gold bracelet
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion Gold, platinum, sapphire, diamond and ruby bracelet- 5th wedding anniversary present
Royal Collection - Dress for the Occasion Aquamarine and diamond bracelet
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/m...n/object.asp?exhibs=BPSO2006jewellery&item=25 Pair of emerald and diamond earrings
http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/m...n/object.asp?exhibs=BPSO2006jewellery&item=27 Pair of aquamarine and diamond earrings

Hi everyone.

Does anyone know ANYTHING about the Victorian Suite King George gave Queen Elizabeth 2?
Anything about the saphires used, which metal it was made in ANYTHING!

or anything about the jeweller who made the piece

Ah im not sure exactly which one it is. But it was the one which was made in the 1850(not sure how accurate it is seeing as that means he had it made for her before he was born and well before she was too) and was given to Elizabeth in 1947 as a wedding gift from her father King George. If that doesn't help its a necklace which consists of 15 oblong blue saphires, which apparently matched a garder or something(soz cant remember), and each saphire is surrounded by diamonds, which are all connected together by colet diamonds. I would post a pic but last time it got removed with a warning about copyright.

Sapphire and Diamond Suite

There's a picture here.

Leslie Field in The Jewels of Queen Elizabeth II describes it thus:

In 1947 King George gave Princess Elizabeth as a wedding gift a long necklace of oblong sapphires surrounded by round diamonds and separated by diamond collets. To match it there was a pair of free-swinging, square-shaped sapphire earrings, bordered with diamonds and hanging from three collet stones. The suite was made around 1850. The colour of the stones exactly matched the blue of the Garter Riband. In 1952 the Queen had the necklace shortened by removing the largest stone, plus one of the smallest sapphires, and in 1959 a pendant was made using the big stone [which could be attached to the centre of the necklace as shown in the picture above].

Neither Field nor Suzy Menkes in her book The Royal Jewels offer any explanation as to provenance.

The tiara: In 1963 a new sapphire and diamond tiara and bracelet were made to match the original pieces.

Last edited:
The sapphire tiara which completed QE II’s parure in 1963 is far from newly made, but actually a converted necklace which was bought by the Queen at the time.
The necklace was made in the first half of the 19th century and belonged to Princess Louise, daughter of King Leopold II of Belgium.
It’s no surprise to me that the British Court wasn’t forthcoming with the details as they seem to be very guarded when it comes to jewelry purchased by the current Queen during her reign.
Thanks to gil10 on the RJWMB who provided the info based on Christophe Vachaudez’ discovery – see this thread:
http://members2.boardhost.com/royal-jewels/msg/1216928518.html

EIIR Sapphire Tiara - provenance

So that it's not lost here is a pic of Princess Louise of Belgium wearing the diamond and sapphire necklace/stomacher which was used to make the 1963 tiara of Queen Elizabeth.

• thanks to Boris for bringing this to our attention
• Pic courtesy of and originally posted by gil10 at RJOTWMB
• Research by Christophe Vachaudez and appearing in Royals No74 - August 2008

- copyright has expired -

Attachments

• EIIR Sapphire necklace of Princess Louise of Belgium, made into the 1963 tiara.jpg
    EIIR Sapphire necklace of Princess Louise of Belgium, made into the 1963 tiara.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 1,560
Last edited:
No, Warren - I am very sorry but you mixed up two seperate pieces here... just follow the RJWMB thread more carefully.
The sapphire tiara of Princess Louise pictured above is now in the possession of jewelers Van Cleef & Arpels.
It’s Princess Louise’s matching sapphire necklace which was bought by the Queen ca. 1963 and converted into the tiara she wears today.
Princess Louise is wearing the Queen’s tiara as a necklace-stomacher in the photograph included in this RJMB post by gil10:
http://members2.boardhost.com/royal-jewels/msg/1216930232.html

One thing that really amazes me is the fact that QEII has the most Vast privately and state owned collection, yet is the most modest in many ways, she has her 2/3 tiaras she always wears. I admire it!:)

Two or three tiaras? In recent years following her mother’s death, QE II has worn the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara (in three different versions), Queen Mary's Girls of GB & Ireland tiara, the aquamarine tiara, the ruby circlet, modern ruby tiara, sapphire tiara, Queen Alexandra’s kokoshnik tiara…

When was the last time the Queen wore her wedding tiara?
I do agree that the Queen has a magnificant collection of jewels--but Queen Silvia's jewel box is just as impressive. I'd love to see those two glittering ladies together!

Two or three tiaras? In recent years following her mother’s death, QE II has worn the Grand Duchess Vladimir tiara (in three different versions), Queen Mary's Girls of GB & Ireland tiara, the aquamarine tiara, the ruby circlet, modern ruby tiara, sapphire tiara, Queen Alexandra’s kokoshnik tiara…
What I meant is that she wears most of the time 3 tiaras: Kokoshnick, GD Valdemir and Girls of GB, the rest she wears sparingly.

When was the last time the Queen wore her wedding tiara?
I do agree that the Queen has a magnificant collection of jewels--but Queen Silvia's jewel box is just as impressive. I'd love to see those two glittering ladies together!
Whilst Silvia's collection is admirable, we have to rememer a few points:
*The Jewels she wears belong mostly to the Bernadotte foundation, when Victoria becomes queen, she gets precedence regarding jewels.
*QEII private jewels, are by far much more than Silvia's
*Whilst we know all of QSilvia's jewel box inside out, as she has worn them all, there are many trinkets inherited, or given as a gift to the Queen that have not seen daylight in many years.

I have to agree that QEII has an unbelievable amount of personal (and Crown) jewels at her disposal and the mystery of having not seen pieces for decades is intriguing. I do wish she would wear more--I would especially like to see Queen Alexandra's Rundell Tiara which was given to her by King Edward VII as a wedding gift. Field states that the tiara was one of the pieces that Mary and George made sure remained with the crown (I believe it was all wedding gifts that they kept when Queen Alexandra's jewels were divided). It is such an impressive piece--perhaps we'll see Camilla in it. I have grown tired of the Honeycomb.
I do wish we could see what those Kent amethyst hair combs look like....

Here's the one and only time so far, regrettably, that QE II and Queen Silvia appeared together in all their respective glittering splendour -
the welcoming state banquet for Queen Elizabeth at Stockholm Palace during her state visit to Sweden in 1983:
IBL Bildbyrå | 0435 44 07 65

I'm almost blinded by the flash of all those diamonds! Beautiful, thank you for sharing the photograph Boris! What wonderful pieces.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom