The Royal Forums Coat of Arms

Join The Royal Forums Today

Old 09-20-2020, 05:28 PM
Heir Apparent
Royal Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbruno View Post
I meant to ask why none of them seem interested in Math-oriented subjects. Prince William took Biology though, which at least is a natural science.
In my family, we're typically not the best at maths (most of us, to be brutally honest, aren't the sharpest tools in the box in general!) and are better at humanities or creative subjects. Sometimes it's hereditary - maybe this is also the case for the Windsors?

"Think of all the beauty still left around you and be happy". Anne Frank
Old 09-20-2020, 07:05 PM
Nobility

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereditaryPrincess View Post
In my family, we're typically not the best at maths (most of us, to be brutally honest, aren't the sharpest tools in the box in general!) and are better at humanities or creative subjects. Sometimes it's hereditary - maybe this is also the case for the Windsors?
I remember reading The King's Speech by Mark Logue and Peter Conradi, George VI was terrible at Maths. Here is the extract I found online
"Bertie's problems were compounded by his dismal academic performance. Osborne was essentially a technical school, concentrating on maths, navigation, science and engineering. Although good at practical side of engineering and seamanship, he was a disaster at mathematics, typically coming bottom of the class or close to it"
Online version of the book
https://www.google.com.au/books/edit...sec=frontcover

The future King was sent to the Royal Navy College at Osbourne House on the Isle of Wight. Like George V, Bertie was destined for the Royal Navy (without any choice, I presumed). I am glad that young Royals now are free to choose what subjects they want to study and careers they want to pursue.

Old 09-20-2020, 08:06 PM
Majesty

I don't think either of Louise's parents showed any interest in mathematical subjects. I remember that Edward read History at Cambridge after Gordonstoun but there was quite a lot of criticism at the time of his admission because his A-levels were far below what was usually demanded at Oxbridge institutions.

Sophie left school to undertake a secretarial course and then went on to work in PR so I presume she didn't have a huge ability in the mathematics and sciences area either.

I agree with HereditaryPrincess that interest in these things tends to run in families. In mine we all tend to be arty and creative but maths leads most of us cold.

What is quite surprising though is that Prince Philip excelled as a naval officer, which included mathematics and science but Charles, who followed him into the RN, struggled as a schoolboy and cadet with those subjects. Andrew (as a naval officer) may have been capable and developed an interest in technology, but Anne and Edward don't seem to have been interested. So it's perhaps not surprising that Louise may well go in for an Arts degree at University.
Old 09-25-2020, 02:49 AM
Nobility

As some posters have pointed out, James is currently attending Eagle House School (a coeducational preparatory school, near Sandhurst in Berkshire), according to a Sunday Times interview with the Countess of Wessex (published on 6th June). I assume he is in his final year at Eagle House School, before starting secondary school next year (in September).

Unfortunately, the article is behind a pay wall
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/c...ship-qngnxsdcg

I did originally find this information on Wikipedia, but with a citation to the Sunday Times article.
Old 09-25-2020, 03:54 AM
Serene Highness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curryong View Post
I don't think either of Louise's parents showed any interest in mathematical subjects. I remember that Edward read History at Cambridge after Gordonstoun but there was quite a lot of criticism at the time of his admission because his A-levels were far below what was usually demanded at Oxbridge institutions.

Sophie left school to undertake a secretarial course and then went on to work in PR so I presume she didn't have a huge ability in the mathematics and sciences area either.

I agree with HereditaryPrincess that interest in these things tends to run in families. In mine we all tend to be arty and creative but maths leads most of us cold.

What is quite surprising though is that Prince Philip excelled as a naval officer, which included mathematics and science but Charles, who followed him into the RN, struggled as a schoolboy and cadet with those subjects. Andrew (as a naval officer) may have been capable and developed an interest in technology, but Anne and Edward don't seem to have been interested. So it's perhaps not surprising that Louise may well go in for an Arts degree at University.
I was told that Edward's results were incorrectly published in the press - and the palace did not correct the tabloid as it is would have made more of the story then it was worth.
However in really the only biography on Edward, by Ingrid Steward Prince Philip wanted Edward to explore possible employment in Accountancy or Engineering after he left the Marines. Seems rather odd for someone with no aptitude in figures for his father to want this. Might just have been wishful thinking on his father's side. Another thing that really doesn't add up is that Edward studied further in business after leaving the Marines which would have included Accounting subjects.