Emperor Akihito & Empress Michiko Current Events Part 2: September 2006- January 2013

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The Imperial couple occured to be football fans

Japan's surprise advance to the World Cup knockout stage has turned Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko into football fans who even woke before dawn to watch live TV coverage.The news emerged on Friday when the royal couple received Japan's coach Takeshi Okada, two senior players and the president of the Japan Football Association Motoaki Inukai at the Imperial Palace.
Coach Okada said that Empress Michiko, one year younger than the emperor at 75, told him that she got up to watch the Japan-Denmark game which started at 3:30 am Japan time.
"When she woke up so early in the morning, his majesty was also awake. They agreed that they would watch television together," Okada said. - AFP

I'm glad that Michiko sama is enjoying world cup football

And I'm glad that Japan had reached the site it did at the World Cup. It was the first time in history of World Cup that Japan had reached that far...Congrats! I suppose that the IMperial Family must have been more than happy about their National Soccer Team. They were great. :)

Vanesa.

TIM the Emperor Akihito and the Empress Michiko have visited the new Chinese exibition in the museum in Tokyo on July 22nd 2010.
Picture - Kyodo

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko look at gentian flowers at a farm
near the Nasu Imperial Villa in Tochigi Prefecture, north of Tokyo, on
July 26, 2010.

** Pic **

Wonderful couple...They look so good being photograohed together! And I like a lot their pics when visiting gardens, or the countryside. It's so romantic!

Vanesa.:flowers:

Emperor Akihito attended the opening of the Extraordinary Diet session
in Tokyo on July 30, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

On August 1st, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko arrived at Tsukuba
Station on the Tsukuba Express line in Ibaraki Prefecture. The couple
visited Tsukuba City to attend the opening ceremony of the International
Conference on Chemical Thermodynamics.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

On August 2nd, Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko were briefed on how
to preserve species in danger of extinction during their visit to the National
Institute for Environmental Studies in Tsukuba, Ibaraki Prefecture.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Emperor sends letter of congratulations to Yokozuna Hakuho

Japan's Emperor Akihito has given the scandal-hit sumo world a boost by pledging his support to the ancient sport in a letter to Mongolian 'yokozuna' Hakuho.
The Imperial Household Agency said the Emperor had congratulated Hakuho, who last month became the first wrestler to win three straight tournaments with perfect 15-0 records. - Reuters

The Japan Times
The Mainichi Daily News

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko bow as they offer prayers before
an altar during a memorial service for those who died in World War Two
during a ceremony marking the 65th anniversary of Japan's surrender
in the war at Budokan Hall in Tokyo, August 15, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Thanks for the photos!
Their Imperial Majesties attend this event every year.

Emperor Akihito acknowledges Korean ancestry of the Imperial family

It wasn't until December 2001 that Emperor Akihito, at a news conference, referred publicly to kinship between the ancient imperial Japanese family and Paekche, a kingdom that thrived from the fourth to seventh centuries on the Korean Peninsula. - Full article in Asahi

Emperor Akihito on Thursday granted an audience to Spanish Prime Minister
Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero on the last day of the premier's first official
visit to the Asian nation, Imperial Palace in Tokyo, Japan, September 2nd,

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** belga gallery **

Ecuadorian President Vicente Correa is greeted by Japanese Emperor Akihito
for their talks upon his arrival at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on September
6, 2010. Correa is there on a four-day visit.

Empress Michiko apparently has cough-variant asthma but will proceed with her official duties as scheduled while receiving medication, the Imperial Household Agency said September 9th 2010.
The agency said the Empress will be treated with medication for at least two to three months in order to prevent the ailment from developing into bronchial asthma. - Kyodo

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko received Crown Prince Willem-Alexander
of the Netherlands for a dinner at the Imperial Residence in Tokyo today,
September 13, 2010. The Crown Prince had attended the Asahi World
Environmental Forum 2010 in Tokyo prior to their meeting.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko (in a very nice light yellow) at the
opening ceremony of a national athletic meeting in the city of Chiba,
September 25, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Thanks for the update!:flowers:
It is nice to see Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko undertaking the engagements. I am sure that people participating in the event were delighted to meet them. Empress Michiko looked impeccable as usual.

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko, who are touring around Chiba Prefecture mainly to watch the ongoing National Sports Festival, have traveled on a special train for the Imperial Family's exclusive use for the first time in nearly two years.
On Sept. 26 the Emperor and Empress watched the bowling and soft tennis competitions in the city of Chiba and the town of Shirako, respectively, and then visited the Coastal Branch of the Natural History Museum and Institute in the city of Katsuura, Chiba Prefecture.

Full article + tiny photo - Mainichi News
More about the Imperial Trains

Emperor Akihito has received Ghana's President John Atta Mills at the Imperial
Palace in Tokyo, September 30, 2010. According to the Imperial Household
Agency, Emperor Akihito thanked for Ghana's courteous hospitality during
Crown Prince Naruhito's visit to the country in March. Mills in turn thanked
Japan's economic assistance to the western African nation.

Imperial couple at the city of Nara 1300th anniversary's festivities

The Japanese city of Nara celebrated Friday the 1,300th anniversary of its ascension as Japan's capital.
Emperor Akihito, Empress Michiko and about 1,700 guests, including representatives of nearly 50 foreign governments, attended a ceremony outside the restored Daigokuden palace at the site of former capital of Heijo-kyo, present-day Nara City, 380 kilometres west of Tokyo.- Deutche Presse Agentur via Monsters&Critics

The New York Times article

Thai Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has been received by Emperor Akihito
and Empress Michiko at the Imperial residence in Tokyo on October 12, 2010.

** Pic **

HM the Empress cancelles her schedule due to the eye illness

HM the Empress Michiko has cancelled her schedule because she had had an eye condition attributed to fatigue, reported the Imperial Household Agency.

On October 13th HM felt acute pain in her eye early in the morning, and the doctors of the Imperial Hospital diagnosed
hemorragia subconjuntival or hiposfagma. - Hola!

I hope Her Imperial Majesty will get well soon.

Seems she's feeling better now, today she attended an event again:

Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko attended a ceremony marking the 125th
anniversary of the founding of the patent system in Japan to protect industrial
property rights at a Tokyo hotel on October 18, 2010.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Visiting Botswanan President Seretse Khama Ian Khama is greeted by Emperor
Akihito for their talks upon his arrival at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo on
October 18, 2010. Khama is on a four-day visit to Tokyo.

** Pic **

Thanks for the update!
It is a fast recovery indeed. I have to say that she looked chic.

Seems she's feeling better now...

HM the Empress's right eye still has the signs of inflammation. I believe that HM has a strong sense of responsibility, that's why she attends the event.

I wish her speedy recovery.

HM the Empress's thoughts about her age and family

Empress Michiko turned 76 years old on Oct. 20. In a reply to questions by the media released on the day before her birthday, Empress Michiko wrote frankly about her thoughts on her health and family.

"In the last few years I feel I have become a lot slower at doing things. I also often experience symptoms that seem to be caused by ageing, such as not being able to find what I am looking for. I find these incidents amusing at times, but I also feel a bit helpless."

The Empress also shared her hope for the future of the families of Crown Prince Naruhito and Prince Akishino, noting, "I am certain that they will find a guiding principle and support in the way His Majesty over the years has proceeded in pursuit of how the Imperial Family should be and how the Emperor should be."

Empress Michiko then expressed her concern about long-ailing Crown Princess Masako and Princess Aiko, who has been having trouble going to school by herself. - Mainichi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom