The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 01-27-2020, 02:55 PM
Super Moderator
Royal Blogger

Isn't Delphine also known as Jonkvrouw Boël,perhaps thats the only title she will ever want after the constant pointless battles of her biological father.

Old 01-27-2020, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Interestingly, it was also immediately stated that Delphine will - as one of his four children - receive an equal part of his inheritance. Albert will no longer fight against her being recognized as his legal daughter either.
Can you post that additional statement? I may have missed it as I have been reading quickly. (But she will only be entitled to an equal part of his inheritance if and when she becomes his legal daughter.)

Based on the (original) statement from King Albert, I have been wondering whether Delphine will still go through with applying to be recognized as Albert's legal daughter. Per the statement, one of the reasons King Albert is speaking is to "put an end to the onerous procedure". I wonder if that implies he and Delphine have agreed a deal that in exchange for Albert's public verbal acknowledgement that she is his biological daughter, Delphine will not seek to become his legal daughter. Or perhaps there is no deal, and it is merely what Albert was/is hoping will happen.

Quote:
I wonder who convinced him of this move.
If I understand it correctly, the DNA test results would have been made public anyway if Delphine applied to the courts to seek recognition as Albert's daughter.

Old 01-27-2020, 03:04 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucien View Post
Finally!!Now,that didn´t hurt now did it Albert?

It did in a way. Part of King Philippe's, Princess Astrid's and Prince Laurent's inheritance will now go to Delphine and it is not clear if Delphine will be able to claim the title of Princess of Belgium and the style of Royal Highness under the royal decree of 2015 (although I don't think so).

As far as the succession to the Crown is concerned, however, the Belgian constitution is pretty clear that:

Quote:

Art. 85
  • Les pouvoirs constitutionnels du Roi sont héréditaires dans la descendance directe, naturelle et légitime de S.M. Léopold, Georges, Chrétien, Frédéric de Saxe-Cobourg, par ordre de primogéniture.
I don't suppose being recognized as Albert's legal daughter makes Delphine "legitime" under Belgian law, or does it ?
Old 01-27-2020, 03:17 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
It did in a way. Part of King Philippe's, Princess Astrid's and Princess Laurent's inheritance will now go to Delphine
No, not yet. In order to have inheritance rights, Delphine would need to become Albert's legal daughter. That has not happened yet. (Le Soir reported last year that Delphine Boël's lawyers planned to take the first legal steps in regard to King Albert's paternity at the beginning of this year, and that they hoped a first verdict could occur by the end of 2020, implying it might take even longer.)

It is not clear to me whether legal recognition ever will happen now. Perhaps Delphine will be satisfied with the unofficial statement and not continue with the legal proceedings? If anyone has more information, I would appreciate it.

Quote:
I don't suppose being recognized as Albert's legal daughter makes Delphine "legitime" under Belgian law, or does it ?
As far as I know the categories of "legitimate" and "illegitimate" have been eliminated from Belgian law, with the exception of the royal succession law. They have certainly been eliminated from the Civil Code. So it may be arguable theoretically, but I doubt Delphine will press the matter even if she does eventually become recognized as Albert's legal daughter.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Finally! I am very pleased for Delphine.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:18 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria View Post
Can you post that additional statement? I may have missed it as I have been reading quickly. (But she will only be entitled to an equal part of his inheritance if and when she becomes his legal daughter.)
His lawyer apparently said so in an interview with VTM NIEUWS, it's in one of the links Marengo posted. He also said that king Albert won't fight against him becoming her father legally.

Quote:
De koning zal ook niet langer juridisch betwisten dat hij de wettelijke vader is. “Albert II zal Boël in zijn testament opnemen op hetzelfde niveau als zijn andere kinderen”, dat zei Berenboom vanavond in een interview met VTM NIEUWS.

(…)

“We hebben kennis genomen van de resultaten van het DNA-monster”, zegt de advocaat van de koning vanavond in een interview met VTM NIEUWS. “Daaruit blijkt dat koning Albert voor 99,99 procent de biologische vader is van Delphine Boël”. “De koning zal al zijn kinderen als gelijke behandelen. Hij zal Boël in zijn testament opnemen op hetzelfde niveau als zijn andere kinderen. Koning Albert heeft nu dus vier kinderen”.
See: HLN

Note: will translate for those who don't understand Dutch.

Translation of the quotes above.
The king will no longer legally contest that he is the legal father. "Albert II will include Boël in his will at the same level as his other children", said Berenboom (his lawyer) tonight in an interview with VTM News.
(…)
"We have noted the results of the DNA-test" said the king's lawyer in an interview with VTM News tonight. "It shows that king Albert for 99.99% is the biological father of Delphine Boël." "The king will treat his children equally. He will include Boël in his will at the same level as his other children. King Albert therefore now has 4 children."
Old 01-27-2020, 03:23 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
No, not yet. In order to have inheritance rights, Delphine would need to become Albert's legal daughter. That has not happened yet. (Le Soir reported last year that Delphine Boël's lawyers planned to take the first legal steps in regard to King Albert's paternity at the beginning of this year, and that they hoped a first verdict could occur by the end of 2020, implying it might take even longer.)

It is not clear to me whether legal recognition ever will happen now. Perhaps Delphine will be satisfied with the unofficial statement and not continue with the legal proceedings? If anyone has more information, I would appreciate it.

I suspect she will press on with legal recognition. Why shouldn't she ? Especially when inheritance rights , and possibly titles or even succession rights to the throne are at stake ? Her lawyers' statements are mostly PR in my opinion.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:24 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
THIS.
He admits "siring" her but said he didn't have to do anything with her when we all know he was living with Sybille and Delphine for a while
But what were we expecting? He was a terrible father for his "legitimate" children, of course he was going to be a terrible person here.
Aren't there photos of him together with Sybille and their child??

"The arc of the moral universe is long, but it bends toward justice". Martin Luther King Jr. 1929-1968
Old 01-27-2020, 03:32 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
His lawyer apparently said so in an interview with VTM NIEUWS, it's in one of the links Marengo posted. He also said that king Albert won't fight against him becoming her father legally.

Quote:
De koning zal ook niet langer juridisch betwisten dat hij de wettelijke vader is. “Albert II zal Boël in zijn testament opnemen op hetzelfde niveau als zijn andere kinderen”, dat zei Berenboom vanavond in een interview met VTM NIEUWS.

(…)

“We hebben kennis genomen van de resultaten van het DNA-monster”, zegt de advocaat van de koning vanavond in een interview met VTM NIEUWS. “Daaruit blijkt dat koning Albert voor 99,99 procent de biologische vader is van Delphine Boël”. “De koning zal al zijn kinderen als gelijke behandelen. Hij zal Boël in zijn testament opnemen op hetzelfde niveau als zijn andere kinderen. Koning Albert heeft nu dus vier kinderen”.
See: HLN

Note: will translate for those who don't understand Dutch.

Translation of the quotes above.
The king will no longer legally contest that he is the legal father. "Albert II will include Boël in his will at the same level as his other children", said Berenboom (his lawyer) tonight in an interview with VTM News.
(…)
"We have noted the results of the DNA-test" said the king's lawyer in an interview with VTM News tonight. "It shows that king Albert for 99.99% is the biological father of Delphine Boël." "The king will treat his children equally. He will include Boël in his will at the same level as his other children. King Albert therefore now has 4 children."

Thank you for the links and translation! I missed that article indeed. So, as I understand it, King Albert will - through his testament - assign an equal share to her as if she was his legal child, even though (for the moment) she is not.

I wonder if "won't fight against" indicates that Delphine still intends to seek legal recognition. On one hand, she now has vindication, public recognition, and even an inheritance, but on the other hand, only legal recognition can grant her the right to bear Albert's name (and preserve her inheritance if King Albert changes his mind about his testament).
Old 01-27-2020, 03:35 PM
Heir Apparent

I may be wrong, but if [as I believe] the 'code Napoleon' inheritance system [whereby each child, and surviving spouse, each receive EQUAL shares in a deceased's Estate] applies in Belgium, them Ms Boel may use this ruling to assert her NOW [undoubted] rights ?
Old 01-27-2020, 03:42 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Thank you for the links and translation! I missed that article indeed. So, as I understand it, King Albert will - through his testament - assign an equal share to her as if she was his legal child, even though (for the moment) she is not.

