The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-11-2021, 12:29 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
I understand that this was a special service for workers on the Windsor grand estate. And that 4 places were given to the royals - the rest of the tickets were drawn by lots, allowing for every group to have a representative there. It was a special service to the Duke who was the estate keeper.
It was believed that Charles, Camilla, Edward and Sophie were to attend. Charles was to give a reading. Just before the service this afternoon - they were told that Prince Andrew would be attending and Louise would make up the fourth seat and Edward would give the reading. Many people in Windsor are seeing it as Charles might be pulling Andrew into public or that Andrew and Edward might have been asked to assist with the estate management.

Either way - there was no place for both children to attend.
I understand that Edward and Sophie will be accepted the condolences from the diplomatic corps during the week on behalf of the family. They will also be privately having the phone calls with the Duke of Edinburgh's patronages and charities. So it looks like Charles is delegating and will be doing the military appointments.
Thanks for the additional information. That explains Louise's presence and not James's.

I think it was a wise decision to have Andrew attend this service. In that way, the funeral isn't the first time he is officially seen in public again. And as one of the duke's 4 children, there is no reason to exclude him from family occasions related to his father's death. He won't do the more formal 'royal engagements' but this seemed an appropriate event to have Andrew attend as one of the four grieving children.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:38 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
I think Edward will be very busy in the future.

Andrew is the perfect person to tu the estate
Agreed on both counts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Thanks for the additional information. That explains Louise's presence and not James's.

I think it was a wise decision to have Andrew attend this service. In that way, the funeral isn't the first time he is officially seen in public again. And as one of the duke's 4 children, there is no reason to exclude him from family occasions related to his father's death. He won't do the more formal 'royal engagements' but this seemed an appropriate event to have Andrew attend as one of the four grieving children.
Truth. I have no interest in ripping Andrew NOW when he’s grieving his father. He deserves to be with his family...I thought he sounded emotional and very grateful for the love people are showing for his father.

Old 04-11-2021, 12:54 PM
Nobility

When I see some of you talking about Andrew and Edward "NOW" taking over the estate management roles I have the serious question if you really think that the DoE did this until his last breath.

On the other way round is this implying that it is a job that can even be done by a very frail 99 year old man and does not require much?

I would think that all of his more active roles have been rearranged to other members of the family for years.
Old 04-11-2021, 12:56 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Andrew doesn't seem to be getting any love from the public. The comments on DM and elsewhere have been scathing. I think the public is done with him.
I have not read the DM, but think they should get back to leaving Andrew out.
He simpy ,is bad at talking, interviews .
Makes no sense, too many I I I, em, em, em and searching for words while talking obviously nonsense.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:09 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy50 View Post
I have not read the DM, but think they should get back to leaving Andrew out.
He simpy ,is bad at talking, interviews .
Makes no sense, too many I I I, em, em, em and searching for words while talking obviously nonsense.

I agree. I don't see Andrew returning to any type of role any time soon. The chances are even less under Charles.
With that being said, I think he should be allowed to grieve for his father.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:24 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirilschatz View Post
When I see some of you talking about Andrew and Edward "NOW" taking over the estate management roles I have the serious question if you really think that the DoE did this until his last breath.

On the other way round is this implying that it is a job that can even be done by a very frail 99 year old man and does not require much?

I would think that all of his more active roles have been rearranged to other members of the family for years.
Sorry - misunderstand. The actually running of the estates on a day to day basis is now a paid position done by a professional. But the over looking part where is connects to the Crown estate was still ceremonially done by the DOE But Charles is more then ready and able, to jump in. Just like Charles has already prepared William for estate management.
Old 04-11-2021, 01:41 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCats View Post
Having lost my mother=in law (age 93) and father=in law(age 95) due to Covid-19 and my brother(age 66) due to a heart attack, all within a7 week period, I feel the loss of
Prince Phillip deeply.
I'm so sorry for your losses. These are difficult times.

Jerry4 - yes, maybe Andrew was thinking that the last time he was at the chapel for Beatrice's wedding, but it was so lovely to see Prince Philip literally walking tall on that day, which was only 9 months ago. So many people suffer long illnesses or long periods of being virtually bedridden, and that's difficult for anyone, especially for an active person like Prince Philip - I'm glad he was spared that.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellydofc View Post
I agree with your basic list. I think the 5 extra seats will go to

1. George (He is young but he's a future king and Beatrice was at Diana's funeral when she was younger. If there's wasn't the number restriction he'd definitely be there along with his sister.)
2. The Duke of Kent or Charlotte (I can go either way on this one)
3 - 5. Long time staff members
Perhaps Daniel Chatto and possibly even Mike Tindall and the husbands of Beatrice & Eugenie might forego 'their' places to enable people with a closer/ more longstanding relationship with the Duke and the Queen to attend, for example the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent, Princess Alexandra & Prince Michael, the latter three being 1C1R of the Duke as well as 1c of Her Majesty. I have a feeling the great-grandchildren, with the possible exception of George, will be absent from the ceremony.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:10 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy T View Post
Perhaps Daniel Chatto and possibly even Mike Tindall and the husbands of Beatrice & Eugenie might forego 'their' places to enable people with a closer/ more longstanding relationship with the Duke and the Queen to attend, for example the Dukes of Gloucester and Kent, Princess Alexandra & Prince Michael, the latter three being 1C1R of the Duke as well as 1c of Her Majesty. I have a feeling the great-grandchildren, with the possible exception of George, will be absent from the ceremony.
That is a good point, they could stay with the children. Watch it on tv within the castle.I would expect some Mountbatton presence.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:14 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
I would object to that. George is not more special I this instance than the other great grand children. And he is not the oldest.

Ad for spouses. I certainly my would agree to being absent to make space but would probably travel up to be with the family and sigificant others.

And I wouldn't be surprised to see this with many people walking behind the castle and perhaps I would imagine they will erect an open marquee for people to watch outside.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
That is a good point, they could stay with the children. Watch it on tv within the castle.I would expect some Mountbatton presence.
I have seen this alot. It is not allowed in the UK at the moment.

They could certainly erect something outdoors.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:21 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCats View Post
Having lost my mother=in law (age 93) and father=in law(age 95) due to Covid-19 and my brother(age 66) due to a heart attack, all within a7 week period, I feel the loss of
Prince Phillip deeply.
So sorry for your loss.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:24 PM
Nobility

Quote:
No one questioned a seven year old Princess Eugenie being involved in the absolute circus that was Princess Diana's funeral. Or 3 year old Princess Charlotte being at Prince Harry's wedding. The kids are fine.

I am seriously going to put money on the oldest of them being there. At a private service with 30 members of their family.

Normal families bring their babies to funerals. I went to my first wake at 6.

Thank you. Seriously thank you. And one of the best things about family funerals with older people is to have the next generation there. It provides such a sense of completeness and the circle of life.

This is a celebration of a life well lived. Lived for one his family and 2 his country. His great grandchildren are his family.

She is closer to Sophie.
This is what I'm thinking, that if HM asks anyone to accompany her in the car it would be Sophie.
Serene Highness

Quote:
I have seen this alot. It is not allowed in the UK at the moment.

They could certainly erect something outdoors.
I live in the UK.
Nobility

Quote:
I can see this as well. I do think it's so sad so many people are having to make the choice of who gets to attends funerals and who doesn't. Not just the royal family but many others. I am also grateful that the RF is following the rules. I know I've heard of more than a few occasions here in the US where people didn't, sometimes with horrible results.
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
A bit strange that the Wessexes left their son at home - but maybe they (rightly) expected the press and wanted to shield James from the press (or asked James whether he was up to it or would rather stay home).

Louise looked like a real princess. Very poised and supportive of her parents (but also supported by her parents).
It's so lovely that Lady Louise was included - she came across really well on camera, and obviously had a deep affection for her grandfather. We already know that she and James spent a lot of time with their grandparents, and I though it was just so fitting that Lady Louise took his carriage-ponies for some exercise on the morning of her grandfather's death - you can just imagine him asking her to do that!

I lost my 96 year old grandmother when I was 44 - and there is some truth to the fact that the longer you have them, the more you miss them, despite their age.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:28 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
It's so lovely that Lady Louise was included - she came across really well on camera, and obviously had a deep affection for her grandfather. We already know that she and James spent a lot of time with their grandparents, and I though it was just so fitting that Lady Louise took his carriage-ponies for some exercise on the morning of her grandfather's death - you can just imagine him asking her to do that!

I lost my 96 year old grandmother when I was 44 - and there is some truth to the fact that the longer you have them, the more you miss them, despite their age.
I think at your age that time had come back around. I lost both my grandmothers in my early twenties and I have always felt I never really got to remeet them as an adult.

Louise having yet to leave home still had that initial relationship with her grandparent and it hadn't come full circle for her. How lucky are the others that it did.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:30 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by irish_royalist View Post
I was practically raised by my grandparents. My grandfather and I shared the same birthday. I was in my mid-twenties when he passed away but I still miss him and our birthday has never felt quite right to me from that day to this and he's been gone 20 years now.
Old 04-11-2021, 02:41 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallo girl View Post
I live in the UK.
As they've told people not to come to the castle or gather outside, I can't see how they can have a lot of people in a marquee it would be very difficult for them to socially distance...
Old 04-11-2021, 02:42 PM
Nobility

I think spouses will be there otherwise there is going to be a lot of people sitting on their own at a funeral. Under the covid rules each household has to be socially distance. I have a feeling Andrew will be with the Queen. Harry possibly with Eugenie or whoever he stays with.
Old 04-11-2021, 03:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Lyman View Post
I think spouses will be there otherwise there is going to be a lot of people sitting on their own at a funeral. Under the covid rules each household has to be socially distance. I have a feeling Andrew will be with the Queen. Harry possibly with Eugenie or whoever he stays with.
The Queen and Andrew could very well bubble together but bubbles are fluid and people can enter some for situations such as work and sport.

So the entire family could be enter into one on Thursday if they are all negative and then end the bubble the Saturday or whenever.

The only thing about bubbles is the need to be self contained and then they are fine. Given one the school holidays and two the lack of a need to go out to work they should be okay.

Closed Thread