Earl and Countess of Wessex Current Events 6: March-June 2005

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
check it out at Countess of Wessex at Chelsea Flower Show without Prince Edward on Hello Magazine

Rockers and royals alike turned to flower power this week as the annual Chelsea Flower Show got underway in London. Sophie Wessex was pictured sharing a joke with 88-year-old Army veteran Wally Offord at one of the displays, while former Beatle Ringo Starr came along to open another of the other attractions.

The Countess joined Wally for a pint of Spitfire Bitter at the Chelsea Pensioners' Garden. Built to look like an idyllic oasis from the England of 1945, the design aimed to recreate "a soldier's dream of Blighty".

And Sophie wasn't the only royal enjoying the fun. Her husband Prince Edward and brother in law Prince Andrew were there too. Princess Anne was meanwhile doing the honours at the launch of a new rose by horticultural company Harkness, who rewarded her for her efforts with a full basket of the pale pink "Elisabeth Casson" bloom.

The annual event also attracted some big names from the world of showbiz. Rod Stewart arrived hand in hand with his bride-to-be Penny Lancaster, while veteran actor Michael Caine was likewise spotted checking out the verdant creations. Green-fingered musician Ringo Starr was on hand to open the 4head Garden, which is one of this year's biggest attractions.

"It's absolutely lovely – very peaceful and pleasant," said the performer. "I'm a keen gardener myself and I really love being in the garden. I've got gardens at my homes in England, Monaco, LA and Colorado. Every time I come to the Chelsea Flower Show I pick up ideas that I take back home and use."

Last edited by a moderator:
Various Photos of Edward and Sophie

Hi,

Here are various photos of Edward and Sophie. at the Ball for the Maritime Museam, at Chelsea Flower Show.

Attachments

• 523807c.jpg
    523807c.jpg
    4.1 KB · Views: 838
  • 523807d.jpg
    523807d.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 839
  • 523807e.jpg
    523807e.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 838
  • 523807f.jpg
    523807f.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 846
  • 523807h.jpg
    523807h.jpg
    3.7 KB · Views: 837
  • 523807i.jpg
    523807i.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 826
  • 523807j.jpg
    523807j.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 846
  • 523807k.jpg
    523807k.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 843
  • 523992t.jpg
    523992t.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 822
  • 523807b.jpg
    523807b.jpg
    3.5 KB · Views: 835
Okay, there was only one of Chelsea, here are the rest:)

Really sad news about Mary Rhys-Jones. Colon Cancer is really bad, I pray she gets well soon.

Attachments

• 42-15369728.jpg
    42-15369728.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 187
  • nchel24a.jpg
    nchel24a.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 1116949675-4.jpg
    1116949675-4.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 152
  • 1116949675-2.jpg
    1116949675-2.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 210
  • 1116949675-1.jpg
    1116949675-1.jpg
    39.4 KB · Views: 163
  • royalroundup-dop3a.jpg
    royalroundup-dop3a.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 345
  • royalroundup-dop3b.jpg
    royalroundup-dop3b.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 398
Last edited:
HMQueenElizabethII said:
Thanks you so much Claire.

Britain's Prince Edward and his wife Sophie walk in the downtown of Funchal city at Portugal's Madeira island May 27, 2005. Prince Edward is on private two-day visit to Madeira island.

Attachments

• r2862387079.jpg
    r2862387079.jpg
    54.5 KB · Views: 200
  • r1805645746.jpg
    r1805645746.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 224
  • r2891563370.jpg
    r2891563370.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 276
gloria said:
Britain's Prince Edward and his wife Sophie walk in the downtown of Funchal city at Portugal's Madeira island May 27, 2005. Prince Edward is on private two-day visit to Madeira island.
Yes, they were. A portuguese channel showed them talking with some people (english tourist) in the area. The Heir of the portuguese throne, Dom Duarte, said that Edward is very shy!

They look great. I hope the press will leave them alone, so they can enjoy their trip.

I dont know if this has been mentioned already but has an official schedule for Edward's visit to Canada been made available?

Here it is:
Tuesday, 31st May
>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, this evening will attend a dinner and presentation for the Young Canadians Callenge, at the Drill Hall, St John's, Newfoundland, Canada.

The Earl of Wessex
will visit Canada from 31st May - 8th June 2005

Wednesday 1st June:
The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend a Gold Award Ceremony for the Young Canadians Challenge, at the St John's Convention Centre, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.
>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend a lunch for the Young Canadians Challenge, at Government House, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend a dinner for the Young Canadians Challenge in St. John's Newfoundland, Canada.

