Guillaume and Stéphanie: Wedding Suggestions and Musings

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is complete rubbish, in my opinion. You seem to have taken the fact that the foreign royals only attended part of the wedding as some kind of personal slight. It seems to have annoyed you more that any of the royals present.

The foreign royals were invited to the wedding, and also to a special party the night before. William and Catherine chose to spend the rest of their wedding day with people they're actually close to. Having had to invite over 700 people they didn't know from Adam to their wedding, I believe that was their right. This was the wedding of the 2nd in line, not the heir, so they had more room for flexibility.

William and Catherine wanted to be surrounded by their family and friends on their wedding day, so they could relax and enjoy it with those closest to them. They're as entitled to that as any other couple. It's obvious the BRF are not as close to the Continental royals, but there's nothing wrong with that, it's just how things have worked out.
Duke and Duchess of Cambridge's presence is not important. If the British Royals do not attend at all, that will not be the end of the world.

Last edited:
:previous: I'm of the opinion that they would not be missed at all should no one from the BRF attend (though I can't foresee that being the case). I'm over the nonsense of it really. Go or don't go, the show will go on in spectacular style.

The continental royals enjoy one anothers company and interact on what we could consider a regular basis. They attend one anothers celebrations with such an enthusiastic turn out. And they are for more interesting to observe than their British counterparts, I might add.

:previous:
As usually your observations are correct.

I wonder if a date has already been decide upon? ... I read somewhere that Guillaume's parents had about 4/5 month engagement period.

Guillaume's parents had a three month engagement period. Grand Duke Jean of Luxembourg gave his consent to the engagement of Prince Henri to Maria Teresa Mestre on November 7, 1980. They were married on February 14, 1981 at the gothic Notre Dame Cathedral in Luxembourg City.

Last edited:
Perhaps they could at least invite every royal household reigning and non reigning like Their Imperial & Royal Highness Prince Georg Friedrich & Princess Sophie of Prussia, Her Imperial Highness Grand Duchess Maria Vladimirovna of Russia & son, Crown Princess Margarita & husband for Romania, both the Duke of Aosta and the Prince of Naples for Italy, the Greek Royal Family, etc etc... I mean it's been awhile since a wedding where there was a whole gathering of European Royals, every head of Imperial & Royal houses were present and this was at the wedding of the Prince & Princess of Asturias.

Last edited:
Yes, the BRF are so uninteresting that there's always an argument when fans of other royal families get the hump because the Queen hasn't sent a senior enough member of her family as a representative. Clearly, no-one's bothered whether they turn up or not. :rolleyes:

Part of me would like to see William and Kate go, as that's the only way the British press would cover this event. But I fear it'll be like every other European royal wedding, apart from Hello and Majesty magazines, it'll not get a mention. I haven't seen any reporting in the British press on the engagement so far, which is sad because these two seem like a nice couple.

I will be surprise seeing William&Kate. Guillaumne is CP and expect Charles&Camilla's presence or Wessex who are close to Europen royals. William&Kate can attend to their friends wedding in England not at the wedding of Luxembourgian heir. Mostly we'll see CP and CPss and lot of royals from Belgium and Netherlands. It won't be as grand wedding as Victoria's but very classy and understated. In my favorite cathedral (I hope).

Yes, the BRF are so uninteresting that there's always an argument when fans of other royal families get the hump because the Queen hasn't sent a senior enough member of her family as a representative. Clearly, no-one's bothered whether they turn up or not..

But it was the opinion of one (me) that the continental royals are more interesting than the Windsor's and that I truly would not care if they attend the wedding or they dont.

It wasn't a post which spoke on behalf of anyone other than myself so in light of this, I find your retort somewhat bizarre as it could only be directed at me even though I clearly indicated that it was a personal opinion.

Last edited:
Yes, the BRF are so uninteresting that there's always an argument when fans of other royal families get the hump because the Queen hasn't sent a senior enough member of her family as a representative. Clearly, no-one's bothered whether they turn up or not. :rolleyes:

Part of me would like to see William and Kate go, as that's the only way the British press would cover this event. But I fear it'll be like every other European royal wedding, apart from Hello and Majesty magazines, it'll not get a mention. I haven't seen any reporting in the British press on the engagement so far, which is sad because these two seem like a nice couple.

I have to say that the Wessex's are closer in age to many of the Crown Prince/Princess of Europe especially the Scandinavian Royals. From what i've seen/read it seems that they do get along with the European Royals very well so only makes sense that they attend European Royal events instead of HM who at 85 with a 90 year old husband probably doesn't want to be jetting around Europe for such events.
Anyway this wedding is about the Luxembourg Royal Family not the British Royals. I imagine there will be many members of the Belgian Nobility in attendance.
Looking at some of the Luxembourg online news websites it seems there is a lot of financial problems in the country atm I wonder if this will affect the celebrations and we will in fact see a smaller timetable of events rather than a series of lavish events.

Perhaps people should wait for a wedding date to be announced and the invitations sent out before working themselves up about who is or is not attending.

:previous: I'm of the opinion that they would not be missed at all should no one from the BRF attend (though I can't foresee that being the case). I'm over the nonsense of it really. Go or don't go, the show will go on in spectacular style.

The continental royals enjoy one anothers company and interact on what we could consider a regular basis. They attend one anothers celebrations with such an enthusiastic turn out. And they are for more interesting to observe than their British counterparts, I might add.

I could not agree more. I am really eagerly looking forward to this wedding! :cool:

For a couple or a family that is not interesting, can we stop mentioning them in this tread?

Yes, this is about Guillaume and Stephanie. I suspect we will have a wedding date soon - as the family in the past have had short engagements - 2-5 months. I do not think sooner than 2 1/2 months - so possibly July 14 which is before the end of the tour de france and the olympics. The family often go on vacation in August plus there are the olympics - but possibly Aug 25, as Sep 1 may be too close to cousin Imre's sep 8th wedding. Otherwise to accomodate Alexandra and Sebastien's schooling it would have to wait for Christmastime - Dec 29 as Dec 22 seems to close. With his other cousin Christophe having a wedding (date not yet announced) sometime after Imre - they might be the ones with the Christmas wedding already.

I forgot about Alexandra and Sebastien being at university, though there might be the odd week here and there before Christmas they are free. To be honest I'd be amazed if the wedding was before August at the earliest, unless there's a lot of planning already gone on before the announcement I think there just isn't the time to get everything ready and give enough notice to guests etc.

I would love to see Alexandra as an adult bridesmaid but it will maybe be the younger sister of the bride if she has one. It would be great to have some royal children in the bridal party such as Arianne, gabriel, Noah and Emmanuel.

Perhaps they will marry on Henri and Maria Teresa's anniversary -- February 14!

I expect the Duke and Duchess of Braganca will attend since they attended Henri and Maria's silver anniversary. Duarte always says that the two families are quite close so it will be nice to see him there.

A wonderful time of year! Hope it doesn't rain.

I'm expecting that there will be. :flowers:
Considering Henri and Maria Teresa had a civil and religious ceremony, it does seem likely that this is the practice in Luxembourg; I just wonder that there has been no mention of it - at least, in what I have read. But perhaps the ceremonies of Guillaume and Stephanie will take place on the same day (as per the Prince and Princess of Orange), rather than on two different occasions (as per his parents).

Fall is a lovely time for a wedding!

:previous: I think the BRF comes up for comment because it does not hob-nob with other royalty - sort of keeps to itself - and that's odd when you start looking at the wider picture - that's all.

It was said on another thread that the wedding date has been set - for October. the 20th, I believe. :flowers: Does anyone think there will be internet streaming of the wedding - I would love to see it in real time.

Great to hear the wedding date has been announced. Will they invite Royals from all over the world to attend the wedding ceremony just like the Belgian and Cambridge weddings?

Considering Henri and Maria Teresa had a civil and religious ceremony, it does seem likely that this is the practice in Luxembourg; I just wonder that there has been no mention of it - at least, in what I have read. But perhaps the ceremonies of Guillaume and Stephanie will take place on the same day (as per the Prince and Princess of Orange), rather than on two different occasions (as per his parents).

Fall is a lovely time for a wedding!
Henri and Maria Teresa and also Margaretha and marie Astrid had both ceremonies on the same day. First the civil Ceremony at the Palace and afterwards the religious one. Only Guillaume and Sibilla had their ceremonies at different days.
In every case one can think that there will be 2 ceremonies. By lay the are required to have a civil Ceremony as this is the only valid in Luxembourg and one can asumme that they will also have a religious Ceremony.

Excellent news,October is my favourite month!

I'm pretty sure that RTL.lu will have live-coverage, they show every year National Day celebration.

Henri and Maria Teresa and also Margaretha and marie Astrid had both ceremonies on the same day. First the civil Ceremony at the Palace and afterwards the religious one. Only Guillaume and Sibilla had their ceremonies at different days.
In every case one can think that there will be 2 ceremonies. By lay the are required to have a civil Ceremony as this is the only valid in Luxembourg and one can asumme that they will also have a religious Ceremony.
Thank you for clarifying about Henri and Maria Teresa's ceremonies as well as the law in Luxembourg. For some reason I thought that their civil and the religious ceremony were a few days apart. Perhaps it was the different dresses the bride wore, whereas Maxima wore her wedding gown to their civil and religious wedding ceremony.

I guess we need to wait to hear what Guillaume and Stephanie will do. Although not required by law, I doubt that there will be no religious ceremony.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom