The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2021, 02:31 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fijiro View Post
Those are lovely and kind words from The President of the United States, a man who has lost many very close family members and understands loss.
My thought exactly!!

Old 04-09-2021, 02:31 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Is it known whether Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward and other family members are with the Queen at Windsor Castle at the moment?
There was a photograph just published of Prince Charles arriving at Windsor earlier today. I'm not sure about the others.

Old 04-09-2021, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
This is immensely sad. I was hoping he'd be alright since he was released from the hospital. It feels like something steadfast, strong, and immense has passed. My thoughts with the Queen :(

RIP, sir. Fair winds and following seas!
It could be he wanted to die at home.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:32 PM
Heir Apparent

Prince Charles has apparently visited HM today - so reports BBC

Pics from Express online
https://cdn.images.express.co.uk/img...=1617987508739
Old 04-09-2021, 02:35 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by An Ard Ri View Post
The bells of Westminster Abbey toll following the death of HRH The Duke of Edinburgh earlier today.

So poignant...thank you!
Old 04-09-2021, 02:36 PM
Majesty

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
It could be he wanted to die at home.
of course he would have wanted to die at home.. but I think it was on the cards from his long stay in hospital that he was wearing out....
Old 04-09-2021, 02:40 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
A summary of reactions of Commonwealth heads of government from the same BBC article above.

A summary of reactions of Commonwealth heads of government from the same BBC article above.

Quote:
Australian PM Scott Morrison said in a statement: "He embodied a generation that we will never see again."

He praised the duke as the patron of dozens of organisations in Australia.

The praise from New Zealand's PM Jacinda Ardern was similar, saying that "thousands of young people have completed life-changing challenges" through the duke's Hillary Award.

Canada's PM Justin Trudeau said the duke had "contributed so much to the social fabric of our country - and the world".

He added: "Prince Philip was a man of great purpose and conviction, who was motivated by a sense of duty to others. We will fondly remember him as a pillar in the life of our Queen."

Pakistan's PM Imran Khan said Philip had been a "wise leader" and his "role in promoting Pakistan-UK relations will always be remembered".

And Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi was another to praise a lifetime of dedication to "many community service initiatives".

Kenya's President Uhuru Kenyatta said the duke was a "towering symbol of family values and the unity of the British people as well as the entire global community" - a man who had worked for the "peaceful co-existence of the human race".

Kind messages from Commonwealth Realms' Heads of Governments of Canada, Australia, and New Zealand, where the Queen is also their Head of State.

And also from Heads of States of Pakistan, India, and Kenya. These are Republic Countries that are members of the Commonwealth of Nations, but with their own heads of state.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:43 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blog Real View Post
Is it known whether Prince Charles, Princess Anne, Prince Andrew and Prince Edward and other family members are with the Queen at Windsor Castle at the moment?
BBC just reported that Prince Charles visited the Queen this morning at Windsor.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:45 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
Another beautiful and personal statement, this one from former President Barack Obama...
When we first met His Royal Highness Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh, he and Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II had already been on the world stage for more than half a century — welcoming leaders like Churchill and Kennedy; Mandela and Gorbachev. As two Americans unaccustomed to palaces and pomp, we didn’t know what to expect.

We shouldn’t have worried. The Queen and Prince Philip immediately put us at ease with their grace and generosity, turning a ceremonial occasion into something far more natural, even comfortable. Prince Philip in particular was kind and warm, with a sharp wit and unfailing good humor. It was our first introduction to the man behind the title, and in the years since, our admiration for him has only grown. We will miss him dearly.

Like the Queen, Prince Philip saw world wars and economic crises come and go. The radio gave way to the television, and the television to the internet. And through it all, he helped provide steady leadership and guiding wisdom. It has long been said that the United States and Great Britain have a special relationship — one that has been maintained and strengthened not just by presidents and prime ministers but by the Royal Family that has outlasted them all.

At the Queen’s side or trailing the customary two steps behind, Prince Philip showed the world what it meant to be a supportive husband to a powerful woman. Yet he also found a way to lead without demanding the spotlight — serving in combat in World War II, commanding a frigate in the Royal Navy, and tirelessly touring the world to champion British industry and excellence. Through his extraordinary example, he proved that true partnership has room for both ambition and selflessness — all in service of something greater.

As the world mourns his loss, we send our warmest wishes and deepest sympathies to the Queen, their children, grandchildren, and great-grandchildren; and everyone who knew and loved this remarkable man.
This is not a day for politics. Once again as on many occasions President Obama’s words comfort me when I need them.
This is also not a day to focus on HRH’s flaws - I can only say that I loved him more for them. He was a person not a pedestal- someone to look at- not to look up at, though no doubt an inspiration.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:52 PM
Courtier

I would expect that there will be programs and the like on over the weekend to commemorate the life of the late DoE. Has anyone seen any of these listed so far? I'm in America so I might have to watch them at a different time. I'm wondering if there might be a special put on Netflix or Amazon Prime this weekend, though. They do have a ton of documentaries like that on the RF.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:52 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenMathilde View Post
Supposedly William said that the only way he'd walk behind Diana's coffin was if Phillip walked with him.
I shall never forget him behind Diana’s coffin. Told me a lot about him. I hope now there is a reunion and peace.
Old 04-09-2021, 02:56 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Heather_ View Post
I would expect that there will be programs and the like on over the weekend to commemorate the life of the late DoE. Has anyone seen any of these listed so far? I'm in America so I might have to watch them at a different time. I'm wondering if there might be a special put on Netflix or Amazon Prime this weekend, though. They do have a ton of documentaries like that on the RF.
I’ll post if I see anything set to air on BBC America or BBC World as I get those channels. I wonder if PBS, which airs many Royal programs, or Smithsonian Channel, might air a tribute. I’ll tweet Smithsonian.

Edit: Smithsonian posted a clip from their Inside Windsor Castle special

https://twitter.com/smithsonianchan/...833740288?s=21
Old 04-09-2021, 03:02 PM
Heir Apparent

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryVirginia View Post
He lived a life filled with acts we can all admire...if nothing else simply that he did not "retire" until his 90's! But I particularly remember him walking behind the casket of Princess Diana in her funeral cortege. I don't know whether or not his "position" required him to do so, but it seemed to me the act of a great gentleman.
I think it had less to do with him being a Prince, and more to do with being a grandfather. I shall never forget. The hug he gave the boys!
Old 04-09-2021, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Harry spoke to his dad...he’s trying to make it for the funeral...

I’m hoping that the family can come together and make peace now that they are face to face...lord knows no one wants to have any regrets should something happen to anyone in the family.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...rince-23887173
Old 04-09-2021, 03:33 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
"Lilibet" is not King Felipe's aunt. He is the Queen's third cousin once removed .

However, in Hispanic countries, it is not uncommon for removed cousins to refer incorrectly to older cousins (of a different generation) as aunt/uncle.

Isn't Felipe's mother queen Sofia born a Greek princess and thus a direct cousin of prince Philip? And queen Ena of Spain, Felip's great-grandmother, was a Battenberg, too?
Old 04-09-2021, 03:36 PM
Aristocracy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Somebody View Post
Won't family members be able to sit together?

So, we would have 10 family units for the BRF:
1. The Queen (it would be wonderful if at least one of her children could some how form a bubble with her)

2. Charles & Camilla

3. Anne & Timothy

4. Andrew

5. Edward, Sophie, Louise & James

6. William & Catherine (& children)

7. Peter (& children)

8. Zara & Mike (& children)

9. Beatrice & Eduardo

10. Eugenie & Jack

Assuming Harry won't be back in time, I left him out as well.

Households will be able to sit together, but the way the layout is in the Quire with two rows directly behind each other on each side I think the capacity will be halved.

There's not enough social distancing space to have people in both the front and back row. It might just work if families sat in front and behind each other - so William behind Catherine then a space to the next family- but I still can't see that working for all of them. I think using the bigger part of the church will be much more practical.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:42 PM
Imperial Majesty
Royal Blogger

Both Anne and Edward have been interviewed today for a broadcast on ITV;

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-09/...ir-late-father
Old 04-09-2021, 03:42 PM
Heir Presumptive

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseroyal View Post
I shall never forget him behind Diana’s coffin. Told me a lot about him. I hope now there is a reunion and peace.

Indeed. I remember one of the commentators had been wondering where Philip was- then seeing him clearly planning to walk behind the coffin. He was impressed....but not impressed. It was like- exactly what he expected from Philip, but impressive due to him being in his 70s by then.

He walked behind his sister and her family’s coffins as a teenager.

It indeed said a lot about him. What a man.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:44 PM
Courtier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betsypaige View Post
Harry spoke to his dad...he’s trying to make it for the funeral...

I’m hoping that the family can come together and make peace now that they are face to face...lord knows no one wants to have any regrets should something happen to anyone in the family.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-new...rince-23887173
If this article is accurate then it heavily implies that the last 24 hours at least have been very clear that it was only a matter of a time and a very short time at that. Hopefully that allowed everyone time to say their goodbyes either in person if possible or by video call.
Old 04-09-2021, 03:47 PM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lumutqueen View Post
Both Anne and Edward have been interviewed today for a broadcast on ITV;

https://www.itv.com/news/2021-04-09/...ir-late-father
Recorded before to be shown on his death. I hate when tv does his but what are they supposed to do I guess.

Closed Thread