Death of HRH the Duke of Edinburgh: 9 April 2021

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think given the phrase was the Royal Family and the Private Secretary that is all family.

And too be honest as much as I would love Lady Pamela there. I dont think I would feel comfortable taking her if she was my Mum. I wouldn't go myself if there was a vulnerable person in my household.

It will be the Windsors that go and after so many years I can't imagine the older members of his friends and family would mind.

What about Norton Knatchbull the current 3rd Earl Mountbatten of Burma?

He has health issues going back quite a while. Prince Charles gave his daughter away at her wedding as he was unable. So I doubt he would be there.

What about Norton Knatchbull the current 3rd Earl Mountbatten of Burma?

Given that he had a very public affair/betrayed the countess and left for the Caribbean and the royal family supported the Countess and not their family member the Earl in this mess; I don't think they would want to attend together... as they seem to effectively be 'separated' (even though apparently the Countess let him back in the house after he lived in the Bahamas with his mistress for several years when his health started to decline - but the house is large enough with 60 tooms). However, if all would be well between them again, and the Countess would prefer him to attend (and his health would allow for it - which seems questionable) he might indeed attend - but it seems more likely that he doesn't.

Last edited:
We’ll see. I don’t want to speculate about how much time they’ll have or won’t have, or how long Harry is staying. It seems he’ll be visiting his grandmother first, so he might well be in a bubble.

Well he can certainly see out his isolation in Windsor and then ince it ends I persume he could enter a house bubble there.

Who knows how long he will stay and if he does say linger of course there will be multiple opportunities to meet up with people outdoors in gardens.

But given he has a pregnant wife I can't imagine he will.

But it would do the relationships a world of good if he could stay for a few weeks.

Prince Harry is discussed in his own thread in the Sussex forum. We do not need to have two simular discussions between the same posters in two threads at the same time. Posts have been removed.

Speculative posts predicting the death of Queen Elizabeth II and about mental health issues among other members of the RF have been removed.

Last edited:
Given that he had a very public affair/betrayed the countess and left for the Caribbean and the royal family supported the Countess and not their family member the Earl in this mess; I don't think they would want to attend together...

Although Penny did take him back, he lives in a different domicile on the estate at Broadlands and has no part in the running of the estate. The couple never divorced but they're not living in marital bliss either. Penny, I believe, was much closer to the Duke of Edinburgh than Norton was.

Although Penny did take him back, he lives in a different domicile on the estate at Broadlands and has no part in the running of the estate. The couple never divorced but they're not living in marital bliss either. Penny, I believe, was much closer to the Duke of Edinburgh than Norton was.

I honestly dont see anyone else but the direct family be there.

At a push an extended member of the royal family.

A nice 29 number is the Queen, Private Sec, 7 children and in laws. 12 grandchildren and partners. 5 great grand kids and the three Armstrong Jones Chatto.

It is there own family Christmases.

Just come across this on YouTube, Philip talking about his WW2 experiences. I've not really heard him do so before and watching him do so makes you understand why things like VE day events, the cenotaph and so on were so important to him.

I’ve enjoyed seeing some new photos of The Duke over the last couple of days. Or at least they’ve been new to me. The latest picture of him on TRF’s Instagram is beautiful, as is the one of Anne with her father - you can tell he thought the world of her. I also thought Anne’s statement accompanying the photo was touching.

First may he rest in peace. He served his country in a great way. Condolences to the family.

It's also unfortunate, due to the pandemic, he couldn't get the pomp and circumstance he deserves considering he has so many connections to other families.

Having lost my mother=in law (age 93) and father=in law(age 95) due to Covid-19 and my brother(age 66) due to a heart attack, all within a7 week period, I feel the loss of
Prince Phillip deeply.
So sorry for all your losses. I do remember when we lost my mother and then her best friend soon after it seemed as if everyone was dying.

Message from The Princess Royal following the death of her father, The Duke of Edinburgh.

“You know it’s going to happen but you are never really ready. My father has been my teacher, my supporter and my critic, but mostly it is his example of a life well lived and service freely given that I most wanted to emulate. His ability to treat every person as an individual in their own right with their own skills comes through all the organisations with which he was involved.

I regard it as an honour and a privilege to have been asked to follow in his footsteps and it has been a pleasure to have kept him in touch with their activities. I know how much he meant to them, in the UK, across the Commonwealth and in the wider world.

I would like to emphasise how much the family appreciate the messages and memories of so many people whose lives he also touched. We will miss him but he leaves a legacy which can inspire us all.”

May he Rest in Peace knowing he served his country, family, and the world well. I support the World Wildlife Fund and knowing he was involved with them makes me respect him more. My condolences to the family.

I was thinking of Penny who was a great friend of his but couldn’t remember her title.

Was he close to his sisters’ children? Germans?

I’m sure I’ve seen pictures of nephews/great nephews at Windsor in recent years.

Everyone's words were lovely - including Andrew's.

Given that he had a very public affair/betrayed the countess and left for the Caribbean and the royal family supported the Countess and not their family member the Earl in this mess; I don't think they would want to attend together... as they seem to effectively be 'separated' (even though apparently the Countess let him back in the house after he lived in the Bahamas with his mistress for several years when his health started to decline - but the house is large enough with 60 tooms). However, if all would be well between them again, and the Countess would prefer him to attend (and his health would allow for it - which seems questionable) he might indeed attend - but it seems more likely that he doesn't.

I guess we'll know more later on next week.

I’m so emotional reading this, really in the verge of tears...I know it’s the Mail, but it’s Robert Hardman, and I trust him....

The Queen is strong, but she’s only human, and she’s just lost the man she’s loved for over 70 years. Charles will continue to take on responsibilities, but I think his biggest and most important will be taking care of his mother, making sure she’s ok...

With his life drawing to a close, a frail Duke of Edinburgh had just three important things to say when he asked to see his eldest son in hospital a few weeks ago. In an emotional bedside conversation, the Duke advised Prince Charles on caring for the Queen when he was gone, and on how Charles should lead the Royal Family through the years ahead.

And, fully aware he was unlikely to recover after weeks in hospital, the 99-year-old expressed a wish to go finally home, a Palace source revealed. He wanted to die in his own bed, behind the walls of Windsor Castle.

He left the decision-making to his wife, the Monarch, and his eldest son, the future King. But he still stepped in when he felt it was necessary.

In 2019, following days of mounting pressure over Prince Andrew's disastrous television interview over his friendship with convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, it was Philip who orchestrated the showdown meeting with Charles at Sandringham.

And it was Philip who elected to speak to Andrew first – to soften the blow that the Duke of York would have no choice but to step back from Royal duties.

The relationship between Charles and Philip was beginning to look very much like a partnership – a fondness evident in the tribute Charles, 72, paid to his 'dear papa' yesterday.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...OBERT-JOBSON-reveals-bedside-heart-heart.html

Thanks Betsypaige for the words from Robert Hardman. I also trust what Hardman writes. I have several of his books and they're all excellently written. He's a man that digs into the facts and the realities so missing in a lot of reporters and journalists these days.

Philip always was a man to take control of things and lead the way and it doesn't surprise me in the least he was this involved in his own death and its aftermath. Being so concerned about leaving his wife of 73 years behind of course was paramount in his mind and he wanted to take measures to ensure that she was well looked after.

With always being a realist and a matter of fact kind of guy, I think Philip accepted the end of his life with grace, dignity and concern for those that he's leaving behind. He died in peace knowing everything was in order.

I’m so emotional reading this, really in the verge of tears...I know it’s the Mail, but it’s Robert Hardman, and I trust him....

The Queen is strong, but she’s only human, and she’s just lost the man she’s loved for over 70 years. Charles will continue to take on responsibilities, but I think his biggest and most important will be taking care of his mother, making sure she’s ok...

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...OBERT-JOBSON-reveals-bedside-heart-heart.html

She's even loved him for over 80 years; she was 13 when they first met and started corresponding because the princess fell in love with this foreign prince.

She's even loved him for over 80 years; she was 13 when they first met and started corresponding because the princess fell in love with this foreign prince.

Right....I meant to say over 80 years!

:previous: This to me is the most remarkable thing about the Queen and the Duke. She set eyes on him at 13 years old and that was that. No other man would do for her. Their love spanned so many years of history through war and peace and times of happiness and times of sorrow but they always faced it together as a strong unit. They didn't need to be in each other's back pocket all the time and embraced and respected each other's individuality. *This* is the secret to a long and very successful marriage in my eyes.

Thanks Betsypaige for the words from Robert Hardman. I also trust what Hardman writes. I have several of his books and they're all excellently written. He's a man that digs into the facts and the realities so missing in a lot of reporters and journalists these days.

Philip always was a man to take control of things and lead the way and it doesn't surprise me in the least he was this involved in his own death and its aftermath. Being so concerned about leaving his wife of 73 years behind of course was paramount in his mind and he wanted to take measures to ensure that she was well looked after.

With always being a realist and a matter of fact kind of guy, I think Philip accepted the end of his life with grace, dignity and concern for those that he's leaving behind. He died in peace knowing everything was in order.

You’re welcome ! I couldn’t agree with you more. I would just add that it’s so moving that he knew he wouldn’t be around to take care of his Lilibet, and he placed his trust in his eldest to do the most important thing he could ever ask him or anyone to do. Not only that, but he has the sacred duty of leading his family (not in the sense HM does, but as Philip did).

The Queen may be the matriarch of the family and the head of state but it was Philip that was the true patriarch of the family that he ruled with an iron hand when needed. He's passed that torch onto his son knowing he's ready and able to take on the job in his place. So fitting. ?

Prince Maximilian and Prince Ludwig of Baden are the sons of Philip's sister, Princess Theodora. Might Prince Maximilian and Prince Ludwig come to the service?

They first met even earlier as their families were both closely related and part of a wide social circle centered around the Wernhers at Luton Hoo who was related to and friendly with both of their's parents. The first time that we for certain know that they met was at the wedding of Prince George and Princess Marina in 1934 where then Princess Elizabeth was one of the bridesmaids and Prince Philip was a guest as the first cousin of the bride.

https://royalmusingsblogspotcom.blogspot.com/2017/12/of-course-elizabeth-knew-philip.html?m=1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom