Other Danish Royal and Noble Jewellery

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it was Josefine who turned 5 this year and presumably got her bracelet, Athena still has to wait for hers. I wonder if there is also a tradition regarding gifts for the boys.

such a sweet tradition. is it a recent tradition? (ie. just this generation of children - isabella, josephine and athena?)
i wonder if older royals received theirs, even if when older for another birthday involving the number 5 :) (35, 45...)

Carlota, the blog posted above answers the first part of your question. The Connaught Princesses Margaret and Patricia already had one of unknown origin, and Princess (later Queen) Ingrid already received one as a child.

such a sweet tradition. is it a recent tradition? (ie. just this generation of children - isabella, josephine and athena?)
i wonder if older royals received theirs, even if when older for another birthday involving the number 5 :) (35, 45...)

the post didnt work for me but here is another post explaining the tradition. (and a lot of pictures of various princesses with their bracelets)
It is very sweet.
Margaret of Connaught's Gold Bracelet | The Court Jeweller

Queen Margrethe didnt have any daughters so she had to wait until she had grand-daughters, but Anne-Marie and Benedikte did pass on the tradition to their daughters.
Josephine would have received hers this month as she turned 5, Athena still has one more year to go :flowers:

the post didnt work for me but here is another post explaining the tradition. (and a lot of pictures of various princesses with their bracelets)
It is very sweet.

Queen Margrethe didnt have any daughters so she had to wait until she had grand-daughters, but Anne-Marie and Benedikte did pass on the tradition to their daughters.
Josephine would have received hers this month as she turned 5, Athena still has one more year to go :flowers:

"Only direct female descendants participate in the tradition, so while you see Crown Princess Mary wearing pieces of Ingrid's jewelry, you won't see her (or Princess Marie, or any of the wives of the Greek princes) wearing one of these bracelets."

IIRC, I've seen photos of Mary wearing a similar bracelet.

... and the next after Athena will be Louisa Johannsmann, Princess Nathalie's little daughter.

yes :flowers:
Its nice that all three sisters, Margrethe, Benedikte and Anne-Marie have passed this tradition on to their daughters and granddaughters

Carlota, the blog posted above answers the first part of your question. The Connaught Princesses Margaret and Patricia already had one of unknown origin, and Princess (later Queen) Ingrid already received one as a child.

the blog post was actually removed.
thanks to polyesco for adding another blog post covering this.

When Crown Prince Haakon turned 18 in 1991, Countess Ruth of Rosenborg wore a long necklace of collet-set diamonds (and three long strands of pearls). The necklace was previously worn by her grandmother-in-law Princess Ingeborg. Is it known where the necklace came from and what happened to it?
Here is a link to a picture of the two wearing the sautoir - Link

Birthday bracelets of the Danish royal women:

Birthday Jewels: Princess Athena Turns Five | The Court Jeweller

What a lovely tradition.

It is very sweet.

and the lovely tradition has now reached Josephine, you can spot her bracelet here
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2016/05/17/19/3447FC2700000578-3595366-image-a-1_1463509500443.jpg

Looking at the court jeweller I see a lovely closeup of a diamond E pendant with a wonderful emerald. Of course Princess Elizabeth has the only surviving Coronation brooch from Tsar Nicholas II s coronation in 1894, I think it was. The Tsar gifted the Grand Duchesses one of these brooches each.

Looking at the court jeweller I see a lovely closeup of a diamond E pendant with a wonderful emerald. Of course Princess Elizabeth has the only surviving Coronation brooch from Tsar Nicholas II s coronation in 1894, I think it was. The Tsar gifted the Grand Duchesses one of these brooches each.
Probably inherited from her great-grandmother Anastasia Mikhailovna.

Yes I believe AM gave it to her daughter Alexandrine who passed it to her daughter in law Princess Caroline wife of Prince Knud. Then to there daughter Princess Elizabeth. It is fascinating how many jewels get passed around.

Yes I believe AM gave it to her daughter Alexandrine who passed it to her daughter in law Princess Caroline wife of Prince Knud. Then to there daughter Princess Elizabeth. It is fascinating how many jewels get passed around.
The Knud branch of the Glucksburgs sits on a lot of historical jewellery. Hopefully it won't all be auctioned off by Feodora, Camilla and Josephine.

I agree with you. That Coronation brooch must be worth quite a bit by now.

Two sapphire tiaras and more small jewels from Prince Knud 's heirloom on display.

I can understand that the 3 daughters of the late Count Christian may need the money for having a better life . They will never wear big tiaras anymore.

It would be nice if the main line could buy these tiaras and other heirlooms. But I am not sure if they can compete with the market value of such items at an auction. The Russian angle makes it all interesting for collectors and the nouveau riche, if they were ever to be auctioned of.

I supposed Princess Elisabeth left a will including who will inherit her jewellery. Either her three nieces or the main line, or divided between the two.
She could also left them to be sold for a charity.

The relationship between Prince Knud and Princess Caroline Mathide with King Frederick and Queen Ingrid was not warm.
I don't know how is the relationship with their Children ?

Young Countesses prefer money to have a great modern life. This happen already in other royal families. Actually the 2 important Auctions or Infanta Alice de Boueron grand jewels.

The Russians would love to get their hands on that Coronation brooch because of its provenance. Easily see a bidding war for it. Especially as it is the only surviving one left.

It would be nice if the main line could buy these tiaras and other heirlooms. But I am not sure if they can compete with the market value of such items at an auction. The Russian angle makes it all interesting for collectors and the nouveau riche, if they were ever to be auctioned of.

So far the sapphire tiara worn by Countess Anne-Dorte has not been seen at auction. I think if the danish RF would buy some of the Jewels back it would be in a private sale and not be made public. We would only know of it if them item in question is worn y one of the danish royal laides.

Last edited:
So far the sapphire tiara worn by Countess Anne-Dorte has not been seen at auction. I think if the danish RF would buy some of the Jewels back it would be in a privatge sale and n ot be made public., We would only know of it if them item in question is worn y one of the danish royal laides.
I agree, If the Queen or Frederik are interested in buying any of the jewels, they will do so privately. Should anything be offered to auction houses, that probably means that the the Queen is not interested. Maybe the Princess has already sold some pieces to her cousin, as it is known that she also had to sell her house a few years ago. But even if the RF has bought, or will buy some of Princess Elisabeth's jewel, it will probably take many years till they are seen again.

Back
Top Bottom