The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 02-14-2018, 03:33 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Statement from the Romanian Royal Family:

Quote:
Her Majesty Margareta, the Custodian of the Romanian Crown, together with the entire Royal Family, received with great sadness the news of the passing of His Royal Highness Prince Henrik of Denmark, the consort of the Danish sovereign, Her Majesty Queen Margarethe II.

Her Majesty Margareta and Prince Radu were often with the Danish Royal Couple and enjoyed the affection, warmth and generosity of Prince Henrik. Also, a few years ago, the Romanian Royal Couple were personally invited by Prince Henrik to spend a few days at Fredensborg Castle.

Her Majesty Margareta, the Custodian of the Crown, addressed this morning a personal letter to Her Majesty Queen Margaret II.

The Royal Family of Romania will always remember the generous, erudite, talented and humorous personality of His Late Royal Highness Prince Henrik.

God rest him in peace!
Principele Henrik al Danemarcei, In Memoriam | Familia Regală a României / Royal Family of Romania

Old 02-14-2018, 03:37 AM
Majesty

I think the DRF have had a crash course in dementia and that it didn't just happen overnight. He was, in all probability, not quite in his right mind for several years before his behaviour became outrageous enough for them to see he was more than just eccentric, he was erratic and his outrageous behaviour resulted in him being examined and diagnosed.

Taking the above into consideration and deciding how much of Heinrik's sudden and public announcement were due to his condition rather than his previous arrangements.

I know when my mother was diagnosed when we all sat around discussing the situation it became clear to us that had we know what to watch for we might have known a lot sooner instead of putting her erratic behaviour, which had begun years before, down to her age. Had we but known.

Old 02-14-2018, 03:40 AM
Courtier

Very, very sad news. The end came really fast but at least he didn't suffer long and thankfully everybody was able to say goodbye.
Deepest sympathy to the family and Danish people.
Rest in peace, Prince Henrik.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:40 AM
Courtier

Vale Prince Henrik.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:44 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

I am sad and glad at the same time. Henrik had a hell of a life, not ordinary at all.
He could enjoy it almost to the very end and made it to old age.
RIP.

For the grandchildren it will be very hard because I believe they were is true passion, apart from the dogs of course.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:45 AM
Heir Presumptive

Such sad news. My deepest condolences to the Queen, crown Prince and Prince Joachim as well as the wider family circle.

Ive seen some wonderful photos over the years of Henrik with his family. They can grieve in the assurance they were all deeply loved by him.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:46 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

An obituary posted on the Danish Royal Website:

Prince Henrik of Denmark | The Danish Monarchy - Front Page
Old 02-14-2018, 04:05 AM
Majesty

I have just seen the sad news. May the prince rest in peace and my condolences to the family and the people of Denmark.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:13 AM
Heir Apparent

May the late Prince Rest in Peace, and his family, friends and compatriots find comfort in a 'Life well lived'.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:16 AM
Nobility

Eternal rest grant unto him O Lord, and let perpetual light shine upon him.
May he rest in peace.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:26 AM
Gentry

Thank you, Muhler, for your very articulate observations. I'm sure they echo the feelings of many.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:43 AM
Serene Highness

This is such sad news - My deepest condolences to the Queen, Crownprince Frederik and Prince Joachim.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:52 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

Comment from Alexandra, Countess of Frederiksborg through her secretary to BT:

Quote:
We are all three in great sadness. Henrik was a human being with a great love for life. He was a cultured and spontaneous person. I loved him for his laughter, and he was a true world man who loved life and took everything he could get out of life, and was a great inspiration for others. I really loved him so much.
Prince Nikolai and Prince Felix are "very saddened, but they are also happy that they were able to say goodbye to their beloved 'grandpapa'. They are glad that he got such a nice end to a beautiful life."

https://www.bt.dk/danmark/alexandra-...meget-beroerte
Old 02-14-2018, 04:53 AM
Imperial Majesty
TRF Author

Denmark's Prince Henrik dead at age 83 | Daily Mail Online

DM has nice pictures, the rest ... well.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:17 AM
Imperial Majesty

It has been announced right now that PH wished to be cremated and half his ashes is to be spread over the sea, and half is to be put in an urn and buried at Fredensborg.

It also announced that his funeral ceremony is to be kept low key. That is it will be a private ceremony at Christiansborg palace church, attended by those nearest and dearest to him.

The ceremony will take place at 11.00 on Tuesday.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:28 AM
Imperial Majesty

Follow up.

The first comments from serious royal commentators is that PH's wished for his burial is in line with the Buddhist philosophy he leaned towards.
- You somehow return to nothingness, yet remain a part of the circle of life.

I don't know enough of Buddhist philosophy and burial rituals to comment further on that. Perhaps someone else can explain about how death is perceived in Buddhism?
Old 02-14-2018, 05:38 AM
Administrator
Blog Editor
Royal Blogger

French media are reporting the following statement has been released by French President Emmanuel Macron:

Quote:
Born in Talence in France, a career diplomat, a travel lover, a connoisseur of the Far East, Henri de Monpezat, who became Prince Henrik of Denmark after his marriage to Queen Margrethe in 1967, had always been keen to promote long and unalterable friendship between France and Denmark, two nations whose alliance was never broken.

He made sure in particular that the French language remains employed at Court and remains taught in Denmark, especially at Le Lyce Franais Prins Henrik, the largest French high school in Northern Europe, with 950 students.

He had published several collections of poems in French and Danish, including Cantabile (2000), illustrated by his wife, but also memories written with a smiling humor (Destin oblige, 1996), and even a cookbook. He watched lovingly over his vineyard of Chteau de Cayx.
President Macron and his wife Brigitte express their sincere condolences to Queen Margrethe II, to her sons Frederik and Joachim, to her grandchildren and to the people of Denmark."

Emmanuel Macron rend hommage au prince Henrik de Danemark
Macron: Henrik de Danemark a promu l'amiti entre la France et le Danemark
Old 02-14-2018, 05:41 AM
Courtier

Does that mean no other royal families will be invited for the funeral (other than Sweden & Norway & Greece)?

I guess I'm happy that they choose to honour his wishes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muhler View Post
I don't know enough of Buddhist philosophy and burial rituals to comment further on that. Perhaps someone else can explain about how death is perceived in Buddhism?
I'm not an expert or a practicing Buddhist, so I can only offer what I know from growing up:

Cremation is a common practice (but not the only practice). And it means that the person now goes to the next world, and by karma (probably not the right words, I'm not sure what the correct translation is) the person will be reborn. So that's why you should do more good in this life time, and death is not an ending, rather the beginning of the next life?

Monks are often involved in the funeral.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessRulz View Post
French media are reporting the following statement has been released by French President Emmanuel Macron:

President Macron and his wife Brigitte express their sincere condolences to Queen Margrethe II, to her sons Frederik and Joachim, to her grandchildren and to the people of Denmark."

Emmanuel Macron rend hommage au prince Henrik de Danemark
Macron: Henrik de Danemark a promu l'amiti entre la France et le Danemark
M le Prsident really knows how to do it in style. This goes far beyond the obligatory messages. My esteem for M Macron has only grown.
Old 02-14-2018, 05:42 AM
Imperial Majesty

There will be a limited press attendance at the funeral ceremony, in accordance with Ph's wishes of keeping this low key.