Norwegian Royal Family Current Events Part 3: May 2018 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

Welcome to Part 3 of the thread for the Current Events of the Norwegian Royal Family.

You can find the old thread here:

** Norwegian Royal Family Current Events 2: December 2006 - April 2018 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks eya! :flowers:

Royal House article with google translation:
Fire nye skulpturer - kongehuset.no - translation

NRK article with video and google translation:
Prinsesse Ingrid Alexandra avduket nye skulpturer - NRK - translation

--------------------

Photo gallery from Getty Images: Norwegian Royals Attend Unveiling Of New Sculptures

--------------------

The television-coverage:
TV2 News Channel sent it live with their royal expert Kjell Arne Totland.
Unfortunately, I'm still in the UK, but I was able to see it via my TV2 Sumo subscription.

Last edited:
Last edited:
:previous: Thanks eya! :flowers:

Royal House article with google translation:
Fire nye skulpturer - kongehuset.no - translation

NRK article with video and google translation:
Prinsesse Ingrid Alexandra avduket nye skulpturer - NRK - translation

--------------------

Photo gallery from Getty Images: Norwegian Royals Attend Unveiling Of New Sculptures

--------------------

The television-coverage:
TV2 News Channel sent it live with their royal expert Kjell Arne Totland.
Unfortunately, I'm still in the UK, but I was able to see it via my TV2 Sumo subscription.
Well, I'm back in Norway again, and now I found out that it was sent live on NRK's website as well. - Watch from 31:30 when the Queen and Princess Ingrid arrives: Prinsessen avduker skulpturer - NRK

Royal Central article:
Princess Ingrid Alexandra and Queen Sonja unveiled new statues in Palace Park in Oslo – Royal Central
Her Royal Highness Princess Ingrid Alexandra of Norway, unveiled this Friday four new sculptures in Princess Ingrid Alexandra’s Sculpture Park in the Palace Park by the Royal Palace in Oslo. The Princess was accompanied by her grandmother, Her Majesty Queen Sonja.

The sculptures that Princess Ingrid Alexandra unveiled were the winners of a contest among schoolchildren from Oslo, Akershus, Østfold, Vestfold, Buskerud and Telemark.

--------------------

King Harald inspected his Guard and distributed honours today, June 8. Crown Prince Haakon was present as well:

** kongehuset.no: Fikk Gardens Ur av Kongen ** translation **

Royal Central article:
King Harald and Crown Prince Haakon inspect the Norwegian Royal Guard – Royal Central
On Friday morning, His Majesty King Harald and His Royal Highness Crown Prince Haakon of Norway visited the Huseby Leir military camp in Oslo to perform their annual inspection of His Majesty The King’s Guard.

The Huseby Leir camp is located west in the capital of Oslo and is the headquarters of the Royal Life Guard.

Traditionally, the inspection takes place in early June each year. Hundreds of soldiers stood up when the King and Crown Prince arrived at Huseby. The King started the review with the greeting, “Good day my guards!” And he received “Good Day our good King!” as a response.

According to Dagsrevyen (Norway's largest News program), the King was, due to the problems with his foot, unable to inspect the guards, so they had to march in front of him instead.

Last edited:
Reactions: eya
Last edited:
:previous: Thanks iceflower! :flowers:

A video from the TV2 program ''Good Morning Norway'' - from inside Art Stable (one can see the Queen in the background from 05:30): De kongelige bunader på utstilling - TV2

NRK article in Nynorsk (New Norwegian), which makes the google translation poorer than usual:
Slottet stiller ut dei kongelege bunadene - NRK - translation

Text of the Queen's speech with google translation:
Tradisjon og inspirasjon - Velkomsttale - kongehuset.no - translation

Royal Central article - with video and photos from Oskar Aanmoen:
New exhibition on cultural heritage in Queen Sonja’s Art Stable – Royal Central
It was on Tuesday that Queen Sonja, together with Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Crown Prince Haakon and Princess Astrid, opened the new exhibition in Queen Sonja’s Art Stable in Oslo. The exhibition “Tradition and Inspiration” is about Norwegian cultural heritage in the royal collections.

The exhibit shows Norwegian national costumes that are used by the Norwegian Royal Family together with a selection of artworks and a variety of cultural history treasures. All have used Norwegian and Sami folk art and crafts as starting points.

Norway Today article: Queen Sonja has opened a bunad exhibition - Norway Today
Queen Sonja has opened the exhibition “Tradition and inspiration” at Slottsplassen in Oslo, earlier today. Norwegian bunads are an important part of what is shown.

The exhibition includes bunades from Akershus, Rogaland, Vest-Agder, Setesdal, Namdalen, Telemark, Hordaland, Oppland, Buskerud, Møre og Romsdal.

The Queen, Crown Prince, Crown Princess and Princess Astrid have all lent their personal bunads to the exhibition. They were all present during Tuesday’s opening in Queen Sonja Kunststall.

--------------------

I plan to visit the exhibition when I go to Oslo next week, really looking forward to it.

Last edited:
:previous:

That'll surely be interesting, enjoy it! :flowers:

Yesterday, June 19, King Harald and Crown Prince Haakon received UN Secretary General António Guterres for a meeting at the Royal Palace:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

:previous: Yes, I will, thank you! :flowers:

Here is another photo of the audience with the Secretary General: photo

And as all of you can see, HM was very happy.

--------------------

BTW, I have updated my previous post about the opening of the exhibition yesterday (which I wrote this morning) with another english article.

Last edited:

King Harald, Queen Sonja, Crown Prince Haakon, Crown Princess Mette-Marit, Princess Märtha Louise and the children visited the University Centre in Svalbard on the occasion of the Centre's 25th anniversary today, August 9. Afterwards they paid a visit to Svalbard Museum.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 ** Pic 5 **

** kongehuset instagram photos **

** tv2: Hele kongefamilien på Svalbard-tur **

** kongehuset.no: Kongefamilien på Svalbard **

** abcnyheter: Hele kongefamilien besøkte Universitetssenteret på Svalbard **

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks iceflower - it must have been quite a change of weather for them to wrap up so warm! The children seem to be enjoying themselves and Ingrid Alexandra and Maud Angelica seem to be particularly close, which is nice to see. She seems to get on well with all her Behn cousins but seems to be particularly fond of Maud Angelica.
I love the photo of Harald with Emma Tallulah, such a tender moment between grandfather and granddaughter.

:previous: Thanks iceflower & eya! :flowers:

About The University Centre in Svalbard:
The University Centre in Svalbard, which was established in 1993 (hence the 25th anniversary), is a Norwegian state-owned share-holding company that is involved in research and provides some university-level education in Arctic studies. - The courses offered fall into four main science disciplines: Arctic biology, Arctic geology, Arctic geophysics and Arctic technology.
The centre is the world’s northernmost research and higher education institution, located in Longyearbyen at 78º N latitude. - And it is still housed in its original building, which after a rebuilding became part of the Svalbard Science Center in 2006.

Read more here: The University Centre in Svalbard (UNIS) - about us

--------------------

About The Svalbard Museum:
The Svalbard Museum, which was founded in 1979 and opened in 1981, is a natural and cultural history museum for Svalbard and the Arctic.
Its collections consist of artefacts, photographs, art, archival art and books (over 40,000 objects in total).
The museum, formerly housed in a converted pig farm, moved into the new Svalbard Science Center in 2006, which was opened by the King.

Read more here: The Svalbard Museum

--------------------

And then to the visit itself:
Well, prior to the engagements on Thursday, The Regent Couple, The CP Family and Märtha with her children went on a week-long arctic cruise around the the coast of Svalbard on board the Royal Yacht.
And when the royals spoke to the media, NRK's reporter asked how the youngsters had tackled a week without internet? Well, the King answered laughingly that ''he thought it had been worse for the adults,'' ie the Queen, the CP couple and Märtha.
His Majesty OTOH (like QMII) doesn't even own a PC/mobile phone.

Those who understand Norwegian can watch it from 21:10 in this video

--------------------

In other news: Norwegian Royal Family returns to work after eventful summer – Royal Central
On Thursday, the Norwegian Royal Family concluded their summer holiday with a week-long cruise with the royal yacht to the islands of Svalbard. Friday was, therefore, the first official workday for the royals. King Harald met with his government to begin the autumn’s weekly council of states which are held at the Royal Palace in Oslo.

This also marks the end of the tourist season at the Royal Palace in Oslo and the King and Queen moving back from the Bygdøy royal estate to the Royal Palace in downtown Oslo. In Norway, the King and Queen change their official residences during the summer. From early May to mid-August. The royal estate at Bygdøy (Bygdøy Kongsgård) is the home of Their Majesties. This house is smaller, more private and the King and Queen can relax here.

Last edited:
:previous: Thanks iceflower! :flowers:

English Royal House article: The King and Crown Prince visit exercise - The Royal House of Norway
The King and the Crown Prince received a wide-ranging briefing on the Trident Juncture military exercise – the largest NATO exercise in Norway since the 1980s, during the Cold War. Some 50 000 soldiers, 250 aircraft, 65 ships and 10 000 land vehicles from 31 nations have been assembled for the military exercise, which has taken place mainly in Trøndelag, Møre og Romsdal, Oppland, Hedmark and Østfold counties as well as in Swedish and Finnish air space and sea areas. King Harald and Crown Prince Haakon visited the exercise in Røros municipality, in Trøndelag county.

--------------------

English article by Oskar Aanmoen: King Harald and Crown Prince Haakon participate in the NATO exercise Trident Juncture – Royal Central

--------------------

While TV2's royal expert, Kjell Arne Totland, had this to say: ''Dette er bilder for historiebøkene. I årenes løp har de begge besøkt og deltatt i utallige militærøvelser, men aldri deltatt sammen, kun hver for seg.
Så jeg tror vi må kunne se det som et ytterligere bevis på denne NATO-øvelsens størrelse og betydning at far og sønn denne gang kommer sammen.''

Translated to: ''These are pictures for the history books. Over the years, they have both visited and participated in countless military-exercises, but never together, only individually.
So, I think we must see it as a further proof of the size and significance of this NATO exercise that father and son this time come together.''

Last edited:
Last edited:

Here's another photo of Ingrid Alexandra and Haakon today:

** Pic **

:previous: Thanks eya, fairy tale & iceflower! :flowers:

About the Princess: Well, she looked and acted like a pro, saying the words with confidence: "Jeg døper deg 'Kronprins Haakon'. Måtte hell og lykke følge deg og ditt mannskap om bord på dine oppdrag i nord og sør.'' (''I baptize you 'Crown Prince Haakon.' May good luck and happiness follow you and your crew aboard on your missions in north and south.'') - After the christening, she (and CP Haakon) talked to the media, saying: ''Jeg interesserer meg veldig for havet og klimaendringene. Det var en viktig grunn til at jeg ville døpe skipet.'' (''I am very interested in the sea and climate-change. That was an important reason to why I wanted to baptize the ship.'')

The royal family visited Svalbard this summer. There, the Princess saw the damage caused by climate change on close hand. ''Isbreen vi gikk på hadde smeltet de siste årene. Det var også spesielt å se at det var så mye plastikk der det nesten ikke var folk. Mesteparten av søppelet ser vi jo ikke, fordi det er på havbunnen. Derfor er det så fint at denne båten kan gi oss kunnskaper om det som er der ute.'' (''The iceberg we walked on had melted in recent years. - It was also special to see that there was so much plastic where there were almost no people. Most of the trash can't be seen, because it's on the seabed. That's why it's so nice that this boat [and yes, she said båt/boat, and not skip/ship] can provide us with knowledge of what's out there.'')

NRK's reporter asked, how can young people contribute? ''Gjennom å være med i organisasjoner, men også gjennom å for eksempel plukke søppel på tur eller kildesortere i hverdagen.'' ("Through participating in organizations, but also by picking garbage on a trip, or source-sorting in everyday life," said the Princess.)

About the Crown Prince: As some of you've probably understood, the ship was named after CP Haakon, so it was therefore fitting that he was the one accompanying the Princess on this engagement, where he also held a speech: H.K.H. Kronprinsens tale på kaia i Tromsø i forbindelse med dåpen av forskningsskipet «Kronprins Haakon», 17. november 2018 -kongehuset.no.
(Use your owns google-translations to read it, since I don't bother to post them, when they're not working.)

About the ship, from her own website: FF Kronprins Haakon.

About the TV-coverage: Well, we've come to a point here where almost every ''special'' royal engagements are televised, so this was sent live on both NRK2 and TV2 News Channel.

BTW: See the whole NRK broadcast a bit down in the NRK article posted by fairy tale above.

Last edited:
Thanks ROYAL NORWAY for the translation!

I saw the Princess live talking to the reporter and I was impressed. Of course I did not understand what she was saying but was so comfortable to speak, maybe because it was and the subject that interested her very much.

What a lovely day for father-daughter!

The trip to polaria went with dog sledding. The princess got control and the Crown Prince was a passenger.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsOhEfyXcAMwqS2.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsOhEf1WsAAofer.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqSsk-nn9fX/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqSjuWZHxyx/

Last edited:
Quite bizar that something small like baptizing a ship is televised live (even when it's done by the hereditary princess).

When Ingrid-Alexandra was younger I wondered whether the role of queen would be a good for her but the approach of letting her undertake engagements once in a while seems to work really well and she is doing them with great confidence especially considering her young age.

Ingrid Alexandra seems like a lovely young lady; quite confident and sociable. She seems to have a particular fondness for dogs - I loved the photos of her meeting the sledge dogs.

Quite bizar that something small like baptizing a ship is televised live (even when it's done by the hereditary princess).

When Ingrid-Alexandra was younger I wondered whether the role of queen would be a good for her but the approach of letting her undertake engagements once in a while seems to work really well and she is doing them with great confidence especially considering her young age.

Well, Norway is a small country, so you cannot compare it with bigger nations where every now and then more or less "important" things seem to happen all the time. So in that regard, for Norway this was an event not to underestimated:

A highly modern researching ship, carrying the name of the future monarch, launched by the next heiress at one of her first major engagements and further more 2 government ministers also present, this is quite something that could well and truely be televised!
For me life coverages can provide you much better the feeling and atmosphere of the certain event which is covered, which short 1 or 2 minute clips never could!

Thanks ROYAL NORWAY for the translation!

I saw the Princess live talking to the reporter and I was impressed. Of course I did not understand what she was saying but was so comfortable to speak, maybe because it was and the subject that interested her very much.

What a lovely day for father-daughter!

The trip to polaria went with dog sledding. The princess got control and the Crown Prince was a passenger.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsOhEfyXcAMwqS2.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DsOhEf1WsAAofer.jpg
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqSsk-nn9fX/
https://www.instagram.com/p/BqSjuWZHxyx/
You're very welcome - and thanks for the photos! :flowers:

Read more here about: Polaria - Wikipedia (been there myself BTW, an amazing experience).

The Princess (accompanied by the Crown Prince) was there to attend a mini-seminar about the Arctic, for young people.

Royal House article with several photos - kongehuset.no.

---------------------

Well, as I mentioned in post 20, every ''major/special'' royal event/engagement is televised here now (with the exception of inward state visits, if it's not from a major country). - And yes, I will categorize the baptism of the world's most advanced icebreaking polar-research-vessel as a ''special'' (although not major) royal event/engagement in a country with a population of around 5.3 million.

--------------------

Well, Norway is a small country, so you cannot compare it with bigger nations where every now and then more or less "important" things seem to happen all the time. So in that regard, for Norway this was an event not to underestimated:

A highly modern researching ship, carrying the name of the future monarch, launched by the next heiress at one of her first major engagements and further more 2 government ministers also present, this is quite something that could well and truely be televised!
For me life coverages can provide you much better the feeling and atmosphere of the certain event which is covered, which short 1 or 2 minute clips never could!
Agree! - But regardless of whether the ship had been named after the Crown Prince, or been christened by the 14-year-old hereditary-princess or not, it would have been broadcasted anyway.
How do I know that? Well, because almost all major royal christenings/launchings of ships/airplanes and stuff like that have been televised in the past, especially when the King does it.

Last edited:
Any idea how many people watch the live coverage on tv?

To me this seems like something that would be a news item in the 8 o clock news (which is the main one in the Netherlands) not live coverage worthy.

To me this seems like something that would be a news item in the 8 o clock news (which is the main one in the Netherlands) not live coverage worthy.

Well, both Royal Norway and I provided you with some reasons why it might have been covered live which most of us, I´ m sure, are very happy about...!:ermm::whistling:

Well, both Royal Norway and I provided you with some reasons why it might have been covered live which most of us, I´ m sure, are very happy about...!:ermm::whistling:

Well, I wasn't contradicting that (and see why the topic itself made it even more newsworthy than just the fuyure queen baptizing a ship) but still think it would have been handled differently elsewhere but that's fine. It was covered live so apparently those in charge of Norwegian television were willing to spend money to do so, that's why I wondered how many people actually watched if this was such a big news story in Norway. Any thoughts?

Well, that's difficult to say! - But there's a lot of retirees and working-people (from their offices) who watches live-events in the afternoon (such as major royal engagements, parliamentary-debates in the Storting, political press-conferences, etc) on NRK1 (Norway's largest TV-Channel), on NRK2 and on TV2 News Channel (which has a daily viewership of around 400,000).

Well, I wasn't contradicting that (and see why the topic itself made it even more newsworthy than just the fuyure queen baptizing a ship) but still think it would have been handled differently elsewhere but that's fine. It was covered live so apparently those in charge of Norwegian television were willing to spend money to do so, that's why I wondered how many people actually watched if this was such a big news story in Norway. Any thoughts?
NRK (the state-owned Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation): Is funded through licence, and is therefore instructed by the Storting (viewer-potential or not) to cover all major news/cultural events that are of importance to the nation (such as a ''royal christening of the world's most advanced icebreaking polar-research-vessel'').
The TV2 Group (Norway's largest commercial media company): Receives state-funding, and is therefore instructed by the Storting to do much of the same.

English article by Oskar Aanmoen: Princess Ingrid Alexandra baptises new research vessel – Royal Central.

BTW: His translations of what the Princess said are pretty poor, so see post 20 for some ''more correct'' ones from me (if I may say so). ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom