Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope the Queen doesn't arrive at the chapel alone and have to wait for the others and the coffin.

I would I imagine that all of he children and grandchildren will walk behind the coffin but I imagine any partners and perhaps some of the children will arrive at the chapel ahead of the children.

I would ot be surprised to see Sophie actually being with the Queen.

The Queen, the Private Secretary, 7 children and partners. 8 grandchildren and probably 5 partners (I see Autumn being there) and a couple of great grand kids I dont see anyone else there

That comes to 22. As noted, there are several German nieces & nephews - not sure whether they're in good health to travel but I would imagine they, along with the Earl of Snowdon and Sarah Chatto are possibly more likely than any of the great-grandchildren, though it's hard to say. Savannah, Isla, George, Mia and Charlotte are all old enough to attend.

That comes to 22. As noted, there are several German nieces & nephews - not sure whether they're in good health to travel but I would imagine they, along with the Earl of Snowdon and Sarah Chatto are possibly more likely than any of the great-grandchildren, though it's hard to say. Savannah, Isla, George, Mia and Charlotte are all old enough to attend.

And the German nephews and niece have the Problem with the quarantine, Perhaps Lady Pamela Hicks will attend as i think she is still in good health and was always close to him and HM.

I can imagine the thoughts going through the Queen's mind as she sees the huge congregation of her family that follows behind the coffin of her beloved Philip. With a smile, she thinks "This is his legacy. This is what we created together". She will see Philip reflected in different ways in each and every family member. In a way, maybe she'll realize that he really hasn't left her but continues on through her, her children, her grandchildren and her great grandchildren and also her beloved nation. She'll smile as she realizes that it's only a short separation now until they meet again. A lifetime they spent together with each one of them allowed to be their own individual selves has done them both proud and has endured through thick and thin and ups and downs but never broken.

I believe this touching ceremony will surround our Queen's heart and soul and give her peace.

And the German nephews and niece have the Problem with the quarantine, Perhaps Lady Pamela Hicks will attend as i think she is still in good health and was always close to him and HM.

I expect to see the Countess of Burma, Penelope Knatchbull there definitely. She was very close to Philip over the years.

I assume a larger service of remembrance will take place in the future after restrictions are gone, possibly in a year.

So for that reason, I hope the older great-grandchildren can attend, rather than possibly more distant relatives.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56702886

Prince Philip: Charles says dear papa was very special
The Prince of Wales has paid tribute to his "dear papa", the Duke of Edinburgh, saying that he and the Royal Family miss him "enormously".

He said the duke, who died at Windsor Castle on Friday, aged 99, had given the "most remarkable, devoted service" to the Queen, the Royal Family, the country, and the Commonwealth.

Prince Charles has spoken from Highgrove about his father

Sky News has reported Anne has left Windsor castle after visiting her mother, she was with Sir Tim and Peter Phillips.

Last edited by a moderator:
Victoria was a relatively young woman when Albert died. She did lean on as I recall one of her daughters Helene (Lenchen) after Albert died. I don't think the QUeen will disappear into long period of mourning.

The Prince of Wales has paid tribute to his "dear papa", the Duke of Edinburgh, saying that he and the Royal Family miss him "enormously".

He said the duke, who died at Windsor Castle on Friday, aged 99, had given the "most remarkable, devoted service" to the Queen, the Royal Family, the country, and the Commonwealth.

Such a moving, beautiful statement...”dear papa” got me, sigh. It must have been so hard for Charles to speak at this incredibly painful time.

????????

Sky News has reported Anne has left Windsor castle after visiting her mother, she was with Sir Tim and Peter Phillips.

Do we know if Charles was there today?

Last edited by a moderator:

I would imagine that the oldest great grandchildren will attend and possibly should attend. People saying they are too young forget that Eugenie was George's age (a bit younger) when she was at Diana's. Which was a hugh event. This one as far as the children may be concerned will be entirely a family matter. Given no media and crowds and they were all a lot younger than.

We will see who will be there.

I can't see any of the German family. I could possibly see Sarah and David in fact. I would est the 30 may be the five oldest great grandchildren and Sarah, her husband and David. They were the family they spent Christmases with after all. Amd still do.

I doubt we'll see the great-grandchildren there. They're very young. But, if Lady Pamela's able to attend, I hope she's there: it'd be nice to have someone from the Mountbatten side, and I think Philip was a lot closer to her than to his sisters' children.

According to Sky News, the pre-Covid funeral plans included around 800 people - presumably friends, more distant relatives, Commonwealth representatives, foreign heads of state, representatives of charities and the Armed Forces, politicians etc etc.

Strange times.

Very sad but not entirely unexpected news especially after his long hospitalization. I'm glad he was able to pass what turned out to be his final days at home with the Queen.

Despite being born a Prince, his was not the easiest life. May he rest in peace now and forever.

I feel so badly for the Queen. She has lost her husband of 73+ years and the main support of her long reign as Queen. Once the funeral is done and family & friends return to their lives she will still have to face the hardest parts- the "first" times without him- her birthday, his birthday, their wedding anniversary, Christmas etc. and also continue her work as monarch. May God bless and keep her in His care.

I doubt we'll see the great-grandchildren there. They're very young. But, if Lady Pamela's able to attend, I hope she's there: it'd be nice to have someone from the Mountbatten side, and I think Philip was a lot closer to her than to his sisters' children.

According to Sky News, the pre-Covid funeral plans included around 800 people - presumably friends, more distant relatives, Commonwealth representatives, foreign heads of state, representatives of charities and the Armed Forces, politicians etc etc.

Strange times.

The youngest grandchildren are teens now and will attend. The eldest great grandchildren are still quite young and I would be surprised if any attended.

DId Philip's sisters have surviving children who might attend the funeral?

I doubt we'll see the great-grandchildren there.
Strange times.

Some of them really aren't. Savannah, Isla and Geroge are plenty old enough to be there. And even Mia and Charlotte.

Certainly the oldest three are really not any younger than any other member of the family when they were at these things growing up.

And I teach kids Savannah's age and they are more emotionally literate than me.

Very touching from Charles. I particularly liked him saying Philip was, not only much loved, but much appreciated.

The youngest grandchildren are teens now and will attend. The eldest great grandchildren are still quite young and I would be surprised if any attended.

DId Philip's sisters have surviving children who might attend the funeral?

James is older than Harry when we expected him to be presented as a monkey to us so we could see him grieve his mother. And somehow then we didn't have a problem with it.

He is around the age both
Beatrice and Eugenie were at the Queen Mother's Funeral and no one ever questioned that they should be there.

Harry was around Louise's age when he walked behind the Queen mothers coffin.

I think we have a very compassionate and empathic view for the younger members of the family when only a few years ago we just expected them to be in public from a young age and behave. How times change.

Now we are they are far too young. Well they aren't Savannah is the same age as her great grandmother when she watched her father be crowned. I think maybe we shouldnt underestimate them although thankfully they have much more sheltered lives.

Last edited:
Yes that's an apt description Alison H. Like a tribal elder.

From today's Express. I've heard this story about JFK Jr before but's it's very touching.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/roya...tion-queen-elizabeth-ii-royal-world-war-2-spt

I knew that Prince Philip was one of only 4 dignitaries permitted entrance to the private family quarters of the White House on the weekend of JFK's assassination (Eamon de Valera of Ireland, Charles de Gaulle, and Emperor Selassie of Ethiopia were the others) but this is the first time I have read that he spent time in the nursery entertaining John Jr.

What a poignant, revealing story.

I agree. There is no point in having the younger children there. It makes more sense to leave their spot for Philip's Mountbatten relatives and for Princess Margaret's family.

It looks like the funeral will be televised after all. I was afraid it would not be.

Last edited:
I knew that Prince Philip was one of only 4 dignitaries permitted entrance to the private family quarters of the White House on the weekend of JFK's assassination (Eamon de Valera of Ireland, Charles de Gaulle, and Emperor Selassie of Ethiopia were the others) but this is the first time I have read that he spent time in the nursery entertaining John Jr.

There is a very poignant picture of him holding John Jnr hand I think at a memorial. I don't think it is the funeral.

Here is it

Attachments

• 82a329806878f256c99bff8e3496659c.jpg
    82a329806878f256c99bff8e3496659c.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 105
I wouldn't be surprised if they knew JFK before he was president. I am sure they knew his sister Kathleen as she was in that aristocratic gang having been married into the Devonshires.

Also, Joseph P. Kennedy, JFK's father, served as the United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom from 1938 to late 1940. There have been ties from the Kennedys to the UK quite often over the years.

Chris Ship@chrisshipitv NEW: Boris Johnson will NOT attend the funeral of #princephilip next Saturday.
Downing Street says the Prime Minister has “throughout wanted to act in accordance with what is best for the Royal household” and won’t go “to allow for as many family members as possible” to attend.

PM Boris Johnson won't attend the Duke of Edinburgh's funeral (not that many of thought he would) It will “allow for as many family members as possible” to attend.

Also, Joseph P. Kennedy, JFK's father, served as the United States Ambassador to the United Kingdom from 1938 to late 1940. There have been ties from the Kennedys to the UK quite often over the years.

Mmmm. Hence how Kathleen met her husband. The Queen would have been a little young to be within their sphere but the Duke may have been. Socially.

I didn’t know that. Thanks for sharing.

It is a lovely, poignant and revealing story about Philip playing with JFK Jr. The photo of Philip holding his hand later is really touching too.

Chris Ship@chrisshipitv NEW: Boris Johnson will NOT attend the funeral of #princephilip next Saturday.
Downing Street says the Prime Minister has “throughout wanted to act in accordance with what is best for the Royal household” and won’t go “to allow for as many family members as possible” to attend.

That’s classy...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom