The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-03-2020, 03:29 AM
Heir Apparent

Yes, that is a very interesting article about the boy who wrote the book. Thank you, ladongas.

Old 02-03-2020, 03:31 AM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
So...if I understand the article correctly and completely, this entire battle by Delphine was triggered by Albert himself. When she contacted him for advice and guidance on how she should respond to the allegations in the Danneels book, his reply was along the lines of I AM NOT YOUR FATHER. BUZZ OFF AND NEVER CONTACT ME AGAIN!.

My suspicion is that Delphine's anger, not to mention her humiliation,
drove her determination to have Albert publicly acknowledge her. Nothing more. How different might have been the outcome if he had simply responded to her with some compassion and kindness during that crucial phone call.

At least.
You've pretty much hit the nail on the head
And also the affect this has had on her children. "Even though BoŽl may not get a relationship with her father, the acknowledgement, according to Danneels, will give BoŽl peace of mind and justice for her children. That was extremely important to heróthat her children wouldnít have to live with the stigma that she has been living with for 51 years." https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...-delphine-boel

Old 02-03-2020, 03:49 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by rominet09 View Post
Once more I'll say this, in Belgium you CANNOT desinherit your children, Following the new laws she will be entitled to a minimum part of his possessions. Half of his possessions will legally go to his children, and that part will be divided by four now.
Yes I know that. But there may be ways that he can make it a very minmal amount.. I hope he wont.. that he will as a token of amendement leave her a decent amount of money
Old 02-03-2020, 04:22 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladongas View Post
This is quite a story about the 18 year old boy who uncovered the story:

https://www.vanityfair.com/style/202...-delphine-boel
Thank you, an interesting story indeed. It was news to me that Mario Danneels' biography of Queen Paola allocated only a single sentence (!) to the existence of an extramarital child. To see the way the book was received, one would think it was a book about Delphine BoŽl. I suppose Mr. Danneels has a point when he says that for fellow royal watchers, his book was an excuse to publish facts which were apparently already well known in their circles.

Based on what Mr. Danneels learned from acquaintances of King Albert and Queen Paola, it seems that Prince Albert's conception of a child with Baroness Sybille was devastating for Princess Paola and for the already troubled marriage of the Prince and Princess.

Quote:
Once more I'll say this, in Belgium you CANNOT desinherit your children, Following the new laws she will be entitled to a minimum part of his possessions. Half of his possessions will legally go to his children, and that part will be divided by four now.
Except, I suppose, in the improbable but not impossible event that King Albert passes away in the next few months, before Delphine has been recognized in law as his daughter (which is predicted to occur after the next court hearing on June 4). In that event, not being his lawful daughter, the law would not entitle her to a share of his estate, although she could nonetheless inherit a share if he leaves it to her in his testament as he recently promised to do. (Could the courts confer recognition posthumously?)
Old 02-03-2020, 07:12 AM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denville View Post
Yes I know that. But there may be ways that he can make it a very minmal amount.. I hope he wont.. that he will as a token of amendement leave her a decent amount of money
The minimum he can give her is like I wrote ! Of course if he is very rich it will be a nice amount !
Old 02-03-2020, 07:28 AM
Majesty

Quote:
The minimum he can give her is like I wrote ! Of course if he is very rich it will be a nice amount !
Yes but if he were a decent man, trying to make up for his behaviour in the past, he could go a bit further. If he twists his money around to make sure she gets the least possible, he's really being horrible. But I feel that there is a limit to what Delphine can do. If her father shows no sign of wanting to make up for the past, I don't see what she can gain from pursuing him much longer. He is an old man, he may be gone in a few years and maybe all she can hope for is that he did acknowledge her as his child, even if he did so because he had to..
Old 02-08-2020, 07:52 PM
Aristocracy

I know he died many years before Albert broke off communications with Delphine, but is there any kind of opinion on if (and how much) King Baudouin knew about this?

Very different circumstances, but Belgium does have a history of this: Leopold III's younger brother Prince Charles had a daughter who's been received by the family.

Undoubtedly it will take some time, but I'd like to think Philippe and Mathilde can do the gracious thing for Delphine and her family and at least be open to private contact. Perhaps a few of the wounds Albert's inflicted and kept open for so long can finally be healed.
Old 02-09-2020, 02:56 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prinsara View Post
I know he died many years before Albert broke off communications with Delphine, but is there any kind of opinion on if (and how much) King Baudouin knew about this?

Very different circumstances, but Belgium does have a history of this: Leopold III's younger brother Prince Charles had a daughter who's been received by the family.

Undoubtedly it will take some time, but I'd like to think Philippe and Mathilde can do the gracious thing for Delphine and her family and at least be open to private contact. Perhaps a few of the wounds Albert's inflicted and kept open for so long can finally be healed.
Yes King Baudouin knew. The marital problems of the Prince and Princess de LiŤge were well known. The couple wanted to separate and divorce. That was an absolute no-no for King Baudouin. Apart from his own conviction it was also the morale of society Šnd Prince Albert was the King's successor. A divorced and eventually remarried King with a child out of wedlock from an affair during his first marriage? Never!

The King insisted on mediation. And probably was most satisfied that Jonkheer Jacques BoŽl (one of Belgium's wealthiest men) simply accepted Delphine as his daughter, born in his marriage with the baroness Sybille de Selys Longchamps (Albert's maÓtresse). In the end Prince Albert and Princess Paola found a way out, re-found happiness and indeed became Belgium's King and Queen, with quite a high popularity in the first three-quarters of the reign.
Old 02-09-2020, 04:46 AM
Majesty

Maybe they re found happiness but it seems like there were still problems. Albert knew that Delphine was his child.. he must have known that the scandal might one day become more public.. and to just run away from it was not a good move. He and Paola should have agreed that with their marriage mended, if the issue of his daughter came up, Alb would acknowledge that he had been at fault and had a child and that he would accept her. Tehir marriage went through some very bad times, but we've been told that they got over it and had found happiness again.. so they should have been able to accept what had happened in the past...
Old 02-09-2020, 07:41 AM
Heir Apparent

The Documents of the Divorce were ready but its conditions were awful.
Albert de LiŤge could not see much his Children, but more Syille de Selys was absoluely not alowed to see them at all. She said I cannot admit this , I am not a bad Women. And there was no divorce.
Endly , due to the Renouveau Charismatique, Albert and Paola found a Reconcilation and were to gether when they were King and Queen of the Belgians.
Old 02-09-2020, 08:23 AM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria-olivia View Post
The Documents of the Divorce were ready but its conditions were awful.
Albert de LiŤge could not see much his Children, but more Syille de Selys was absoluely not alowed to see them at all. She said I cannot admit this , I am not a bad Women. And there was no divorce.
Endly , due to the Renouveau Charismatique, Albert and Paola found a Reconcilation and were to gether when they were King and Queen of the Belgians.
Why would Sybille not be allowed to see the Royal children? Is that what you mean? It seems to me that Albert coms out looking worse, if he really loved this woman so much he was prepared to think of a divorce to be with her, why reject their daughter?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Maybe they re found happiness but it seems like there were still problems. Albert knew that Delphine was his child.. he must have known that the scandal might one day become more public.. and to just run away from it was not a good move. He and Paola should have agreed that with their marriage mended, if the issue of his daughter came up, Alb would acknowledge that he had been at fault and had a child and that he would accept her. Tehir marriage went through some very bad times, but we've been told that they got over it and had found happiness again.. so they should have been able to accept what had happened in the past...
According the author Mario Danneels (who revealed Delphine to the public) it seems the core of Delphine's problem is Queen Paola. This Italian Donna has her strong pride. "No one plays with the feet of a Ruffo di Calabria!" A formal recognition of Delphine would hit old wounds open and expose her as the betrayed lady, whom has to endure the fruit of her husband's infidelity. A position unacceptable for her. She has her pride. Basta. Mario Danneels claimed Princess Paola agreed with Prince Albert having informal contacts but no more than that. (This indeed did happen. Albert regularly visited Delphine).

When Mario Danneels revealed Delphine, the royal couple more or less acknowledged this in the King's Christmass Address, hoping that this old ghost from the past would fade away. But when Delphine broke the status quo by going full public and insisting on a public recognition by King Albert, it seems it was Queen Paola having the attitude: "Over my dead body! I have my pride. I am the Queen. No way!" Mario Danneels claims that the exhausting blockade to recognize Delphine originates in Queen Paola's pride and it enraged her that this Łber-wealthy kid, born with sixteen silver spoons in her mouth, is ripping open wound after open wound.

So far the theory of Mario Danneels.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:40 AM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
According the author Mario Danneels (who revealed Delphine to the public) it seems the core of Delphine's problem is Queen Paola. This Italian Donna has her strong pride. "No one plays with the feet of a Ruffo di Calabria!" A formal recognition of Delphine would hitold wounds open and exposes her as the betrayed lady, whom has to endure the fruit of her husband's infidelity. A position unacceptable for her. She has her pride. Basta. Mario Danneels claimed Princess Paola agreed with Prince Albert having informal contacts but no more than that. (This indeed did happen. Albert regularly visited Delphine).

When Mario Danneels revealed Delphine, the royal couple more or less acknowledged this in the King's Christmass Address, hoping that this old ghost from the past would fade away. But when Delphine broke the status quo by going full public and insisting on a public recognition by King Albert, it seems it was Queen Paola having the attitude: "Over my dead body! I have my pride. I am the Queen. No way!" Mario Danneels claims that the exhausting blockade to recognize Delphine originates in Queen Paola's pride and it enraged her that this Łber-wealthy kid, born with sixteen silver spoons in her mouth, is ripping open wound after wound.

So far the theory of Mario Danneels.

But wasn't it only after King Albert cut off private contact that Delphine BoŽl began to speak publicly about their relationship? Was Queen Paola (according to Mario Danneels) in agreement with the cutoff of private contact?
Old 02-09-2020, 09:45 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Why would Sybille not be allowed to see the Royal children? Is that what you mean? It seems to me that Albert coms out looking worse, if he really loved this woman so much he was prepared to think of a divorce to be with her, why reject their daughter?
The divorce documents drawn up under Baudouin's supervision had Sybille not being able to (ever) see or meet Albert and Paola's children as one of the conditions of the divorce. Hard to know if Baudouin or Paola or both wanted that stipulation included. Anyway, as Marie Olivia noted, Sybille found this something she could not accept, because she was not a bad woman, and she probably hoped that at some point in the future, if she and Albert stayed together, that she would be able to meet his children.

One interesting aspect of this whole affair is how clearly it has shown that Sybille has more paternal/maternal instincts than Albert and Paola combined. Delphine has always made it clear that her mother and she have a strong relationship, and that Sybille has been a strict but loving mom. Those uninformed persons who write that Delphine was spoiled should listen to one of her interviews: Sybille adored her daughter, but almost went overboard in trying to prevent Delphine having an attachment to material goods. While laughing about it now, Delphine has recalled that after every birthday party she had, Sybille would get Delphine to gather all of the presents she had received, and they would then take these gifts to charity. Mother and daughter might have been financially comfortable, but Sybille was not letting Delphine have whatever she wanted.

Philippe and Astrid have stayed quiet about their parents, but Laurent is a living example of how childhood neglect can effect the adult offspring of two people who were not "hands-on" parents.
Old 02-09-2020, 09:52 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
But wasn't it only after King Albert cut off private contact that Delphine BoŽl began to speak publicly about their relationship? Was Queen Paola (according to Mario Danneels) in agreement with the cutoff of private contact?
Yes, and yes.

It was only after Albert made his 1999 Christmas speech, wherein he subtly confirmed his affair with Sybille and the existence of Delphine, that Delphine called Albert because Sybille had started to be hounded by the press in London and Delphine wanted to find out if Albert could help keep the paps away, that Albert then responded, "Leave me alone. You are not my daughter." In that way, the line of communication between father and daughter that *had* existed since Delphine was born was terminated. Then, Delphine tried to initiate contact through various other private channels, but Albert rebuffed all of these. It was only after ever other option was exhausted that Delphine started to speak publicly.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:24 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Yes. Delphine going public blew up the public status quo which worked perfectly for decades: "You are Jacques & Sybille BoŽl's daughter. But you, and a few insiders, know the Prince de LiŤge is your natural father". This status quo already became wobbly after Mario Danneels' revelations in his book.
Old 02-09-2020, 10:53 AM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair View Post
Yes. Delphine going public blew up the public status quo which worked perfectly for decades: "You are Jacques & Sybille BoŽl's daughter. But you, and a few insiders, know the Prince de LiŤge is your natural father". This status quo already became wobbly after Mario Danneels' revelations in his book.
It was Albert essentially admitting his eighteen-year affair with Sybille and his fathering of Delphine in his 1999 Christmas speech to the Belgian nation that created the problem.
Old 02-09-2020, 11:53 AM
Heir Apparent

Thanks Benjamin !
A lot of Belgians knew the Delphine Affaire before the Book i
e . a. When the Prince of Liege went on an Economic Mission the airplane stopped in London before Brussels . No body spoke about that.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:14 PM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
It was Albert essentially admitting his eighteen-year affair with Sybille and his fathering of Delphine in his 1999 Christmas speech to the Belgian nation that created the problem.
According Mario Danneels, King Albert, in essence an easygoing goodnatured laissez-faire laissez-passer type of fellow, wanted to settle the situation with Delphine in harmony, but that was not in the way of thinking of Queen Paola, with her fierce personality.

I have always wondered myself: why is King Albert making such a fuss? But the theory is that Queen Paola was the one reminding Albert they had an agreement which saved their marriage: no formal relationship with Delphine, only informal contacts. I think we will learn some 20 years after their deaths. When things start to reveal. All is guesswork now.
Old 02-09-2020, 01:23 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
Isn't it funny he tacitly admitted it to a country, and then lied to Delphine and refused to help or speak to her?

There is a wife's pride, there is panic, and there is cowardice.

If Albert was expecting no repercussions from his Christmas speech, who told him lying for the next twenty years would make him look any better?

Tags
delphine boŽl, illegitimate children, king albert ii