I wonder if "won't fight against" indicates that Delphine still intends to seek legal recognition. On one hand, she now has vindication, public recognition, and even an inheritance, but on the other hand, only legal recognition can grant her the right to bear Albert's name (and preserve her inheritance if King Albert changes his mind about his testament).

Incidentally, what is Albert's name ? No family name is given for him or for Prince Philippe in Phillipe's marriage certificate even though family names are entered for both Mathilde and Paola, and for Mathilde's parents.

Quote:

N° 708 L'an mil neuf cent nonante-neuf, le quatre décembre, à dix heures, devant Nous, Messire François-Xavier Chevalier de Donnea, Ministre d'Etat, Membre de la Chambre des Représentants, Bourgmestre de la Ville de Bruxelles, Officier de l'Etat Civil, Grand Officier de l'Ordre de Léopold, assisté de Marceline Van Baerlem, Echevine de la Ville de Bruxelles, comparaissent à l'Hôtel de Ville :
Son Altesse Royale le Prince Philippe Léopold Louis Marie, Duc de Brabant, Prince de Belgique, Sénateur, Grand Cordon de l'Ordre de Léopold
, titulaire de diverses distinctions honorifiques étrangères, né à Bruxelles, deuxième district, le quinze avril mil neuf cent soixante, domicilié à Bruxelles, rue Brederode 16, fils majeur de Sa Majesté le Roi Albert II Félix Humbert Théodore Christian Eugène Marie, Roi des Belges, Prince de Belgique, Grand Maître de l'Ordre de Léopold, titulaire de diverses distinctions honorifiques étrangères, et de son épouse Sa Majesté la Reine Paola Margherita Maria-Antonia Consiglia des Princes Ruffo di Calabria, Princesse de Belgique, Grand Cordon de l'Ordre de Léopold, domiciliés à Bruxelles, d'une part;
et : Demoiselle Mathilde Marie Christine Ghislaine d'Udekem d'Acoz,née à Uccle, le vingt janvier mil neuf cent septante-trois, domiciliée à Bastogne, Losange 2, fille majeure de Messire Patrick Paul François Xavier Marie Ghislain d'Udekem d'Acoz, Ecuyer, et de son épouse Anne-Marie Comtesse Komorowski, domiciliés à Bastogne, d'autre part;
Lesquels Nous ont requis de procéder à la célébration du mariage projeté entre Eux. Les publications ont été faites à Bruxelles, le quatorze novembre mil neuf cent nonante-neuf et à Bastogne à la même date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
I may be wrong, but if [as I believe] the 'code Napoleon' inheritance system [whereby each child, and surviving spouse, each receive EQUAL shares in a deceased's Estate] applies in Belgium, them Ms Boel may use this ruling to assert her NOW [undoubted] rights ?

I believe you are indeed right.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:44 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 View Post
Aren't there photos of him together with Sybille and their child??
The statement was a bit more specific. He didn't say he didn't have anything to do with her but that he never was a part of 'family, social and educational decisions' about her - which technically could be true.
Old 01-27-2020, 03:49 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyevale View Post
No ruling has happened today. King Albert simply released a verbal communique which included his admission that Delphine Boël is his biological daughter.

Only a court has the authority to issue a ruling on legal paternity or legal rights. His statement therefore does not alter the legal situation, and King Albert is still not the legal father of Ms Boël, for now.

The statement and a recap of previous events can be found here
https://www.rtbf.be/info/belgique/de...dn?id=10418022

Quote:
Incidentally, what is Albert's name ? No family name is given for him or for Prince Philippe in Phillipe's marriage certificate even though family names are entered for both Mathilde and Paola, and for Mathilde's parents.
See the quotes and links in these posts for some information.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2186636
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2186637

Perhaps we could move the title and surname discussion to the titles thread?
Old 01-27-2020, 04:36 PM
Heir Apparent

Wow TBH I aways thought Albert would keep posting legal obstacles until his demise (sad but its the truth) I am shocked he appears to have acknowledged her as his child (biological if nothing else) without a court order to do so and even more surprised at him saying she will inherit as his other children will.

That said does Albert actually have any real wealth for her to inherit anyway, I would imagine most of his apparent wealth is actually not his own i.e. the house hat belongs to the Royal Trust, cars from the royal car pool etc.

Anyway, its seems almost surreal that after so long in one statement this is, in effect, over and what a liar IMO it has made Albert seem to be.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:42 PM
Administrator
Royal Blogger, TRF Author

I just watched the VRT news. They claim that it is unlikely financial considerations will be at the bottom of this case. As the reporter said, if they were Delphine would have kept her legal father. They added that the money that King Albert II was supposed to pay for every day that he did not take an DNA-test was marked for a charity.

In De Standaard Wim Dehandschutter gives some background to the story. He also claims that financial considerations are unlikely. Apart from the above, the family that Delphine still does have is not without means either. Her mother has a house in the Provence, an apartment in Paris, a house in Uccle and various other properties that she is renting out. Delphine is not unsuccessful in her work and her pieces sell for 10.000-20.000 Euros each. He adds that the Selys de Longchamps family was not without means either, Sybille's brother even bought a property from Madonna [he does not state where].

Friends claim that Delphine always speaks with respect about King Philippe and is surprisingly royalist. She never mentions Princess Astrid. They also claim that Delphine thinks that King Albert convinced himself somewhere along the road that he was NOT her [biological] father.

https://www.standaard.be/cnt/dmf20200127_04823369

The commercial VTM channel opened their news broadcast with the sentence: 'King Albert is the biological father of Delphine Boël. Of course everybody knew that already for years ...'.
Old 01-27-2020, 04:57 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Wow TBH I aways thought Albert would keep posting legal obstacles until his demise (sad but its the truth) I am shocked he appears to have acknowledged her as his child (biological if nothing else) without a court order to do so and even more surprised at him saying she will inherit as his other children will.

That said does Albert actually have any real wealth for her to inherit anyway, I would imagine most of his apparent wealth is actually not his own i.e. the house hat belongs to the Royal Trust, cars from the royal car pool etc.

Anyway, its seems almost surreal that after so long in one statement this is, in effect, over and what a liar IMO it has made Albert seem to be.

Nobody knows how much Albert is personally worth. He owns a yatch and also a private estate in France for example. He also owns jewelry (or his wife does instead, I am not sure). It is true, however, that most of the residences used by the Belgian royals belong to the Royal Trust or, in the case of Palace of Brussels (which is not a residence today), directly to the Belgian state.

Click on this link for a list of Belgian royal residences divided into state-owned buldings, properties placed in the Royal Trust, and private estates.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:37 PM
Courtier

The inheritance issue might get messy since Albert and Paola changed their marital conditions not long ago, so if he dies first, half of whatever he owns goes to her and the other half will be divided between his (now) four children.

I don't know if the properties are all in both their names or if they started gifting them away to grandchildren, I remember Paola gifting Laurent's twins a property a few years ago if I'm not mistaken?
Old 01-27-2020, 05:45 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Albert seemed to be stubborn about this before so I wonder what made him have a change of heart. I'm glad for Delphine and her mother that he's officially declared and settled this.

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 01-27-2020, 05:59 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by leidi View Post
The inheritance issue might get messy since Albert and Paola changed their marital conditions not long ago, so if he dies first, half of whatever he owns goes to her and the other half will be divided between his (now) four children.
And the other way around? Would half of Paola's inheritance go to Albert and in that way indirectly end up with Delphine? Because it might indeed get messy and the amounts might vary significantly based on who passes first.

What was it like before the change?
Old 01-27-2020, 06:12 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
Albert seemed to be stubborn about this before so I wonder what made him have a change of heart. I'm glad for Delphine and her mother that he's officially declared and settled this.
Today's declaration was not official, only a communiqué released to the media. See the reports shared by Marengo earlier in the thread: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2288648

His attorneys have made comments indicating that he will no longer contest the official court proceedings (Somebody translated them here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post2288744) if Delphine presses forward with her legal case, but that hasn't yet occurred.

Tags
delphine boël, illegitimate children, king albert ii