Princess Kako & Prince Hisahito Current Events Part 3: October 2021 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

Welcome to part 3 of the thread for the Current Events of Princess Kako and Prince Hisahito!

You can find the old thread here:

** Princesses Mako,Kako & Prince Hisahito Current Events Part 2: May 2017 - October 2021 **

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

On November 22nd, Princess Kako remotely attended the 4th Urban Greenery award ceremony from Akasaka East residence and sent a video message. Last year's ceremony was canceled. Her sister, Mako Komuro, used to attend this event 2017-2019.

Photo: Sankei

Reactions: eya
Princess Kako turns 27 on December 29. Video and photos were taken on December 3 at Akasaka Estate.

Photos: Mainichi, Asahi, Sankei

In Photos: Princess Kako, niece of Emperor Naruhito, turns 27 - The Mainichi

Japan's Princess Kako turns 27, duties still curbed due to pandemic - Kyodo News
[...]

The younger daughter of Crown Prince Fumihito and Crown Princess Kiko has expressed concern for those affected by the pandemic after receiving briefings from experts, as well as gratitude for those who have supported the vulnerable, according to the Imperial Household Agency.

With this year marking the 10th anniversary of the 2011 earthquake and tsunami that devastated northeastern Japan, she also expressed condolences to the victims as she reflected on previous visits to Fukushima and Miyagi prefectures, the agency said.

The princess has wished happiness for her elder sister former princess Mako [...]

A close aide said the princess is "making efforts to engage in the activities that Ms. Mako engaged in."

In October, she took over the honorary presidency of the Japan Tennis Association following her sister's marriage, and attended an urban green infrastructure ceremony in November that Mako used to attend while wearing a green dress from her sister.

[...]

Also that month, the princess attended an event commemorating the centennial anniversary of the Girl Scouts movement in Japan, where she was impressed by efforts to realize gender equality, according to the agency.
TBS/JNN compiled a video of Princess Kako from birth to 27
ETA: Japan's Princess Kako Turns 27, Wishing for Sister's Happiness | Nippon.com
[...]

The princess [...] started working at the Japanese Federation of the Deaf as a part-time employee in May this year.

She has been doing paperwork and other tasks remotely about three days a week, trying hard to be a help to the federation, according to the agency.
Princess Kako turns 27, wishes sister happiness in her new life | The Asahi Shimbun

NHK reports birthday events for Princess Kako will not be held because her grandfather Professor Emeritus Tatsuhiko Kawashima died in November and her mother Crown Princess Kiko is in mourning.

Last edited:
She seems such a kind and thoughtful young lady. How wonderful that she wore her sister's dress to an engagement that previously Mako would have attended.

I love that walk through. A little awkward and cheesy to stare "thoughtfully" at trees whilst nature-ish music plays but she did well and looks great. The grounds are definitely gorgeous.

There's a lot of pressure on her with her sister starting her new life and it seems she's stepping up to the plate and the info the IHA put across seems genuinely thoughtful, although it's been filtered through several layers of course, some personality still comes through such as wearing her sister's dress to an engagement, which I love.

I didn't realise that the Scouting movement had made it's way to Japan so quickly.

Last edited:
Superficial, but she is so pretty, too (in addition to being kind and loyal), and even manages to squeeze a little style out of the ultra-conservative IJF princess uniform. I hope she doesn't have to deal with too much pressure in the wake of her sister's departure.

A reporter asked about media coverage of Prince Hisahito's high school at the regular Crown Prince household press conference on January 21. Takaharu Kachi, top aide to the Akishino family, did not have a response at the time.

On January 24th, Kachi released a written response questioning/complaining about the weekly magazines and Internet reports of a minor based on speculation and asked for understanding, mentioning Prince Hisahito is studying hard to go on to higher education.

"In general, what is the attitude of the media to report on the advancement of minors who are entering the examination period on a weekly basis based on speculation?"

"[Prince Hisahito] is currently studying hard to go on to higher education, and I hope you will watch over [him] quietly."

Sources: Mainichi, Asahi

Background:
- Prince Hisahito, a 3rd year at Ochanomizu University Junior High, cannot continue with the Ochanomizu system because its senior high school is an all-girls school.
- Senior high school entrance exams are typically held in February and date varies per region and public/private school
- Japanese school year ends in March and starts in April

So no one knows where he will go to high school yet? Shouldn’t the entrance exams have been long over by now?

I assume Prince Hisahito's family knows where he applied and his top choices. The IHA will announce when ready. Usually entrance exams are held in February although some are held in January or March, some examples below:

Gakushuin Girls Senior High School - entrance exam/admissions for 2022
A entrance exam (about 90 girls): February 1 with next day results
B entrance exam (about 40 girls): February 3 with next day results

Gakushuin Boys Senior High School - entrance exam/admissions for 2022 (about 20 boys)
Entrance exam: February 14 with results that afternoon or February 15

Ochanomizu University Senior High for 2022
Entrance exam: February 13 with results on February 16

Tokyo Metropolitan High Schools for 2022 (page 2 is in English)
Recommendation based admission:
Entrance exam: January 26-27 with results on February 2

Academic test based admission, 1st round for full or part-time:
Entrance exam: February 21 with results on March 1

Academic test based admission, 2nd round:
Full time, entrance exam: March 9, results on March 15
Part time, entrance exam: March 25, results on March 28

At the regular press conference on January 27th, IHA Grand Steward Yasuhiko Nishimura also commented on media coverage surrounding Prince Hisahito's high school destination. His response was similar to Akishino family top aide Takaharu Kachi's written statement, "[Is] it good to report on minors based on speculation?" and "hope to watch over [him] quietly."

Source: Jiji

On January 28th at the Akishino family regular press conference, a reporter asked Takaharu Kachi about weekly magazines speculating on marriage for Princess Kako. Kachi replied such reports were "regrettable" and requested "to watch over [her] quietly" same as the case for reporting on Prince Hisahito.

Source: Asahi

It appears the reporter(s) are needling the Akishino family... what do you think about this? what do you think about that? Maybe questions about media coverage of Fumihito, Kiko or Mako next?

Last edited:
It's interesting what is considered "needling" in different cultures. In the UK speculation in the media over where the little Cambridges may eventually go to senior school is considered fairly standard, albeit a little eye roll worthy and no one is actually expecting or even pushing for an official answer (because 100 articles on different schools and different houses they may move to are much more lucrative).

I can see why the media is interested. Gakushuin or somewhere similar and everything is as expected, a left field choice like Mako and International Christian University (different level of education I know) and well.....

Considering the IHA made comments about Princesses signalling that they may get married fairly recently I can see why there is speculation, and that's before you get into the Mako situation and how that may or may not impact her sister. It's very unfortunate for her but it's not surprising that Kako's theoretical engagement is being brought up and scrutinised.

I imagine that there will be heightened gossip about the family for a while and resultant statements from the IHA as well.

Also I don't think being Crown Prince to one's own brother helps in terms of gossip either, generally speaking.

Media has speculated on Japan's Imperial family before: marriage (especially Naruhito's and most recently Mako's), rifts, Masako's adjustment disorder, Aiko's health, Aiko's university, accusing Michiko of destroying Emperor Showa's beloved grove of trees, etc. It's rare for the Imperial family to address such reports or reporters asking for comment.

There wasn't much officially on Mako's marriage limbo until the end. Since her father's birthday statement explored the topic of media/Internet speculation and possibly standards for response, it appears the IHA press association is giving the Akishino family the opportunity to respond to... everything now? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I don't know if that's a good or bad action. It'll be interesting to see how the IHA or each household reacts. Perhaps we'll simply get a string of "regrettable" and "watch over [him/her/them/us] quietly" aka "no comment"

Thank you so much for your coverage of these developments, Prisma.

Could you please give us an overview of the recent media coverage and speculations about Hisahito's high school choice and Kako's marriage? Without the context, it is hard to interpret the exchanges between the media and the Akishino household.

There wasn't much officially on Mako's marriage limbo until the end. Since her father's birthday statement explored the topic of media/Internet speculation and possibly standards for response, it appears the IHA press association is giving the Akishino family the opportunity to respond to... everything now? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Fascinating. I was taken by great surprise by the unprecedented frankness from the IF/IHA regarding Mako's PTSD, and it is beginning to feel as if something has irrevocably transformed in the relationship between the imperial house and the media/public.

Apologies for the delayed response.

Regarding Prince Hisahito's high school speculation (PLEASE remember these are from weekly magazines!)
- media focused on public Tsukuba University High School (Bunkyo Ward) and the private Tokyo University of Agriculture Daiichi High School (Setagaya Ward)
- allegedly, Hisahito's eventual goal (or his parents' goal for him) is the University of Tokyo
- Tsukuba University High School has a good reputation for that goal because about 30 of its students pass the University of Tokyo’s entrance exam nearly every year.
- Tsukuba University and Ochanomizu University established an “affiliated school admission/advancement system” since 2017 [-]which allows students to transfer WITHOUT taking academic test[/-] (This is the root of the criticism/speculation)
- Princess Kiko wanted to use the system to get Hisahito into Tsukuba University Junior High in 2019. However, the plan was shelved due to Kei Komuro problem/increased scrutiny on the Akishino family so Hisaito continued under the Ochanomizu system.
- Hisahito’s education at Ochanomizu has been questioned before. There were suspicions of “Imperial privilege” when his enrollment to Ochanomizu kindergarten was announced in 2009. The usual entry is through a lottery, group tests, and a highly selective process. At the time, Princess Kiko was honorary researcher at Ochanomizu University (eventually granted a Ph.D. in 2013 and is now an honorary research fellow). In order to support female teachers and researchers, the university has a “special admission system” to accept their children to the attached schools including kindergarten and that’s allegedly how Hisahito was admitted.
- Ochanomizu University’s “special admission system” was established only 1 year before Hisahito’s enrollment.
- media notices how convenient such admissions systems were setup before Hisahito’s enrollments

- Prince Akishino has been visiting professor at Tokyo University of Agriculture for 10+ years and that’s the connection with Tokyo University of Agriculture Daiichi High School.
- The relationship with Gakushuin is bad. Prince Akishino and Princess Kiko haven’t attended alumni gatherings for 10+ years.
- Prince Akishino wanted to attend a different university but obeyed his father’s wishes and attended Gakushuin University but distanced himself since graduating.
- Emperor Emeritus Akihito intended to graduate from Gakushuin University but did not have enough credits to continue to the 3rd year due to public service, including attending Queen Elizabeth II's coronation. He was absent/didn't have credits for ~6 months. The university and IHA tried to negotiate a September graduation instead of March. However, Gakushuin University only gave 2 options in the end: repeat the year or drop out. Emperor Emeritus Akihito dropped out and audited the classes instead. Prince Akishino is aware of his father’s hurt and distrusts Gakushuin University. IHA website says Emperor Emeritus Akihito “Finished education at Gakushuin University, 1956.” not graduated

Sources:
https://www.dailyshincho.jp/article/2021/12230601/?all=1&page=1
https://www.dailyshincho.jp/article/2022/01121132/?all=1
https://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20220112_1719310.html?DETAIL
https://www.news-postseven.com/archives/20210828_1686130.html?DETAIL
https://bunshun.jp/articles/-/51028

Despite media speculation about Imperial privilege or special admission… Prince Hisahito TOOK the entrance exam for Tsukuba University High School on February 13 like any other applicant. The entrance examination starts at 9am and ends after 3pm in 5 subjects: Japanese, Mathematics, English, Science, and Social Sciences. Media captured Hisahito entering the campus around 8am.
Results are released on Tsukuba University High School's website on February 16. The IHA announced his enrollment the same day.

Sources: Sankei, NHK

I haven't looked into Princess Kako's marriage rumors yet. I'll respond in a few days or so.

CORRECTION Sankei and Jiji say Prince Hisahito used the "affiliated school admission system" but NHK says he took the entrance exam anyway...??

Mainichi seems to have the clearest (?) Google translation that Prince Hisahito was admitted under the "affiliated school admission system" and he took the internal selection test on February 13

Asahi is similar to Mainichi. He was admitted under the "affiliated school admission system" and had to take the entrance exam/academic achievement test for pass decision. Weekly magazines were wrong.

I'm still not clear whether the academic achievement/internal selection test was the same as the entrance exam...

Last edited:
Could be both, he has to take the entrance exam (maybe the requirement for any admission) and the affiliated school admission system gives him advantage. But the problem is, how huge this advantage is.

Does it mean something that he’s going to attend a public high school?

Could be both, he has to take the entrance exam (maybe the requirement for any admission) and the affiliated school admission system gives him advantage. But the problem is, how huge this advantage is.

Well it is an advantage that everyone from the school gets, correct? So it's not just an Imperial advantage. He seems to have had to do what everyone else in the same school system had to. Of course it seems there are questions about how he got into that system in the first place.

I do think there would be some criticism whichever route they went, although I can see why there are queries over it.

That said, many wealthy and well connected/well connected in a particular way people play "Game of Schools" all over the world so it's no surprise that they might have. Realistically Hisahito was always going to go to roughly where they wanted him to go, even if it was option B rather than option A. Though it's interesting that it's a public school and uni system and a very large one.

Interesting that Gakushuin has so thoroughly fallen out of favour with the Akishino family - or was never actually in favour at all.

Interesting that Gakushuin has so thoroughly fallen out of favour with the Akishino family - or was never actually in favour at all.
Kiko's father taught at Gakushuin. I wonder if that has something to do with the Akishinos attitude towards Gakushuin. I can't imagine Gakushuin doing anything other than bending over backwards to make the Imperial Family happy. Then again, so would any school in Japan...

Does it mean something that he’s going to attend a public high school?
Yes, he's going to a public high school
Well it is an advantage that everyone from the school gets, correct? So it's not just an Imperial advantage. He seems to have had to do what everyone else in the same school system had to. Of course it seems there are questions about how he got into that system in the first place.

I do think there would be some criticism whichever route they went, although I can see why there are queries over it.

That said, many wealthy and well connected/well connected in a particular way people play "Game of Schools" all over the world so it's no surprise that they might have. Realistically Hisahito was always going to go to roughly where they wanted him to go, even if it was option B rather than option A. Though it's interesting that it's a public school and uni system and a very large one.

Anyone who meets the conditions for the affiliate system should be eligible. The IHA announcement on Prince Hisahito's high school mentions he was recommended for the system based on his grades and Tsukuba University High is his top choice.
Kiko's father taught at Gakushuin. I wonder if that has something to do with the Akishinos attitude towards Gakushuin. I can't imagine Gakushuin doing anything other than bending over backwards to make the Imperial Family happy. Then again, so would any school in Japan...
Why would his grandfather being a Gakushuin professor be a problem?
I agree most schools would bend over backwards for an Imperial family member.

Ochanomizu University (blue outline, including university, high school, junior high, elementary) and Tsukuba University High (red outline) are next to each other: FNN

Yahoo Japan comments on Prince Hisahito's high school. Mix of congratulations, accusations, etc. https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/c...1ac4006/comments?page=1&t=t&order=recommended
https://news.yahoo.co.jp/articles/7def9603308990440d0759d7e467496dcd4abd67/comments

A comment from English Japan Today's article (please note: IHA announcement didn't mention the affiliate system is temporary 5 years)
He was admitted to Tsukuba University High School through a temporary (from 2017 to 2022, only for 5 years) partnership scheme between the two universities, according to the agency.

According to a suvvy journalist, the pass was fixed by the end of last December under the condition that he receives general examination to know school's expectations for students on February 13th and applying to only this school.

On the same day, it was reported in the news that Prince Hisahito's composition, which won the 2020 Nonfiction Literary Award for Children, had many plagiarism.

The IHA said that Prince Hisahito would correct it, and the award organizer also replied that there would be no problem if the omissions in the references were corrected. However, the application guidelines state that corrections after application are not allowed.
The Japanese and English comments mention the affiliate school system is temporary for 5 years (2017-2022) but I haven't found that info outside of the comment section yet. However, I wonder if affiliate school systems will be renewed? It makes sense for such partnerships to be reviewed occasionally.

On February 16th (same day of his high school announcement), the IHA reported Prince Hisahito's award winning essay had insufficient references. Geez, more scrutiny on the Akishino family...

In 2021, he won 2nd place at the "12th Children's Nonfiction Literature Award" for his essay "Visiting the Ogasawara Islands" about a 2017 trip.

Prince Hisahito accused of plagiarism in praised essay | The Asahi Shimbun
[...]

A weekly magazine and others reported that some parts of the essay “bear a close resemblance to unreferenced material.”

A person related to a magazine contacted the agency about the matter on Feb. 15.

Hisahito checked the essay and concluded that its reference list was insufficient, officials said.

Hisahito will further check the essay and will notify the city of Kita-Kyushu, which gave a literary award to the prince, if additional inadequacies are found, the agency said.

[...]

Last edited:
Why would his grandfather being a Gakushuin professor be a problem?
I agree most schools would bend over backwards for an Imperial family member.

It wouldn't be a problem for Hisahito. I was speculating if the relationship between Gakushuin and Mr. Kawashima had soured, whether due to his tenureship, his academic work, or his retirement process, that caused Kiko to not want to give Gakushuin the renown of educating the future Emperor. I have friends who are college professors and some are even respected scholars in their field. I've seen how the relationship between a professor and their respective university can go south with a variety of reasons as to why.

I realize I gave no context to my previous speculation, my bad.

On February 16th (same day of his high school announcement), the IHA reported Prince Hisahito's award winning essay had insufficient references. Geez, more scrutiny on the Akishino family...

In 2021, he won 2nd place at the "12th Children's Nonfiction Literature Award" for his essay "Visiting the Ogasawara Islands" about a 2017 trip.

Prince Hisahito accused of plagiarism in praised essay | The Asahi Shimbun

[...]

A weekly magazine and others reported that some parts of the essay “bear a close resemblance to unreferenced material.”

A person related to a magazine contacted the agency about the matter on Feb. 15.

Hisahito checked the essay and concluded that its reference list was insufficient, officials said.

Hisahito will further check the essay and will notify the city of Kita-Kyushu, which gave a literary award to the prince, if additional inadequacies are found, the agency said.

[...]

:ohmy: Quite an embarrassment. (And it is most certainly in the public interest to report on plagiarism in an award-winning essay published by a future head of state, but I can't help but wonder if the timing of publication was calculated to cause the maximum embarrassment for the prince and Akishino family. After all, the essay dates from 2021.) At least the family/agency can be applauded for the speedy response once contacted.

Are there any posters here who are able to read the essay and the reference material and comment on the severity of the apparent plagiarism? I am wondering if it is plain and obvious, or if there is realistically room for an accidental lapse in referencing, as the IHA claims.

I find it interesting that out of the English language editions of the major national newspapers, it seems only the Asahi Shimbun (the least pro-monarchy) is reporting the Hisahito plagiarism news. Were the Japanese editions of the other mainstream newspapers being similarly reserved in their reporting (or not) of this story?

Would an ordinary, nonroyal student whose essay was found to contain plagiarized material be given the same chance to correct it, or would they simply have their award stripped?

Last edited:
Are there any posters here who are able to read the essay and the reference material and comment on the severity of the apparent plagiarism? I am wondering if it is plain and obvious, or if there is realistically room for an accidental lapse in referencing, as the IHA claims.

Would an ordinary, nonroyal student whose essay was found to contain plagiarized material be given the same chance to correct it, or would they simply have their award stripped?

I am currently taking college classes, and plagiarism is, of course, a big deal. We have to put our papers through something called Turnitin.com, which checks for similarities to published material and other people's work. It can be pretty brutal, even flagging such common phrases as, for example, "The United States of America" and even the word "and."

As for your question about "normal" people getting a chance to correct their essays, it often would depend on the age of the writer. Hisahito was a junior high student, and I would imagine that some leniency would be permitted, although having the award removed would definitely be a possibility. The fact that the essay was submitted with the disputed reference, in my opinion, shows that it WAS Hisahito's work with little adult editing.

[...]

I find it interesting that out of the English language editions of the major national newspapers, it seems only the Asahi Shimbun (the least pro-monarchy) is reporting the Hisahito plagiarism news. Were the Japanese editions of the other mainstream newspapers being similarly reserved in their reporting (or not) of this story?

Magazine Daily Shincho has some examples. Here's 1 google translation:

Prince Hisahito
"The Ogasawara Islands are islands created by uplifting volcanoes, and are "ocean islands" that have never been connected to the continent. So how did these island creatures reach the islands?"

Guidebook "World Heritage Ogasawara" (JTB Publishing) published in 2012
"The Ogasawara Islands are islands created by uplifting volcanoes, and have never been connected to the continent. Such islands are called marine islands. How did the creatures (to the Ogasawara Islands) arrive?"

Prince Hisahito's essay begins at 76/134 (page 74) at the Award website
https://www.kitakyushucity-bungakukan.jp/wp-content/uploads/2021/03/No12.pdf

Mainstream Japanese newspapers reported the problem using softer language "similarities" or "insufficient reference/citation" (well, google didn't translate as "plagiarism" as the English Asahi reporter used).

Asahi : Composition by Hisahito-sama "Insufficient description of references" Received very similar reports to other documents
Sankei : Hisahito-sama, thank you for pointing out the reference "missing description" in the composition
Jiji : To correct the composition of Hisahito-sama Reference description "insufficient" - Imperial Household Agency
Mainichi : Hisahito-sama, without specifying the citation source at the composition contest Imperial Household Agency "insufficient"

Sankei seems the most gentle. Its headline emphasizes Prince Hisahito's gratitude for the correction.

On February 24th, Nagata Kyosuke, President of University of Tsukuba, said he is very honored Prince Hisahito will attend the attached high school and offered congratulations. The university will cooperate with the Imperial Household Agency and Ochanomizu University to ensure safety and security.

Nagata said some students, like Prince Hisahito, have been admitted under the affiliated school system with Ochanomizu University since it was established in 2017. He would like to extend the system, which expires this year, another 5 years.

Source: Sankei

ETA: While acknowledging plagiarism/insufficient reference is bad, I am suspicious of the timing. Prince Hisahito attended the virtual award ceremony in March 2021 and the IHA announced the honor a few weeks before. Why now? Exactly around the time of his high school entrance exam/destination reveal? How very fortunate for the tabloids. Hmmm.

I understand it takes time to discover similarities and maybe there are many books about the Ogasawara Islands but still...

Last edited:
Magazine Daily Shincho has some examples. Here's 1 google translation:

Prince Hisahito
"The Ogasawara Islands are islands created by uplifting volcanoes, and are "ocean islands" that have never been connected to the continent. So how did these island creatures reach the islands?"

Guidebook "World Heritage Ogasawara" (JTB Publishing) published in 2012
"The Ogasawara Islands are islands created by uplifting volcanoes, and have never been connected to the continent. Such islands are called marine islands. How did the creatures (to the Ogasawara Islands) arrive?"

<snip>
I understand it takes time to discover similarities and maybe there are many books about the Ogasawara Islands but still...

Having just had to write a college paper on how to use references,;) it is my understanding that a paraphrase such as that used by the Prince DOES require an in-text reference to the original document, but without quotation marks as it is not a direct quote. I don't know Japanese, but in English, there aren't a lot of ways to use information like that without a direct quote or close paraphrase. I think we do need to keep in mind just how old the Prince was at the time; learning how to use and quote reference material is a skill that must be taught and learned, and making mistakes like this is part of that process. For a junior high student. i.e. a child, losing points and/or being offered a chance to correct the paper would be seen as appropriate in most cultures. For a college student, that paper would be severely marked down, if not failed, and the student would be brought before the academic ethics committee for a little chat. ?

Last edited:
On March 17th, Prince Hisahito graduated from Ochanomizu University Junior High School in the morning. Accompanied by his parents, he met the press before the ceremony. Prince Hisahito will attend Tsukuba University High School from April.

Photos: Mainichi, Asahi, Getty Images, AP Images

Prince Hisahito's impressions on his junior high life/graduation: Sankei
IHA statement: Mainichi
ETA: Prince Hisahito and Crown Princess Kiko later visited Tsukuba University High School around 1:40pm for a preparatory meeting.

Photo: FNN

Prince Hisahito Graduates Junior High School | Nippon.com
[...]

At around 8:40 a.m. (11:40 p.m. Wednesday GMT), just before the ceremony started, Prince Hisahito, together with his father and his mother, Crown Princess Kiko, took a commemorative photo at a courtyard of Ochanomizu University in Tokyo’s Bunkyo Ward.

When asked by the press to reflect back on his junior high school life, Prince Hisahito said, “While there was a time when the school was closed (due to the COVID-19 pandemic), I had various experiences and I feel I led a fruitful three years.”

[...]

Last edited:
Today, March 18, Prince Hisahito visited Musashino Imperial Graveyard and met his uncle Emperor Naruhito following his graduation yesterday:

** tt.se gallery **

:previous: Thanks! He was busy all day reporting his graduation from junior high school to relatives.

morning: Emperor Naruhito and Empress Masako at the Imperial residence. Princess Aiko was also present and then reporting to his ancestors at the Imperial Palace Sanctuaries.

afternoon: mausoleum of Emperor Showa and Empress Kojun and his grandparents Emperor Emeritus Akihito and Empress Emerita Michiko

Last edited:
On March 30th, Princess Kako remotely attended the "Reiwa 3 National Urban Greenery Festival" in Kumamoto City, Kumamoto Prefecture. She spoke to 4 winners after the ceremony.

2 videos were prepared for the event:
- message was recorded on March 16 which touched on the 2016 Kumamoto earthquake and July 2020 heavy rain
- tending a Chihara cherry tree video was recorded on March 4. The sapling will be moved to Kumamoto City Zoological and Botanical Garden.

Her parents attended this event before the accession, then Princess Mako attended in 2019, and now Princess Kako has inherited. The festival was canceled in 2020 and the 2021 (Reiwa 3) festival was combined with the "38th National Urban Greening Kumamoto Fair." 2022 is Reiwa 4

Photos: Mainichi

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom