King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie current events 2: Dec 2005 - Nov 2006

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Greeks tend to have their major events in Greece or Spain, which may be easier for the Spaniards to attend. Also, Juan Carlos and Felipe, the monarch and the heir, are frequently absent. Just Sofia, her daughters, and Irene. So it's not like the whole Spanish clan is there.

The Danes are somewhat limited in who can come because one adult in line to the throne (excluding Princess Elisabeth who's not a member of the Council) must be in the country at all times unless special permission is sought and received (I think the PM must okay it). This shouldn't be that difficult now, with Margrethe, Benedikte, Frederik and Joachim all eligible, but Margrethe may have duties to attend to, Benedikte had a sick husband for a while, Frederik has a baby to attend to, and Joachim has a farm to run. They may all have something else to do.

When Greek events were being held in London, the Danes were around more, but Ingrid was also alive then, so she may have been responsible for rounding up her brood.

The Greeks are always at Danish events, yes, but it's not like they have royal duties to attend to. They have a lot more free time on their hands.

I keep hearing from GRMB & FIRMB, about this christmas card released by the King, that photoshoped Carlos in?
any idea what that is?
thanks...

Juan Carlos v Constantine

Queen Frederika was glamorous and a beauty. But she had two drawbacks for the Greek RF. She was German-Prussian with a pro-nazi history and she meddled in politics for right-wing causes. These probably weighed heavily against Constantine. A Greek citizen may have thought "So Constantine is good, but his mother wasn't and maybe his heir won't be either."

I agree with Susan Alicia that Pavlos' marriage pretty much wipes out any chance that Greece will return to a monarchy.:(

Constantine was the King of the Hellenes until 1967 and reigned in Greece. He has the right to use his style as a formerly reigning Sovereign, which will end with his death.

Constantine was king of the Hellenes until the referendum abolishing the monarchy. Just because he fled in 1967 doesn't mean he lost his throne then. He was still king, just in exile.

kelly9480 said:
Constantine was king of the Hellenes until the referendum abolishing the monarchy. Just because he fled in 1967 doesn't mean he lost his throne then. He was still king, just in exile.

Right. Costantine left Greece in 1968, but he was the King of the Hellenes till 1974, until the Referendum abolishing the Monarchy. Nevertheless, in the social behavior he keeps his title of King, even if this title has no any legal or political meaning.
Francly speeking, I do not see were is the problem to debate about this title. In the same way that a former President, a Minister or an Ambassador keep their titles, why a former King should abandon his title??? It was something like his "job title", he can keep it.:cool:

They go to the danish events. Do they speak danish? What language do they speak with danish relatives?

Last edited by a moderator:
Anne-Marie speaks Danish, but Constantine doesn't, so he probably speaks English.

kelly9480 said:
Anne-Marie speaks Danish, but Constantine doesn't, so he probably speaks English.

so what language did they speak during their courtship?

They both speak English and German, but they probably spoke English until she learned Greek.

Former King Constantin of Greece and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece attend the Womens Snowboard Parallel Giant Slalom Final on Day 13 of the 2006 Turin Winter Olympic Games on February 23, 2006 in Bardonecchia, Italy.

from getty

Attachments

• 56919718.jpg
    56919718.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 374
Isn't he (Constantin) Prince William of England's godfather?

fandesacs2003 said:
Right. Costantine left Greece in 1968, but he was the King of the Hellenes till 1974, until the Referendum abolishing the Monarchy. Nevertheless, in the social behavior he keeps his title of King, even if this title has no any legal or political meaning.
Francly speeking, I do not see were is the problem to debate about this title. In the same way that a former President, a Minister or an Ambassador keep their titles, why a former King should abandon his title??? It was something like his "job title", he can keep it.:cool:

The 'official' problem of the greek mainly left-wing politicians is not the title rather the fact that he used to use "Former King of Greece" as a surname in his passport, which I can not understand why should he give up, since that is the only true
However, what drives me mad is not these reactions, rather than the fact that they do not show respect to somebody who was legally the head and symbol of their nation for years. :confused:

http://www.greekroyalfamily.gr/index.cfm?get=news&show=news&ItemID=166

TM King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie attended the Torino Winter Olympics.
27 February 2006

TM King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie attended the Torino Winter Olympics.
As member of the International Olympic Committee, King Constantine presented the Olympic Medals to the winning teams of the Women’s Biathlon Relay.

photos caption :
1 - At the medal ceremony, with the delegates of the Diathlon Federation and the Russian IOC member Mr Vitaly Smirnov.
2 - HM King Constantine presents the medals to the winning teams of the Diathlon Relay.
3 - HM King Constantine with the IOC president Mr. Jacques Rogge.

Attachments

• Torino201.jpg
    Torino201.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 281
  • Torino202.jpg
    Torino202.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 274
  • torino%2031.jpg
    torino%2031.jpg
    76.4 KB · Views: 261
Brief history lesson: After Constantine forced the resignation of George Papandreou, in 1967 a military junta took over, and after Constantine tried (and failed) in a countercoup to win control of Greece back, he went to Italy. The military ruled until 1974, when democracy was restored and a referendum abolished the monarchy. There's a lot more to it than that, really, but I didn't know how much detail you wanted to hear.;)

Jackswife said:
Brief history lesson: After Constantine forced the resignation of George Papandreou, in 1967 a military junta took over, and after Constantine tried (and failed) in a countercoup to win control of Greece back, he went to Italy. The military ruled until 1974, when democracy was restored and a referendum abolished the monarchy. There's a lot more to it than that, really, but I didn't know how much detail you wanted to hear.;)

Slight but important detail: Constantine was not allowed to come to Greece before the referendum of 1974 and speek for monarchy
Hence, he has not abdicated yet

Are TM speding Easter holidays in Greece?

Does anyone know whether TM are going to Greece for Easter holidays? They did so the last two years, didn't they?
I may be lucky enough to be in the same flight!:eek:

thanks very much.

Jackswife said:
Yes I will like to know more about it please:)

ChevalieurduCiel said:
....:mad: Go ask the Planetarchs!!
I didn't want to offend anybody,I like all this family very much and when I like somebody i like to know about them thats all.:)

miaamor said:
I didn't want to offend anybody,I like all this family very much and when I like somebody i like to know about them thats all.:)

Don't worry you are entitled to ask questions like that and no one should blame you for that:)

miaamor said:
Yes I will like to know more about it please:)

Constantine becane a King at the age of 24. He had a good relationship with the leader of the central party and Prime Minister Georgios Papandreou, until an insident which occured in 1965.
Georgios Papandreou's son, the later PM Andreas Papandreou, was said to be organising a conspiracy among the army, which would have as a target the overthrowing of monarchy and establishing a communist regime. In the general elections of 1965 Georgios Papandreou's party took over 50% of the votes and G. Papandreou was called by the King to organise his government, according to the constitution. With the accusations against his son holding, G. Papandreou claimed holding for himself the ministry of National Defense, which would investigate the accusations for conspiracy. The King refused to sign him having that ministry, since he found it illegal for G.P. to lead a state organ which would judge a conspiracy accusation against his son. Therefore, he proposed G.P. taking the ministry of National Defence and the accusation being judged by the ministry of Justice. G.P. refused, resigned and started a continuous fight against the palace and the King, called the 'anendotos' and giving a speach to the people of Athens where he rhetorically asked: "Who governes this country? The King or the people?". The King gave to other politicians of G.P's party the opportunity to organise the new government, which took around a year and a half, because many of the MPs refused having a government without G.P as a P.M.
Elections were about to be held in May of 1967 again, but a military coup of 3 central generals took over, prisoned most of the MPs and political leaders and tried to convince the King to join them. The King wanted to gain some time and in December of '67 attempted to do an anti-coup which was not successful. So, he left the country with his family.
When the junta came to its end, he was not allowed to come back to the country and take part in the referendum of '74 for the form of the regime. He accepted the result of the referendum which was 69% for republic led by a president, but did not abdicate, since he could not be present. He lives with his family abroad since 1967, yet, the last three years they visit Greece quite often.

Sorry if that was too many historical details. Yet, the truth should never be boring

Does anyone see a resemblance of Queen Anne Marie with Juliw Andrews? They both are so beautiful even in their late 50s.

ChevalieurduCiel said:
....:mad: Go ask the Planetarchs!!
King konstantinos was forced to exile in 1974 after a referendum.In 1967 the army took power,some say the palace supported the coup d etat and the people was turned against him.In 1974 democracy was restored and the parliament voted a new constitution changing the regime into presidential democracy(the head of state is elected by the parliament).The former King did not have the proper consultants at that time.But as he has stated he is looking for a house in Greece for permanent residence

Last edited:
Thanks

iannis said:
Constantine becane a King at the age of 24. He had a good relationship with the leader of the central party and Prime Minister Georgios Papandreou, until an insident which occured in 1965.
Georgios Papandreou's son, the later PM Andreas Papandreou, was said to be organising a conspiracy among the army, which would have as a target the overthrowing of monarchy and establishing a communist regime. In the general elections of 1965 Georgios Papandreou's party took over 50% of the votes and G. Papandreou was called by the King to organise his government, according to the constitution. With the accusations against his son holding, G. Papandreou claimed holding for himself the ministry of National Defense, which would investigate the accusations for conspiracy. The King refused to sign him having that ministry, since he found it illegal for G.P. to lead a state organ which would judge a conspiracy accusation against his son. Therefore, he proposed G.P. taking the ministry of National Defence and the accusation being judged by the ministry of Justice. G.P. refused, resigned and started a continuous fight against the palace and the King, called the 'anendotos' and giving a speach to the people of Athens where he rhetorically asked: "Who governes this country? The King or the people?". The King gave to other politicians of G.P's party the opportunity to organise the new government, which took around a year and a half, because many of the MPs refused having a government without G.P as a P.M.
Elections were about to be held in May of 1967 again, but a military coup of 3 central generals took over, prisoned most of the MPs and political leaders and tried to convince the King to join them. The King wanted to gain some time and in December of '67 attempted to do an anti-coup which was not successful. So, he left the country with his family.
When the junta came to its end, he was not allowed to come back to the country and take part in the referendum of '74 for the form of the regime. He accepted the result of the referendum which was 69% for republic led by a president, but did not abdicate, since he could not be present. He lives with his family abroad since 1967, yet, the last three years they visit Greece quite often.

Sorry if that was too many historical details. Yet, the truth should never be boring
Thank You it's very interesting, I think nobody has the right to throw anybody out fo there country It's very sad. :)
\

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom