Andrew's future outside of the working BRF

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
"King Charles has ‘evicted’ Duke of York from Buckingham Palace."

I just read this article this morning from The Telegraph, not really sure where to put it, please move to appropriate thread.

King Charles has ‘evicted’ Duke of York from Buckingham Palace
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/royal-f...rles-has-evicted-duke-york-buckingham-palace/

"The Duke had maintained his private office at the palace, despite being stripped of his role as a working member of the family. He still has a “modest” staff of three or four people, including an admin secretary and a communications secretary, some of whom were based at the office. However, the King is understood to have had a “reshuffle” since taking up residence, removing his brother’s office space."

“Any presence at the palace is officially over,” a source was quoted as telling The Sun, adding: “The King has made it clear. He isn’t a working royal. He’s on his own.”

Andrew's residence at the royal lodge is quite large. He can use a room (or 2) to house the office of a private secretary if he would like.

As a non-working royal, he doesn't need any admin or communications staff or an office so I can only wonder what they've been doing in that office since he 'stepped down'.

As a non-working royal, he doesn't need any admin or communications staff or an office so I can only wonder what they've been doing in that office since he 'stepped down'.

"Communications staff" - This might hide Public Relations. So, the folks which orchestrate his riding outings, or him driving a car somewhere... - but by accident close to the paparazzi...

I don't know about his hopes and the plans which might derive from them, but if he did undersand after the utter interview failure, that he is in need of professional advise - it might be too little too late, but he is still learning, what is a good thing.

"Communications staff" - This might hide Public Relations. So, the folks which orchestrate his riding outings, or him driving a car somewhere... - but by accident close to the paparazzi...

I don't know about his hopes and the plans which might derive from them, but if he did undersand after the utter interview failure, that he is in need of professional advise - it might be too little too late, but he is still learning, what is a good thing.

This article doesn't make sense - there was no staff. Maybe there was an empty room designated for Prince Andrew but there were no people in it. His private secretary started a new job over a year ago and they never replaced her. So what staff?

Isn’t it at least likely that those particular rooms are currently being painted or refitted? It may have nothing to do with Charles.

After re-reading the article it also said, "As part of the decision, the Duke, 62, will reportedly not be able to use the address for any future correspondence" and "Buckingham Palace declined to comment" It's difficult to know how much of this article is based on fact. It may be that Prince Andrew was still addressing correspondence using Buckingham Palace letterhead but otherwise his former offices have laid empty and are now being refurbished.

After re-reading the article it also said, "As part of the decision, the Duke, 62, will reportedly not be able to use the address for any future correspondence" and "Buckingham Palace declined to comment" It's difficult to know how much of this article is based on fact. It may be that Prince Andrew was still addressing correspondence using Buckingham Palace letterhead but otherwise his former offices have laid empty and are now being refurbished.

This might be about free mailing privileges including packages, express mailings and similar benefits usually afforded to working royals. Sarah had billing issues with the Crown Post Office on the Windsor Estate years back, after the divorce. It's in one of my books, either "Fergie Confidential" or Allan Starkey's book. She ran up huge bills.

Last edited:

what evidence is there that he is learnng anything?

This might be about free mailing privileges including packages, express mailings and similar benefits usually afforded to working royals. Sarah had billing issues with the Crown Post Office on the Windsor Estate years back, after the divorce. It's in one of my books, either "Fergie Confidential" or Allan Starkey's book. She ran up huge bills.

Probalby Andrew does still hang onto royal privileges for sending letters and has some part time admin staff who help out, even if it is now social invitations rather than royal work.

I think it's a good thing that Charles has made it clear that, as the monarch, a decision was made to completely sever Andrew from "The Firm" proper to avoid any appearance of him having any sort of official presence at BP. Right up to him even receiving correspondence there.

What happens behind closed doors at other properties is a matter for brothers to work out between each other as family, which Andrew is regardless.

what evidence is there that he is learnng anything?

Well, he has (correctly) learned that standing on a thick newspaper will somewhat protect your feet from the cold wet ground! I used to work outside in the snow- as a home energy auditor, as it happens- and I always had the Sunday times to stand on when necessary.

Andrew is to proud to not have staff - but I imagine they are slowly and slowly reducing over time now he has no need for staff to run an "official office". Separating him from the "working royals" by not allowing him an apartment or office within BP makes perfect sense. Anne and the Wessex's have moved to St James during the renovation and I imagine in part what we are seeing is also a sign that there will be no room for Andrew if / when the others move back.

Sarah was using the Court post office until quite recently so it will be interesting to see if they both stop using it now. Andrew doesn't, I would imagine, get much fan mail anway.

Last edited:
Well, he has (correctly) learned that standing on a thick newspaper will somewhat protect your feet from the cold wet ground! I used to work outside in the snow- as a home energy auditor, as it happens- and I always had the Sunday times to stand on when necessary.

I dont understand what you are saying

I found it very odd that his sensible suggestion to stand on the newspaper was considered bizarre by some.

Am I Missing something? What is this bout Andrew and a newspaper?

I learnt the trick in the Guides - when I hike in cold weather I still insulate with newspaper to protect my kidneys and back.
If you have a Ski or cold weather hiking jacket - there is a hidden pocket on your back - that is to place newspaper in when it is very cold or the wind chill factor very high. Newspaper works just as good and is a lot cheaper then the store brought.
The royals know this trick - they carry newspaper with them when they go shooting.

The tabloids - rather the online tabloids - were trying to make this a class elitest comment. It didn't work as most British people know this. We use newspaper for everything.

Am I Missing something? What is this bout Andrew and a newspaper?
The DF reported that Andrew told one of the people waiting at Sandringham that standing on a newspaper was a good way to warm up your feet. The paper called it "bizarre advice."

I found it very odd that his sensible suggestion to stand on the newspaper was considered bizarre by some.

Whatever Andrew says now is bound to offend someone, somewhere. If he publicly says Sienna is a beauty, he is going to get dragged for snubbing Wolfie.:cool:

The DF reported that Andrew told one of the people waiting at Sandringham that standing on a newspaper was a good way to warm up your feet. The paper called it "bizarre advice."

Its quite true, but honestly i doubt if Andrew's likely to say anything to a member of the public now. I find it hard to believe that anyone in the crowd spoke to him or that he would have said anything in public, given that even when he was mourning his mother, he got abused by a member of the public. ON xmas day, he seemed to be walking a little apart from the rest of the family.

Last edited:
Its quite true, but honestly i doubt if Andrew's likely to say anything to a member of the public now. I find it hard to believe that anyone in the crowd spoke to him or that he would have said anything in public, given that even when he was mourning his mother, he got abused by a member of the public. ON xmas day, he seemed to be walking a little apart from the rest of the family.

No, he walked WITH the family.

No, he walked WITH the family.

Obviously they were all togehter but it seemed to me that Andrew was on his own, rather than walking close to his siblings. I just find it hard to beleive that he said anything to a member of the public..and they might well have been advised not to call out to Andrew.

I see, I suppose it was felt that it would look good if he spoke to old ladies in wheelchairs, and he would likely not get any bad feedback from them.

One video I saw had some of those "little old ladies" calling him over and wishing him a happy Christmas.

I saw the same video. These ladies are old enough to remember when Prince Andrew risked his life for Britain in uniform.:cool:

Obviously they were all togehter but it seemed to me that Andrew was on his own, rather than walking close to his siblings. I just find it hard to beleive that he said anything to a member of the public..and they might well have been advised not to call out to Andrew.

Someone from the BRF advised the public not to speak to Andrew? Surely not!

On the video I saw Andrew was walking behind his daughter and their husbands with Edward and James. He then stood to the side a bit while Beatrice and Edo greeted the minister before going into the church. After the service he also clearly is walking with Edward and James along with his daughters and someone in the crowd clearly speaks to him and he responds.

I’m under the impression that everyone believes Andrew should not even exist anymore. Whatever he does, you’ll never like him. Even if he talks to elder people on wheelchair, some will complain he did it because of the photographers around.

I think that, if many many people still support him, he must have done something good as well in his life. To me, people should be more matured and don’t believe everything they read on tabloids or merely follow the fashion.

He, like countless non-working royals, walked to the church on Xmas Day. He walked along with his family and there’s nothing wrong with it. He even stepped ahead, just behind the Wales as per the protocol. I’m glad to be able to see him around again! He’s not the devil, or at least there’s still no evidence at all he is.

Someone from the BRF advised the public not to speak to Andrew? Surely not!
why not? I dont mean the Royals themselves but one of their aides, given the bad reception that Andrew got even jus after the queens death

Back
Top Bottom