Thursday 2nd June:
>The Earl of Wessex
will attend the City of Charlottetown Sesquicentennial Celebration, at the City Hall, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
will visit The Prince Edward Island Regiment and meet Regimental Veterans, Association Executives, Unit Senior Appointments and visit the Regimental Museum at the Queen Charlotte Armoury, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend the Young Canadian Challenge lunch and Gold Award Ceremony at Government House, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend the Gold Award Ceremony and Gala Dinner for the Young Canadians Challenge at the Delta Brunswick Hotel, St. John, Newfoundland, Canada.

Friday 3rd June:
>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will visit the Tim Horton Children's Foundation, for the Young Canadians Challege, Fox Harbour, Nova Scotia, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend a Charter for Business Dinner, Fox Harbour, Nova Scotia, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
will visit The Habitat for Humanity Building Site, Toronto, Canada.

The Countess of Wessex
will visit Canada from 3rd - 8th June 2005

Saturday 4th June:
The Earl of Wessex
will lay a wreath at the Belleville Memorial Park, Trenton, Ontario, Canada.
>The Earl of Wessex
Colonel in Chief, the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment, will inspect the cadets and attend a lunch at the Belleville Armoury, Trenton, Ontario, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Colonel in Chief the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, will observe their Field Exercise and attend a dinner at the Belleville Armoury, Trenton, Ontario, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
will visit the Jackson Triggs Winery, Niagara-on-the Lake, Ontario, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
Colonel in Chief Lincoln and Welland Regiment, will observe their field exercise and attend a lunch at the Haulage Road Exercise Site, Ontario, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
Colonel in Chief, the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, attends a dinner at The Queen's Landing Hotel, Niagra-on-the Lake, Ontario, Canada.

Sunday 5th June:
>The Earl of Wessex
will attend Mattins at All Saint's Anglican Church, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, attends the Gold Award Ceremony and lunch for the Young Canadians Challenge at Peterborough Sport and Wellness Centre, Ontario, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
will lay a wreath at the Peterborough City Hall Park, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
will attend the Celtic Communion Service at St George's Anglican Church, St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
Colonel in Chief, Lincoln and Welland Regiment, attends the Regimental Review at Montebello Park, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
will attend The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association Mother and Daughter Tea, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Monday 6th June:
>The Earl and Countess of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Internationa Association, accompanied by The Countess of Wessex will attend a Charter for Business Dinner in Toronto, Canada.

attend the Aboriginal Welcome Ceremony in Queen's Park, West Portico, Ontario, Canada.

attend the re-dedication of the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre at Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Canada.

Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, accompanied by The Countess of Wessex, will attend the launch of the TD Waterhouse Youth Initiative at The Wellesley Community Centre, Bhin Rana, Ontario, Canada.

will attend the opening of the new office of Hunter, Keilty, Muntz and Beatty in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Tuesday 7th June:
The Earl and Countess of Wessex
attend the TD Bank Financial Group Sesquicentennial Celebration at the Toronto Dominion Bank Tower, Toronto, Canada.
will attend the Monarchist League and Loyal Societies Reception at The Spoke Club, Toronto, Canada.

attend the Free The Children Social Science Fair at the CHUM-City Building, Toronto, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
Patron, accompanied by The Earl of Wessex attends the New Haven Learning Centre Lunch at The St Andrew's Club, Toronto, Canada

Wednesday 8th June:
>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend the Gold Award Ceremony and lunch for the Young Canadians Challenge at The Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Waterloo, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association attends the International Golf for Youth Tournament and Dinner at the Redtail Gold Club, St. Thomas, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
President GirlGuiding UK, will attend the Girl Guides of Canada Jamboree at the Amphitheatre, Mel Lastman Square, Toronto, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
will tour the National Ballet School and attend a Reception at the Betty Oliphant Theatre, Toronto, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
Patron, attends the New Haven Learning Centre Conference on Autism at the Jane Mallet Theatre, Toronto, Canada.

More pics of TRH in Portugal:

Attachments

• rtrlive890935.jpg
    rtrlive890935.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 194
  • epaphotos352892.jpg
    epaphotos352892.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 198
thanx for posting the schedule HMQueenElizabethII.
Looks like the couple will be spending most of their time in eastern Canada. But its nice to know they'll spend at least half of their time in Ontario as well. So Im sure I'll see quite a bit of news coverage on TV. I had no idea they had so many engagements in Toronto.

