"Courtiers, The Hidden Power Behind The Crown" by Valentine Low (2022)

If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sun Lion

Heir Presumptive
City
Sydney
Country
Australia
Valentine Low of The Times has a book coming out.

He says it will deal with the cloud over Andrew, and Harry and Meghan’s exit from the Royal Family.

He says he is a bit annoyed with Prince Harry … he had to rush his own a bit, under pressure from his publisher, due to Harry’s book also being soon to come out. :lol:

He jokes that he and the Prince could do the breakfast show circuit together when it’s time to hit the promotion trail … Harry saying how bad everything was, and he, Mr Low, saying how much fun Harry used to be.

Mr Low is the journalist who covered the bullying stories that came from her Palace staff against Meghan.

He was on “60 Minutes Australia” a week ago and said that the Duchess’ lawyers sent him the longest legal letter he’s ever received, full of bluster.

He, Mr Low, didn’t back down and says he hasn’t heard from them since.

This may be an interesting book, given that angle.

Here’s a link with the cover and some details:

https://www.hachette.com.au/valentine-low/courtiers

Last edited:
This book does sound very interesting, I think I will give it a try when it comes out. Thanks for sharing this SunLion.

This book does sound very interesting, I think I will give it a try when it comes out. Thanks for sharing this SunLion.

Yes Lori138, I wonder if this will be some sort of vehicle for the “Palace Four” … who volunteered to take the witness stand in the trial that didn’t eventuate … or for the staff who felt bullied, and want to rebuff the claims in the Winfrey interview.

Time will tell of course.

Mr Low comes across well in interviews, but maybe I’m swayed by his posh voice!

This sounds interesting. I don't know how he is structuring the book but the courtier that I am most interested in is Angela Kelly. A thought that I have had for a while is that in future decades her relationship with Queen Elizabeth II may be remembered in a similar way to John Brown's relationship to Queen Victoria, not the Mrs. Brown type stuff, but a staffer who developed a close relationship with the monarch.

Yes Lori138, I wonder if this will be some sort of vehicle for the “Palace Four” … who volunteered to take the witness stand in the trial that didn’t eventuate … or for the staff who felt bullied, and want to rebuff the claims in the Winfrey interview.
Were all four willing to testify? I could be misremembering but I recall that there were stories that the witnesses who were gung ho to testify and then stories that the witnesses did not want to testify, and I reconciled the contradiction in my head that not all four had the same sentiments, some wanted to testify and others did not.

I'm not sure what I think about this book. To some extent, the Royals are fair game for books, but the "courtiers" are just employees doing their job, and that doesn't really include being written about by a third party. It's not very clear whether or not any of them have actually spoken to the author.

:previous: I assumed the book would deal more with those high-level staff who actually advise and guide the monarchy Queen Claude and Alison H, who keep it on track.

Other staff, while in close contact with various Royals … Angela Kelly to the Queen, Michael Fawcett to Prince Charles, Paul Burrell to Diana … they didn’t occur to me as courtiers, but as employees.

I had the impression it will be more about the power behind the throne, those who support the institution above any support for a Royal and their ego or foibles.

Last edited:
Angela Levin's got a book about Camilla coming out, and there's another Omid Scobie one coming, plus Harry's book ... it just seems to be one after another at the moment. Just hoping that they're not all mud-slinging.

It is very uncivil and unpolite and ungrateful to be -or have been- in a loyal service to persons and then blab-blab-blab-blab (for money eventually) about said persons.

It is very uncivil and unpolite and ungrateful to be -or have been- in a loyal service to persons and then blab-blab-blab-blab (for money eventually) about said persons.
Some Courtiers over the years who have had bones to pick with certain family members have told information to members of the press so it’s not that shocking.

Amazon Prime in Canada is broadcasting the two seasons of The Great: a highly entertaining if historically inaccurate version of the life of Catherine the Great of Russia. I have been watching with great enjoyment and can highly recommend, if you can stand unadulterated violence, sex and swearing…))-

The first excerpt of this book is out in the times and it will be everywhere and likely described as “explosive” in most cases.

I’ve just read it. If half the behavior described in it is true, it contributes quite a lot to understanding why things have gone the way they have with regard to the Sussex couple.

"Courtiers, The Hidden Power Behind The Crown" by Valentine Low (2022)

Agreed.

This actually is explosive. And very very detailed. The staff talked. I can’t overstate how badly Harry and Meghan come off across the board. It explains a lot though.

Given what was said and how litigious the Sussexes are- I would think the lawyers were very thorough in their review of this book.

Last edited:
Agreed.

This actually is explosive. And very very detailed. The staff talked. I can’t overstate how badly Harry and Meghan come off across the board. It explains a lot though.

Given what was said and how litigious the Sussexes are- I would think the lawyers were very thorough in their review of this book.

That was my thought too. Valentine Low is also Oxford educated and works for The Times rather than one of the tabloids. He’s much more difficult to discredit and I would presume his work is of higher journalistic caliber than similar offerings.

I’ve already ordered my copy, and will be following the stories out of this with a lot of interest.

Can someone not archive the excerpt so we can judge for ourselves?

The first excerpt of this book is out in the times and it will be everywhere and likely described as “explosive” in most cases.

I’ve just read it. If half the behavior described in it is true, it contributes quite a lot to understanding why things have gone the way they have with regard to the Sussex couple.

I've just read the first excerpt and I agree that "explosive" is an apt description. :ohmy:

That was my thought too. Valentine Low is also Oxford educated and works for The Times rather than one of the tabloids. He’s much more difficult to discredit and I would presume his work is of higher journalistic caliber than similar offerings.

I’ve already ordered my copy, and will be following the stories out of this with a lot of interest.

I haven’t bought a book on modern royalty in ten years or more, but it took me about two minutes after reading the except in The Times to check Amazon, realize I couldn’t wait until the 2023 North American release, check how to get it delivered from the UK when it’s released there, and order it. The writing and depth of reporting seems to be a cut above the usual offerings, and if the level of detail in the excerpt holds true for the entire book then it should be an informative as well as enjoyable read.

I haven’t bought a book on modern royalty in ten years or more, but it took me about two minutes after reading the except in The Times to check Amazon, realize I couldn’t wait until the 2023 North American release, check how to get it delivered from the UK when it’s released there, and order it. The writing and depth of reporting seems to be a cut above the usual offerings, and if the level of detail in the excerpt holds true for the entire book then it should be an informative as well as enjoyable read.

I’m in the US and I’ve ordered a copy from Waterstones, as I have for previous books released in the UK before the U.S.

They’re good about delivery!

A “please” would have been nice, but sure, I’ll do the work.

https://archive.ph/DyX3B

Thank you for posting. It is very interesting but this section relies a lot on anonymous sources. I'm uncomfortable with launching such a serious attack using unnamed sources because it is hard to disprove, if the person is innocent. On the other hand, Harry and Meghan have made very vague attacks on the royal family that are hard to disprove.

Thank you for posting. It is very interesting but this section relies a lot on anonymous sources. I'm uncomfortable with launching such a serious attack using unnamed sources because it is hard to disprove, if the person is innocent. On the other hand, Harry and Meghan have made very vague attacks on the royal family that are hard to disprove.

There are several direct quotes attributed to staffers who agreed to be interviewed. Though they are unnamed, because the circumstances are described in such detail, who it is will be very clear to everyone who worked in the royal households- especially since descriptions are given of conversations with multiple witnesses.

If it was made up, it would be legally actionable. Valentine Low is the one who broke the bullying story originally, and gave a week’s response time. No legal action has ever arisen from that reporting and I doubt he’ll be sued over this one either.

I doubt there will be a lawsuit. To date there's no complaint being filled against his article and no lawsuit against Tom Bower's book so likely there'll be none for this book as well. Either it's because they finally listen to their advisor that it's a futile battle or money problem hence they have to pick their battle (lawyers, PR, their own staff, and security surely cost them lot of money).

They did try to counter this bullying allegation though, via Afia's statement on BBC documentary (which I think is weak defence since she basically comparing her 7 year old (?) daughter to several grown up professionals).

I wonder whether Low landed on this bullying story while he's working on this book or the other way around ...

I doubt there will be a lawsuit. To date there's no complaint being filled against his article and no lawsuit against Tom Bower's book so likely there'll be none for this book as well. Either it's because they finally listen to their advisor that it's a futile battle or money problem hence they have to pick their battle (lawyers, PR, their own staff, and security surely cost them lot of money).

They did try to counter this bullying allegation though, via Afia's statement on BBC documentary (which I think is weak defence since she basically comparing her 7 year old (?) daughter to several grown up professionals).

I wonder whether Low landed on this bullying story while he's working on this book or the other way around ...

That’s a very good question. And of course, if any of this is a way off base, there is nothing preventing the named people from speaking out- Melissa Toubati, Jason Knauf, Samantha Cohen, Sara Latham, etc could release statements refuting this. So far, none have.

What got me was Afia's claim that the reports didn't match her experience of Meghan. That's all well and good, but ultimately meaningless, because a bully show different faces to different people at different times. A lawyer should be capable of recognizing that.

There are several direct quotes attributed to staffers who agreed to be interviewed. Though they are unnamed, because the circumstances are described in such detail, who it is will be very clear to everyone who worked in the royal households- especially since descriptions are given of conversations with multiple witnesses.

If it was made up, it would be legally actionable. Valentine Low is the one who broke the bullying story originally, and gave a week’s response time. No legal action has ever arisen from that reporting and I doubt he’ll be sued over this one either.
I have no doubt that Mr. Low accurately recorded what he was told. The question is whether the sources have some reason to fabricate or exaggerate what happened. Some sources are commenting on events that happened to a third party.

Personally, I believe the staffers. There are too many allegations and (and Mr. Knauf is on record). Also, Mr. Low reported that he personally witnessed Meghan harshly speak to a staff person. But as a rule, I prefer that writers identify the sources when making allegations that are so harmful to another's reputation.

There is another possible reason: the information in Tom Bower's book was true - and truth is an absolute defense in a defamation case.

Last edited:
I have seen the extracts and I’m not really shocked given that it was this author who broke out the news of the bullying. Other media outlets reported this too when some staffers left.

The allegations and series of events in the extract of the Courtiers, The Hidden Power Behind The Crown were damning, explosive, but at the same time not surprising given the reaction from the Sussexes on how they felt "unsupported" and of course Valentine Low's article published in The Times. The extract did confirm what a lot of people have speculated: The Sussexes have been 1) Very adamant and demanding on what needs to be done. 2) Perceive any deviation or differing advice as "unsupportive/unprotecting" or being against them. 3) Not keen on following standards or protocol set up by Royal Family and Palaces.

It does speak volume that even Sara Latham who was sympathetic to Meghan and who held possibly similar belief as her have difficulties working with the Sussexes. However, it is not surprising that Harry clashed with Palace staffs even before Meghan arrived, given that he is known for being a "royal rebel" and not keen on following the standard protocol. The recount below is giving the energy of "If you don't agree with me, you are against me and just part of the establishment/institution".

“He would use this phrase the whole time, ‘the palace syndrome’, when you won’t fight the battles he wants, because you have been institutionalised. Giving in to the media was a key symptom of whether you had developed it. It was a constant test of loyalty: ‘Are you going to protect me? Or have you just become one of them, who won’t fight for me?’ It was exhausting.”

There is also the thought of what if Meghan had just follow and understand the role of a working royal from the beginning. What Lord Chamberlain, Earl Peel said below does sound promising that she was willing to learn and fulfil the role as a working royal. The main problem was the way she treated those working for them, particular junior staff.

At this time, at the Queen’s request, the Lord Chamberlain, Earl Peel – the most senior figure in the household – went to see the couple to explain to Meghan how the palace worked. He recalled, “I liked her, actually. She was very forthright. Very, very polite. Very understanding. She wanted to learn.”

However, relations between Meghan and the team at Kensington Palace were fraying fast. In late 2017, after the couple’s engagement was announced, a senior aide discreetly raised with the couple the difficulties caused by their treatment of staff. People needed to be treated well and with some understanding, even when they were not performing to Harry and Meghan’s standards, they suggested. Meghan was said to have replied, “It’s not my job to coddle people.”

Meanwhile, she wasn’t dealing with the more junior staff, even people whom William and Kate – and Harry, before Meghan came along – had been quite happy to engage with. It seemed that she wanted respect and having to talk to someone a bit further down the pecking order – in a small office, where there wasn’t much of a pecking order – wasn’t treating her with respect. “She would take it as an insult,” believes one source.

Perhaps the most concerning part of the extract is that Meghan was almost threatening to break off the relationship if Harry does not release the infamous public statement at the end of 2016. She was going 100% on the "my way or the highway" approach even before getting engaged. The palace staff were definitely bending over backwards for her. It does contradict Earl Peel's recount that Meghan was "very forthright. Very, very polite. Very understanding. She wanted to learn". All I can gather from this is that Meghan is headstrong and knew she was going to join the Royal Family even before being engaged, especially with “I think we both know I’m going to be one of your bosses soon.”

Faced with hordes of journalists intent on trawling through every aspect of Meghan’s life, Harry became determined to protect his girlfriend. Meghan, meanwhile, told him that if he did not do something about it, she would break off the relationship. A source said: “She was saying, ‘If you don’t put out a statement confirming I’m your girlfriend, I’m going to break up with you.’ ” Harry was in a panic. Another source said: “He was freaking out, saying, ‘She’s going to dump me.’ ”

(...)

Harry phoned Knauf, demanding that he put out a statement confirming that Meghan was his girlfriend and condemning the racist and sexist undertones of some of the media coverage. Meghan wanted public validation that this was a serious relationship. She was convinced that the palace was unwilling to protect her from media intrusion. She told Harry’s staff: “I know how the palace works. I know how this is going to play out. You don’t care about the girlfriend.”

This, however, was just the beginning. Keeping Meghan happy – and, by extension, keeping Harry happy – was an ongoing challenge. Harry’s staff knew that Meghan was different from other royal girlfriends. She had her own opinions and would let people know what they were. In the spring of 2017, more than six months before the couple were engaged, she told one of Harry’s advisers: “I think we both know I’m going to be one of your bosses soon.”

There is also the thought of what if Meghan had just follow and understand the role of a working royal from the beginning. What Lord Chamberlain, Earl Peel said below does sound promising that she was willing to learn and fulfil the role as a working royal. The main problem was the way she treated those working for them, particular junior staff.

Perhaps the most concerning part of the extract is that Meghan was almost threatening to break off the relationship if Harry does not release the infamous public statement at the end of 2016. She was going 100% on the "my way or the highway" approach even before getting engaged. The palace staff were definitely bending over backwards for her. It does contradict Earl Peel's recount that Meghan was "very forthright. Very, very polite. Very understanding. She wanted to learn". All I can gather from this is that Meghan is headstrong and knew she was going to join the Royal Family even before being engaged, especially with “I think we both know I’m going to be one of your bosses soon.”

To me, it actually made sense that someone could be very polite to the Lord Chamberlain, who she would have known was very powerful in the royal hierarchy, but rude to those she perceived as junior. It's like someone sucking up to the CEO of their company while abusing the administrative staff.

Is this book going to concentrate on the Sussexes and their difficulties with staff or is Low going to put other royals under the microscope also? For instance there have been quite a few stories over the years of Charles’s treatment of aides. And what about Andrew?

Also, what Meghan said to Harry about splitting up with him if he didn’t defend her is attributed to an anonymous source. Why are we supposed to believe such a source? What was supposedly said was apparently in a private conversation. Was someone listening in on Meghan’s end and then told Low? Unlikely! Are we supposed to believe that Harry told staff that his girlfriend had given him an ultimatum and that he was scared? Doesn’t sound much like Harry to me!

Back
Top Bottom