Princess Mabel, Countess Luana & Countess Zaria, Current Events Part 1 (Oct 2013 - )

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Princess Mabel also attended the final day of the AIDS conference in Amsterdam today, July 27. She participated in the session "'Parliamentarians leading the fight against AIDS" and presented a prize for research on infections and treatment for women and girls:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

Happy 50th Birthday to Princess Mabel!

" Princess Mabel turns fifty years on Saturday. She celebrates that with family and friends, the princess told the ANP. ,, I look back on fifty years of enormous joy and intense sadness,, heavy lessons and beautiful successes, warm friendships and true love.
"I still have some big plans to help make the world structurally better and fairer in the coming years," Mabel said on the eve of her 50th birthday. "There is a lot to be grateful for and to look forward to.""

https://www.nd.nl/nieuws/actueel/binnenland/jarige-prinses-mabel-nog-vol-plannen.3090979.lynkx

A bittersweet milestone birthday for the Princess without her beloved husband!

Princess Mabel supports the AIDS campaign "I stand for love" and was pictured in London yesterday:

** Pic ** anp gallery **

Last edited:

Princess Mabel attended the board meeting of the European Council on Foreign Relations in Berlin, Germany, on December 4:

** Pic **

Last edited:
Princess Mabel attend at a reception hosted by Countess of Wessex at Buckingham Palace for Women Peace builders on International Women's Day on 8 March

https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...tess-of-wessex-at-palace-picture-id1129218666
https://media.gettyimages.com/photo...st-during-a-reception-at-picture-id1129218662

Princess Mabel at a dinner for the European Council on Foreign Relations hosted by the Swedish ambassador in London. Princess Mabel stepping down as co-chair after over 12 years. But staying on emeritus chair.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1qARXAWoAABqZd.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1qARXAXQAEKBuC.jpg
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D1qARW_WkAk2e8X.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, an honour for Mabel to have been asked to take this on. I assume it's mainly based on her professional experience.

I never heard her talk about her father (mr Los; not mr Wisse Smit) before; so, it's rather special that she starts with recounting how his stories inspired her to look further than 'the Netherlands'; and realize that the world was not only different but also unequal in terms of opportunities. This planted the seed to fight against injustice, inequality and poverty.

She also mentions her work in former Yugoslavia and the political murder on her friend and British PM Jo Cox; and how they tried to respond by sharing love and empathy instead of hatred.

She ends with a call for action: to do 'small deeds of justice' in daily life.

Last edited:
are mabel and her daughters still based in UK?

are mabel and her daughters still based in UK?

Yes, the princess and the two countesses still live in Hammersmith. Once I have seen it described as "4 floors city mansion facing the Thames riverside". For the rest it is unclear where exactly she resides. She can easily afford it, anyway.

Last edited:
Today, March 4, Princess Mabel met with students of the De Leijgraaf regional training centre for senior secondary vocational education in Oss to talk about freedom and advised them to keep thinking critically: "I think we often forget that we can all make a difference":

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 **

Princess Mabel has expanded her private wealth and has now a personal fortune of 560 million Euro (650 million US Dollar). This is mainly based, besides other investments, on her stock portfolio in Adyen, the online payment platform, which was co-founded by her late husband, Prince Friso of Orange-Nassau.

It is not old money in "dead property" (inherited estates, castles, artworks) but in tradeable stock exchange portfolios.

Besides the personal wealth, the Princess can get all expenses "for the execution of the royal dignity" reimbursed by the Foundation Functional Costs House of Orange-Nassau II which was established by Queen Beatrix in 1998 to provide capital to her two youngest sons whom never were recipients of a dotation by the State.

With this Queen Beatrix followed the example of here mother. In 1968 Queen Juliana established the Foundation Functional Costs House of Orange-Nassau I, to provide capital to her three youngest daughters whom never were recipients of a dotation by the State.

We may expect King Willem-Alexander to establish the Foundation Functional Costs House Orange-Nassau III, to provide capital to his two youngest daughters whom never will be recipients of a dotation by the State.

The late Prince Friso and his cousin Bernhard van Vollenhoven are the best known examples of self-made multi-millionaires in the royal family.

https://www.quotenet.nl/quote-500/a34548942/quote-500-2020-dit-zijn-de-rijkste-bners/

Last edited:
What kind of expenses are you thinking of in reference to the 'for the execution of the royal dignity' given that she is not a member of the royal house and has hardly any activities? The only 2 activities a year I can think of are the Prince Claus Prijs and the Prins Friso Ingenieursprijs.

What kind of expenses are you thinking of in reference to the 'for the execution of the royal dignity' given that she is not a member of the royal house and has hardly any activities? The only 2 activities a year I can think of are the Prince Claus Prijs and the Prins Friso Ingenieursprijs.

I can only think about attending royal weddings, funerals, festivities and ceremonies. About public appearances. Travel, accomodation, representation and staffing will be provided for. See Princess Irene and Princess Christina. For more than 50 respectively 40 years no members of the Royal House but nevertheless princesses of the House of Orange-Nassau.

Princess Mabel was in Oslo (anniversaries Olav), Stockholm (wedding Victoria), The Hague (40th birthdays of WA and Máxima, 50th birthday WA), Amsterdam (Investiture festivities Dutch Visit), London (State Banquet WA), amongst other events. Now she is a very wealthy person, but imagine she had no euro at all, still she can rely on the Foundation. I do not rule out the Princess does not reimburse any costs but I think she has professionals for that.

Last edited:
I can only think about attending royal weddings, funerals, festivities and ceremonies. About public appearances. Travel, accomodation, representation and staffing will be provided for. See Princess Irene and Princess Christina. For more than 50 respectively 40 years no members of the Royal House but nevertheless princesses of the House of Orange-Nassau.

Princess Mabel was in Oslo (anniversaries Olav), Stockholm (wedding Victoria), The Hague (40th birthdays of WA and Máxima, 50th birthday WA), Amsterdam (Investiture festivities Dutch Visit), London (State Banquet WA), amongst other events. Now she is a very wealthy person, but imagine she had no euro at all, still she can rely on the Foundation. I do not rule out the Princess does not reimburse any costs but I think she has professionals for that.

This is all speculation on your part,the reimbursement bit,you are aware of that I hope.Because I am.

This is all speculation on your part,the reimbursement bit,you are aware of that I hope.Because I am.

No speculation at all. It is exactly the description of these Foundations in the public registers:

Fund for Functional Costs of the House Orange-Nassau I (founded 1968)

Purpose: to provide contributions from own resources to each of the youngest three daughters of H.M. The Queen to combat functional costs associated with their position as such, provided that they do not receive an allowance from the State.

Reg. No. 41150999

Directors of the Foundation:

P.J.A.M. Nijnens,

J.N. van Lunteren,

S.D.F. Kaempfer.

Fund for Functional Costs of the House Orange-Nassau II (founded 1998)

Purpose: to provide contributions from own resources to each of the youngest two sons of H.M. The Queen to combat functional costs associated with their position as such, provided that they do not receive an allowance from the State.

Reg. No. 27173125.

E. Wiersma,

J. Baars,

M. Hennis.

https://zoek.officielebekendmakingen.nl/kst-31700-I-4.html

Last edited:
Thank you, Duc, you are well-informed as always. It is interesting that even members of the family who do not receive a state allowance are permitted to carry out "functions".

Thank you, Duc, you are well-informed as always. It is interesting that even members of the family who do not receive a state allowance are permitted to carry out "functions".

It is about engagements they have as princes and princesses of the House Orange-Nassau, not as members of the Royal House. Let us say that they attend a banquet with the Fürst von Waldeck und Pyrmont or send a cadeau to the Fürst von Thurn und Taxis. I can imagine these are costs they have because they simply are princes and princesses of Orange-Nassau.

When Princess Margriet (in her time quite regularly) and Prince Constantijn (in his case only incidentally) have a public engagement for the Royal House, then their costs are reimbursed by the Royal House (from the King's Budget), not by this Fund.

Also the De Bourbon de Parmes have a similar fund. From the conflict around Princess Margarita and Edwin de Roy van Zuydewijn we know that they could withdraw money from this Fund, not via a bank but by payment requests (also in cash) to the Thesaurie at Noordeinde Palace. There were raised eyebrows back then in Parliament that apparently the Queen's Treasury acted as bank for "private persons". Because of these raised eyebrows, in the meantime Foundations from non-members of the Royal House have been replaced to administration offices outside the palace.

Lys Foundation (established 2005)

Purpose: adequate legal protection of the shared assets, so that the interests of those involved can be safeguarded, by means of acting as manager and custodian of the closed-end mutual fund: Lys Foundation.

Reg. nr. 27281319

The Duke of Parma
Prince Jaime de Bourbon de Parme
Princess Maria Carolina de Bourbon de Parme

Last edited:
In virtual presence of Princess Mabel, Jewish resistance fighter and Ravensbrück survivor Selma van de Perre (98) was appointed as Knight in the Order of Orange-Nassau by Dutch Ambassador Kvan Oosterom during a ceremony in London yesterday, February 12:

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 **

Nice to see Mrs van de Perre receive some official recognition. She wrote a book about her war experiences just a few years ago:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Selma-van-de-Perre/e/B084C5W5CV?ref=dbs_a_mng_rwt_scns_share

Good to see Pss Mabel there though I wonder in what capacity she is there.
I am not sure if the Princess is still in her house in Breukeleveen or if she has returned to London.

---
Not noted yet in this thread, but in november last year it was estimated that the value of her assets has grown to 560 million Euros. This increase is mostly due to the large amount of stocks in the company Ayden, which was an investment made by her late husband.

https://www.ad.nl/royalty/ondanks-coronacrisis-is-vermogen-prinses-mabel-bijna-verdubbeld~a8bb0444/

Last edited:
The increase of the Princess' wealth is unbelievable. It is a pity the late Prince Friso did not see how succesful his investment portfolio is.

Back at the time the media portrayed him as the family's investment banker. No idea if he indeed was managing his mother's private fortune as well. Their investments go via trust offices to hide private details.

Quote estimated the family's fortune on 1,1 billion Euro but not so long ago, on behalf of the King, was denied he had shares in Royal Dutch Shell, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and the likes. The late Prince Friso shows real rendement is not with those mastodonts but with starting companies in emerging sectors and markets.

Last edited:
Princess Mabel have receive a covid vaccine today:

"Grateful to have received a free #COVID19 vaccine today (UK resident, age 50+), I will now donate to
@vaccineforward to make it possible for people in the world’s poorest countries to get vaccinated as well. No one is safe until everyone is safe. Join me! http://bit.ly/3vBX68K"

Princess Mabel participated in a virtual meeting of the European Council on Foreign Relations yesterday, March 30:

** Pic **

Back
Top Bottom