Yes,i think they seem very busy even have engagements on Saturday and Sunday.I hope there would be alot of pictures like the Queen's visit.And i also thanks you lots Humera for your wonderful pics creating really great thread of Her Gracious Majesty in Canada.It makes like we are travelling together with Her Majesty too.Thanks lots.

I will post articles with pictures when Earl and Countess in Canada includes Hello magazines articles,telegraph articles,bbc articles maybe! if you post everythings i dont care about it! im really adores of Sophie.

Sara Boyce

p.s. im not good post with pictures! but i like to post with articles with pictures im really like it!

Edward and Sophie in Portugal

Hi,

Edward and Sophie were in Portugal for the Duke of Edinburgh Cup, a golf tournament. It looks like things got a bit choatic for the organisers as the press had to be quitened down and than (I'm not really sure how or why) the trophy was given to the wrong preson.
The reason I say I'm not sure is because I read the articles through a translation and that does tend to screw everything up.:)

PLease help if you understand Portuguese. Here are the links to the articles.

Journal de Madeira: Realeza britânica distribuiu simpatia
Journal de Maderia: Príncipe enganado pela organização
Journal de Maderia: Realeza britânica encantada com a Madeira
Journal de Maderia: Promoção da Madeira prossegue hoje
Journal de Maderia: Príncipe Edward na Madeira para presidir a torneio de Golfe

I read in another article that Edward is now on his way to Czech to open the only Royal golf course outside of the commonwealth. However I haven;t found any confirmation on that. And it seems odd for him to go to Czech now, when he is going there later this year still.

Photos: Journal de Maderia

Attachments

• mad.jpg
    mad.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 149
  • mad2.jpg
    mad2.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 184
  • mad3.jpg
    mad3.jpg
    4.9 KB · Views: 166
  • mad4.jpg
    mad4.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 174
Last edited:
Do someone know if it is right that Sophie´s mother has cancer.I don´t think so.If this had been right Sophie would not fly to Portugal or Canala. I think she is a good daughter and would support her family in this occasion..

liv said:
Do someone know if it is right that Sophie´s mother has cancer.I don´t think so.If this had been right Sophie would not fly to Portugal or Canala. I think she is a good daughter and would support her family in this occasion..

i tell you about that!

her father would taking good care it! but she still good daughter! but her mother had cancer already! but Sophie knew it but she will still support her family lots when she still in trips with Prince Edward.But She will visit her parents lots when her mother battle with cancer im sure Sophie loves her parents lots!

trust me

Sara Boyce

I think I've got the same opinion as Sara. You gotta see that these trips are part of Sophie's work. She's "payed" for representing her country at Edwards side. Furthermore she even has alot of engagements without Edward in Canada. I think Sophie loves her mother very much as most of us do. But if you got a job which sometimes takes you overseas you don't have a choice even as a countess. And as Sara said her father and brother will be at her mothers side. BTW I think she was already operated, maybe her critical phase is over (I hope so for Sophie).

Japy28 said:
I think I've got the same opinion as Sara. You gotta see that these trips are part of Sophie's work. She's "payed" for representing her country at Edwards side. Furthermore she even has alot of engagements without Edward in Canada. I think Sophie loves her mother very much as most of us do. But if you got a job which sometimes takes you overseas you don't have a choice even as a countess. And as Sara said her father and brother will be at her mothers side. BTW I think she was already operated, maybe her critical phase is over (I hope so for Sophie).

thanks for tell it!

but Countess of Wessex will away for Canada in June but she wont stay long because of her mother had cancer but i would agree with you she and her brother, dad will still at her bedside when her mother had operation im not sure when!

Sophie and her brother will still care mothers and father more share for their mother also when Sophie away for state trips but she cant stay longer in Canada because of her mother!

Sara Boyce

Its quite a difficult question to answer.
We don't actually know if the Countess of Wessex's mother, Mary Rhys-Jones does have cancer. Certainly judging from the headlines, it would seem like she has had a tumour removed from her colon. I don't know these tumours are normally cancerous. Please note what Buckingham Palace said:

Buckingham Palace confirmed this week that the Countess of Wessex's mother is in the Kent and Sussex Hospital following an operation. Buckingham Palace sources confirmed that charity worker Mary was being treated by medics and that her daughter had played a crucial role in helping her through her ordeal. A spokesman said: "We are confirming that Mrs Rhys-Jones is currently in hospital but any treatment or illness she may or may not have is not being commented on for reasons of medical confidentiality. "I can confirm that the Countess has visited her mother and is in constant contact with her." The patient, who has also received touching messages of support from her son-in-law Prince Edward, is said to be in good spirits.A spokeswoman at Buckingham Palace gave no further details of Mrs Rhys Jones' health, adding: "I am appalled that people are following this story. She is a private individual."

Now I have no experience with people suffering with colon cancer (and again I say that with reserve) but I do have a friend who had breast cancer. After the tumour was removed she was in recovery from the operation for a while, before they began radiation and cemotheropy. So Sophie might be back in time to support her mom through that difficult time.

Claire said:
Its quite a difficult question to answer.
We don't actually know if the Countess of Wessex's mother, Mary Rhys-Jones does have cancer. Certainly judging from the headlines, it would seem like she has had a tumour removed from her colon. I don't know these tumours are normally cancerous. Please note what Buckingham Palace said:

Buckingham Palace confirmed this week that the Countess of Wessex's mother is in the Kent and Sussex Hospital following an operation. Buckingham Palace sources confirmed that charity worker Mary was being treated by medics and that her daughter had played a crucial role in helping her through her ordeal. A spokesman said: "We are confirming that Mrs Rhys-Jones is currently in hospital but any treatment or illness she may or may not have is not being commented on for reasons of medical confidentiality. "I can confirm that the Countess has visited her mother and is in constant contact with her." The patient, who has also received touching messages of support from her son-in-law Prince Edward, is said to be in good spirits.A spokeswoman at Buckingham Palace gave no further details of Mrs Rhys Jones' health, adding: "I am appalled that people are following this story. She is a private individual."

Now I have no experience with people suffering with colon cancer (and again I say that with reserve) but I do have a friend who had breast cancer. After the tumour was removed she was in recovery from the operation for a while, before they began radiation and cemotheropy. So Sophie might be back in time to support her mom through that difficult time.

Sophie always getting support her mother lots!

and when Countess of Wessex was away in Canada with Prince Edward but she cant stay with him because of her mother had cancer i told Japy28 and liv about Countess of Wessex's mother health but she will visit her often and her brother will still see her at bedside and also her father visit everyday! im tell you the truth!

but Sophie cant stay long at Canada next month but she really worried about her mother but she still loves her mum very much! but she will visit her mum everyday often.

my mother's Aunt died when she was 7 years old my mom told me that her aunt died from ovary cancer and my mother's cousin had cancer im not sure what kind she had it! but she still strong!

i tell you the truth! Countess's mother had cancer yes of course! i read sun newspaper about that! did you read it? im serious!

Sara Boyce

I'm only guessing here, but benign and even cancerous colon polyps can usually be treated by excision during colonoscopy, assuming it's confirmed that there's no spread of the cancer. If Mrs Rhys Jones is in hospital undergoing surgery, it's likely that cancer is involved and that it's spread beyond a single polyp. If it's localised to the colon, the chances of full recovery are excellent. If it's spread to the liver, she could be in all sorts of trouble. Until someone makes an official statement, we're probably all just guessing, though.

corazon said:
Sophie, Countess of Wessex THE SPLASH BALL HELD AT THE RIVER AND ROWING MUSEUM, HENLEY ON THAMES, BRITAIN - 21 MAY 2005

Sophie looks stunning in this gown. What a fantastic colour for her.:)

HMQueenElizabethII said:
Here it is:
Tuesday, 31st May
>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, this evening will attend a dinner and presentation for the Young Canadians Callenge, at the Drill Hall, St John's, Newfoundland, Canada.

The Earl of Wessex
will visit Canada from 31st May - 8th June 2005

Wednesday 1st June:
The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend a Gold Award Ceremony for the Young Canadians Challenge, at the St John's Convention Centre, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.
>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend a lunch for the Young Canadians Challenge, at Government House, St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend a dinner for the Young Canadians Challenge in St. John's Newfoundland, Canada.

Thursday 2nd June:
>The Earl of Wessex
will attend the City of Charlottetown Sesquicentennial Celebration, at the City Hall, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
will visit The Prince Edward Island Regiment and meet Regimental Veterans, Association Executives, Unit Senior Appointments and visit the Regimental Museum at the Queen Charlotte Armoury, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend the Young Canadian Challenge lunch and Gold Award Ceremony at Government House, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend the Gold Award Ceremony and Gala Dinner for the Young Canadians Challenge at the Delta Brunswick Hotel, St. John, Newfoundland, Canada.

Friday 3rd June:
>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will visit the Tim Horton Children's Foundation, for the Young Canadians Challege, Fox Harbour, Nova Scotia, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend a Charter for Business Dinner, Fox Harbour, Nova Scotia, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
will visit The Habitat for Humanity Building Site, Toronto, Canada.

The Countess of Wessex
will visit Canada from 3rd - 8th June 2005

Saturday 4th June:
The Earl of Wessex
will lay a wreath at the Belleville Memorial Park, Trenton, Ontario, Canada.
>The Earl of Wessex
Colonel in Chief, the Hastings & Prince Edward Regiment, will inspect the cadets and attend a lunch at the Belleville Armoury, Trenton, Ontario, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Colonel in Chief the Hastings and Prince Edward Regiment, will observe their Field Exercise and attend a dinner at the Belleville Armoury, Trenton, Ontario, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
will visit the Jackson Triggs Winery, Niagara-on-the Lake, Ontario, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
Colonel in Chief Lincoln and Welland Regiment, will observe their field exercise and attend a lunch at the Haulage Road Exercise Site, Ontario, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
Colonel in Chief, the Lincoln and Welland Regiment, attends a dinner at The Queen's Landing Hotel, Niagra-on-the Lake, Ontario, Canada.

Sunday 5th June:
>The Earl of Wessex
will attend Mattins at All Saint's Anglican Church, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, attends the Gold Award Ceremony and lunch for the Young Canadians Challenge at Peterborough Sport and Wellness Centre, Ontario, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
will lay a wreath at the Peterborough City Hall Park, Peterborough, Ontario, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
will attend the Celtic Communion Service at St George's Anglican Church, St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
Colonel in Chief, Lincoln and Welland Regiment, attends the Regimental Review at Montebello Park, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
will attend The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association Mother and Daughter Tea, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Monday 6th June:
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award Internationa Association, accompanied by The Countess of Wessex will attend a Charter for Business Dinner in Toronto, Canada.

attend the Aboriginal Welcome Ceremony in Queen's Park, West Portico, Ontario, Canada.

attend the re-dedication of the Peter Munk Cardiac Centre at Toronto General Hospital, Toronto, Canada.

Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, accompanied by The Countess of Wessex, will attend the launch of the TD Waterhouse Youth Initiative at The Wellesley Community Centre, Bhin Rana, Ontario, Canada.

will attend the opening of the new office of Hunter, Keilty, Muntz and Beatty in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Tuesday 7th June:
The Earl and Countess of Wessex
attend the TD Bank Financial Group Sesquicentennial Celebration at the Toronto Dominion Bank Tower, Toronto, Canada.
will attend the Monarchist League and Loyal Societies Reception at The Spoke Club, Toronto, Canada.

attend the Free The Children Social Science Fair at the CHUM-City Building, Toronto, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
Patron, accompanied by The Earl of Wessex attends the New Haven Learning Centre Lunch at The St Andrew's Club, Toronto, Canada

Wednesday 8th June:
>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association, will attend the Gold Award Ceremony and lunch for the Young Canadians Challenge at The Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Waterloo, Canada.

>The Earl of Wessex
Trustee, The Duke of Edinburgh's Award International Association attends the International Golf for Youth Tournament and Dinner at the Redtail Gold Club, St. Thomas, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
President GirlGuiding UK, will attend the Girl Guides of Canada Jamboree at the Amphitheatre, Mel Lastman Square, Toronto, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
will tour the National Ballet School and attend a Reception at the Betty Oliphant Theatre, Toronto, Canada.

>The Countess of Wessex
Patron, attends the New Haven Learning Centre Conference on Autism at the Jane Mallet Theatre, Toronto, Canada.

Wow...my father in law lives only minutes away fromt the Tim Horton Children's Camp in Fox Harbour Nova Scotia. I must tell him to keep an eye out for the Duke!:p

Japy28 said:

Too true ladies. I'm sure Sophie would much rather have been at her mother's side through this but she has her responsibilities to the Crown. I'm sure her mother understands and is in good hands.

Sorry,I thought you understanded me wrong.I don´t blame Sophie for being abroad or for working.I just thought that her mother´s condition may be not critical.Because I´m sure if Mary´s condition got worse she would probably cancelled the trip. So no offense to Sophie,she´s lovely.:)

I agree with you liv. Maybe, even Mary told her to travel....after all, she has duties she can´t avoid to miss. And, could anyone imagine how to stay everyday with somebody you love and see it dying?? It´s hard for everybody.....don´t blame Sophie of beeing a horrible daughter!!

Nathalian said:
I agree with you liv. Maybe, even Mary told her to travel....after all, she has duties she can´t avoid to miss. And, could anyone imagine how to stay everyday with somebody you love and see it dying?? It´s hard for everybody.....don´t blame Sophie of beeing a horrible daughter!!

Plenty of people have stayed by their loved one's bedside in their last days of life. I know my own friends have done it as their mothers died in the hospital, each after long battles with cancer. If it is someone you love, to be with them is the most important thing, no matter how hard it is or what other things you need to do.

I personally don't subscribed to the "duties be damned" theory, and I truly hope that Sophie doesn't either. If your only mother is sick, even if you disappoint some people by missing organizations, what is the priority? To be with your mom, not to receive some flowers and to shake some hands.

When my own mom was in recovery from cancer I missed weeks of school at a time to be with her. I couldn't imagine being anywhere else but to be at my mom's bedside. Even if I had gone to school, I would not have been able to concentrate on whatever the teachers were saying because all I would think about was my mom.

This speculation is getting out of hand. We don't know exactly what's wrong with Mary, and we don't know how serious it is. Cancer, even colon cancer, is not likely to kill someone in a matter of weeks. And Sophie obviously feels her mother is well enough for her to go to Madeira. If Sophie can leave her mother's bedside for a holiday, surely she can leave her mother's bedside for work. The fact that she has gone on holiday makes me believe that Mary's not at death's door.

This news item was posted on another newsgroup. I haven't found the article myself, but it has been confirmed that it appeared in the Mail on Sunday on the 29th of May.

The Earl & Countess of Wessex are said to be in a dilemma over their
daughters eye problem. She was born with exotropia, a rare condition but
one requiring surgery to correct it when it's permanent, as seems to be the
case with Lady Louise.
She will need surgery and it should be carried out before her second
birthday in November to "maximise her chances of proper vision."
But the Mail on Sunday claims that they haven't made the decision to go
ahead yet because they are worried about the operation itself and in
particular, having a general anaesthetic. To correct this particular kind
of sqint themuscles on either side of the eye are adjusted to bring it back
to the centre.

Louise has had several tests to check that there is nothing more sinister
behind the problem.
According to this article, Sophie has decided to 'step back' a bit from
royal duties and confine herself to duties close to home, prompting
speculation that she and her husband hope to have another baby.
The Countess has had a very worrying time lately, with the worry over the
baby but also over her mother who has had an operation for a tumour in her
colon last week.

Claire said:
This news item was posted on another newsgroup. I haven't found the article myself, but it has been confirmed that it appeared in the Mail on Sunday on the 29th of May.

The Earl & Countess of Wessex are said to be in a dilemma over their
daughters eye problem. She was born with exotropia, a rare condition but
one requiring surgery to correct it when it's permanent, as seems to be the
case with Lady Louise.
She will need surgery and it should be carried out before her second
birthday in November to "maximise her chances of proper vision."
But the Mail on Sunday claims that they haven't made the decision to go
ahead yet because they are worried about the operation itself and in
particular, having a general anaesthetic. To correct this particular kind
of sqint themuscles on either side of the eye are adjusted to bring it back
to the centre.
Louise has had several tests to check that there is nothing more sinister
behind the problem.
According to this article, Sophie has decided to 'step back' a bit from
royal duties and confine herself to duties close to home, prompting
speculation that she and her husband hope to have another baby.
The Countess has had a very worrying time lately, with the worry over the
baby but also over her mother who has had an operation for a tumour in her
colon last week.

its would be so true!

Sophie will leave from Prince Edward because she wouldnt join with him because she needs more support with her mother and also her daughter Lady Louise had eye surgery.

and i would agree about that! she and Prince Edward would wanted to add more baby because Sophie is in her 40's because she is older mother right now but she would agree with Prince Edward about more baby hope so!

Sara Boyce

p.s. have any news from Sophie yets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom