Mako and Kei Komuro News and Current Events Part 1: October 2021 -

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

iceflower

Administrator
Site Team
Country
Germany

Welcome to part 1 of the thread for News and Current Events of Mako and Kei Komuro!

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs!

· Only pictures you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· No more than 20% of the text of an article can be posted, along with a link to the original article.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles.
· We expect our members to treat each other and the royals and persons in these threads with respect.
· Opinions should be backed up by reference to published reports.
· Off topic and empty posts will be deleted without notice.
· Please be careful not to write in capital letters.

:flowers: Happy Posting! :flowers:

On November 2nd, Mako visited the Akishino residence for the first time since her marriage. She reportedly was organizing her luggage and stayed for about 7 hours, leaving by taxi around 4:30pm. She was described as "sloppy from beginning to end."

On the evening of October 29th, Mako and Kei visited her maternal grandfather Tatsuhiko Kawashima (81) at the hospital.

Sayako Kuroda’s first "homecoming" was 3 weeks after marriage although she and her husband Yoshiki visited her parents the day after the wedding as a thank-you and they attended a tea party celebration at the Imperial Palace.

Photo/article: Sponichi

Nikkansports is gentler. Nothing about sloppiness, it adds as ordinary citizens after marriage, former female royals are "free to go [to parents'] home."

She was described as "sloppy from beginning to end."
Was that from perhaps a pap using a Canon 5200mm f/14 Tele-Monster to snoop on Mako as she packed up her things? :lol:
Or, heaven forbid, a maid who was assisting Mako? :eek:

On November 2nd, Mako visited the Akishino residence for the first time since her marriage. She reportedly was organizing her luggage and stayed for about 7 hours, leaving by taxi around 4:30pm. She was described as "sloppy from beginning to end."

What a description to make about her. No wonder Mako encouraged Kei to set up an overseas base from them so they can leave Japan for the US.

It was probably an official from the Japanese Imperial Household reporting. They’d been on a Time and Motion Study.

"Sloppy from beginning to end? Seriously??!

I expect that level of vicious from tabloids in the US and parts of Western Europe..but Japan?:ermm:

No wonder the seconds and more have been picking up, leaving their homeland for other countries. needed but not needed, only needed if an emergency…..jmoo. I wish them a beautiful life.

"Sloppy" I am disgusted, how dare they ?

How awfull.

No wonder the seconds and more have been picking up, leaving their homeland for other countries. needed but not needed, only needed if an emergency…..jmoo. I wish them a beautiful life.

Mako isn't a second or any kind of spare under current rules, not even in an emergency. Even if Kei was a "perfect on paper" IHA approved husband she'd still be an ex princess and learning a new way of life in private as her aunt and cousins have done.

The remark was definitely uncalled for though, especially if she was going there will the intention of packing and moving the rest of her stuff. Who hasn't looked "sloppy" in those circumstances? Or dressed in old clothes?

Last edited:
Maybe they wanted her in a long dress and a tiara....

Man arrested after trying to enter complex where mom of ex-Princess Mako's husband lives - The Mainichi
A man has been arrested for allegedly intruding on the premises of a local apartment complex where Kei Komuro's mother lives [...]

Police arrested the man, who claims to be a part-time postal worker, on suspicion of intrusion into a structure without permission.

According to the prefectural police, the man apparently approached a resident on the housing complex premises on Nov. 3 and said, "Please let me interview you." The resident became suspicious and called police, and an officer apprehended the man as he was about to leave.

Former princess Mako, husband to travel to U.S. Nov. 14: source - Kyodo News
Former princess Mako Komuro and her husband are planning to leave Japan for New York on Sunday, a source familiar with the matter said Friday.

The newlywed couple, both 30, are scheduled to depart from Haneda airport in Tokyo [...]

The Komuros have already secured a place to live in the U.S. city, according to the source.

It was originally planned that Komuro would travel to the United States first due to work commitments and the former princess, who left the imperial family upon marrying a commoner, would join him later after obtaining a passport.

But the husband's stay in Japan was prolonged after former princess Mako's grandfather and Crown Princess Kiko's father, Tatsuhiko Kawashima, a professor emeritus at Gakushuin University, died last week and the couple attended his family funeral Saturday.
Ex-princess, spouse to leave Japan for US Sunday | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News

Reactions: eya
On November 12th, Kei Komuro met with his mother's ex-fiancé in the evening at a law firm. Both men had legal representation at the ~90 minute meeting after 8pm and a document was signed confirming the man [received/will accept] settlement money to resolve the financial dispute. Both sides "mutually confirmed that the problem was finally resolved."

The ex-fiancé said "I will not ask for anything in the future."

Mako and Kei Komuro leave for the US on November 14.

Sources: NHK, Sankei

Last edited:
The ex-fiancé said "I will not ask for anything in the future.
I really truly thought that this would drag on for years. This is a great way to leave Japan. No lingering debts to take care of. Wooooooo!

Last edited:
Agree with both comments above. This problem is (finally) off Kei's shoulders and he and Princess Mako can move forward to a peaceful, happy life together. Wonderful news!

English article is available

Komuro settles mother's money trouble | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
[...]

Komuro met the ex-fiance and his representative on Friday evening at the office of Komuro's lawyer in Tokyo.

The representative says the two sides agreed that a payment from Komuro's side would settle the issue, and the ex-fiance had signed a document to confirm this.

The representative says he believes the matter has been settled and the ex-fiance will make no further demands in regard to it.

[...]

Komuro released a statement earlier this year in a bid to clarify the issue. It noted the man had said he did not need the money repaid. This reportedly led the Komuro side to believe the problem had been resolved.

Komuro added in the document that he still felt gratitude for the ex-fiance's support, and he was prepared to provide a payment to settle the issue.

[...]
On November 13th, Mako visited the Akishino residence in Akasaka Estate for a final farewell to her family ahead of leaving with Kei for the US the next day. She arrived by taxi around 3pm.

Last edited:
Why could this not be resolved all these years and is suddenly resolved shortly after the wedding? Is it Mako's (family) money which was used to end the dispute?

What are Mako and Kei Komuro going to do professionally in the United States of America?

Why could this not be resolved all these years and is suddenly resolved shortly after the wedding? Is it Mako's (family) money which was used to end the dispute?

Members of the public are asking the same question, worded much more harshly, in comments sections at this very moment, of that I am certain. ;)

I cannot help but wonder if the ex-fiance apprised that the pressure on Kayo, Kei, and Mako Komuro from the court of public opinion has probably (barring further developments) already reached its apogee and he has no other instruments with which to extract more concessions. A more charitable reading is that Mako's PTSD diagnosis may have inspired him to compromise for her sake.

I am glad both sides were able to secure legal representation.

What are Mako and Kei Komuro going to do professionally in the United States of America?

Read about Kei's position at the New York law firm Lowenstein here:
https://www.lowenstein.com/people/attorneys/kei-komuro

Last edited:
A happy life can start for them ! Glad for them !

Here is my theory: At first, Komuro and his mother felt betrayed and blindsided by the claim that they own this former fiancé money. They probably felt that they were being blackmailed and did not want to give that man any money.

However, as the issue dragged on and Komuro's reputation was being dragged through the mud, they realized they have to pay him off to get rid of him.

By then, Komuro was in the US studying law, making negotiation difficult plus he was not making a salary and didn't have much money to give this man. It has been reported, that his mother couldn't work and suffered emotionally and mentally due to the relentless pressure. So she didn't have much money either.

Also, as I said in a previous post, the former fiance is suspicious because he uses a reporter as his representative. There are people who want to break up the couple and stop the marriage, so they were not negotiating in good faith to end the dispute and probably wanted to drag the issue out as long as possible by making impossible demands like want to speak with Komuro's mother directly.

The announcement that Mako has PTSD is embarrassing for the newspaper and the former fiancé. Also the marriage finally happened, so there is no more point in holding this over Komuro's head.

Also, the couple will move away from Japan, since Komuro has no legal obligation to pay this man, the former fiance may worry that he won't get paid at all, so decided to take the money right before they leave.

Komuro now has a job and income. It's not very much, but maybe enough for him to get a loan to pay off this man. Also, while Mako refused the lump-sum payment she may have some money of her own from her part time job or jewelry or inheritance, that she could not use before her marriage when she was a Princess. Now that she is Komuro's wife and a private citizen, she may use her money to help Komuro pay off this awful man.

Someone suggested on this board that Komuro should offer to make a payment plan, to give the man a little bit of money each month until the debt is paid off. Maybe they suggested this but the offer was rejected. Or maybe they thought paying it off all at once is better to finally put this issue to bed.

Sounds very likely, Muffin. My theory was that this man now figured that there is nothing to gain any longer for this ex-fiancé now Kei is married.

I hope he can live with the fact that he basically ruined the lives of two young adults for several years. I am still not quite sure why: because he thought he could financially gain from it, out of revenge that the relationship with Kei's mother didn't work out, because of some external reason (him being used by those who wanted to prevent this marriage from happening), or a combination of these (and other) reasons.

Last edited:
A belated welcome to Muffin, and thank you for your interesting comments.

On November 13th, Mako visited the Akishino residence in Akasaka Estate for a final farewell to her family ahead of leaving with Kei for the US the next day. She arrived by taxi around 3pm.

I wonder if Mako's solo farewell to her family suggests the Crown Prince's feelings toward his son-in-law remain mixed at best.

According to the prefectural police, the man apparently approached a resident on the housing complex premises on Nov. 3 and said, "Please let me interview you." The resident became suspicious and called police, and an officer apprehended the man as he was about to leave.

At least, by the sounds of it, the trespasser's aim was "only" to probe for information on Kayo Komuro (possibly to sell to a tabloid) and not to physically harm her. Unfortunately, I don't think that would necessarily be the case for every intruder.

[...]

Photo/article: Sponichi

What a description to make about her. No wonder Mako encouraged Kei to set up an overseas base from them so they can leave Japan for the US.

"Sloppy from beginning to end? Seriously??!

I expect that level of vicious from tabloids in the US and parts of Western Europe..but Japan?:ermm:

"Sloppy" I am disgusted, how dare they ?

How awfull.

"Sloppy" seems gentle compared to Kei being called a "gigolo" in a magazine headline, according to this article first posted by Prisma in the engagement thread: https://japantoday.com/category/fea...g-the-royal-leaks-before-they-become-a-deluge.

Last edited:
The final farewell will be probably at Haneda Airport just before the entrance to the Departure Hall.

There will be Crown Prince Fumihito, Crown Princess Kiko, Princess Kako, Prince Hisahito and Kayo Komuro, of course.

Last edited:
The final farewell will be probably at Haneda Airport just before the entrance to the Departure Hall.

There will be Crown Prince Fumihito, Crown Princess Kikp, Princess Kako, Prince Hisahito and Kayo Komuro, of course.
What makes you think the family will go to the airport for another farewell? I seriously doubt it. They know there will be lots of press, so the easier way is to stick to private farewells instead of contributing to another media frenzy.

Loving parents whose child is leaving abroad with intention to stay there permanently, want to have this child beside them as long as it is possible, because they don't know when they are going to see this child again.

Welcome and thank you Muffin! I agree with much of your post. For me, it is unclear whether the money has been paid in full or a repayment plan has been agreed to.

Mako spent about 6 hours with her family, leaving Akasaka Estate after 9pm on November 13 according to Jiji.

NHK: Kei has been working remotely while in Japan. Since Mako's ability to travel was uncertain, he was supposed to return to the USA earlier but postponed after her maternal grandfather's death.

Mako and Kei departed from Haneda Airport, passing the security checkpoint before 10am on November 14. They are expected to land at JFK airport. Some 60 reporters and neighbors observed the couple leaving their temporary condo around 8am and 100 reporters gathered at Haneda Airport. Neither the Akishino family nor Kei's mother Kayo went to the airport.

Photos: Asahi, Mainichi, Getty Images

In Photos: Former Princess Mako, Kei Komuro leave Japan to start new life in US - The Mainichi

I understand reservations about the Komuros and the marriage but I do feel for Kei (and his mother) as well. Finally returning to his home country after 3+ years and pandemic restrictions aside, he was unable to freely go anywhere or enjoy being in Yokohama/Tokyo. At least he was able to spend some quality time with his mother during quarantine.

Former princess Mako, husband head for US | NHK WORLD-JAPAN News
[...]

The couple departed from Tokyo's Haneda Airport Sunday morning. They married on October 26 and have been living in an apartment in Tokyo since.

Komuro is employed by a New York-based legal firm. Sources say he has been working online as a law clerk while in Japan.

The newlyweds are said to have expressed gratitude to the Imperial family and people who supported them before leaving.

[...]

The couple will be renting an apartment in New York that Komuro's friends helped arrange.
Former princess Mako, husband leave Japan to start new life in U.S. - Kyodo News
Former princess Mako Komuro and her husband left Japan on Sunday to start a new life in the United States, less than a month after tying the knot amid controversy over a financial dispute involving his mother and her former fiance.

The couple, both 30, departed from Tokyo's Haneda airport for New York where Kei Komuro works as a law clerk at a legal firm. Their departure follows an apparent settlement of the dispute, with the former fiance reportedly agreeing to receive "settlement money" in a meeting with Kei Komuro on Friday night. [...]
ETA: Mako, now plain Mrs. Komuro, quits Japan for New York | The Asahi Shimbun
Former Princess Mako, now formally Mrs. Komuro, and her husband Kei Komuro left Japan for New York on Nov. 14 to make a fresh start away from the glare of public opinion, much of it negative following a financial family tussle that at times had seemed to threaten their years-long relationship.

[...] They departed from Tokyo’s Haneda Airport bound for John F. Kennedy Airport.

A gaggle of 100 or so reporters were waiting to cover the couple’s departure when they appeared at the airport at 10:08 a.m.

[...]

They headed to the departure gate after making a slight bow to the press corps.

When they set out for the airport from their apartment in the capital’s Shibuya Ward, a crowd of 60 or so people, including reporters, were gathered outside.

[...]

He failed the New York state bar exam in July after graduating from a law school in the same state. He is expected to give it another shot in February while he is still retained by the law firm.

[...]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom