The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 04:43 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Some of the comments sound quite similar to those made when he turned 90 and then when he retired to me.
Except dressed in black. People are only going to say the same thing.

I really like how they are made to be timeless too. You couldn't place when they are made. Very cleverly done and always very nice commemoration too. I don't k ow what people would except.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:47 PM
Heir Apparent

Exactly, they are saying almost exactly the same as when he retired just in black. They aren't pretending they are speaking right now with faux tears or anything. As ever, lovely to hear from his children about how loving he was, and to be reminded how difficult his childhood and upbringing was.

Old 04-09-2021, 04:50 PM
Serene Highness

Oh Andrew has appeared.

Wonder if the grandchildren will show.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataryn View Post
Isn't Felipe's mother queen Sofia born a Greek princess and thus a direct cousin of prince Philip? And queen Ena of Spain, Felip's great-grandmother, was a Battenberg, too?
Let me try to get this right! Ena's father was Prince Henry of Battenberg, the brother of Prince Louis of Battenberg, so Ena was the first cousin of Prince Philip's mother. And Ena's mother was Princess Beatrice, the younger sister of both Prince Philip's great-grandmother, Princess Alice, and the Queen's great-grandfather, Edward VII. Queen Sofia's father was Prince Philip's first cousin.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:53 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy100 View Post
Exactly, they are saying almost exactly the same as when he retired just in black. They aren't pretending they are speaking right now with faux tears or anything. As ever, lovely to hear from his children about how loving he was, and to be reminded how difficult his childhood and upbringing was.
Horrendous childhood. Quite shocking really.
Old 04-09-2021, 04:58 PM
Majesty

Just watched the two interviews with the princess royal and earl of Wessex. I really liked how Anne talked about his father's childhood (which might be relatively new information for many while it must have shaped him as a person); she clearly didn't like the question about his 'gaffes' and blamed people reading the wrong newspapers... before asking to move on. I thought that Edward handled that part much better, while starting by saying that the picture of his father as a rascal was unfair (but how the duke was good sports about it) and stressing how his father's humor (accompanied by a twinkle in his eye) was such an important part of his personality but that his humor could be interpreted differently and be used against him.

And I liked Edward talking about how important his parents were for each other; that was missing in Anne's interview (but could have been edited out).
Old 04-09-2021, 05:10 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I don't recall seeing that image but I'd like to. Was it at the actual funeral or while they were looking at the flowers outside Balmoral?
The funeral procession video. More like arms around their shoulders.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:20 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppy7 View Post
Well how else would they do it? Macabre certainly but people don't want to talk the day someone dies and it takes time to put TV shows together. They probably have dozens for the Queen.

Happens for loads of people. When I first started seeing them I was a bit confused but it makes sense.
Yes. I think it was one of the Queen's cousins or maybe one of the Mountbatten ladies that talked once about having to film remembrances of about 10 people whilst they were still alive and how strange it was to talk about them in the past tense. It happens with many public figures for the documentaries designed for the day their death is announced.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:22 PM
Majesty

Some family relationship of Felipe with Elizabeth and Philip:

FELIPE WITH ELIZABETH
Felipe - Juan Carlos - Juan - Victoria Eugenie - Beatrice - Victoria & Albert
Elizabeth II - George VI - George V - Edward VII - Victoria & Albert
[Third cousins, once removed]

Felipe - Sofia - Frederika - Victoria Louise - Wilhelm II - Victoria - Victoria & Albert
[Third cousins, twice removed]

FELIPE WITH PHILIP
Felipe - Sofia - Paul - Constantine I - George I & Olga
Philip - Andrew - George I & Olga
[First cousins, twice removed]

Felipe - Juan Carlos - Juan - Victoria Eugenie - Henry - Alexander & Julia
Philip - Alice - Louis - Alexander & Julia
[Second cousins, twice removed]

Philip - Alice - Victoria - Alice - Victoria & Albert

Felipe - Sofia - Frederika - Victoria Louise - Wilhelm II - Victoria - Victoria & Albert

ELIZABETH WITH PHILIP
[Third cousins]
Old 04-09-2021, 05:25 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLLK View Post
I recall seeing during the funeral procession, briefly when they(Phillip, Charles, William, Harry, Charles Spencer) thought they were out of public view under Marble Arch that was when there was a side hug or pat on the shoulder from the DoE to his grandsons. Then they began to walk forward again.
Ah, thank you. I think I may have actually seen that clip then. I’d like to see it again, though. I’ll have to look it up this evening.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:38 PM
Royal Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Ah, thank you. I think I may have actually seen that clip then. I’d like to see it again, though. I’ll have to look it up this evening.
Its the archway underneath the Horse Guards building going from Horse Guards Parade into Whitehall. It's about 15 minutes or so before the arrival at the abbey if that helps.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:42 PM
Heir Apparent

https://pagesix.com/2021/04/09/willi...ium=SocialFlow

Middletons attending the funeral? They included in the final 30. Interesting if true.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:43 PM
Heir Presumptive

Even though it was expected it is still a really sad time for The Queen. After 73 years together that is a special relationship together. This morning I was listening to a radio interview of The Duke speaking about his carriage driving accident back in 1985. After that the radio played Roberta Flack's song Killing me softly with his song." And that was it for me, I teared up and felt quite emotional. This was a man who was always there supporting The Queen for my whole life. I always thought he was tremendous, and I loved the fact he wasn't always Politically correct.

He belonged to a generation when Men were Men, and Men were Gentlemen.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:46 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alison H View Post
Let me try to get this right! Ena's father was Prince Henry of Battenberg, the brother of Prince Louis of Battenberg, so Ena was the first cousin of Prince Philip's mother. And Ena's mother was Princess Beatrice, the younger sister of both Prince Philip's great-grandmother, Princess Alice, and the Queen's great-grandfather, Edward VII. Queen Sofia's father was Prince Philip's first cousin.

Which means Queen Sofia is Philip's first cousin once removed or the PoW's second cousin, correct?
Old 04-09-2021, 05:50 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACO View Post
https://pagesix.com/2021/04/09/willi...ium=SocialFlow

Middletons attending the funeral? They included in the final 30. Interesting if true.
I very much doubt this is true but, of course, we have no way of knowing until the RF releases a list or photos/videos are obtained. If, by some chance, it is true then that is very interesting indeed. I did notice the article stated that Mr. and Mrs. Middleton have become good friends with Charles and Camilla. We gave no way to know if that’s true, either, but for the sake of their children and grandchildren I certainly hope it is. Life, and particularly a life like they lead, is always most pleasant when everyone involved is friendly and supportive.
Old 04-09-2021, 05:58 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
BBC one has Charles too. I would say Andrew has been edited out...
Thanks! I look forward to listening to them...
Old 04-09-2021, 05:59 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Some family relationship of Felipe with Elizabeth and Philip:

FELIPE WITH ELIZABETH

FELIPE WITH PHILIP
Felipe - Sofia - Paul - Constantine I - George I & Olga
Philip - Andrew - George I & Olga
[First cousins, twice removed]

Felipe - Juan Carlos - Juan - Victoria Eugenie - Henry - Alexander & Julia
Philip - Alice - Louis - Alexander & Julia
[Second cousins, twice removed]

ELIZABETH WITH PHILIP
[Third cousins]

Philip - Andrew - George I (of the Hellenes) - Christian IX. of Denmark

Elizabeth - George VI. - George V. - Alexandra - Christian IX. of Denmark
(Second cousins, once removed)
Old 04-09-2021, 06:01 PM
Courtier

Quote:
BBC one has Charles too. I would say Andrew has been edited out...
Andrew was also featured; all four siblings were featured on BBC
Old 04-09-2021, 06:01 PM
Royal Highness

Information about events on the 10th. Appropriately, salutes at sea as well as on land.

https://www.royal.uk/gun-salutes-0
Old 04-09-2021, 06:03 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Andrew was also featured; all four siblings were featured on BBC
Yeah I saw that. Interesting they him in. Interesting no grandchildren were I interviewed. It would have been nice.

Closed Thread