Death and Funeral of Prince Henrik of Denmark: February 13 and 20, 2018

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Statement from the Romanian Royal Family:

Her Majesty Margareta, the Custodian of the Romanian Crown, together with the entire Royal Family, received with great sadness the news of the passing of His Royal Highness Prince Henrik of Denmark, the consort of the Danish sovereign, Her Majesty Queen Margarethe II.

Her Majesty Margareta and Prince Radu were often with the Danish Royal Couple and enjoyed the affection, warmth and generosity of Prince Henrik. Also, a few years ago, the Romanian Royal Couple were personally invited by Prince Henrik to spend a few days at Fredensborg Castle.

Her Majesty Margareta, the Custodian of the Crown, addressed this morning a personal letter to Her Majesty Queen Margaret II.

The Royal Family of Romania will always remember the generous, erudite, talented and humorous personality of His Late Royal Highness Prince Henrik.

God rest him in peace!

Principele Henrik al Danemarcei, In Memoriam | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

:previous: I think the DRF have had a crash course in dementia and that it didn't just happen overnight. He was, in all probability, not quite in his right mind for several years before his behaviour became outrageous enough for them to see he was more than just eccentric, he was erratic and his outrageous behaviour resulted in him being examined and diagnosed.

Taking the above into consideration and deciding how much of Heinrik's sudden and public announcement were due to his condition rather than his previous arrangements.

I know when my mother was diagnosed when we all sat around discussing the situation it became clear to us that had we know what to watch for we might have known a lot sooner instead of putting her erratic behaviour, which had begun years before, down to her age. Had we but known.

Very, very sad news. The end came really fast but at least he didn't suffer long and thankfully everybody was able to say goodbye.
Deepest sympathy to the family and Danish people.
Rest in peace, Prince Henrik.

I am sad and glad at the same time. Henrik had a hell of a life, not ordinary at all.
He could enjoy it almost to the very end and made it to old age.
RIP.

For the grandchildren it will be very hard because I believe they were is true passion, apart from the dogs of course.

Such sad news. My deepest condolences to the Queen, crown Prince and Prince Joachim as well as the wider family circle.

I’ve seen some wonderful photos over the years of Henrik with his family. They can grieve in the assurance they were all deeply loved by him.

I have just seen the sad news. May the prince rest in peace and my condolences to the family and the people of Denmark.

May the late Prince Rest in Peace, and his family, friends and compatriots find comfort in a 'Life well lived'.

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace.

Thank you, Muhler, for your very articulate observations. I'm sure they echo the feelings of many.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is such sad news - My deepest condolences to the Queen, Crownprince Frederik and Prince Joachim.

Comment from Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg through her secretary to BT:

We are all three in great sadness. Henrik was a human being with a great love for life. He was a cultured and spontaneous person. I loved him for his laughter, and he was a true world man who loved life and took everything he could get out of life, and was a great inspiration for others. I really loved him so much.
Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix are "very saddened, but they are also happy that they were able to say goodbye to their beloved 'grandpapa'. They are glad that he got such a nice end to a beautiful life."

https://www.bt.dk/danmark/alexandra-om-prinserne-de-er-meget-beroerte

It has been announced right now that PH wished to be cremated and half his ashes is to be spread over the sea, and half is to be put in an urn and buried at Fredensborg.

It also announced that his funeral ceremony is to be kept low key. That is it will be a private ceremony at Christiansborg palace church, attended by those nearest and dearest to him.

The ceremony will take place at 11.00 on Tuesday.

:previous: Follow up.

The first comments from serious royal commentators is that PH's wished for his burial is in line with the Buddhist philosophy he leaned towards.
- You somehow return to nothingness, yet remain a part of the circle of life.

I don't know enough of Buddhist philosophy and burial rituals to comment further on that. Perhaps someone else can explain about how death is perceived in Buddhism?

French media are reporting the following statement has been released by French President Emmanuel Macron:

Born in Talence in France, a career diplomat, a travel lover, a connoisseur of the Far East, Henri de Monpezat, who became Prince Henrik of Denmark after his marriage to Queen Margrethe in 1967, had always been keen to promote long and unalterable friendship between France and Denmark, two nations whose alliance was never broken.

He made sure in particular that the French language remains employed at Court and remains taught in Denmark, especially at Le Lycée Français Prins Henrik, the largest French high school in Northern Europe, with 950 students.

He had published several collections of poems in French and Danish, including Cantabile (2000), illustrated by his wife, but also memories written with a smiling humor (Destin oblige, 1996), and even a cookbook. He watched lovingly over his vineyard of Château de Cayx.

President Macron and his wife Brigitte express their sincere condolences to Queen Margrethe II, to her sons Frederik and Joachim, to her grandchildren and to the people of Denmark."

Emmanuel Macron rend hommage au prince Henrik de Danemark
Macron: Henrik de Danemark a promu «l'amitié entre la France et le Danemark»

Does that mean no other royal families will be invited for the funeral (other than Sweden & Norway & Greece)?

I guess I'm happy that they choose to honour his wishes.

I don't know enough of Buddhist philosophy and burial rituals to comment further on that. Perhaps someone else can explain about how death is perceived in Buddhism?

I'm not an expert or a practicing Buddhist, so I can only offer what I know from growing up:

Cremation is a common practice (but not the only practice). And it means that the person now goes to the next world, and by karma (probably not the right words, I'm not sure what the correct translation is) the person will be reborn. So that's why you should do more good in this life time, and death is not an ending, rather the beginning of the next life?

Monks are often involved in the funeral.

Last edited:
French media are reporting the following statement has been released by French President Emmanuel Macron:

President Macron and his wife Brigitte express their sincere condolences to Queen Margrethe II, to her sons Frederik and Joachim, to her grandchildren and to the people of Denmark."

Emmanuel Macron rend hommage au prince Henrik de Danemark
Macron: Henrik de Danemark a promu «l'amitié entre la France et le Danemark»

M le Président really knows how to do it in style. This goes far beyond the obligatory messages. My esteem for M Macron has only grown.

There will be a limited press attendance at the funeral ceremony, in accordance with Ph's wishes of keeping this low key.

I'm relieved for his family.

They had the opportunity to say goodbye in peace, with no hurry. All of them, the children included.
And they got to say goodbye while (we may hope) he was responsive and knew who they were.
He, we may hope and I think so, also had time to say goodbye to his family. - Perhaps it was his brother Etienne de Monpezat, he was waiting for? Or perhaps just coming home?

He got to die in his home, Fredensborg. A place he and QMII were so very fond of, a place with so many happy memories.
He died with his family around him and he died knowing that he was loved and will be missed. Probably also with his beloved dog with him.

It was fast!
He seems to have had a good time in Egypt and then within three weeks he's gone.

Now his family can remember him as the loving, fun loving and warm grandpapa, he was. Rather than the shell of a man, who has all but faded away.

So I'm not only relieved I'm also glad, despite their current grief.
It was a good way to die.
Beautifully written! I too am glad it happenened this way. May the Prince Rest In Peace.

Statement from Danish Prime Minister Lars Løkke Rasmussen:

It is with great sorrow that I have received the announcement of the death of HRH Prince Henrik.

Prince Henrik's life held the world. From a childhood in Hanoi to high school in Cahors. From studying in Saigon to military service in Algeria. From a diplomatic career in London to being a treasured focal point for the royal family in Denmark.

He best managed the Danish humor and self-esteem. He burned for fine French cooking and possessed charm and sense of poetry, music and art. With his international vision, he helped open the eyes of the Danes to the world.

Prince Henrik put a clear impression on the world around him throughout his life. He was a man of many facets. He dared to put himself and his person in play and refused to be a spectator of life. Life should be lived and experienced. Therefore, it was always an experienced and committed prince that you met.

Prince Henrik has represented Denmark in an excellent way. His involvement was contagious, and his insight enormous, no matter where and in what context.

The Prince's joy of life came with his grandchildren, who fortunately got a lot of years to get to know their warm and loving grandfather.

In spite of illness, the Prince kept his good mood to the last. It is admirable how fine the Royal Family has tackled and openly told about the difficult time they have gone through.

The Royal Family has lost an anchor. Queen Margrethe has lost her insightful and warm life companion of more than half a century.

Denmark has lost a unique representative of our country.

On behalf of the Danish people, I would like to express my heartfelt condolences to Queen Margrethe and the entire Royal Family.

Honor Prince Henrik's memory.

https://www.billedbladet.dk/kendte/...ke-rasmussens-smukke-mindeord-om-prins-henrik

The King and Queen of Sweden are cancelling their trip to the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang so that they can attend the funeral. King Carl Gustaf is first cousin to Queen Margrethe.

R.I.P.

It has been announced right now that PH wished to be cremated and half his ashes is to be spread over the sea, and half is to be put in an urn and buried at Fredensborg.

It also announced that his funeral ceremony is to be kept low key. That is it will be a private ceremony at Christiansborg palace church, attended by those nearest and dearest to him.

The ceremony will take place at 11.00 on Tuesday.

I assume that the cremation is also consistent with his alleged Buddhist leanings.

Since it will be a private funeral, I suppose there will be no foreign royals in attendance, unless the Swedes and Norwegians are invited as members of the family. Of course, King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie will probably attend too.

Last edited:
PH will lie in state (Castrum Doloris) in Christiansborg Palace Church, prior to the funeral ceremony.

The coffin will be closed.

I assume that the cremation is also consistent with his alleged Buddhist leanings.

Since it will be a private funeral, I suppose there will be no foreign royals in attendance, unless the Swedes and Norwegians are invited as members of the family.
I wouldnt say its necessarily a Buddhist thing. If Denmark is anything like Sweden most people get chremated nowadays with many choosing having their ashes scattered anonymously in Memorial Gardens at the cemetery. Although since I know there are big differences between the Churches of Denmark and of Sweden please correct me if I'm wrong.

Prince Henrik Passes Away: February 13, 2018

Since it will be a private funeral, I suppose there will be no foreign royals in attendance, unless the Swedes and Norwegians are invited as members of the family. Of course, King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie will probably attend too.

Perhaps there will be a Memorial Service in a couple of weeks time for Danish dignitaries and members of foreign Royal Families?
That would be an opportunity for members of other Royal Families to give their respect in person to the Danish Royal Family.
And if it would be televised, it would be a nice way for the Danish people to remember the Prince Consort one last time.

Last edited:
The King and Queen of Sweden are cancelling their trip to the Winter Olympics in Pyeongchang so that they can attend the funeral. King Carl Gustaf is first cousin to Queen Margrethe.

R.I.P.

The trip is not cancelled (yet) but according to the Head of the Press Department, there will be "adjustments" to the schedule.

My guess is that they will attend the funeral and then travel immediately to the Winter Olympics from Denmark.

I wouldnt say its necessarily a Buddhist thing. If Denmark is anything like Sweden most people get chremated nowadays with many choosing having their ashes scattered anonymously in Memorial Gardens at the cemetery. Although since I know there are big differences between the Churches of Denmark and of Sweden please correct me if I'm wrong.

The Church of Denmark (Folkekirken) and the Church of Sweden (Svenska Kyrkan) is very similar on that point. Cremation is actually the most common way of being buried here in Sweden today.

Last edited by a moderator:
So sorry to hear this. We knew it was coming, but somehow you're never ready. My condolences to his family and to the people of Denmark. This colorful and interesting man will be missed. Now Queen Margrethe will make the journey so many of us make - without the love of our life by our side, but always in our hearts. May he rest in peace.

Back
Top Bottom